Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 140 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

retrofaza

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 retrofaza:  3 mins ago
 kolla:  6 mins ago
 saimo:  12 mins ago
 A1200:  14 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  20 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  42 mins ago
 zipper:  43 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 RickSkid:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 34 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Software
      /  Animation Mystery
Register To Post

PosterThread
scuzz 
Animation Mystery
Posted on 27-May-2018 18:29:19
#1 ]

Hi

I just opened one of my DPAINT animations and saved a section of it as a 66 frame animbrush. Just a small black and white animation, as a test.

I then placed down the animbrush and created a fresh animation of 66 frames.

I then saved the 66 individual images to a PC floppy disk.

I transferred the 66 PC files and moved them to a Win 7 machine.

I then renamed each and every file as IFF as my Thumbs Plus software needs to see the file extension and not the info file.

I then saved each frame as a jpg... that's all 66 frames converted to jpg and not gif.

I then fired up Avidemux and imported just the first file... Not all 66 just the first file [ 6kb ] which is only a fragement in size to the full animation and does not have the full animation content.

AND YET.. here is the mystery, Avidemux played and saved the whole animation as an MP4 format. Not just the one frame I loaded but the whole animation from one imported jpg. The final animation is only 64KB and the loaded frame was 6KB. I didn't tell Avidemux to load all the frames from the folder. Normally I have to append to do that.

I think I have at long last worked out how to save my Amiga animation to MP4.

If anyone can explain I would love to know how it did that.

scuzz

Profile     Report this post  
Karlos 
Re: Animation Mystery
Posted on 28-May-2018 1:54:31
#2 ]
Elite Member
From: As-sassin-aaate! As-sassin-aaate! Ooh! We forgot the ammunition!

@scuzz

You were tired and what you did doesn't correlate with what you thought you did? I get that, especially during Ramadan, lol.

Hypex 
Posted on 28-May-2018 14:02:07
#3 ]
Elite Member

@scuzz

That's some considerable effort you've put into that little anim. I wonder, did you number your frames? I am thinking if it picked up frame numbers and assumed a frame sequence.

scuzz 
Posted on 28-May-2018 17:21:56
#4 ]

@Hypex

Evidently Avidemux treats seqential files as a batch of images and loads them as such. I carried this process out again and created another animation. And the software again created a full animation from just loading this in with the first picture. So thats classic. Also someone on EAB verified that they had done the same thing.

DPaint will actually save a whole series of images from an animation if you click further options so I didn't need to do anything on that score. I just needed to save each frame as a jpg which I can also run as a batch if I choose to do with ThumbsPlus.

Great.. now I can tranfer all my Amiga animations to MP4.

scuzz

Amigo1 
Posted on 28-May-2018 19:10:03
#5 ]

@scuzz

BigD 
Posted on 28-May-2018 21:32:32
#6 ]
Elite Member

@scuzz

How is this better than using AnimWebConverter? I mean is the conversion from ANIM to AVI to MP4 that lossy? I can't see that all that faff is worth it.

scuzz 
Posted on 28-May-2018 21:52:38
#7 ]

@BigD

Wouldn't know. Never used AnimWeb or Hollywood. Don't think I said that this was quicker than anything else. Just that I have struggled with my DPaint animations to get into MP4 format and now I have found a way around it. Cus DPaint creates single pictures of all your frames in a sequential form by simply saving under the special menu, and cus ThumbsPlus on the PC can create batch files of all my frames in JPG format and cus Avidemux now loads all the frames sequentially... it really isn't a big deal for me doing it this way.

Just saying. And I know Avidemux inside out.

scuzz

BigD 
Posted on 29-May-2018 8:48:14
#8 ]
Elite Member

@scuzz

Whatever works for you. You use two programs for the conversion as do I; in my case AnimWebConverter and iSkysoft Video Converter.

OneTimer1 
Posted on 30-May-2018 20:48:15
#9 ]
Cult Member

@scuzz

IMR some tools in the MPlayer package can convert Amiga ANIMs into single frames and pack single frames into MP4 files.

Hypex 
Posted on 31-May-2018 14:20:00
#10 ]
Elite Member

@scuzz

Sounds like a useful feature. But can it be switched off? Be a pain of you have to isolate one image if you just wanted to work with that one image.

Now are you using the 100% lossless JPEG mode like on the Amiga?

I find PNG is also good.

scuzz 
Posted on 31-May-2018 17:09:08
#11 ]

@Hypex

Why would you need to switch anything off... Just copy either the image you want to another folder or keep your animation images in another folder. The animation was only 64K so not an issue to even copy to the desktop. Just needs to be in a different folder.

ThumbsPlus gives you full control over the image quality from original to any percent from 1 to 100%. I also use ThumbsPlus as I use DOpus on the Amiga.. it's a full image manipulation and file manager and handles and recognises Amiga file formats.

I prefer JPGs to be honest though I can save in pretty much any format. The originals are IFF and are Adobe Photoshop images on the PC as I can edit IFFs with Photoshop.

On the Amiga side DPaint seems to be a law unto itself in truth. Fortunately being able to save images in IFF format the software lets you create sequential images by selecting the range of animation frames you want to save. I can play and view images and animations through DOpus.

I had been playing around with Main Actor and saving animations but with little luck getting them recognised by the PC. Gifs are what I was creating before to save animations... but now I can use Avidemux.

One annoying feature of DPaint which I have never understood and that is why when it creates a series of frames of a black and white animation it doesn't select the pure black background. Just that if you are pasting in a brush to the animation and forget to change the first frame to the pure black, it will show as a grey screen on all your frames. Odd that.

Anyway, I'm all sorted now and happily coppying and editing my endless animations to log and play on the PC . Great stuff

scuzz
http://www.scuzzscink.com/commodore-amiga-retro/commodore-amiga-retro-0001.htm

jPV 
Posted on 31-May-2018 19:20:29
#12 ]
Cult Member

Brrr.. I would hate to have JPEG artifacts in my anims :)

I would prefer RNOAnim to convert IFF anims to GIF anims, APNG anims, AVI, or single images ;)

Hypex 
Posted on 6-Jun-2018 16:24:45
#13 ]
Elite Member

@scuzz

Quote:
Why would you need to switch anything off... Just copy either the image you want to another folder or keep your animation images in another folder.

Because it's more work to drag the file out or create a folder for it and move it there. Then the file would need to be moved back and the folder deleted. If you see my point.

Quote:
ThumbsPlus as I use DOpus on the Amiga.. it's a full image manipulation and file manager and handles and recognises Amiga file formats.

Nice. Sounds good. Do you give it a ThumbsUp?

Quote:
On the Amiga side DPaint seems to be a law unto itself in truth.

Yes it can be at times.

Quote:
I had been playing around with Main Actor and saving animations but with little luck getting them recognised by the PC. Gifs are what I was creating before to save animations... but now I can use Avidemux.

Amiga or PC version of MainActor?

AnimGIFs would be good for the purpose. Still in use today. There is also some AnimPNG format.

Quote:
One annoying feature of DPaint which I have never understood and that is why when it creates a series of frames of a black and white animation it doesn't select the pure black background.

That is odd. How many colours on screen? What does it do on a two colour screen?

Quote:
Anyway, I'm all sorted now and happily coppying and editing my endless animations to log and play on the PC . Great stuff

Thumbs up.

Hypex 
Posted on 6-Jun-2018 16:29:36
#14 ]
Elite Member

@jPV

Quote:
Brrr.. I would hate to have JPEG artifacts in my anims :)

When I' m wearing glasses I can see JPEG artifacts on the TV. When I didn't need glasses I could see them with fast motion. Since TV is old DVD quality around my parts. So I would hate to see that also in a computer anim. Especially one of lesser colour where compression should blitz and not wreck things.

elwood 
Posted on 7-Jun-2018 14:59:25
#15 ]
Elite Member

@scuzz

Quote:
Evidently Avidemux treats seqential files as a batch of images and loads them as such.

Exactly!
It does the same with videos. It you have video-001.avi, video-002.avi.... it will load all of them.
If you don't want it to load all files, you need to have only one file in the directory, or rename the file you want to load so that it is not in a sequence.

Amiga Translator Organisation

scuzz 
Posted on 7-Jun-2018 16:18:26
#16 ]

@Hypex

I do all my work on the animations on the Amiga so other than creating the images on the PC in JPG format I don't need to move frames in and out. Saying that I would simply drag or copy the image anyway and work on the original folder. I only need the frame when I create so again for me not an issue.

Been using ThumbsPlus from Cerious for over 15 years. Came free in 1996 on the Win95 machine and I bought a copy and then have updated ever since. Its more than an image manipulator it is also a very good file manager and can read and see every file format that exists I guess. I generally do my base editing in Thumbs and then image work in Photoshop. It also has batch file editing and renaming etc so is great for file and image management. ThumbsPlus Pro version 10 SP1 Build 4011-Cerious Software... and so yes I guess I give it my Thumbs-UP.

I use the Amiga version of Main Actor. Like I say I work on all animations on the Amiga. Just that I want to show some animations in my webpage and MP4 autoplays with Firefox from the simple 'video src=' tag. Just easier.

Low Res 320 x 256 black and white with 16 colour palette size. Always opens in the next shade down from the pure black. I use Vidi Amiga to capture video and then edit it. So if you forget to clear after changing to the pure black shade all frames will be grey in the edited out areas. You notice when inserting an animbrush.

scuzz 
Posted on 7-Jun-2018 16:34:44
#17 ]

@elwood

That doesn't work for me with videos in mp4 format. I have just tested this with mp4 and numbered a series sequentially and it only opened the first. They were all edited sections of the same video so the format, size etc was all the same. To add multiple videos I have to 'Append' the video. I'm using Avidemux 2.6.19 ... I can have any number of videos in folders and it never loads anymore than just the one and I am in the habit of naming videos sequentially.

I just tried with AVI and that also only loaded the first video. Strange.

elwood 
Posted on 8-Jun-2018 7:11:13
#18 ]
Elite Member

@scuzz

I remember it did it maybe one year ago. I got suprised like you when it happened the first time for me.
Maybe the newer versions changed in this respect.

Amiga Translator Organisation

Migzy 
Posted on 3-Jul-2018 3:50:08
#19 ]

@scuzz

will take note of that.

Templario 
Posted on 3-Jul-2018 17:56:40
#20 ]
Elite Member

I accept suggestions to improve the Animwebconverter.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle