Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 160 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

zipper

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 zipper:  2 mins ago
 Templario:  7 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  21 mins ago
 RobertB:  27 mins ago
 Gunnar:  28 mins ago
 GPTNederlands:  42 mins ago
 janelancy:  43 mins ago
 -Sam-:  52 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 36 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  X1000 case on/off switch setting
Register To Post

PosterThread
Anonymous 
X1000 case on/off switch setting
Posted on 24-Jun-2018 15:43:39
# ]

Hi guys,

i'm too lazy to burn time with the dreaded forum search, so i'll ask here

I was forced to change my battery in the X1000 and lost some of the settings.
I am nearly where i was before the change, but i'm still having a slighty PITA problem.

What was the setting (and where do i set it) to make the case on/off button perform a reboot only after a three (or so) seconds press and not immediately (like it does now).

I'm also thinking there might be something wrong with the hardware, because, as of now, if i press the power button it shuts down immediately, but i can't turn it on again.
I *have* to turn off the PSU, then unplug the power cord, replug it, turn the PSU on again and only then i can switch on the X1000.

That is all because of the bloody battery change

Some more info:

No, i don't have the possibility to check the voltage of the battery
No, i won't buy a voltmeter

Yes, i *know* that it worked before like i described it
Yes, the PSU is under three years olds
Yes, the X1000 is behaving pretty fine apart from that problem
Yes, i know that there was a thread about how to set the case button to perform like i said (at least, that's what my memory is telling me), i can't find it though

TiA

Report this post  
Hypex 
Re: X1000 case on/off switch setting
Posted on 25-Jun-2018 7:10:56
#2 ]
Elite Member

@Raziel

I just looked at the X1000 wiki. Read the support forums. The userguide. And I can't find find anything that gives exact instructions about this. And I do recall the delay for shut off was brought down. After we had some program that could shut off the computer. The only thing relevant I found was this loose reference to Update 1 and a change in Exec:
http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz//viewtopic.php?f=33&t=3622

Profile     Report this post  
petrol 
Posted on 25-Jun-2018 8:02:06
#3 ]

@Raziel

Hi,
I'm facing the same problem with mine, but I do not unplug it, I only shut the PSU off and press twice or more on the power-on case button. Next, I switch the PSU on, and it boots normaly.
Out of curiosity, did you change your gfx card in the past? (eg a recent gfx card that need extra power supply).

To perform a reboot, why not just use the reboot case button ;)

Regards,
Petrol.

Anonymous 
Posted on 25-Jun-2018 9:54:43
# ]

@Hypex

The Hell?

It was the other way round?
What's up with my brain?

But why did it work all those years with a delay and only after the battery change it's now up to date?

Aw, man.

Thanks for the link though

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 25-Jun-2018 9:58:36
# ]

@petrol

No gfx card change.
I use a RadeonHD 7750 passively cooled with no extra power connector since years now.

I tend to avoid the case button, as, due to the faulty battery, it didn't let me reboot if i used it.
It just hanged on the hardware init, i had to turn off the whole system, wait for bunch of secons and pray that it booted after that.

I *normally* use my own script and the reboot program to reboot or power off.
(but not even that works after the battery change...ah well.) - Fixed, still had a lock on one of the files.

Last edited by Raziel on 25-Jun-2018 at 10:05 AM.

Report this post  
Hypex 
Posted on 26-Jun-2018 15:53:32
#6 ]
Elite Member

@Raziel

LOL. It must depend on how it's wired.

So how is it now? And you don't have one of those cases without a real reset buttton?

Anonymous 
Posted on 4-Jul-2018 11:35:22
# ]

@Hypex

Well, this is one of the stranger "features" that come with Amiga hardware.

After testing dozens of batteries with no success or change to the problems...

-it got worse as i wasn't able to shut the system down anymore with the case button. I HAD to switch off the PSU, unplug the cable, replug it, turn the PSU on and only then the system started. But with the gimmick that after a fresh start my RAM wasn't seen anymore. Another nice addition was hen i shut the system down with the reboot shutoff command, the command was sent immediately and after that i couldn't turn it on again, PSU juggling needed-

...so i went back to the flaky battery i changed in the first place...and what do you now?
I'm back to *normal*, it worked as it did before...stupid illogical problems i always seem to be dragged in, hate that.

...well, does anyone know of a female battery of the same brand/type so i could start breeding working ones?

Report this post  
petrol 
Posted on 4-Jul-2018 13:08:54
#8 ]

@Raziel

Quote:
I HAD to switch off the PSU, unplug the cable, replug it, turn the PSU on and only then the system started

It won't help to resolve this issue, but instead of unpluging the PSU, try to trigger the power case button twice or more before turning the PSU on again!
It works for me, and I don't have to unplug the X1000. It is like if some residual electricity blocked the mainboard initialisation.

Quote:
after a fresh start my RAM wasn't seen anymore

Do you mean a strange error in CFE shell screen, where it complains about not enough memory at boot?
When I got this, I unplug/replug the sata cables on the mainboard. Sata connection are a bit weaky on X1000.

Regards,
Petrol.

Hypex 
Posted on 5-Jul-2018 17:02:04
#9 ]
Elite Member

@Raziel

This is a bit of a shocker. It doesn't even like it earthed. Got a good solid power cable? I had trouble with one of my cables. Didn't look that weak but kept getting problems. Drives not showing up, out of memory errors and reboot loop. Better when I replaced it.

This week my A1XE has given me problems. First I was getting a black screen and confirmed the battery was dead. Replaced that. With a Panasonic that worked well. Had it a few years and measured it as being at least 3.3 volts.

But when I booted up it went weird. Go to open a drawer and it just stopped. But pointer was still moving. Hard reset. Same problem. Shut off and on. Seems okay.

But it got worse. Tried to turn it on before. Dead. Monitor still has power so the PSU pass through is working. I suppose it loops the power in directly to the power out. Which explains why the monitor has power and the A1 is dead. Will need to get a spare PSU to test if that is the problem.

Well it's probably about time I spend more time on theX1000. If it's stuffed I can just drag my HDD out and stick in my X1000.

Oh great my laptop space bar is sticking. Must be that time of the month.

lylehaze 
Posted on 6-Jul-2018 9:20:32
#10 ]

@Raziel

As best I can recall:
The X1000 reset button does a hard reset immeditely.
The X1000 power button requires you to HOLD for a couple seconds until the power turns off (not resets).
There are programs that can hold the power button for you, to allow scripted power downs, but it still takes a second or two. They MIGHT be able to start by seeing you press the power button.

The "standard" CR2032 battery voltage drops slowly over it's normal life. If you have something that only likes certain batteries, it may be worth finding a "BR2032". Same size and voltage, but the voltage curve is practically flat, until it suddenly falls. Harder to find, but very useful for stuff that is picky about battery voltage.

Finally, if you're swapping wires around, you might plug the case "Power" LED into the X1000 "CPU" pins. it will work just like the power LED, except you can script it to turn off and on again if you want to flash lights to alert you to something. The program to do this in on OS4Depot. Even if you don't use ANY program, it will work just like the power LED anyway, so nothing lost.

Hypex 
Posted on 6-Jul-2018 17:27:19
#11 ]
Elite Member

@Raziel

That was some good advice just above. I also recall, the firmware can act up, if the time and date are not correct. So check these and maybe save date settings from CFE to be sure.

Anonymous 
Posted on 14-Jul-2018 14:29:28
# ]

@petrol

Quote:

Quote:

I HAD to switch off the PSU, unplug the cable, replug it, turn the PSU on and only then the system started

It won't help to resolve this issue, but instead of unpluging the PSU, try to trigger the power case button twice or more before turning the PSU on again!
It works for me, and I don't have to unplug the X1000. It is like if some residual electricity blocked the mainboard initialisation.

Believe me, i tried that every time after reading some old irc logs where this and other hints were given, no chance whatsoever

Quote:

Quote:

after a fresh start my RAM wasn't seen anymore

Do you mean a strange error in CFE shell screen, where it complains about not enough memory at boot?
When I got this, I unplug/replug the sata cables on the mainboard. Sata connection are a bit weaky on X1000.

No, i mean that on the serial log the init process stopped at the RAM init and never went by

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 14-Jul-2018 14:35:29
# ]

@Hypex

Quote:

This is a bit of a shocker. It doesn't even like it earthed. Got a good solid power cable? I had trouble with one of my cables. Didn't look that weak but kept getting problems. Drives not showing up, out of memory errors and reboot loop. Better when I replaced it.

It's the original one that came with the PSU, never let me down, so i guess it's ok.

I did have a rather old power surge protector plugged in between, but that one is gone now.
I tested with and without it, no change though

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 14-Jul-2018 14:48:32
# ]

@lylehaze

Quote:

As best I can recall:
The X1000 reset button does a hard reset immeditely.
The X1000 power button requires you to HOLD for a couple seconds until the power turns off (not resets).

Reset button, i know
Power button, see the first answer in this thread, Hypex wrote that this exact behaviour was taken down, but it still works for me with the "flaky" battery.

Quote:

There are programs that can hold the power button for you, to allow scripted power downs, but it still takes a second or two. They MIGHT be able to start by seeing you press the power button.

I know and use that.
I use my own script to reset and (delay) power down my system.

But as i wrote above, with a different battery ALL of the known behaviour changed to the worst.
i.e. my script stopped delaying the shutdown, it shut down immediately and left me with a dead system (until i performed the PSU unplugging)

Quote:

The "standard" CR2032 battery voltage drops slowly over it's normal life. If you have something that only likes certain batteries, it may be worth finding a "BR2032". Same size and voltage, but the voltage curve is practically flat, until it suddenly falls. Harder to find, but very useful for stuff that is picky about battery voltage.

Thank you for the hint, i just ordered some BR2032 and fingers crossed it will not start the BS again

Quote:

Finally, if you're swapping wires around, you might plug the case "Power" LED into the X1000 "CPU" pins. it will work just like the power LED, except you can script it to turn off and on again if you want to flash lights to alert you to something. The program to do this in on OS4Depot. Even if you don't use ANY program, it will work just like the power LED anyway, so nothing lost.

That's a cool feature i never heard of, thanks a bunch for this one, do you know what that program is called?
^^
Scrap that, i already had the wires on CPU and i already use the POff program with my own script.

More than that, in the description of said POff program it reads "-X1000 takes 4 seconds internaly to poweroff, be patient " and that is exactly what it did not with the changed battery in place.

It simply shut it down immediately after my script started and left me with a dead hardware not able to turn on with the power button again.

There is something awfully wrong with the other batteries i have...maybe they were all tainted by the PCs i ripped them from?

Last edited by Raziel on 15-Jul-2018 at 08:33 AM.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 15-Jul-2018 8:34:21
# ]

@lylehaze

I'd still be interested in that "flash lights to alert you to something" program, i didn't find it on the Depot.

Report this post  
TearsOfMe 
Posted on 17-Jul-2018 9:07:15
#16 ]

@Raziel

I think this is what lylehaze means:

http://os4depot.net/index.php?function=showfile&file=utility/hardware/nemo_led_p31.lha

Edit: typo in nickname

Last edited by TearsOfMe on 17-Jul-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Last edited by TearsOfMe on 17-Jul-2018 at 09:08 AM.
Last edited by TearsOfMe on 17-Jul-2018 at 09:07 AM.

Anonymous 
Posted on 24-Jul-2018 19:49:30
# ]

@TearsOfMe

Thanks

@lylehaze

Got the BR2032, so far it's working fine from the beginning

Report this post  
klx300r 
Posted on 7-Oct-2018 21:49:38
#18 ]
Elite Member

@Raziel

glad you got it sorted out! This is a common issue with the X1000 and CMOS battery(see Hyperion support thread here and seems the standard CR2032 lasts a good 5 years on average before issues..I recently replaced mine and put a reminder in my calendar close to 5 years from now to replace it again

@ Lyle

great idea to use the BR2032

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Xenic 
Posted on 8-Oct-2018 14:41:35
#19 ]

@I'm glad this topic was posted. I misinterpreted the change to the power button action. I thought the change just shortened the time that the power button needed to be pressed and for years have been holding the power button down until the system shut off. I just tried pressing and releasing the power button and sure enough, the system shut down. If I haden't read this topic and followed the links, I'd probably still be holding down the power button for years.

Hypex 
Posted on 8-Oct-2018 14:55:18
#20 ]
Elite Member

@Xenic

It's funny as I recently just tried pressing the power button. Too thinking it needed to be held down. I found I just need to touch it, I can see the CPU clock stop, and within moments it's off. Though this is useful. I don't like it as it's too easy to turn off. But hey so is reset.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle