Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 122 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  31 mins ago
 MarcioD:  54 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 NancyNash:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 Hypex:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 Karlos:  2 hrs 12 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  2 hrs 18 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  Billy Graham's Thanksgiving / Funeral Service
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
BigD 
Re: Billy Graham's Thanksgiving / Funeral Service
Posted on 5-Mar-2018 23:33:00
#21 ]
Elite Member

@jorit2

Quote:
And if only you would keep it to yourself, and didn't feel the need to ... spread your word, I wouldn't even care.

That's the point of this whole thread. Christians are called to "make disciples of ALL nations" Matthew 28:19. A Christian who keeps the Gospel to himself is the definition of a flawed and ineffective Christian. The fact that Billy Graham took this command from Jesus seriously is why he is celebrated and remembered by people across the world. Maybe now YOU get it

Profile     Report this post  
jorit2 
Posted on 6-Mar-2018 0:03:30
#22 ]

@BigD

Quote:

That's the point of this whole thread. Christians are called to "make disciples of ALL nations" Matthew 28:19. A Christian who keeps the Gospel to himself is the definition of a flawed and ineffective Christian. The fact that Billy Graham took this command from Jesus seriously is why he is celebrated and remembered by people across the world. Maybe now YOU get it

Ah well, I'll keep fighting this pathetic crap till the end of my days, and I'll keep looking down on dangerous loonies like Billy G. It would make me a flawed and ineffective human being if I didn't.

Evert

BigD 
Posted on 6-Mar-2018 0:18:25
#23 ]
Elite Member

@jorit2

At least you're engaging with it man! A little humility, a more open mind and some prayer and I'm sure God will give you a few more opportunities to turn to Him. Then again a member of my church's congregation was recently suddenly called to be with his Lord and Saviour and he was little over 40! You never know when your time is up! Don't leave it too long to explore the Gospels. Start with Mark as it's the shortest

Last edited by BigD on 06-Mar-2018 at 12:18 AM.

jorit2 
Posted on 6-Mar-2018 0:28:24
#24 ]

@BigD

LOL

But whether my time is up or not doesn't have anything to do with it.
Actually, the fact that there is no hereafter is exactly what gives sense to my life, now, here, hic et nunc. The fact that there is nothing after this is exactly, what makes me want to be a good human being now. And whether I'm good or not, I'll leave it to my peers to judge. But I'll follow my own judgment regardless.
I don't want there to be anything after this, it's pointless. It doesn't make sense.

But I'm done with this conversation.

Evert

Last edited by jorit2 on 06-Mar-2018 at 12:31 AM.

BigD 
Posted on 6-Mar-2018 8:16:14
#25 ]
Elite Member

@jorit2

Quote:
I don't want there to be anything after this,

I guess that's where open mindedness comes in. If you ever became more open to finding out the truth rather than backing up you 'assumption' that there is nothing after death then Mark's Gospel is waiting for you to read.

jorit2 
Posted on 6-Mar-2018 10:07:21
#26 ]

@BigD

Quote:
I guess that's where open mindedness comes in. If you ever became more open to finding out the truth rather than backing up you 'assumption' that there is nothing after death then Mark's Gospel is waiting for you to read.

You sir, must be the most retarded christian I've ever dealt with.

As so many in our western society, I was baptised etc ... I've been exposed to this crap for much of my younger years, did this confession of faith (looking for correct english term: confirmation maybe ?)

It is an open mindedness you keep referring to (in a nice pot/kettle/black-fashion) that led me to walk away from it.

Evert

Nimrod 
Posted on 7-Mar-2018 20:37:36
#27 ]

@BigD
What evidence do you have to set your imaginary friend up as any different than Anoia, Benzeiten, Cronus, Dionysus, Eros, Freya, Geb, Hera, Isis, Jupiter, Kephri Loki, Marduk, Nemesis, Osiris, Poseidon, Quetzalcoatl, Ra, Saturn, Tengri, Uller, Vesta, Wadjet, Xanthe, Yakshini, or Zeus.
There are over 1100 different religions, and your preferred religion, Christianity, is subdivided into over 42,000 different denominations, persuasions, movements, communities, schisms, sects, orders and cults. Many of them involved in violent disputes with other "Christians". This very disunity among followers is the best possible indication that there is not a single grain of truth in the entire stinking cesspit of religious ideology.

As strange as this will sound to you, but I have actually read the "Wholly Babble" What do you think made me become an Atheist? The author of "Mark" knew nothing of the geography of Galilee or of Jewish law.

BigD 
Posted on 7-Mar-2018 20:54:27
#28 ]
Elite Member

@Nimrod

This thread is not about man made religions it is about Billy Graham and how a living faith in Jesus Christ motivated him to spread the Gospel to the nations and many influential leaders of the world! No pointless 'religion' would have inspired such a selfless life. Going through the motions of faithless Christenings and confirmation class rituals would have held no truck with him. Study your favourite sects and cults if you want but you'd be better of listening to Billy Graham's thanksgiving service or reading Mark's gospel.

Last edited by BigD on 07-Mar-2018 at 08:56 PM.

A1200 
Posted on 7-Mar-2018 21:32:36
#29 ]
Elite Member

Who cares where we get moral teachings from? Morality is overrated ;). Besides those who go on soap boxes claiming to be moral and the saviour of others ends up being a kiddy fiddler, setting fire to abortion clinics or killing people with planes, guns, cars anything they can.

3 things that hold humanity back and I think will ultimately lead to its downfall:

1: Money
Whilst there is the construct of money we live very selfishly and very much for the day as things that ultimately save humanity are costs that we may not "enjoy" in our lifetime and anyway, we are all too busy scrambling over each other to get the next dollar to feed ourselves.
2: Religion
Despite science (or in spite of religion) demonstrating a huge amount about how the world works and how it likely began, whilst there are a huge population of people who will disregard evidence in favour of scripture and other nonsense, we are all doomed. The religious lot have worked their way into governments, demand certain rights and privileges, such as tax free status in the US and some religions have even created a state to house their mumbo-jumbo.
3: Over population
I am not talking about killing people here - as many jump to the conclusion when this is mentioned. I am talking about people thinking for the greater good. Its possible to have 4, 8, 12 children, but is it fair? We are living longer and less people are dying of disease and so on yet still we keep adding more humans to the planet as if 7.6 billion is ok - is 10 billion ok, how about 20? The thing about climate change, food and water availability and habitable places to live - its surely a smaller problem if there was 1 or 2 billion people instead of 7 or more billion.

Nimrod 
Posted on 7-Mar-2018 21:54:24
#30 ]

@BigD
Your baseless faith in the mythical Jesus ISa man made religion, and Billy Graham violated every precept of that religion. Billy Graham was a violent anti-Semitic racist thug who sought political power above all else.

Once again,I HAVE read the crap that is the "Gospel of Mark" It includes Jesus taking an afternoon stroll of over eighty miles including a detour from Tyre to Sidon and back.
Mark also refers to a woman divorcing her husband, something that was not a part of Jewish law until the twelfth century, and clowns like you can't see what is right in front of your noses.

There is no contemporary, independent evidence that corroborates any of the plagiarised claims made in the bible. Likewise there isnothing unique in the claims made for the Christian religion.It is nothing more than recycled Mithraism,and the cult of Mithras was centred in the city of Tarsus, home of Saul, later saint Paul, author of the oldest writings in the New Testament which date to around AD58-60.

Last edited by Nimrod on 07-Mar-2018 at 09:57 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 7-Mar-2018 21:57:15
#31 ]
Elite Member

@A1200

Quote:
Besides those who go on soap boxes claiming to be moral and the saviour of others ends up being a kiddy fiddler, setting fire to abortion clinics or killing people with planes, guns, cars anything they can.

Billy Graham did none of those things and I fail to see the connection between Wahhabism in Saudi Arabia, Jimmy Saville or violent criminals like Francis Grady who commit arson with the life of an inspiring Christian like Billy Graham! Start your own thread about these sources of evil if you want but this thread is not the place!

Nimrod 
Posted on 7-Mar-2018 22:06:38
#32 ]

@BigD

Quote:
but this thread is not the place!
Wrong! This thread is EXACTLY the place to expose Billy Graham, apologist for Richard Milhouse Nixon anti-Semite, racist, and political power broker.
Just as popes sought and for a while obtained the power to depose kings and emperors becoming the source of all temporal political power, so Billy Graham sought to impose his own form of fascism, owning the President of the most powerful country in the world.
As it happens the President of the US is now wholly owned by Vladimir Putin, but that is an entirely different story.

BigD 
Posted on 7-Mar-2018 22:36:24
#33 ]
Elite Member

@Nimrod

Quote:
so Billy Graham sought to impose his own form of fascism, owning the President of the most powerful country in the world.

Ha ha, conspiracy theories too! Funny how you equate catering to the spiritual well being of the President with "owning" him

Last edited by BigD on 07-Mar-2018 at 10:38 PM.

number6 
Posted on 7-Mar-2018 22:37:23
#34 ]
Elite Member

@Nimrod

Quote:
the President of the US is now wholly owned by Vladimir Putin

As of today he is wholly owned by a woman named "Clifford", but that is an entirely different story. heh.

Nimrod 
Posted on 7-Mar-2018 23:09:50
#35 ]

@number6
Where is the "Like" button?

Nimrod 
Posted on 7-Mar-2018 23:22:35
#36 ]

@BigD
Billy Graham strived to be an "Eminence Gris" but only managed to become a greasy excrement.
Billy Graham didn't give a flying shi'ite about anybody's well being other than his own.
All he was interested in was having powerful leaders obeying his instructions for fear of losing votes.

And you still haven't explained what differentiates your imaginary friend from all the other made up gods. Your bible is nothing more than an accretion of plagiarised myths and legends, cobbled together in a web of lies and deceit.

BigD 
Posted on 7-Mar-2018 23:36:17
#37 ]
Elite Member

@Nimrod

Quote:
And you still haven't explained what differentiates your imaginary friend from all the other made up gods

This thread isn't about answering your snide disingenuous questions. If you acutually care about Jesus and knowing more about him you'll ask a local church about signing up to Christianity Explored or an Alpha Course. In the mean time actually watch the service I've recommended as it might actually do you good!

jorit2 
Posted on 8-Mar-2018 0:38:54
#38 ]

@BigD

Quote:

If you acutually care about Jesus ...

But he doesn't We don't
We really really don't.
That should be plain obvious by now

Quote:

In the mean time actually watch the service I've recommended as it might actually do you good!

Sigh

Can I make a few recommendations myself ?
If only to ruffle some feathers ?
Some David Bowie songs.
And it's not about promoting being gay or it being ok to be a transgender (what's wrong with being gay or a transgender anyway :-/ )

"Lazarus" ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-JqH1M4Ya8

Or "God knows I'm good" ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUHl7brEFOU

Or "I would be your slave" ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCu7cOhGsGs

Or the most pertinent in this discussion ?

"Under the God" ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg7qKWQRDwk

From Song Meanings ...

A song about the impossibility of life in the modern age of rampant christian and muslim fundamentaslism. It's not a matter of "whether" they will destroy our planet with nuclear war in the name of 2,000 year old superstitions... just "when" it will happen. Anybody who has children must now consider the probable possibility that their children will not live a full life because of these nutjob a-holes, like Pat Robertson or the authors of the Left Behind books. There WILL be nuclear war... not because it's prophecized (as these idiots would have you believe in their fear-mongering books) but because people believe these books and pastors and will think dropping bombs and torturing "heretics" is fulfilling the prophecy and serving their "god". It's truly tragic.

I'd rather watch some of those videos, maybe as background music at the party I might throw to celebrate the passing of Billy G. He's gone, that's a good thing, and it was long overdue. Who's next ?

Evert

Last edited by jorit2 on 08-Mar-2018 at 01:15 AM.
Last edited by jorit2 on 08-Mar-2018 at 01:13 AM.
Last edited by jorit2 on 08-Mar-2018 at 01:06 AM.

BigD 
Posted on 8-Mar-2018 7:01:23
#39 ]
Elite Member

@jorit2

Quote:
I'd rather watch some of those videos, maybe as background music at the party I might throw to celebrate the passing of Billy G. He's gone, that's a good thing, and it was long overdue. Who's next ?

That's a horrible and insensitive thing to say on a thread about his passing. Just as it wouldn't be acceptable to constantly attack David Bowie on a thread about remembering his songs and life so it isn't acceptable behaviour here. I can only assume that you consider modern equality and diversity sensitivities not to apply to Christians?

Quote:
what's wrong with being gay or a transgender anyway

What's wrong with being a Christian anyway? That's the question you need to meditate on in your own time away from this thread! The Bible is quite clear on the roles of men and women in church, marriage and family settings.

jorit2 
Posted on 8-Mar-2018 7:18:34
#40 ]

@BigD

Quote:

I can only assume that you consider modern equality and diversity sensitivities not to apply to Christians?

Not sure what you're trying to say here, so I'll make a guess for an interpretation.

As said before, if only you wouldn't be spreading around this crap, I wouldn't even care what you believe in (well ... see below also). Funny you bring this up however, with your derogatory comments about non-christians ... loose moral, promiscuity ...

That said, freedom of speech etc ... you are entitled to say what you say (*), but ... you'll have to accept that not everybody may agree with you, and some may feel very strong about it. And yes, since you launched this thread, this thread is the very place for us to "discuss" it.
( (*) I may not agree with you, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it)

I'm fortunate then that I live in a country where even the .... let's call them the Catholic party, pleaded for gay marriage etc, equal rights for all, etc.

Quote:

The Bible is quite clear on the roles of men and women in church, marriage and family settings.

The bible is utterly irrelevant
And, lest I'm mistaken, the bible isn't exactly about promoting equal rights for men and women ...

Evert

Last edited by jorit2 on 08-Mar-2018 at 07:54 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle