Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 144 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  44 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 AmigaPapst:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 jPV:  1 hr 55 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  2 hrs 1 min ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 44 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  4 hrs 44 mins ago
 djnick:  5 hrs 4 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  Bit Plane Technology
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
PosterThread
ErikBauer 
Re: Bit Plane Technology
Posted on 1-Aug-2018 13:02:18
#101 ]

@saimo

Quote:

saimo wrote:
@ErikBauer

Quote:
AFAIK Banshee cleverly used this trick to obtain transparency effect for rain and big laser beams
Game ran on 8 bit screenmode (256 colors max) with 7 bit fixed palette (128 different colors).
The upper 128 colors (activated by the 8th bit) were the lower 128 modified as they would look if seen in trasparency through raindrops or lasers.
At this point they just had to draw raindrops and lasers as a 1 bit mask on the 8th layer of the screen to obtain the transparency effect.

(I red the article long ago and can't find it back now, so sorry if I lost something during all this time and gave wrong informations, but as I see there are plenty of programmers here that can correct me)

Yes, Banshee has those transparency effects. IIRC, on the first level it had 2 layers of fog, so, at least there, the graphics were on 6 bitplanes (64 colors) - but for memory and speed reasons, it's likely that the same holds true for the whole game (after all, 64 colors are a lot for a good pixeller, and Banshee's is an excellent one). I'm doing the same for SkillGrid (except that I do that on more layers).

Unless they used the "Checkboard dithering" trick to simulate different levels of fog density:

The transparency mask is filled with alternate pixels for low fog density and with all pixels for high fog density... but again I can't precisely recall how it was handled

Last edited by ErikBauer on 01-Aug-2018 at 01:03 PM.
Last edited by ErikBauer on 01-Aug-2018 at 01:02 PM.

Check my Amiga gameplays (ITA)!

Profile     Report this post  
saimo 
Posted on 1-Aug-2018 13:50:57
#102 ]
Elite Member

@ErikBauer

Quote:

Quote:
Yes, Banshee has those transparency effects. IIRC, on the first level it had 2 layers of fog, so, at least there, the graphics were on 6 bitplanes (64 colors) - but for memory and speed reasons, it's likely that the same holds true for the whole game (after all, 64 colors are a lot for a good pixeller, and Banshee's is an excellent one). I'm doing the same for SkillGrid (except that I do that on more layers).

Unless they used the "Checkboard dithering" trick to simulate different levels of fog density:

The transparency mask is filled with alternate pixels for low fog density and with all pixels for high fog density... but again I can't precisely recall how it was handled

They did use some dithering, but not to obtain the 2 layers of fog. My memory was partially failing me: I watched a longplay, and the double fog layer was not in the city level, but in the desert one. It can be seen between 30:08 and 30:10 in this video. It's worth noting that they could have had 3 different intensity degrees, but they actually used only 2, probably for speed reasons - my guess is that they did it like this:
1. draw fog on bitplane 6 by blitting a few patterns (more or less randomly, with a frequency going from low to high to low);
2. draw fog on bitplane 7 according to the same logic.
This way, they only used the combinations 01 and 11 (unless by chance the patterns on bitplane 7 were blitted in a place where there was no pattern on bitplane 6, but that doesn't seem to happen in the video), whereas using also the combination 10 would have required blitting an additional time to clear bitplane 6.

I have just downloaded a screenshot for each level and checked the colors, and got confirmation that the graphics, effects aside, are in 64 colors.

Last edited by saimo on 01-Aug-2018 at 01:51 PM.

ErikBauer 
Posted on 1-Aug-2018 14:04:57
#103 ]

@saimo

Cool! It's always nice to learn something new
Thanx for the analysis :)

Check my Amiga gameplays (ITA)!

saimo 
Posted on 1-Aug-2018 14:09:51
#104 ]
Elite Member

@ErikBauer

Quote:
Cool! It's always nice to learn something new
Thanx for the analysis :)

You're welcome

Hypex 
Posted on 1-Aug-2018 16:30:23
#105 ]
Elite Member

@saimo

Quote:
Those are additional reasons, but the main reason why buffering is necessary is that the CPU can't sync all the time to Paula, even if it just had to write a single byte each time (unless, again, the CPU does not anything else to do).

No, the CPU couldn't sync in practical circumstances. But there is the audio end interrupt for that and the delay after which a new bufffer can be loaded into the audio registers. For live streams being played it also does double buffering. IIRC it needs two IORequests to represent each buffer. I've programmed both the device and library interface years ago.

Quote:
Didn't we conclude already that your 15 bit idea doesn't work?

I thought we concluded that my 16-bt idea can't work and I concluded my 15-bit ideas was plausible?

saimo 
Posted on 1-Aug-2018 18:35:23
#106 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
Quote:
Those are additional reasons, but the main reason why buffering is necessary is that the CPU can't sync all the time to Paula, even if it just had to write a single byte each time (unless, again, the CPU does not anything else to do).

No, the CPU couldn't sync in practical circumstances. But there is the audio end interrupt for that and the delay after which a new bufffer can be loaded into the audio registers.

I was talking of the no buffering case, which would require the CPU to stay synchronized constantly.

Quote:
Quote:
Didn't we conclude already that your 15 bit idea doesn't work?

I thought we concluded that my 16-bt idea can't work and I concluded my 15-bit ideas was plausible?

No, I had answered to your 15 bit idea (8 bits in one channel + 8 bits in another to get 9 bits resolution*, plus the 6 bits coming from the volume to get 15 bits).

*Almost, as the value +255 is not possible.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle