Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 128 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

zipper

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 zipper:  29 secs ago
 kolla:  7 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  21 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 Gunnar:  2 hrs 15 mins ago
 Frank:  2 hrs 22 mins ago
 MickJT:  3 hrs ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  First of possibly many questions
Register To Post

PosterThread
Flasheart 
First of possibly many questions
Posted on 26-Apr-2018 13:08:03
#1 ]

I Like Amiga's and have had several machines over the years, including at one point on of the Eyetech Amigaones!

Recently I have been having a clearout of old stuff and came across some of my old Amigas and I've decided to get one of the A1200's running well again. The problem is, it's so long since I did anything with these I can't remember half of what I need and have probably thrown out lots of stuff that I shouldn't.

My A1200 boots and is basic machine with no expansion running Kickstart 3.1. I want to get an accelerator for it, but first I need to sort out a HDD and CD Rom.

So, first question. CF cards, they weren't really a thing when I was Active before. Can they replace an IDE HDD, are they slower?

Second. Which OS. In the past I have OS3.5 and 3.9, I have no idea where they are now, probably thrown out. I have OS 3.1 on floppy, is is worth getting 3.5 or 3.9 again.

I shall be using it for a bit of old gaming, and probably a bit of word processing and generally fiddling around with files on my old disks etc. At some point I would like to get it online, but first things first

Last edited by Flasheart on 27-Apr-2018 at 11:10 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
EDanaII 
Re: First of possibly many questions
Posted on 26-Apr-2018 14:28:26
#2 ]

@Flasheart

#1, yes, you can use CF in your Amiga. I use one in mine. There may be compatibility issues, I don't recall, so you may want to ask around a little further: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=compact+flash+adapter+ide&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Acompact+flash+adapter+ide

#2, OS 3.9 without a PPC adapter, but there's also AROS 68k for something a little more up-to-date.

Good luck. :)

Jsixis 
Posted on 26-Apr-2018 19:24:48
#3 ]

@Flasheart

3.1 is by far the most stable OS, 3.5 and 3.9 you need an expanded machine and it will still be quirky, it will look really cool and be really slow due to those looks so if you are not into fluff stick with 3.1. I'm biased but that was because I installed 3.5 and 3.9 when they came out and it ruined my Amiga. (crashes and guru's like my first A500 running 1.3)

the 4way IDE port is a good way to get a CDrom hooked up.

CF cards work , seems to me one would need a second one to back stuff up, or get an online service.

I plan on getting my 1200 back online, I would go with the new 030 card at Amiga kit and hope and pray that the indevision gets made again because 1084 monitors are getting really old, I'm down to 2 that still work.

g01df1sh 
Posted on 26-Apr-2018 19:57:04
#4 ]

@Jsixis

For ide I would go for one of these its nice and tidy and fits well.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-CF2IDE-Angle-IDE-44-PIN-CF-Card-Adapter-to-40-PIN-IDE-Amiga-600-1200-566/112379910631?hash=item1a2a5d59e7:g:BHwAAOSwVm5Y-w0q

If you just want whdload games go for a ACA1233 its new and fast. If you have money to burn wait for A1200 Vampire for ultimate A1200 is due later this year but they may change.

Last edited by g01df1sh on 26-Apr-2018 at 08:00 PM.

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

nbache 
Posted on 26-Apr-2018 21:31:19
#5 ]

@Flasheart

Quote:
[...]

I shall be suing it for a bit of [...]
Please don't sue your own Amiga - we have enough law suits going on already.

(SCNR)

Best regards,

Niels

BigD 
Posted on 26-Apr-2018 22:02:20
#6 ]
Elite Member

@Jsixis

Quote:
so if you are not into fluff stick with 3.1. I'm biased but that was because I installed 3.5 and 3.9 when they came out and it ruined my Amiga. (crashes and guru's like my first A500 running 1.3)

People have put up with 3.1 for far too long. OS3.9 is better, it's as simple as that. If your machine can't run it well then upgrade your machine! You need a 030 to run WHDLoad well anyway

Flasheart 
Posted on 27-Apr-2018 11:14:09
#7 ]

Thanks for the tips everyone.
I have found found my old OS3.5 and 3.9 disks, so now have all 3 options to play with. I've also found an external DC Rom from eyetech, I just to get a buffered interface to be able to use it.

I assume I can't just throw a 40GB HDD in, I'm guessing that being only 32 bit the Amiga won't be able to cope with that much storage and/or it will take a week to format :)

BigD 
Posted on 27-Apr-2018 12:04:44
#8 ]
Elite Member

@Flasheart

From Amiga.org, this seems to be the case with OS3.9:

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2570

Quote:
The first boot partition must be less than 2GB and then if you use OS3.9 you can have subsequent partitions as big as you want (well over 1000GB if I recall from H&P's docs).

Flasheart 
Posted on 26-Jul-2018 8:05:53
#9 ]

Well, that escalated slowly!!!

It quickly became apparent that to do anything useful I really needed more memory and that's not easy/cheap to get on it's own so I decided to go all out and bought an ACA1233n and a Cloanto Kickstart 3.x Rom (My earlier statement that I had KS 3.1 was wrong, it was 3.0.

The first problem was the ACA1233n wouldn't run in any of my A1200's (I had 3 at the time) So I went through a process of sending the card away and them saying it was fine to sending my motherboard off to get recapped and then timing fixed. The ACA still refused to work, although it did when at the retailers. I have now, months later got a replacement unit sent... and that works!

While all this was going on I installed the new KS 3.x Roms. They wouldn't work either, I could only get as far as intuition, workbench had stopped loading. I eventually worked out that is was because Workbench Library wasn't in the rom anymore (It should ship with a note saying so really!). So I then had to buy more stuff so I could get the Library off Cloanto's website and over to the Amiga. Success, I now had a basic A1200 running with a 4GB CF flash.

Fast forward to Tuesday and my exchanged ACA finally gets delivered (along with the new A1200 Cases). I plug it in to the A1200 and it won't start, I get a black screen. I plug it int to another A1200 with KS 3.0 and it runs. To cut a really long story to just a long one, after some faffing around it would seem that either the new Elbox IDE buffer I had bought earlier, or it's software was causing the problem. If the CF is plugged directly in to the IDE port it boots, although complains because the IDE board can't be found.

So, I thought a re-install was needed to work out where it was going wrong. Now I must be doing something wrong because I can't find anyway of installing OS3.1 on a KS3.x machine. My original disks don't have workbench Library, the ones I made from the ADF's on Forever 7 don't have it either and there is no room on either the install or Workbench disk to drop it in the Libs folder so I can boot and start the process.

Looking back over old e-mails it looks like I sold my Mediator and blizzard 060 boards off in 2008 so obviously I have forgotten a lot... Was I going through all this sort of stuff back then and was it the reason I got rid of it all, I can't remember, but this is pretty frustrating. Surely there must be some OS3.X disks around so you can install it on a A1200 with KS3.x. Am I just missing something Obvious.

duga 
Posted on 26-Jul-2018 10:30:58
#10 ]

@Flasheart

Yes, you can buy Workbench 3.1 disks supporting your 3.X (and 3.0/3.1) ROMs: https://www.amigaforever.com/news-events/classic-support-3-1/

Flasheart 
Posted on 26-Jul-2018 10:49:19
#11 ]

@duga

Thanks for that, I hadn't seen that you could buy the physical disks.

I had assumed that the ADF files for Workbench 3.1 on the Amiga Forever 7 Disc were the latest ones that worked with KS3.X which either they don't or the i'm looking in the wrong place on my install.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle