Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 107 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  1 min ago
 clint:  6 mins ago
 amigang:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 Tpod:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 1 min ago
 Birbo:  2 hrs 16 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 23 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 50 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 47 mins ago
 MarcioD:  4 hrs 10 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Hyperion is the end coming
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
PosterThread
g01df1sh 
Hyperion is the end coming
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 11:24:21
#1 ]

Hi All

What will happen to Amiga OS4 if Hyperion goes bust from wasting to much time and money on legal crap. Will it get sold or will it just be left to die :(

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

Profile     Report this post  
K-L 
Re: Hyperion is the end coming
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 12:11:52
#2 ]

@g01df1sh

It is already dead IMHO.

amigakit 
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 12:15:35
#3 ]
Amiga Kit

@g01df1sh

We will always look after customers.

Work on the Enhancer Software by the Amiga Developer Team will continue. There are lots of reasons to be positive. We have recently completed the Radeon RX Polaris driver support for both 2D and Warp3D Nova which is great news for OS4 in 2018.

The free update of version 1.4 is due out shortly and major release of V2 later this year.

AMIStore app store has just received a public update and AMIStore for Enhancer Software version is due imminently incorporating Updater tool.

More work continues behind the scenes. However we are actively pushing through updates to end users now via Updater.

K-L 
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 12:40:01
#4 ]

@amigakit

Well...

Polaris support. Yeah. For what ? I already own a RX 250 (HD 7770) and nothing takes advantage of it (except Spencer). I bought an RX 580 but I put it in my PC, there will be no advantage to use it with my X1000 (no better video support, no 3D app or games using NOVA).

graphics.library still has no support for DMA on the X5000, making the most powerful AmigaOS 4.1 compatible system slower than the AmigaOne X1000 regarding video.

AmiStore was updated but nothing in AmiStore has appeared since months. Moreover, there are still many softwares in TBA state and have been for years (!!).

Updater was updated and we still don't know what are the changelogs of programs (mainly minor modifications of libraries ?).

"More work continues behind the scene" ? Well when the work is finished, I doubt there will be anyone left to buy it.

Actually, there is absolutely no reason to be positive.

OS4Depot : 1 or 2 programs get out per week and, unfortunatley, nothing interesting from a user point of view.

I think I've just bought my last purchase on AmiStore today : Ubuntu Remix DVD since I think it's time to leave AmigaOS 4.1 where it is : dead. And I hope I won't regret my purchase since installing Linux on X1000 seems to be a real pain.

AmigaOne 1222 : best joke of past years (and future ones to come).

BTW : best years are behind us, not in front. There is nothing interesting to come.

Hyperion : worth less than 1000€. So I don't except anything to come from them in future months or years.

So even if the Enhancer Pack is great, it won't update the core of the system and we'll get stuck with nothing new regarding SMP or memory.

Maybe I'll be proved wrong and I'll wait til the end of 2018 and then, I'll take the most logical decision (we are all getting old) and get rid of all this OS4 thing. It was fun in 2004, it was even fun years after but today, there is no more fun.

The only "funny" events that occur is about trial and properties rights. Sad.

Well, I'll repeat it but there is no reason to be positive. Absolutely no reason.

bennymee 
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 12:59:38
#5 ]
Cult Member

@amigakit

It is great to have Polaris support, is there a list coming up with supported cards ?

K-L 
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 13:04:33
#6 ]

@bennymee

Why is it great ? What software will take advantage of it ?

bennymee 
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 13:04:50
#7 ]
Cult Member

@K-L

I am here with you with the Amistore, why not put more programm's in it so developers get some extra bucks from of their work.

Edit: and the ease of use.
Edit 2: besides os4 depot, you can add Aminet, software runs on Os4 with Petunia or UAE.

Last edited by bennymee on 10-Aug-2018 at 01:12 PM.

amigakit 
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 13:08:32
#8 ]
Amiga Kit

@K-L

It is very important to keep updating the graphics driver system (2D and 3D) to keep pace with the mainstream world. AMD are relentless in updating chipsets. A years worth of work to add Polaris support provides a great platform to build upon and incrementally keep us up to date with future chipsets.

The new RadeonHD v3 and RadeonRX now offer 64-bit VRAM support to utilise the huge amount of video memory with new graphics cards. Play an old game such as OpenJK and see how easy it is to overrun 256MB hard limit imposed by Picasso96.

We are working on new software that uses Shaders so this work is very important for the future.

The X5000 ethernet driver has been completed and will feature on the Enhancer Software v1.4.

MultiViewer is an excellent part of the Enhancer Software, it now has scaling and resizing and support for our new Sound Datatype.

X-Dock also has DockApp support which will be important for monitoring the Radeon hardware. We have some exciting forthcoming updates in this area.

Onwards and upwards!

bennymee 
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 13:08:54
#9 ]
Cult Member

@K-L

Polaris cards are better available. I also have a 7750, but no warrenty anymore and bought it allready used, so a new Polaris is welcome. And it can be a low spec one, as long as it does 4K-resolution.

kas1e 
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 13:35:27
#10 ]
Elite Member

@Mattew
K-L is right, sadly. Polaris support have no needs while we don't have DMA support in graphics.library for x5k. I.e. we have no necessary basics working, but then we jump on polaris support. There is also no GART support, making everything slow as always.

And what is twice sadly, is that its over Hyperion's hands, which mean, even if anyone will do DMA support in graphics library for x5000, it will collect dust for few more years, while someone from hyperion will think its time to make another release.

There was about dozens of fixes in os4 components, and which count dust how much .. 2 years ?:)

And that Tabor thing, which was from very beginning bad choice of CPU, which make it all spend developer's time to nothing and loose precius resources ..

So K-L is right, there is nothing interesting anymore except Enhancer Pack, but, that alone is not enough sadly, until everything else in so big ass..

Realisticaly, the only way as i can think of, is that hyperion will sold out all the os4 source code which under their control to someone like you and trevor, and then, it can be at least possible to at least made offten releases, and pay for developer's work. But also realisticaly, i fail to see hyperion will sold out anything to anyone in sane price, till there is even tiny chance that someone can do something with it.

Soon there will be no one, and main reassons, that simply things take years, which in real (non amiga) world, take weeks, or days. As well as shifted priorities to pay for legal battles instead of developers, as well as insane and egocentric ppls all over the places , as well as .. well .. we all know the reality :)

Last edited by kas1e on 10-Aug-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Last edited by kas1e on 10-Aug-2018 at 01:38 PM.

amigakit 
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 14:11:13
#11 ]
Amiga Kit

@kas1e

The excellent work you have done testing Warp3D Nova has been most appreciated. As a result we have added new features and implemented bug fixes to Nova. This will no doubt offer opportunities to port more modern software across to OS4 than has been possible in the past.

Leveraging the power and memory of the GPU is really important going forward and we fully recognise this.

Everything in the Enhancer Software is in our team's hands. It has been developed from the ground up and/or from acquisitions of software. There are many other components and software that have not yet been added to the Enhancer Software that have been developed or acquired and as a result are safeguarded for the future.

Finally, apart from members of the Amiga Developer Team, let us not forget the talents of other great developers like Daniel Muessener, HunoPPC and Entwickler-X who also contribute to keep software flowing.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 14:15:40
#12 ]
Elite Member

@amigakit

I agree with Kas1e here if Hyperion goes down, I fear it drag everything else with it.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 10-Aug-2018 at 02:16 PM.

number6 
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 14:19:37
#13 ]
Elite Member

@thread

me notes OP....
Quote:
What will happen to Amiga OS4

me notes claim...
Quote:
Hyperion Entertainment confirms exclusive rights to AmigaOS

me notes defense of OS4.x survival mounted by -not- Hyperion.

Oh well, it's early yet, right?

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 14:27:49
#14 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Well basically developers are have contract with Hyperion, who owns what depends on what this individual contract says. Don't they?

But I guess suing AmigaKit is next if they Hyperion is terminated.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 10-Aug-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 10-Aug-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 10-Aug-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 10-Aug-2018 at 02:29 PM.

number6 
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 14:31:39
#15 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

I think you missed my point?

If Hyperion were attentive as regards PR, they would have jumped on this thread immediately to defend against the fears expressed here.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 14:33:36
#16 ]
Elite Member

@number6

I don't think they are monitoring forums all day long.

Lou 
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 14:36:55
#17 ]
Elite Member

Best thing to do with OS4 is to back-port it to 68K-Vampire AND [ARM] Raspberry Pi 3b+.
PPC has been dead.
This is why Hyperion jumped on the 3.1.X bandwagon. It's a much bigger market especially now with it's undeniable revival thanks to Vampire/Apollo. Of course in so doing - it/they/he caused the current legal poop-storm.

Perhaps someday the Vampire can reach Raspberry Pi status...

Oh by the way, you can trick-out a Raspberry Pi 3 for under $100 and between that and an OS4 X___ box, guess which one is much more useful?

Port or die! [...though how can you kill something already dead?] /smh

A long time ago, I suggested treating OS3.x+68K software as an intermediate language on ANY non-68K platforms. This would offer non-68K hardware a way to run 68K software native-ly. In this way, you can get out of the sandbox that traditional emulation forces you into. Sure, hardware-banging software would have issues but for that you could fall back to emulation.

For the extra opcodes of the Apollo core, it would be trivial to translate those into opcodes of the underlying cpu (ie.. AMMX->MMX/SSE etc...). You wouldn't even need to launch Workbench as long as the native OS knew how to handle double-clicks on .info files...

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 14:41:42
#18 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

But source code is not available, and it might that it be like Haage & Partner all over, where was impossible obtain the source code lots of individual components. Remember how hard it was for Hyperion to get AmigaOS 3.9 parts.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 10-Aug-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 10-Aug-2018 at 02:42 PM.

number6 
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 14:43:17
#19 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
I don't think they are monitoring forums all day long.

Which is why I said "it's early yet"

Anyway, I'm sure someone emailed them to keep them informed.

OlafS25 
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 14:46:36
#20 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Suing Amigakit? Why?

AmigaOS is owned by Hyperion and certainly all contracts are between Hyperion and the Developers. If Hyperion would be bankrupt officially the developers could ask for the money but there would be not much to get I assume. Also there is (at least here in germany) a chance to go after management and owners if you can prove that they handled something not correct but I do not know belgium laws.

Amigakit (A-eon) has no direct relations to the AmigaOS developers except those where they made contracts.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 10-Aug-2018 at 02:47 PM.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle