Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 146 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  12 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 49 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 1 min ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 42 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 45 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 53 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 15 mins ago
 corb0:  3 hrs 45 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 46 mins ago
 RobertB:  5 hrs 19 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  New Member Introductions
      /  My Introduction
Register To Post

PosterThread
SnkBitten 
My Introduction
Posted on 12-Apr-2018 22:43:20
#1 ]

Just registered so here's my new member post.

I'm from the southeast USA and I've been an Amiga fan since they first came out. I bought my first Amiga in 1985 when they were released, an Amiga 1000 which I still have the receipt. :)

I moved up to an A2000 with accelerator and a whopping 45 MB SCSI drive. I added a Video Toaster when they were released and a couple of TBC's.

Eventually I moved on to an A4000D with a WarpEngine4040, Emplant board, GVP EGS Spectrum and of course a Toaster 4000. I had it and the A2000 connected via Parnet cables and mostly used the A2000 as storage and power for the TBC's.

I sold everything Amiga related I owned around mid 1996 since I was working with PCs and Commodore was gone.....so they couldn't be worth anything right?? I needed money and figured it would be best to let those go when they were still semi functional.

Years later, Amiga hits it's 30th anniversary and it hits my news feeds and I get curious about them again. I found WinUAE and started playing with it and it reminded me how much I enjoyed my Amigas. I also started hearing about another emulation package called "Amithlon" that was supposed to be "wickedly fast". After searching it out and working with lots of different motherboards, cpus, video cards and network cards I put together a pretty amazing Amithlon system. This inspired me to put together some very complete installation guides for installing Amithlon and what hardware it can run on, including configuring USB, Networking, AHI and Picasso96. You can find them on my site (published Google Docs) or on Aminet (.pdf files). Included is a list of hardware either listed as supported by Gary and Milan or that I have tested myself or had feedback from others.

My Amithlon runs on an E8600 Intel CPU @ 4.0 GHz with 1 GB of ram. I use a small SATA drive to boot FreeDOS which launches the Amithlon kernel and a 256 GB Sata SSD drive for AmigaOS. I have an IDE DVD-R/W drive along with a multi-card USB reader. Ethernet is provided by the motherboard, sound with a SB Live card and an nVidia FX5500 card for video. I have it running at 1680x1050 @ 32bit color though I lately run it at 1280x720 @ 32bit which is a bit more comfortable to my older eyes :) My favorite part is having a Catweasel Mk4 card which allows me to read/write Amiga formatted DD and HD disk as well as PC formatted disk.

Over the last 2 years I managed to acquire an Amiga A4000D with Mediator PCI and Picasso II card. I also acquired an A4000T which was a dream of mine back in the day.

The A4000T I have been slowly upgrading and now have a WarpEngine4040 installed, a CyberVision 64/3D with ScanDoubler, an X-Surf 100 with RapidRoadUSB, a YCP-100 and Toaster4000 and Flyer cards. I have it fully populated with ram (18 MB on the motherboard and 128 MB on the WarpEngine). It boots from an IDE CF card and has a uses a 128 GB SSD drive on the WarpEngine's SCSI (ACard IDE > SCSI adapter). I have three 128 GB SSD drives to setup for the Flyer drives, also using ACards.

I also have a Mac Mini for MorphOS though I've only played with it in demo mode. It's been

I unfortunately seem to have contracted some sort of disease that makes me want to buy more Amiga hardware as I'd love to pick up an A1000 again as that's what I started with, and an A3000 sure would look nice next to my A4000s :)

Hope that wasn't too boring...
Looking forward to contributing as well as continued reading....

Profile     Report this post  
bison 
Re: My Introduction
Posted on 13-Apr-2018 0:11:24
#2 ]
Elite Member

@SnkBitten

Welcome to Amigaworld! Your A4000T sounds like a nice system.

Trekiej 
Posted on 13-Apr-2018 0:39:00
#3 ]
Cult Member

@snkbitten
welcome.

John 3:16

remotenemesis 
Posted on 13-Apr-2018 4:36:24
#4 ]

Welcome @SnkBitten

Your Amithlon system sounds really sweet!

arthoropod 
Posted on 13-Apr-2018 5:18:06
#5 ]

@remotenemesis

Quote:
Your Amithlon system sounds really sweet!

Yep, that takes some devotion to sort out what will and what won't work.
Pity that Amithlon development wasn't continued.

SnkBitten 
Posted on 13-Apr-2018 11:24:33
#6 ]

Thanks for the welcome, looking forward to spending time here.

I'm a huge fan of Amithlon. I was never a huge game player so the lack of the custom chip stuff didn't bother me that much which made Amithlon a good fit. Plus running on hardware it had a very real "Amiga" feel to it.

I spend more time on my Amithon system than I do on the A4000T or A4000D. I've also probably spent more money on it as I've gone through numerous motherboards, CPUs, CD/DVD drives, video cards, network cards and sound cards trying to piece this system together.

Here's my current setup:

Gigabyte Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L motherboard

Intel Core2Duo @ 4.00 Ghz (E8600)

(2) 512 MB ram modules (1 GB total)

64 MB nVidia 5200 PCI graphics card (full hardware accelerated)

Catweasel MKIV PCI card (R/W Amiga HD/DD floppy disk)

Soundblaster Live 5.1 PCI (AHI 6 i686)

Motherboard 10/100/1000 Ethernet controller

8x DVD-RW(-/+) Slot loading slim drive

20 GB SATA HD dos boot drive (freedos)

256 GB SATA SSD AmigaOS drive

Multi-card USB reader

I'm running a kernel I compiled myself based on Milan's kernel 4 tree, stripping out most of the items/devices I'm not using (multitude of IDE/SCSI/Audio modules, VESA framebuffer) as well as modifying the internal kickstart (shape.rom) with all the patches from 3.9 BB2.

I changed my setpatch line to
SetPatch NOROMUPDATE NONSD >NIL:
in startup and commented out my LoadModule line.

battclock.resource is injected by Amithlon so not needed. scsi.device is not needed because Amithlon uses amithlon.device. workbench.library I already use an updated version in libs.

Replaced modules:
exec_45.20 (A1200-A500)
bootmenu_447(A500)
console.device_44.8
filesystem.resource_45.10
filesystem_45.13
ram-handler_44.24_NoBss
shell_45.7
mathffp.library (HSML)
mathieeesingbas.library (HSML)
layer.library 45.27

Removed modules:
battclock.resource_39.3
scsi.device_40.5(A600-A1200)
workbench.library_40.5

The system is wicked fast.....most people don't care for Sysinfo speed tests but it's consistent between runs on my different machines. My Amithlon hits 237 times faster than an A4000. SysSpeed 2.6 CPU scores are:
MIPS 2904.91
MFLOPS 2889.53

It renders frames in Lightwave 3d extremely fast, and I have E-UAE running with an A1200 emulation config that runs around 1.43 times faster than an A1200 EC020 14MHz (sysinfo score).

I'm currently testing Amithlon on an older i7 motherboard with an i7-920 (soon to be i7-965xtreme) and have USB and ethernet working off the motherboard.

I also setup a stock smallird.gz boot with a AmigaOS 3.1 install, so instead of my patched kickstart I have a 3.1 kickstart and boot off a partition with 3.1 installed and using the 3.1 Setpatch.

Oh, the installation guides I created also cover compiling the kernel (I use Virtualbox and an older linux, I was using CentOS but have started using an old version of Ubuntu).

khayoz 
Posted on 13-Apr-2018 18:10:40
#7 ]

@SnkBitten
Welcome back! And thanks for the Amithlon guides.

pavlor 
Posted on 13-Apr-2018 18:29:30
#8 ]
Elite Member

@SnkBitten

Welcome!

noXLar 
Posted on 13-Apr-2018 18:32:24
#9 ]
Cult Member

@SnkBitten

yea, i love that disease, had it few times too:)

and welcome:)

klx300r 
Posted on 13-Apr-2018 22:21:37
#10 ]
Elite Member

@SnkBitten

welcome aboard where most of us have your same 'disease' my fellow amigan

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Doofus 
Posted on 14-Apr-2018 7:50:24
#11 ]

@SnkBitten

Welcome to an essential Amiga resource. I bought my first Amiga in 1988 and was hooked for life. I really regret selling my Toaster Cozzy A3000, and my TekMagic '060 A2000 Toaster. But I had a chance to buy a Toaster/Flyer system to compare to my V-Lab Motion Board/Tocatta Movie Shop system. I never realized they would become museum pieces.
I'm using an Amithlon these days (TV Paint Professional is my favorite).
I was wondering what version of Lightwave 3D you're running?
I shoehorned a copy of lightwave 6.0 into the XP partition along with Quake II and Adobe Premiere. With 6.0 you don't need 2 monitors, everything happens on one screen and the Amithlon is blazing fast, rendering most frames in 10 to 15 seconds.

I need some help with a bad thing I did recently. I foolishly copied a file from my OS 4.1 CD into the Workbench\C directory in the WinUAE\Harddrives drawer. It replaced some of the files there and now I get an "illegal instruction" crash upon OS 3.9 boot up. It looks like I might have to replace the entire C directory to ensure that all modified files are gone. Since I hadn't run a backup yet I don't have a copy of the C directory. Is there somewhere I can get one? I'm told that there was once an Amithlon CD, but they are scarce.

pavlor 
Posted on 14-Apr-2018 9:15:27
#12 ]
Elite Member

@Doofus

Quote:
. I foolishly copied a file from my OS 4.1 CD into the Workbench\C directory in the WinUAE\Harddrives drawer. It replaced some of the files there and now I get an "illegal instruction" crash upon OS 3.9 boot up.

Most parts of OS4 are PowerPC native, only some components are 68k (there was page with list of such parts, but I can´t find it right now). You can´t use PowerPC native OS4 binaries with OS3.9 - that is why you got "illegal instruction" crash.

DON´T blindly copy OS4 files to your OS3.x setup!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Is there somewhere I can get one? I'm told that there was once an Amithlon CD, but they are scarce.

I think any OS3.9 C drawer would work, I hope you will find what you are looking for via google (or similar service).

pavlor 
Posted on 14-Apr-2018 9:16:15
#13 ]
Elite Member

Eh AW bugs...

SnkBitten 
Posted on 14-Apr-2018 13:29:49
#14 ]

@Doofus

I'm running Lightwave 3d 5.0, the last Amiga version. I have Lightwave 2018 on my Win10 machine.

As for your C: directory issue I'm a bit confused as you mention WinUAE\Harddrives drawer, is this on your PC running WinUAE? If so, if you remember the file you copied, copy that file from any OS 3.9 disc and you should be good to go.

As for Amithlon CD's, if you search enough you can find a download. I was lucky to grab an actual Amithlon retail disc....though I have to make my own to boot my system as the kernel on the stock Amithlon CD won't boot.

If you have the room on your HD, make a backup of your system, preferably another boot partition and keep that as your "recovery" partition. If you add/change/delete something that stops your primary boot from working you can hold both mouse buttons and boot to your other partition and copy it back to your primary. Only make changes/modifications to your primary and if all is well copy it to your "recovery" partition to keep it updated. I actually have three folders on another partition (backups:system, backups:system-full and backups:system-current) which allows me to return to a fresh install of Amithlon (system), a fully patched an configured hardware (USB, networking, AHI, etc.) setup (system-full) or what my current stable running system (system-current) is after updating additional libraries and or making changes to my SYS: volume. It's saved my butt a few times after installing something that doesn't work well or at all with Amithlon.

I've reinstalled my system so many times trying tweaks and or testing new hardware I finally just wanted a simple "it's installed....now patch it and configure it" so made the initial backups:system copy. I've switched out video cards (nVidia 5500 PCI to nVidia 5200 PCI to a Matrox G550 PCI-e card....and back), network cards (RTL 8169 PCI with the driver compiled in the kernel to an Intel Pro1000 PCI-e with a pciinsmod module to compiling it in to the kernel to a pciinsmod loaded module for my motherboards NIC). This module had to be compiled outside of the kernel compile. It's for RTL8111 series motherboard NICs (http://amithlonblog.snkbitten.com/new-kernel4-module-for-rtl8111-based-cards/).

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle