Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 142 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 RobertB:  20 mins ago
 Gunnar:  31 mins ago
 OlafS25:  38 mins ago
 pixie:  39 mins ago
 Rob:  53 mins ago
 blmara:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 miggymac:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  4 hrs 30 mins ago
 DWolfman:  4 hrs 40 mins ago
 cncparts:  6 hrs 13 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Hyperion is the end coming
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
PosterThread
NutsAboutAmiga 
Re: Hyperion is the end coming
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 14:04:54
#21 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Is this not about owner ship and assets?

Let's say if AmigaKit heiress the developers, and continues working on AmigaOS, but now calls it something else.

What will Cloanto's reaction be?

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 10-Aug-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 10-Aug-2018 at 02:05 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
simplex 
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 14:16:13
#22 ]
Cult Member

@g01df1sh

The practical effects of bankruptcy are always that some individual or organization with a more realistic appraisal of the assets' value would acquire them at prices well below that Hyperion once claimed was absolutely unacceptable.

See, for instance, what happened to GM and Chrysler back ca. 2010; to Be, Inc., back in the late 90s; to PalmOne and PalmSource; ...

The auto companies are especially interesting as a few years earlier GM had paid Fiat not to acquire the latter, and by ca. 2010 Sergio Marchionne had turned around Fiat to such an extent that he acquired Chrysler at a bargain price.

Be, Inc. turned down a buyout offer because it wasn't high enough; eventually they sold themselves to Palm for a fraction of the price, but Palm's executives were too incompetent to do anything with what they'd just bought.

Indeed, in what was quite possibly the stupidest example I have ever seen of shooting oneself in the foot, PalmOne refused to buy PalmSource's PalmOS 6, declaring that they would develop their own OS based on the Linux kernel. The whole point of spinning off PalmSource had been to buy the resulting OS and have PalmSource sell it to others, as well! Both PalmSource and PalmOne were memories within 5 years.

Were I you, I'd hope that the eventual owners realize the practical value of AmigaOS is vanishingly small, certainly small enough that financing paid developers is impractical, and act accordingly.

OlafS25 
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 14:22:03
#23 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

if a company goes bankrupt you normally get a liquidator assigned by court who tries to sell everything to get as much money as possible. So someone might buy the assets and continue with amigaos but that depends what assets Hyperion really holds.

Depending on the outcome both 3.X and 4.X would be dead... For most users today would not change much except that they are faced with reality (no future wonder versions running on new hardware)

Amigakit could only continue if they would buy the rights to do that. The possible relationships with Cloanto are hard to say but I assume that the current legal dispute is not only based on facts but also big egos and with one ego less perhaps there is a chance for a agreement. But here we are deep in speculations now ;)

Last edited by OlafS25 on 10-Aug-2018 at 02:26 PM.

simplex 
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 14:28:51
#24 ]
Cult Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
Depending on the outcome both 3.X and 4.X would be dead...

I agree with you that this is practically unlikely due to the assets' value, but if someone reverse engineers the system, 3.x and 4.x could carry on.

Sort of like AROS, but we see how much interest there is in that.

Lou 
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 14:40:11
#25 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:
@Lou

But source code is not available, and it might that it be like Haage & Partner all over, where was impossible obtain the source code lots of individual components. Remember how hard it was for Hyperion to get AmigaOS 3.9 parts.

As someone mentioned, the assets would be sold off.
A new owner could then port it to 68K and call it OS5...which would break no laws as all current contracts are regarding 3.x and 4.x ...

Trekiej 
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 15:02:15
#26 ]
Cult Member

For what it is worth, I have been buying software.
This includes, Amiga Forever PE 7, Amiga OS4.1 FE Classic, Amiga OS4.1 FE Sam 460 and Ubuntu Remix and Tower 57.

There is more software I hope to buy this year.

I also have been giving on Patreon.

John 3:16

amigang 
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 15:02:37
#27 ]
Elite Member

I remember before I placed my order for the X1000 I thought what would happen if no more development happened if everything just stopped at this point I bought into the OS4 world (this is back in 2012) would it be still worth buying.

I felt there was enough apps and the os4 had developed to a point where I could enjoy what a top end fast Amiga system would be like and I have, I wish like everyone else things turned out better, back in 2012 there was this mini momentum in OS4 world with larger programs like Timberwolf coming out and I believe blender got an update back then and lot of other apps where announced or got updated that has certainly slowed in the past year and do feel the mini momentum has faded.

I feel Amigakit / A-eon are doing what they can to support the platform, it be nice to know whats happing with all the classic apps they bought rights to (Dvplayer, OctaMED, Aladden 4d,etc) , my guess is there just not enough money or developers interested in working on Amiga stuff when you can make so much more on other platform.

os4 future sure does feel a bit bleak at the moment, I feel Amiga at large has a future the retro scene seem to be getting more intresting, but os4 needs something new being brought to it, I think A1222 has a chance of bringing back the min momentum but I'm unsure without some big apps or changes the market not going to go anywhere long term.

BSzili 
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 15:18:37
#28 ]

@amigakit

Quote:
. Play an old game such as OpenJK and see how easy it is to overrun 256MB hard limit imposed by Picasso96.

Not if you enable texture compression Wait, did the updated R200 even make it into OS4.1FE? I can't even keep track of which features/fixes keep collecting dust, as kas1e said...

Matt3k 
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 16:08:20
#29 ]

Sad state of Amiga land for sure. So many great people in it trying to provide joy in computing.

I love the fact that Trevor has put new options for hardware on the table.

At lease Morphos has been ported to them, and that option is being well development and provides a nice overall user experience imho. So there is that option. Having used both 4.1 and MOS, I actually prefer MOS for my tastes. Just installed 3.11 having not used Morphos for years and it has improved greatly. Everything I wanted to do or needed was right in front of me without needing to download anything (except IRIS email). Scanning, burning disks, listening to music, etc. were all right there after a 3 minute full install. Web browsing with the updated browser was also much better that I expected.

If OS4 is truly in trouble, Morphos could be a great alternative.

outrun1978 
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 16:17:49
#30 ]
Cult Member

@Matt3k

I agree I’ve been nothing but impressed with MorphOS 3.11 since I have installed it on my X5000 I now have a slightly better graphics card to use with it that supports 3D in a Radeon 1650 512MB so am not missing too much of the AmigaOS 4 side of things that can’t be done on MorphOS.

The updated version of Odyssey in MorphOS really helps too

SimplePPC 
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 16:36:28
#31 ]

@g01df1sh

Quote:

g01df1sh wrote:
Hi All

What will happen to Amiga OS4 if Hyperion goes bust from wasting to much time and money on legal crap. Will it get sold or will it just be left to die :(

As managing director i assure you we are not planning to go bancrupt anytime soon :) We have survived a lot the last few years and will continue to defend our rights granted to us by the Settlement Agreement in 2009. No more no less. And yes money is being 'wasted' on legal crap.

I do have to add on a personal level that it is saddening to see the same people who are in public doing things for the 'greater good of Amiga' are in the curtains doing the exact same opposite. Making public parts of a contract altough it has has a non-disclosure paragrap stating only half the facts. Recording conversations, cutting and editing them to make them look worse then they are, trying to put people against one another. And even stating blatant lies. The 'Neuss transcript' is sad example of what some people in the Amiga Community are capable of. It's full of lies and misrepresentations and the 'Amiga Documents' site has now proven to me personaly that it has no intent of being an objective site with objective information. A real pity.

Ask yourself, who gains by doing all this?

Now i can make a statement of all this but to what end ? It only adds fuel to the argument and makes the trolls happy.

I rather spend my time betatesting OS4.x and some other things :)

Matt3k 
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 17:05:45
#32 ]

@outrun1978

I installed MOS 3.11 just for fun, since an old Amiga club buddy gave his Powermac G5 to use. I had to get a X800 Agp card for it, found a cheap flashed card that worked great.

I wasn't seriously going to use it for anything except for a quick test run. Now I'm moving off my souped up classic to it.

Very impressed overall.. May make it my daily driver at this point.

Rob 
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 17:08:00
#33 ]
Elite Member

@K-L

Quote:
Polaris support. Yeah. For what ? I already own a RX 250 (HD 7770) and nothing takes advantage of it (except Spencer).

Polaris is getting supported because SI cards are becoming more and more difficult to source.

All software that uses compositing or Warp3D (if you have the driver) takes advantage of the extra power offered by your R7 250. Spencer isn't the only software that takes advantage of W3D Nova. There is also Amicraft on OS4 Depot

@Thread

Everyone is talking about Hyperion going bankrupt through legal case but this is not the only possible outcome of them losing the case. Part of the claim against them is that they are in breach of the 2009 settlement agreement which would mean all their rights and licenses for Amiga IP and trademarks would revert to Amiga INC (or whatever they call themselves now().

There is also the possibility of them winning the cases which could potentially put them in a stronger position than they are now.

number6 
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 17:26:55
#34 ]
Elite Member

@SimplePPC

Quote:
The 'Neuss transcript' is sad example of (etc.)

It is presented as "meeting notes", not transcript.

Transcript=written record of spoken language

number6 
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 17:51:37
#35 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Regarding the audio recording.

Andreas was kind enough to post about this after mentioning on Amiganews that he was looking into it:

Source

Last edited by number6 on 11-Aug-2018 at 01:32 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 18:27:03
#36 ]
Elite Member

@number6

he mentions though, that he is not convinced, what to think. neither am i, to tell the truth. and im not sure it bothers me , if youd ask. apart of armachair members taking sides in this, i feel it isnt worth to bother this or that way.

simplex 
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 18:37:36
#37 ]
Cult Member

@SimplePPC

Quote:
As managing director i assure you we are not planning to go bancrupt anytime soon :)

Is there anyone who plans to go bankrupt "anytime soon"?

K-L 
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 18:46:59
#38 ]

@Rob

Quote:
Polaris is getting supported because SI cards are becoming more and more difficult to source

Yeah, I know and in my opinion, this is the only reason. I also know what my RX 250 does bring (compositing or Warp3D). My point is : nothing will take advantage of the extra power (except Spencer since on my RX 250 I have to lower a bit the quality).

SI cards will be available for a long time (used, I know). Question what new systems will need Polaris cards ? AmigaOne X5000/20 (the only system you can buy ATM) ? How many are left to be sold ? Other systems (X5000/40 and A1222 are still non existent for those who want to buy one) ?

eliyahu 
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 18:59:20
#39 ]

@simplex

Quote:
Is there anyone who plans to go bankrupt "anytime soon"?

real estate developers who realize they're upside-down on their debt.

-- eliyahu

Spectre660 
Posted on 10-Aug-2018 18:59:30
#40 ]
Elite Member

"640 kB ought to be enough for anybody"

I think that my sam460ex has earned an upgrade from an Rx550 to an Rx560

Last edited by Spectre660 on 10-Aug-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Last edited by Spectre660 on 10-Aug-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Last edited by Spectre660 on 10-Aug-2018 at 07:02 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle