Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
28 crawler(s) on-line.
 126 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OneTimer1

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OneTimer1:  37 secs ago
 amigakit:  16 mins ago
 Troels:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 51 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 3 mins ago
 Comi:  3 hrs 33 mins ago
 vox:  4 hrs 18 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  puzzling alert
Register To Post

PosterThread
kilaueabart 
puzzling alert
Posted on 17-Jul-2018 0:00:53
#1 ]
Cult Member

Any ideas what this is all about? I got it several times, with different times noted.

Mon Jul 16 16:10:13 2018 [info ]: ARP information for 192.168.1.14 overwritten by B8:27:EB:78:6D:3C.

Profile     Report this post  
Severin 
Re: puzzling alert
Posted on 17-Jul-2018 2:14:00
#2 ]
Elite Member

@kilaueabart

I know very little abiut networks but:

192.168.1.14 = IP address of something on your network

B8:27:EB:78:6D:3C = The mac address of whatever overwrote that IP.

Could just be your router renewing the lease on that IP or another device (computer/mobile/neighbour) trying to connect on the same IP.

Visit the Official OS4 Support Site for more help.

It may be that your sole purpose is to serve as a warning to others.

Hypex 
Posted on 17-Jul-2018 4:07:48
#3 ]
Elite Member

@kilaueabart

Was it an actual alert? Yellow box? I thought ARP sounded a bit old but it means Address Resolution Protocol when I looked it up so still current.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Address_Resolution_Protocol

Do you have a Raspberry Pi? The first six hex digits of the MAC are for that company.

https://hwaddress.com/mac-address-range/B8-27-EB-00-00-00/B8-27-EB-FF-FF-FF

And I'm no network expert either.

K-L 
Posted on 17-Jul-2018 5:08:44
#4 ]

@kilaueabrt

You've got a duplicate adress sent by your DHCP. Maybe you gave the same fixed IP twice to one of your devices.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 18-Jul-2018 4:38:38
#5 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

Well, you sure figured out more about it than I was able to. I never thought of looking up ARP, and yes, this whatever-it-is came up over my Raspberry Pi screen when I was running it with TwinVNC from OS4. I guess it's not a problem, so I'll quit puzzling myself and others over it.

I wonder if I ever knew that alerts were yellow? I just figure if I get a little window (well, this one is all the way across the top of the screen) telling me something wasn't normal it was an alert.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 18-Jul-2018 4:46:31
#6 ]
Cult Member

@K-L

My Raspberry Pi sometimes changes IP. It has been 192.168.1.13, 192.168.1.14, and 192.168.1.3. Very annoying if I have to switch mouse and keyboard from the X5000 to the Pi to find out what it is currently. But as long as it keeps being one of those three, I'm OK.

AmeegaGuy 
Posted on 18-Jul-2018 15:00:45
#7 ]

@kilaueabart

You can configure your DHCP service to reserve a block of addresses which will never be assigned. Then configure your RPi to a fixed IP at one of these unassigned addresses. That way it won't "change" on you.

remotenemesis 
Posted on 18-Jul-2018 15:02:52
#8 ]

@kilaueabart

Address Resolution Protocol is used on your local network to find a MAC address for another piece of networked hardware. The client sends a broadcast message to everyone on the network querying for a particular IP address it wants to communicate with. If a device with the desired IP address exists on the network it will respond with its MAC address.

Your computer caches a table of IP Address to MAC addresses it is has discovered via ARP.

I think ARP is telling you that the MAC address for a particular IP has changed, which means that a device has probably changed its IP address. This might happen because it was powered off or when attempting to renew its IP address lease over DHCP.

On Linux, UNIX and macOS at least you can run "arp -a" to display the ARP table.

Last edited by remotenemesis on 18-Jul-2018 at 03:09 PM.
Last edited by remotenemesis on 18-Jul-2018 at 03:06 PM.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 4-Sep-2018 4:25:00
#9 ]
Cult Member

@AmeegaGuy
Are you suggesting I do something like this?

https://www.ostechnix.com/install-dhcp-server-in-ubuntu-16-04/https://www.ostechnix.com/install-dhcp-server-in-ubuntu-16-04/

Looks like a bit of a job. I want to be sure that's what you mean before I try it.

Last edited by kilaueabart on 04-Sep-2018 at 04:26 AM.

Anonymous 
Posted on 4-Sep-2018 8:19:34
# ]

@kilaueabart

As others have pointed out this is a clash of IP adresses by your router.

I get this sometimes when i change IP addresses (which i don't do often, only when new gear arrives) and *normally* only when two machines boot at the same time and try to get their IP.

You can circumvent it by setting fixed addresses for your gear in the router, no need to set up another server thingie.

i.e. B8:27:EB:78:6D:3C is the MAC address of one of your machines, probably the RPi?

Go to your router firmware, set a fixed address and tell the router to always use that same address, do that for your other machines aswell and you'll never get this error again.

It's not a problem on Windows, Linux or other machines, they release and get a new connection automatically, but the Amiga is kind of dumb when it comes to the internet stack...get offline once (i.e. reboot the router) and you'll never get internet access again until you reboot.

(It doesn't help to restart the internet stack, this only freeze the system, at least for me)

Report this post  
broadblues 
Posted on 4-Sep-2018 9:57:23
#11 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Raziel

Quote:

t's not a problem on Windows, Linux or other machines, they release and get a new connection automatically, but the Amiga is kind of dumb when it comes to the internet stack...get offline once (i.e. reboot the router) and you'll never get internet access again until you reboot.

This is not the case for me, I can reboot my router or power it down and up again and internet connection continues seamlessly from both my SAM 440 and my X1000.

I do use fixed ip rather than DHCP though, which could be a significant differece, or perhaps it;s even a router compatabilty issue. And the fixed IPs are defined by the machine rather than the router (my router doesn't support that feature anyway as far as I can tell).

The only thing on my LAN using DHCP is my phone, all else uses fixed IP, printer, laptop and two amigas, the addresses used are outside the DHCP range so that they don;t get "stolen" by the phone or other visiting machine (ie a friends phone).

broadblues 
Posted on 4-Sep-2018 10:04:18
#12 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@kilaueabart

Quote:

Are you suggesting I do something like this?

https://www.ostechnix.com/install-dhcp-server-in-ubuntu-16-04/https://www.ostechnix.com/install-dhcp-server-in-ubuntu-16-04/

Looks like a bit of a job. I want to be sure that's what you mean before I try it.

No he's not.

Somewhere in the settings of your router there will be range of IPs to offer via DHCP. On mine by default its from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.200 You can use address outside that range for fixed IP (a couple will be reservere eg the router itself uses 192.168.1.254 and 255 for gateway and broadcast IIRC)

I've raised the floor of that range to 192.168.1.105 and have

SAM 192.168.1.100
X1K 192.168.1.101
PC 192.168.1.102
LAPTOP 192.168.1.103

the printer is at 192.168.0.253

phone ends up as 192.168.1.105 most often.

Last edited by broadblues on 04-Sep-2018 at 10:08 AM.

Hypex 
Posted on 4-Sep-2018 16:37:05
#13 ]
Elite Member

@Raziel

Quote:
It's not a problem on Windows, Linux or other machines, they release and get a new connection automatically, but the Amiga is kind of dumb when it comes to the internet stack...get offline once (i.e. reboot the router) and you'll never get internet access again until you reboot.

Kind of dumb. LOL. Olaf worked hard on that thing over the years. But actually I have seen it on OSX. But that was on PPC. So the stack was slightly old.

Quote:
(It doesn't help to restart the internet stack, this only freeze the system, at least for me)

You mean that old bug is there there?

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 4-Sep-2018 16:54:17
#14 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

no it's not a bug in roadshow, at last not this one

if you have retur like one from DELL or ZyXel or what ever brand, it has built in DHCP server that provided a IP address when you computer is configured to use "DHCP", if your computer is not configured to use DHCP, but is using static IP, that static IP most not be in DHCP range that your DELL router gives to computers that request IP addresses.

if you IP 10.0.0.50, and your router has DHCP range from 10.0.0.40 to 10.0.0.60, then its possible that router will give 10.0.0.50 to your mobile phone, so now your PC and your mobile phone has the same IP, this result in communication problems. you basically broke the internet.

how ever if your DELL routers (or what ever brand you have) has a DHCP range is from 10.0.0.40 to 10.0.0.60 and your PC has IP is 10.0.0.39 then your safe. because 10.0.0.39 is outside of the DHCP range in this case.

if the DHCP can't be configured, it normal start from low IP addresses and go upwards, so IP 10.0.0.254 is safer then 10.0.0.1 that is almost already taken by router.

10.0.0.255 is almost always a broadcast IP, and must never be used by any PC's. its IP address if your local network. and also 10.0.0.0 should never be used, don't remember way.

so 10.0.0.x is just a example 192.168.x.y is also typical local IP's..

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 04-Sep-2018 at 04:59 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 4-Sep-2018 17:07:01
#15 ]
Elite Member

@kilaueabart

You should never install a DHCP server in a network, if there already is a DHCP server in your network. (unless your administrator for company, and you know what you are doing)

If your DELL router provides IP addresses to computers and printers that configured with BOOTP or DHCP, then you will end up with two DHCP sever that don't know about etch other, there be two DHCP ranges etch of the routers. If DHCP server 1 will give IP to PC 1 and DHCP server 2 will think the same address is free and give it PC 2. Now PC1 and PC2 end up having the same IP, and when PC3 and PC4 connects now total brain f*cked network communication.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 04-Sep-2018 at 05:15 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 04-Sep-2018 at 05:13 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 04-Sep-2018 at 05:09 PM.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 7-Sep-2018 0:06:48
#16 ]
Cult Member

@Raziel

Quote:
As others have pointed out this is a clash of IP adresses by your router.

I haven't used a router since setting the machine up again after my move to the mainland. I can probably find it if I need to, but the "arp -a" approach would have worked for me today, if I had believed it. I hope I can get along with just my t-link. Actually I think I quit using a router a year ago.

kolla 
Posted on 7-Sep-2018 0:31:15
#17 ]
Elite Member

@kilaueabart

Without a router, you are not online, your "t-link" is your router.

Last edited by kolla on 07-Sep-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Last edited by kolla on 07-Sep-2018 at 12:32 AM.

QuikSanz 
Posted on 7-Sep-2018 3:53:33
#18 ]

@kilaueabart,

The gateway is usually device .1 at the end of the string. The router assigns additional devices in order computer 2-3 and so on. At work device numbers for sold units are assigned at .40, most offices do not have that many network devices. Make it static if you can at .10 or something like that. Fiber all bets are off, your gateway is your router, go from there up.

Chris

Last edited by QuikSanz on 07-Sep-2018 at 04:10 AM.

Hypex 
Posted on 7-Sep-2018 16:08:07
#19 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

I meant the freezing bug.

I used to have a NetGear DG834G setup. I set it up to forward ports in the torrent days when that was the in thing. I didn't make any static IP setup. I like auto-ness of DHCP. But I used to get that IP conflict error on OS4 sometimes. And sometimes I got it on my PowerBook. Haven't seen it for a while but I've changed to a NetGear D6200 now.

As I recall, an easy and my preferred way of setting up static IP, is to assign an IP address to each MAC. And give each IP a network name. So it can be pinged by name on the network. But leave the DHCP server on.

I don't recal if there are problems with that type of setup. But I like the idea of leaving DHCP on in the router and also use DHCP in the machines. Where the router already has a predefined map of IP addresses that it knows and hands out every time. As well as being able to accept new devices without conflict.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle