Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
21 crawler(s) on-line.
 157 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

DiscreetFX,  Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  2 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  4 mins ago
 saimo:  8 mins ago
 amigakit:  10 mins ago
 OldFart:  10 mins ago
 _ThEcRoW:  29 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  57 mins ago
 retrofaza:  57 mins ago
 Rob:  58 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 21 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Buy out AmigaOS once and for all?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
bison 
Re: Buy out AmigaOS once and for all?
Posted on 10-Feb-2018 18:19:15
#81 ]
Elite Member

@paolone

Quote:
not precisely the same, but at least something near.

I do something similar with bash. My .bashrc file contains:

shopt -s cdable_vars

function assign {
if [ $# -eq 1 ]; then
eval value=\$$1
if [ $value ]; then
echo $value
fi
elif [ $# -eq 2 ]; then
eval value=\$$1
if [ $2 == '-exists' ]; then
if [ $value ]; then
echo $value
fi
elif [ $2 == '-remove' ]; then
unset $1
elif [ $value ]; then
echo "'$1' is already set: use -replace to override"
else
export $1=$2
fi
elif [ $# -eq 3 ]; then
eval value=\$$1
if [ $3 == '-replace' ]; then
export $1=$2
fi
else
echo 'assign: usage: assign NAME [-exists | TARGET [-replace] | -remove]'
fi
}

bison@home ~ $ assign foo /usr/local/bin
bison@home ~ $ cd foo
/usr/local/bin
bison@home /usr/local/bin $ cd
bison@home ~ $ assign foo -exists
/usr/local/bin
bison@home ~ $ assign foo -remove
bison@home ~ $ assign foo -exists
bison@home ~ $

Updated for posterity. This could be made to be a lot closer to Amiga syntax, if that's what you want. What I wanted is an assign command that fits in with Linux/Unix userspace without looking out of place, hence the syntax changes.

Last edited by bison on 09-Sep-2018 at 09:24 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
resle 
Posted on 10-Feb-2018 23:53:53
#82 ]
Cult Member

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:

As became obvious with the "almost or never bankruptcy" ;) Hyperion has no real office, Full-time developers do not exist either and most work is done by volunteers for free

This is the "company" AmigaOS has been in the hands of for the last 15 years.

How is this any different than leaving AmigaOS in the hands of the opensource community?

I can tell you how it is the same:

- The open source community also has no real offices.
- In the open source community, most work is also done by volunteers for free.

I can also tell you how it's not:

- In the open source community you get daily builds. Not a build every 2 years (maybe).
- In the open source community you don't have to pay 30, 40, 100 euro per release.

Quote:

Agami wrote:

When it comes to M&A's the most common rule of thumb for a revenue generating business it to take the most recent year's revenue and times that by five.

Almost correct. Actually it's the past fiscal year, to be taken into account. Doesn't matter if your company had a decade of glorious income, it's last year's revenue that matters. In Hyperion's case that's probably pocket change. Companies with no revenue don't sell the company itself, they sell the assets one by one until the company is left a hollow shell, creditors are repaid where possible, and then the company gets folded.

BigD 
Posted on 11-Feb-2018 13:29:39
#83 ]
Elite Member

@resle

A-EON provide the money and leadership for development so the state of Hyperion's offices/company structure is almost irrelevant at this point. They are a management/legal company that holds and defends the IP while out sourcing the work to others. They are like a positive and pro-active Amiga Inc.IMHO.

Open Sourcing would lead to a final fragmentation of assets and would lead to AROS vs AmigaOS Open Source competition where AmigaOS would stumble and both would likely cease to exist in 10 years. AmigaOS is not Linux it's more like RISC OS therefore Hyperion should port AmigaOS to ARM and the Raspberry Pi to get people to try it but Open Source wouldn't necessarily speed that up or offer a product on par with RISC OS.

Last edited by BigD on 11-Feb-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 11-Feb-2018 at 01:32 PM.

broadblues 
Posted on 11-Feb-2018 16:06:04
#84 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@cgutjahr

Quote:

Let me rephrase what broadblues said, he's too polite for his own good sometimes:

You are assuming the owners are sane.

Please don't use my words to express your predjudices. You're entitled to your opinion, but please express it as *your* opinion, not a "interpretation" of mine.

Signal 
Posted on 11-Feb-2018 17:05:42
#85 ]
Cult Member

@ Thread
AmigaOS on:

1. It has to be on x86 it's the only way to go.
2. Only Powerpc can provide compatibility and must stay on that.
3. ARM is cheap and can get more users.
4. It must be ported to what is on or under my desk.

Perhaps agreement should be made on hardware first?
Embedded system?
PeeCee motherboard?
Something different to set it aside from the crowd?

Something all 4 OS's can collaborate on and compete on the same play field.

3.....2......1......GO

cgutjahr 
Posted on 11-Feb-2018 18:10:02
#86 ]
Cult Member

@broadblues

Quote:

You're entitled to your opinion, but please express it as *your* opinion, not a "interpretation" of mine.

Didn't mean to imply anything about your opinion, I'm aware you're trying very hard not to see the insanity ;)

Sorry, honest mistake.

kolla 
Posted on 12-Jun-2021 11:32:13
#87 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

So you want Amiga to be more like this?
https://www.riscosopen.org/content/downloads/risc-os-tarballs

If AmigaOS was open sourced, AROS and AmigaOS could merge, and become one - that is a heck lot more probable than this fragmentation nonsense you go on about - there simply isn’t enough people around interested, willing and capable of doing “forks”.

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 12-Jun-2021 11:40:03
#88 ]
From: AMIGAWORLD.NET WAS ORIGINALLY FOUNDED BY DAVID DOYLE

@kolla

Quote:

kolla wrote:
@BigD

So you want Amiga to be more like this?
https://www.riscosopen.org/content/downloads/risc-os-tarballs

If AmigaOS was open sourced, AROS and AmigaOS could merge, and become one - that is a heck lot more probable than this fragmentation nonsense you go on about - there simply isn’t enough people around interested, willing and capable of doing “forks”.

Hence:
WHO COULD FREE IT, SHOULD DO SO

kolla 
Posted on 12-Jun-2021 12:44:19
#89 ]
Elite Member

@Signal

Quote:

Embedded system

This one I really don’t grasp, what pleasure would it give anyone that the OS running behind some embedded application is this or that? If AmigaOS was behind some of some embedded doorbell system or info board, what benefit would that give anyone? What benefits did the community have from the hundreds (??) of SCALA A4000s that were deployed around in hotels and train stations way back when?

BigD 
Posted on 12-Jun-2021 13:03:54
#90 ]
Elite Member

@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

Quote:

MEGA_RJ_MICAL wrote:

Hence:
WHO COULD FREE IT, SHOULD DO SO

You are more of a complete ‘tool’ than I thought if you think pirating the 3.1 source code will get us out of this mess! Piracy killed the Amiga game industry prematurely and even if C= had survived no big publisher in 1993 saw the Amiga market as profitable for big releases! Piracy is BAD get it into your thick skull! At least AmigaOS 3.2 IS legal to buy currently despite the legal molasses around Hyperion’s licensee terms etc. You my friend are no friend of the Amiga IMHO!

Last edited by BigD on 12-Jun-2021 at 01:04 PM.

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 12-Jun-2021 14:00:55
#91 ]
From: AMIGAWORLD.NET WAS ORIGINALLY FOUNDED BY DAVID DOYLE

@BigD

Friend BigD,

Hyperion are the pirates. Taking something back from their blood-soaked, mud-coated, trash-encrusted hands, would be LIBERATING assets, not stealing them.

Ask Jesus!

/MEGA
#FREEDOTFREE Movement for the liberation of Workbench!!!!!!

kolla 
Posted on 13-Jun-2021 8:32:50
#92 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Piracy was not what killed Amiga games… an awkward and limited chipset as well as lack of sufficiently powered “base line” did, along with CBM going bust and a very uncertain future for the platform as a whole. Amiga was “retro” by the arrivals of Doom and friends, and of course PlayStation. A large percentage of my Amiga systems were bought from friends who moved to PC and PlayStation…

And then there’s the relation between games creators and games crackers.

Oh and “Internet” and “LAN gaming” didn’t help - for A1200 there was only ONE ethernet solution - the ICard PCMCIA card from IAM - and it was rare, expensive and very unreliable in use. It wasn’t until cnet.device several years later, that it was possible to get A1200s online on LAN in a reasonable and reliable way.

Last edited by kolla on 13-Jun-2021 at 08:40 AM.

BigD 
Posted on 13-Jun-2021 9:23:32
#93 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

Don’t kid yourself, null modem deathmatch type modes were fine for the early 90s. The problem was the market never moved on from the stock A500 in ANY volume. Yes, Team17 mandated 1MB for their games so a few RAM expansions were sold but people in my class at school got an A500 to swap pirated games. I don’t think ANY of that group ever got a hard drive for their Amiga never mind upgraded to an A1200! All A1200 owners in my experience were new to the Amiga other than one!

I’m surprised that many games broke even during that era (after 1992). I think “developed on the Amiga, sold on the MegaDrive” could have been an official tag line of many of the games. I was guilty of buying magazines with cover disc versions of games, Xtreme Racing springs to mind but I bought the Data Disks on the back of that. My friend copied Speedball 2 for me but I’m glad it didn’t work on my AGA Amiga because the CD32 version was only £12.99 by that time! It still doesn’t mean it sold in volume

To be honest did Deluxe Paint sell in any volume past version 3? I think all the profit came from hardware bundles!

We have YouTube tribute parties for crack parties and X-Copy for goodness sake! A500 owners were very fortunate to get Worms in 1995 and I bet 60% still pirated it before getting a PC or PlayStation!

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 13-Jun-2021 16:52:09
#94 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Getting pirated games was easier then going to the computer store, to buy games. I was young back then when to school, had no work, I got small amount money for doing cleaning and washing at home, most of that went to coca cola. Now I’m paying my dentist for my sins.

Anyway the same was true for everyone in my class, its silly to think piracy did not have impact, if was not a problem they wont have wasted time on DRM, copy protected CD, DVD’s and games. There where games that where pirated before they were released.

This was pretty public, there contact information on back of Swedish computer magazine DMZ. Demos and intros was full of BBS numbers you can call, and contract information to known pirates. We went to the old kids, they often had newer stuff.

Every year people went to copy party’s they where public and rented out by the local government in local handball halls to know demo groups, where kids went to play and copy games. Drinking coca cola 24/7 for 5 days.

It did not matter if you where son of a police officer, or son of a priest, everyone did it, piracy was so common it was not really considered a crime.

When I did buy games, I did so by buying cover disk, to get the game at discount.

A lot of game development moved to SEGA & Nintendo that had strong copy protection, PlayStation 1 has copy protection, PS2, and PS3, XBOX came with copy protection, now every game need to be online, and everyone needs an only account, games are becoming bigger and more expensive to make, Multi player is now requirement, if your not on the steam store, you have hard time making a living. There are not lot successful independent developers, many try, and many do it just as hobby.

Sure you argue that it was the same for PC games as Amiga gamers, and you are right, but console market, did not have that problem.

it was for sure contributing factor, but main factor was that Amiga where unable to compete with PC market after 1993. Because Amiga graphic was slow, too little ram, and no hd drive, no cdrom, no hd floppy drive, and no way to use inexpensive PC upgrades.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 13-Jun-2021 at 05:45 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 13-Jun-2021 at 05:44 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 13-Jun-2021 at 05:34 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 13-Jun-2021 at 05:25 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 13-Jun-2021 at 05:23 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 13-Jun-2021 at 05:22 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 13-Jun-2021 at 05:18 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 13-Jun-2021 at 05:15 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 13-Jun-2021 at 05:14 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 13-Jun-2021 at 05:11 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 13-Jun-2021 at 05:02 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 13-Jun-2021 at 05:01 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 13-Jun-2021 at 04:53 PM.

matthey 
Posted on 13-Jun-2021 20:14:28
#95 ]

kolla Quote:

This one I really don’t grasp, what pleasure would it give anyone that the OS running behind some embedded application is this or that? If AmigaOS was behind some of some embedded doorbell system or info board, what benefit would that give anyone? What benefits did the community have from the hundreds (??) of SCALA A4000s that were deployed around in hotels and train stations way back when?

Like embedded systems themselves, the "pleasure" derived is hidden away and out of thought. How much sooner would CBM have gone bankrupt without the Toaster, kiosks and other embedded systems? How much sooner would the 68k architecture have ended without embedded sales? How many PPC chips would be available in Amiga like computers today without embedded sales?

Embedded systems make hardware cheaper through economies of scale which is huge in the computer market. Why is ARM hardware so cheap? Why are smart phones so cheap. Why is the Raspberry Pi so cheap?

OlafS25 
Posted on 14-Jun-2021 10:38:24
#96 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

on a professional level (applications) the market was too small and only few had sophisticated hardware capable of running professional business software (only excpetion desktop video).

The area where most amigas were used were as home computer and for gaming.

The general problem was the market was too small (compared to the PC market), amiga hardware was not developed enough (AGA already was too little too late) and you had to invest a lot of additional efforts in the amiga versions because at beginning of 90s because at that time standard amiga configuration still was A500 with 2 disc drives and 1 MB. At that time PCs mostly already had hard drives and VGA. Piracy was everywhere but because of the small market it was more harmful. But even if that would not happened (more people buying games and not only copying then) amiga would have had no chance to compete anymore at that time. Piracy perhaps was one nail in the coffin but not the only one.

OlafS25 
Posted on 14-Jun-2021 10:42:31
#97 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

First I used C64 and then changed to amiga. On both platforms "piracy" was standard. As far as I know the same was true for PC. The difference is size of market. If you have a huge market even with piracy you still sell enough copies. Piracy might have accellerated the end of amiga but I think the bigger problem was product strategy and missing developments of Commodore and that average amiga hardware more and more lagged behind PCs or game consoles. At beginning of 90s still A500 with 2 disc drives as standard...

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 14-Jun-2021 12:28:31
#98 ]
Elite Member

@matthey

Smartphones are cheap? They cost more than my A500 cost in 1988.

Last edited by DiscreetFX on 14-Jun-2021 at 12:29 PM.

Kronos 
Posted on 14-Jun-2021 13:25:35
#99 ]
Elite Member

@DiscreetFX

No idea what an A500 cost in 88 but apply some realistic inflation and you end up with the cost of an top of the line maxed out smartphone.

Ignoring that there are plenty of really cheap smartphones on the market.

Now back to the totally stupid (see signature) topic of thread.

Rose 
Posted on 14-Jun-2021 13:48:48
#100 ]
Cult Member

@Kronos

Quote:
No idea what an A500 cost in 88 but apply some realistic inflation and you end up with the cost of an top of the line maxed out smartphone.

Looks like MSRP was $699 which makes it $1647.70 of todays money.

Quote:
Now back to the totally stupid (see signature) topic of thread.

It's not even most stupid active thread today...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle