Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
22 crawler(s) on-line.
 100 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 fingus:  10 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  14 mins ago
 Karlos:  29 mins ago
 amigagr:  36 mins ago
 MagicSN:  44 mins ago
 pixie:  58 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 amigang:  1 hr 46 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Emulation
      /  Amithlon CD
Register To Post

PosterThread
Doofus 
Amithlon CD
Posted on 8-Jun-2018 0:53:54
#1 ]

I just purchased the exremely rare original Amithlon install CD. The package says it will boot from the CD. Then I can go in and relace the ounter file with the correct one. Problem is the Amithlon does not boot from the CD! There's no way to correct the file. It looks like my only option is to dump the hard drive and start all over from the beginning. But how can I if the Amithlon won't boot from the CD, and why does the packaging claim that it will?

Profile     Report this post  
SnkBitten 
Re: Amithlon CD
Posted on 8-Jun-2018 3:04:21
#2 ]

@Doofus

It can boot from the CD on hardware it was designed to work with.

Newer hardware will most likely not boot off the CD. I create my own Amithlon CD's replacing the kernel file with my own compiled one or at least kern3.10 or kernel4 and modifying the init string, then burning the new image to disk.

I used this and WinUAE to create an updated CD.
http://aminet.net/package/docs/help/AMIthlon_CD

My first experience with Amithlon was booting the CD on a supported motherboard on an old system I had lying around.

Hypex 
Posted on 8-Jun-2018 15:17:40
#3 ]
Elite Member

@SnkBitten

I discovered a program called ISO Master on Linux. Yes it sounds familiar. A little old but works well. I tried a few burning tools but that was the only one that would let you specify the bootblock. I gave up trying to figure mkisofs out as it just kept giving me nonsensical errors. Plus even with setting up things from scratch using a GUI tool was so much easier. I used ISO Master to build the AmigaOne PPC Linux installer CD. What I don't see is an option to specify system area though perhaps it wasn't thought to be a big deal until now when it's being used on USB. And now I'm interested in specifying system area since I want to make USB bootable images now as well.

SnkBitten 
Posted on 8-Jun-2018 17:37:31
#4 ]

@Hypex

What I used (above) was easy enough for me, I just used it to make an .iso file and then copied it to a mounted Windows folder in WinUAE. ImgBurn burned a physical CD from the .iso and that was it.

Since the partition was created and the CD was copied to it.... I just run WinUAE, change the kernel/string/whatever on the partition that the Amithlon CD was copied to......run the MakeISO script and wait for the .iso file. Move that to where Windows can grab it and done.

Doofus 
Posted on 9-Jun-2018 2:33:57
#5 ]

@Hypex
What is an Amiga One PPC Linux installer? Will it run OS 4.1 FE Classic? Any chance I could get one for a reasonable price? This Amithlon CD is no help to me, I'll have to Start all over.

Hypex 
Posted on 9-Jun-2018 15:28:09
#6 ]
Elite Member

@SnkBitten

It looks like it is all setup to make it easy to create the image. But I haven't gone right into it. Looks interesting.

SnkBitten 
Posted on 9-Jun-2018 15:35:15
#7 ]

@Doofus

What exactly are you wanting to do? You mention Amithlon and then start talking PPC and AOS4.1 so if you could clarify a little it may help.

Amithlon is an x86 emulation of 68k AmigaOS 3.9. it does not have any ability to run OS 4.1 or help with any PPC emulation.

Are you wanting to run Amithlon/AOS3.9 or PPC/AOS4.1?

Hypex 
Posted on 9-Jun-2018 15:37:06
#8 ]
Elite Member

@Doofus

It's the PowerPC Debian Linux complete installer CD I recently built. For AmigaOne PowerPC machines so it won't help. Since you need to technically boot an old Linux CD on a newer PC.

https://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=42413&forum=34

Did you try the CD package builder linked to by SnkBitten and it didn't help?

You might want to try and see if you can set your PC to boot in legacy BIOS mode with SATA in IDE emulation mode if it helps. Assuming you have a modern PC with UEFI.

Otherwise the next best thing would be ti simply virtulise it in VirtualBox or something. Though I've never tested this myself.

Also there was a recent thread here about running Amithlon. Should be in this section somewhere. Worth a search.

Doofus 
Posted on 9-Jun-2018 20:29:55
#9 ]

@SnkBitten
I have an Amithlon with OS 3.9 I bought in ebay. It worked fine for 3 months and there was room to sneak a copy of Lightwave 3D with all my models, scenes, surfaces, and ten years of collected image wraps onto the Windows XP partition. It even runs the PC version of Quake II. I purchased the Amiga version, but it refused to recognize the data disk. Does the Amithlon not have a PPC CPU? What other kind of processors are there? I'm aware of the reasons for the jump from 3.9 to 4.1 and should've just left that question unrelated. (I had seen a quote in Youtube by someone claiming to have gotten OS 4.1 to run on a Raspberry Pi)
My problem is a damaged file called "Mounter". I foolishly replaced the Mounter file from my OS 3.9 CD installation with the one off the 4.1 FE CD. If I could boot from the Amithlon CD I should be able to just copy the file, but no such luck.

Doofus 
Posted on 9-Jun-2018 20:53:09
#10 ]

@Hypex
You're speaking in a foreign language now. I haven't tried the CD package builder yet, but it looks like a good idea. Much appreciation for the advice.

SnkBitten 
Posted on 9-Jun-2018 20:56:25
#11 ]

@Doofus

Amithlon is an x86 (AMD/Intel) based system and has no aspect of PPC (PowerPC) emulation/support. It is an emulation system talking directly to x86 hardware when possible and emulating 68k (Motorola) to allow running AmigaOS. Nothing from AOS4.1 should be copied over to a 68k system (real Amiga's or emulated Amiga's).

How did you setup your Amithlon system? I have the bigird.gz on my systems boot HD so that I can always launch it if I need to make repairs. Bigird.gz contains the small amithlon_hd bootable workbench image (what the Amithlon CD uses on boot).

Some users boot their system to a linux system and then launch Amithlon (which contains it's own linux kernel) while others use a DOS system to launch Amithlon. I use FreeDOS on mine.

Hypex 
Posted on 12-Jun-2018 17:47:43
#12 ]
Elite Member

@Doofus

Quote:
You're speaking in a foreign language now.

LOL. I was going to ask which part? But after a read I would answer as all of it.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle