Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 110 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 cdimauro:  17 mins ago
 retrofaza:  45 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 59 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs ago
 Seiya:  4 hrs 48 mins ago
 matthey:  5 hrs 9 mins ago
 Rob:  6 hrs 20 mins ago
 vox:  6 hrs 24 mins ago
 kolla:  7 hrs 18 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  A1200 enhancement suggestions
Register To Post

PosterThread
DofD 
A1200 enhancement suggestions
Posted on 24-Apr-2018 23:26:57
#1 ]

Hey there,

A couple years ago I was given an A1200 a couple 1084s monitors and a box of "stuff" from a nice person who was downsizing. I got it home, plugged it in, and it booted asking for Workbench, so it worked, mostly. Then life got busy as it tends to do and it's been in my storage room. Then recently I decided to replace the dead PSU on my towerized A3000, got that done, and thought I'd bring out the A1200 and give it a closer look and clean. I pull out the A1200 and take the cover off to see what's in there and what do I find, it's got a hard drive, a RTC, and a CSA 12Gauge 030/50 with 16MB of RAM, and 3.0 ROMs. I tear it down, clean everything up, put it back together, and it starts up, boots to the HD, and all is looking good.

So I get to thinking, what can I do to freshen this up a bit as a retro gaming machine and thought I'd seek some suggestions. I'm not going to towerize it, I know that.

What I've thought of is this.
- Indivision AGA
- Some sort of IDE to CF adaptor

Other suggestions?

Thanks,

Darin.

Last edited by DofD on 24-Apr-2018 at 11:27 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
g01df1sh 
Re: A1200 enhancement suggestions
Posted on 25-Apr-2018 9:46:08
#2 ]

@DofD

Hi

I would recommend a good lcd tv instead of the indivision. The only plus to indivision is you can have 1024 x 768 workbench but mine has GFX glitches and performance is not great on 030 at that res. My setup now is 030 Samsung 933HD tv connected via RGB to scart works great and I use HI res laced for workbench which has very little flicker. I would recommend WHDload for games its such a good piece of software for loading games super fast. Enjoy and have fun with your new found A1200 in the future look out for Vampire A1200 that is going to be a game changer.

Last edited by g01df1sh on 25-Apr-2018 at 09:46 AM.

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

AmigaOldskooler 
Posted on 25-Apr-2018 10:32:43
#3 ]

@DofD

I'm using a 21" CRT TV with RGB to SCART adapter. It is a Philips flat-screen CRT. Picture is very good and games and demos looks like they're meant to. :)

I've tried using an Indivision in the past with LCD, but I was not as happy as I am with my current screen. It is difficult to explain, but on the CRT the colors seems to flow more together and the pixels are hardly visible like on LCD where the pixels tend to stand out, if you know what I mean. Games looks awesome and more vibrant. The RGB to SCART adapter plays a big role here of course.

I'm sure you could find a high-quality CRT TV for free or for little money, so it is not a big investment. I'll be getting an extra of my model in backup, that is for sure. Not going back to LCD for my old Amiga's, hehe. Then you can buy an RGB to SCART adapter on ebay and use that.

Apart from a CRT screen, I'd recommend getting this from Amigastore.eu or someplace else:

http://amigastore.eu/en/165-compact-flash-pcmciasoftware-cf-sandisk.html

This is a cheap and good way of transferring files between PC and Amiga. Highly Recommended!

DofD 
Posted on 25-Apr-2018 21:19:11
#4 ]

Thanks very much for the suggestions and information, it's appreciated.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle