Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 118 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  6 mins ago
 amigakit:  15 mins ago
 vox:  41 mins ago
 zipper:  44 mins ago
 kolla:  51 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 49 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 20 mins ago
 Frank:  3 hrs 5 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  Odyssey: a href to files on my storage. How?
Register To Post

PosterThread
ggw 
Odyssey: a href to files on my storage. How?
Posted on 29-Jul-2018 2:03:16
#1 ]

For the longest time I have used [Project][Open File] to get a starting place for the html files on my disk storage.

I can write links that work if don't use file://, but only as long my links thereafter do not cite either http[s]:// or file://. Furthermore, it is only useful for starting at the top of a tree, but NOT if that starting point is at the root of a volume (Work1:a.html for instance).

I have around a 1000 html files for which iBrowse served me very well, but since then, all kinds of strange rules have to followed in order to use browsers (Odyssey being the best one at the moment) with any sensible navigation .. in particular moving from Work1: to Work2: (or the like).

These days I have tools which can go about modifying stuff, but I haven't been able to figure out what to change it to.

I tried out quite a few possibilities (about 12 variations) to no avail.

Has anyone faced this issue and have a scheme that is explainable? I know these things can depend on one slight syntax change, but I haven't found such a thing.

I do not have THAT kind of problem with tooling around the internet.

..effects of civilization upon...nature, the growing gap between what education was supposed to accomplish and what it consisted of, the national debt and...high taxes, the problem of the excess cost of medical care -- Philip Wylie, 1951

Profile     Report this post  
ASiegel 
Re: Odyssey: a href to files on my storage. How?
Posted on 29-Jul-2018 16:06:04
#2 ]

@ggw

Quote:

ggw wrote:
For the longest time I have used [Project][Open File] to get a starting place for the html files on my disk storage.

When you do open a document this way, what does it say in the URL address field? (Please note the exact spelling.)

ggw 
Posted on 21-Jul-2020 16:31:34
#3 ]

@ASiegel

It has been 2 years, OK? I will answer more fully tomorrow? I still have 8 hours of programming to do from here at home yet today for my employer.

Just understand that my setup started last century and I was/am loathe to move everything "down into a tree on one storage device". Your solution is certainly an advantage when starting. I advise you to make a mock up of linked html files and then try it out on as many browsers that admit to the existence of the Amiga file system as you can find.

Pick html file placements that satisfies all of them!

George

..effects of civilization upon...nature, the growing gap between what education was supposed to accomplish and what it consisted of, the national debt and...high taxes, the problem of the excess cost of medical care -- Philip Wylie, 1951

ggw 
Posted on 26-Jul-2020 3:11:59
#4 ]

@ASiegel

Though I complained in 2018, the work I did was in 2011 so no wonder I had trouble finding it. That work is out of date, so I did it again for the Odessey 1.23 and the netSurf 3.10. Doing those 2 was way more work than I remembered.

See http://cjwyche.org/2020/20200725/test1.html

What you see is for show. There are no useful links unless you happen to have a Work1: and a miscellaneous test0.html there.

I will await your questions before I annotate it further. Since NO Amiga browser is upto normal every day, every way, use with the internet, I didn't seek out other browsers unless you have specific ones in mind. Doing additional ones shouldn't be a lot of trouble if you get back to me within a couple months. I ditched the old iBrowse quite a while ago. I haven't paid for the new one.

As others have pointed out you CAN use either browser's "Open Local File", but I have many such files to be referenced by links in other html files, so that observation hasn't been useful.

This is not an overall critique of Amiga browsers, but just how to allow reference to html files stored in the root of a partition.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle