Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 107 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 vox:  20 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 1 min ago
 Maijestro:  2 hrs 14 mins ago
 Hypex:  2 hrs 15 mins ago
 fingus:  2 hrs 37 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  2 hrs 41 mins ago
 Karlos:  2 hrs 55 mins ago
 amigagr:  3 hrs 2 mins ago
 MagicSN:  3 hrs 10 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Commodore not the only ones to have a bumpy ride
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Barana 
Re: Commodore not the only ones to have a bumpy ride
Posted on 16-Sep-2018 7:50:29
#21 ]
Cult Member

@pavlor

Quote:
) Not enough money in research and development. After Tramiel was forced out of Commodore, the company gave rarely above 3 % of sales for R/D (insanely low number for a technology company - eg. it was cca 8 % for IBM and Apple, or even more for other companies).

And the 'LBM' and his sycophant(the money man) at that time till the end raised their 'salaries' from a few hundred thousand dollars to over a million.with dropping sales.
We call that in Australia a Snow Job.
You could call it bleeding C= dry. On purpose.
It was tramiels company and only tramiel knew how to run it.

I serve King Jesus.
What/who do you serve?

Profile     Report this post  
Bugala 
Re: Commodore not the only ones to have a bumpy ride
Posted on 16-Sep-2018 19:38:54
#22 ]
Cult Member

@Asiegel

Not concrete evidence, but i agree with Nikosidis evaluation, at least in Finland. I have the same experience that NES was a big thing, and Sega only small thing.

This is also confirmed by used games shops. I dont really recall seeing much master system games, but I do see loads of NES games on sale.

Similarly, there is big difference between masetr system and mega drive, Mega Drive at least did fair around here, that I actually do know people who had Mega Drive. I dont know any whom I would know to having had Master System.

However, Mega Drives amoutn of games is not even close to amount of NES games for sale.

Also, presence in computer magazines, like the "Pelien vuosikirja" "= Year book of games" had some pages of NES games reviewed in them among the computer ones, but im not sure was there a single Sega game, or at least not many in them.

This all would indicate lower presence of Sega around here.

I was able to find some statistics, which werent entirely reliable however, someone had made study about consoles and computers in Finland.

To that article he had been able to dig some statistics, which arent 100 percent accurate, but should give some idea, and there he mentiones that by 91-92 100 thousand NES had been sold in Finland, and 120 - 150 thousand Amiga 500s, and 200 thousand C64 machines.

Sega is not mentioned there at all, which is probably both to one making study not being able to find any, as well as its significance is not so important compared to NES in here. Since NES was everywhere, especially since you could rent NES games, but not Sega Games. Although to my understanding there were some places, at least in capital city where you could actually rent Sega Games too, but mainly it was NES. At least here in small town, only NES games were available for rent, and I dont remember ever seein Sega games for rent, only NES, in any other place either. This naturally resulted to high sales of NES consoles as well.

All in all, my impression is that in here, NES was beating Sega real bad. And if around 91-92 there were slirhgtly less NES machines than Amigas, then it would probably mean that Amigas were beating Sega by a huge number in here at that period of time still.

Profile     Report this post  
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle