Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
21 crawler(s) on-line.
 132 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 agami:  26 mins ago
 Hypex:  32 mins ago
 Hammer:  33 mins ago
 Seiya:  3 hrs 21 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 43 mins ago
 Rob:  4 hrs 53 mins ago
 vox:  4 hrs 57 mins ago
 kolla:  5 hrs 51 mins ago
 mbrantley:  5 hrs 52 mins ago
 pixie:  6 hrs 15 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  New Member Introductions
      /  Long time lurker
Register To Post

PosterThread
Madlax 
Long time lurker
Posted on 1-May-2018 0:45:57
#1 ]

Hello,

I have been following pretty much all developments in anything Amiga related for 2 decades. Haven't done much to scratch that itch since late 1990s, but I just jumped back in.

In the past I used to own an A3000, A3000T, A2000 and a A1200 for gaming. I was running a BBS system on Prometheus in Germany back then. Before it ended I had 4 ISDN lines and 2 modem ports. About 600 users. It was a lot of fun. I was very sad when I had to give it up. That must have been around 1996 or 97. During the last year I even had a permanent internet connection (28.8k) so I could offer telnet access and I also had an IRC plugin, and a Usenet reader installed. My BBS users were confused about all this, and it didn't get as much usage out of it as hoped it would. The internet was pretty much CompuServ and AOL at that time, and frankly it kinda sucked.

After that I got friendly with FreeBSD and then Linux. I started working in IT full time in 2000. While the Amiga inspired artists to get into graphics design or music composition, the Amiga inspired me to get into IT. I think most of you guys agree the Amiga at least partially changed one aspects of your life. It was just fun working with these machines.

I am going to say something controversial probably, but to me the Mac is kind of the closest thing to a modern Amiga. So, yeah, rocking my MacBook Pro hard

I remember being super excited about AmigaOS4 when it came out, AROS, the Natami which turned into the vampire. Huge fan of Morphos because it just looks so beautiful

So what did I do. 4 or 5 years ago I made an impulse buy on eBay. I got myself a 500+. Didn't unpack it until recently. Got an ACA500+ and ACA1233n for it. Very nice, but I missed the 1200. So I got a 1200 on eBay. I am using the ACA1233n in my new 1200 now. It's running AKReal. I changed the icons to 16 bit and took some stuff out. It's pretty quick now actually.

I also have a PowerMac G5 waiting for MorphOS, just didn't have the time yet for it. Might get a Mac mini instead, it's pretty bulky that machine.

And then this happened. So I wanted an Indivision AGA quickly. But they are all sold out. So I emailed Jens Schoenfeld asking when the next batch is ready, and he told me he just got 1 ready. I jumped on his store quicker than a bunny in spring. Super psyched!

Other than that, I pre-ordered a new case for the A500+ from the kickstarter campaign, and I am waiting for the Vampire V4 for A500 and A1200 and Standalone. I think I am just going to buy anything they have

Feels good to have my Ami back

Profile     Report this post  
bison 
Re: Long time lurker
Posted on 1-May-2018 1:11:30
#2 ]
Elite Member

@Madlax

Welcome to Amigaworld.

Quote:
Haven't done much to scratch that itch since late 1990s, but I just jumped back in.

People do that.

Quote:
After that I got friendly with FreeBSD and then Linux.

That's interesting; it seems more usual for the progression to go the other way.

pavlor 
Posted on 1-May-2018 9:03:01
#3 ]
Elite Member

@Madlax

Welcome!

remotenemesis 
Posted on 1-May-2018 15:26:01
#4 ]

@Madlax

Welcome! Your story is very similar to mine, I returned to the path earlier this year with an A1200.

Actually I'm planning on going the same route as you with an AC1233n and AKReal.

I also seem to be collecting AROS installs. And an X5000 keeps calling me.

I have it all under control.

Really.

Madlax 
Posted on 1-May-2018 15:40:32
#5 ]

@bison

Thank you!

Quote:
After that I got friendly with FreeBSD and then Linux.

That's interesting; it seems more usual for the progression to go the other way.
[/quote]

I would have stuck to FreeBSD, but it had no support for ISDN cards back then. It almost broke my friends heart, when I switched to Linux. He was a big time FreeBSD and was the one who introduced me to it.[quote]

Madlax 
Posted on 1-May-2018 15:57:12
#6 ]

@remotenemesis

The ACA1233n is definitely worth it. In this split Amiga world I'm more of a classics guy, but not hardcore classic, so things like the Vampire are definitely on my shopping list. The X5000 is a pretty nice piece of hardware which I would love to own one day myself.

I am eyeballing the awesome looking Elbox towers with Mediator at the moment. The only thing that keeps me from buying it is the uncertainty if it will be compatible with the Vampire. One might argue why I would even need a Mediator after installing a Vampire that has everything on it. Well, there is no rational explanation, only that it's cool.

AROS is a fantastic project, however it needs more active developers. I would also like to see it moving the main target architecture to ARM. I think a lot of people would be interested in running on a Pi or even Odroid. I am aware that there is a Linux hosted version ready to go out there, but it doesn't feel right to me. I might as well run Amibian instead. Don't want to sound overly critical. I think everything that has been done in the Amiga world is exciting and the people behind it deserve a lot of credit. But there is so much out there that I have to pick favorites and focus on those.

In my perfect fantasy world, MorphOS, AmigaOS4 and AROS teams would form a new team and combine it into one OS that either runs on Intel or ARM, with a Vampire Add-On card for 68k native compatiblilty

Madlax 
Posted on 1-May-2018 16:00:17
#7 ]

@pavlor

Thank you!

Hypex 
Posted on 2-May-2018 15:52:19
#8 ]
Elite Member

@Madlax

Welcome ot the fold.

Quote:
During the last year I even had a permanent internet connection (28.8k) so I could offer telnet access and I also had an IRC plugin, and a Usenet reader installed. My BBS users were confused about all this, and it didn't get as much usage out of it as hoped it would

My Amiga club used to have a BBS ran on CNet BBS software. In the later days I was messing around in the software and found it should be possible to use it as an ISP. I saw the writing on the wall. In the previous decade we'd gone from text screens to GUIs and the journey from BBS to internet followed this trend. And I got onto the BBS craze too late just when the net was taking off. I managed to configure Miami so it could take calls coming in through CNet. So CNet was connected to first, you logged in and then you could start an internet session, by sending a command which then put it into a binary mode and used Miami to configure a PPP connection. IIRC I tested it as working through a serial link up between two Amigas. Unfortunately that idea died as well. I spent so much time typing up this huge proposal for the club with details of my idea and how to technically implement it that it all fell behind and didn't go anywhere. Should have just got the software working and then said hey we can do this now.

Quote:
I am going to say something controversial probably, but to me the Mac is kind of the closest thing to a modern Amiga. So, yeah, rocking my MacBook Pro hard

I do agree. But in doing so, from personal experience, I would say the OS9 PPC was very close. With auto loading floppy disks, a RAM disk and good multi tasking ability. Next in line would be OSX. By the time Intel came around I think they lost it.

Quote:
Feels good to have my Ami back

Ami back. Haha! Do you have a BACKMIKEDISK?

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle