Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 116 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 agami:  13 mins ago
 Seiya:  1 hr 55 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 17 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 27 mins ago
 vox:  3 hrs 32 mins ago
 kolla:  4 hrs 25 mins ago
 mbrantley:  4 hrs 27 mins ago
 pixie:  4 hrs 50 mins ago
 FerruleMedia:  4 hrs 58 mins ago
 amigakit:  5 hrs 11 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Remote desktop
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
nikosidis 
Remote desktop
Posted on 4-Oct-2018 19:02:29
#1 ]
Cult Member

As you might know we have Remote desktop for AROS, AmigaOS 4 and MorphOS.
I made a video of the AROS version here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNrOJNQdODc&feature=youtu.be

What I'm thinking is that this is something that could maybe be improved appon and
made even more nice.
Little like FriendOS would it be possible to make a online solution where you could have
some kind of subscription where you could run Chrome web-browser, Gimp, Office solution and other programs under Linux.
I know the solution will never be like native or the perfect solution but at least it is a way around
to get a more up to date software base.

Profile     Report this post  
ASiegel 
Re: Remote desktop
Posted on 4-Oct-2018 19:41:07
#2 ]

@nikosidis

Using remote control software to fill essential software needs is "giving up", I am afraid.

There are also serious issues with regard to bandwidth, latency and general connectivity requirements. If you "just" use Linux applications, running those locally seems like a much better approach. Some AROS distributions already allow you to do just that. There are serious issues with that as well but at least you can use locally run Linux apps while you are on a train or on airplane where fast low-latency internet connections are hard to find.

nikosidis 
Posted on 4-Oct-2018 20:57:43
#3 ]
Cult Member

@ASiegel

You are right, but the part about latency I think can be almost perfect with good bandwidth and a good gfx-card.
With Nvidia Shield you can play advanced 3D games with GForce Now.

Last edited by nikosidis on 04-Oct-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Last edited by nikosidis on 04-Oct-2018 at 08:59 PM.

rzookol 
Posted on 4-Oct-2018 23:20:02
#4 ]

@nikosidis

A you might know I updated RDesktop for MorphOS fixing audio and adding local drive mounting on PC side and sources are available on MorphOS homepage (rdesktop is GPL). Noone did a port from these sources so I assume noone uses it on Aros (except You :) )

ASiegel 
Posted on 5-Oct-2018 9:06:09
#5 ]

@nikosidis

Quote:
You are right, but the part about latency I think can be almost perfect with good bandwidth and a good gfx-card. With Nvidia Shield you can play advanced 3D games with GForce Now.

You really need to read Nvidia's stated internet connection requirements. They say you should use the service via "residential area internet connections", i.e. a dedicated wired internet service that you access via ethernet cable or 5 Ghz wi-fi. (They specifically mention 5 Ghz here.)

They specifically do not mention mobile (or publicly shared) internet connections, which is what I was referring to. They do not provide the type of consistent connection you need for this type of service.

Apart from this, games actually degrade better when you have internet speed issues. Most gamers will barely notice when a 3D shooter downgrades from a 1080P to a 720P resolution for a while. But if you resample the resolution of a desktop application from 1080P to 720P, it can literally make it unusable.

Also, while this may sound unintuitive, desktop applications can be easily as demanding with regard to latency as 3D games. If you are a fast typer, writing a simple letter in Microsoft Word via remote connection can be quite annoying unless you have a consistently fast internet connection.

monstercoder 
Posted on 5-Oct-2018 10:41:14
#6 ]

Is there any reasons to run aros at all??
With my vampire i can run thousand of software titles and if i really wanted i could use rdesktop too.
But with Aros there is almost no software at all, it all seems to be about running uae or rdesktop.

terminills 
Posted on 5-Oct-2018 11:44:58
#7 ]
AROS Core Developer

@monstercoder

~chuckles~ I remember the same thing being said about linux back in the 90's. :D Not that I'm claiming AROS will ever be at the level of Linux I just find it funny.

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

monstercoder 
Posted on 5-Oct-2018 12:28:32
#8 ]

@terminills

But it's not funny...
Aros and linux is at about the same age but all the good applications are for linux. Aros have nothing and has to use rdesktop or uae to let the users do more than click on a desktop.
Do you believe that it will change in the future?

nikosidis 
Posted on 5-Oct-2018 12:35:55
#9 ]
Cult Member

@monstercoder

What are you talking about.

There are lots of software for AROS.

We have the best and fastest web-browser in amigaworld.

There are lot's of games. Lot's of emulators. Many audio programs for tracking, editing and even HD recording. There are gfx programs for drawing, editing etc. PDF viewers, DOpus 4 or Megallan.
MPlayer - that plays almost any format and can be faster than any other amiga platform.

You can always do Amiga 68k emulation too. Much faster than any Vampire but sure Vampire will be more compatible and you can run everything out of the box.

What programs are you looking for?

ASiegel 
Posted on 5-Oct-2018 12:46:40
#10 ]

@nikosidis

Quote:
We have the best (...) web-browser in amigaworld.

That is certainly debatable.

I know for a fact that Odyssey on AROS does not properly display certain web pages that look just perfect with a 2018 version of Odyssey on MorphOS.

Also, based on forum posts, AROS-Odyssey has audio and video synchronization issues on websites such as YouTube, for instance.

terminills 
Posted on 5-Oct-2018 12:58:35
#11 ]
AROS Core Developer

@monstercoder

No I don't. I think all Amiga like OSes will die a slow painful death. However I'll continue to enjoy what I like and I find it foolish for someone to say "Why should I use X when there is no Y". Plain and simple fact a modern cell phone has more applications than any Amiga OS or derivative.

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

monstercoder 
Posted on 5-Oct-2018 13:04:51
#12 ]

@nikosidis

I'm talking about worth while programs ofcourse.
I'm talking about that the software is crappy on aros.
Most people don't care that you have quake1-3 ported over to aros, thats not the game anyone wants to play today.
We dont care if you can watch some downloaded movie with mplayer, nowdays movies are streamed.
Do people even install media players on their computers anymore? Both music and movies are streamed today.
We don't care if you can browse amigaworld, most people wants to visit other sites.
It's totally worthless to use a browser that will not work everywhere.

The vampire can do all of this crappy stuff that aros can do but thats not the strenght of it, it's usefull because it's a fun computer to do ASM coding on and it runs all the classic software native without being emulated.
If i want to run emulation i use winuae, thats really good stuff but nothing beats loading up the shell and start coding on the real thing and have the laptop sitting next to it and do some music streaming from spotify etc.

The laptop can run Linux or Windows, who cares? it's just there to help me, not to limit me as the aros operating system do.

nikosidis 
Posted on 5-Oct-2018 13:42:40
#13 ]
Cult Member

@monstercoder

Why you say software on AROS is crappy? There are lot's of good software for AROS.

We don't care? Who are you to choose what people use or like.

I don't give a shit about what you like. I get lot's of possitive feedback.

Try a web-browser on Vampire. Try to emulate PS1, MAME or almost anything else, try to play a video in true color. Try to play a 3D game or use 3D software. It will be so crap that it is totaly useless, but good luck.

Don't compare Vampire to NG system like AROS. It is nothing like that.

Siegel: You are right about the video, audio part in Odyssey on AROS but as far as I know the update to MorphOS version where first of all the updates and bugfixes Deadwood did for AROS version. I'm also confident that the speed of the web browser on other platforms is not like AROS version. Java-script etc.

Could you name one of the pages that AROS does not display like MorphOS version?

Last edited by nikosidis on 05-Oct-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Last edited by nikosidis on 05-Oct-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Last edited by nikosidis on 05-Oct-2018 at 01:51 PM.
Last edited by nikosidis on 05-Oct-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Last edited by nikosidis on 05-Oct-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Last edited by nikosidis on 05-Oct-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Last edited by nikosidis on 05-Oct-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Last edited by nikosidis on 05-Oct-2018 at 01:45 PM.

ASiegel 
Posted on 5-Oct-2018 14:10:49
#14 ]

@nikosidis

Quote:
You are right about the video, audio part in Odyssey on AROS but as far as I know the update to MorphOS version where first of all the updates and bugfixes Deadwood did for AROS version.

No, you might be thinking of the version of Odyssey that was included with MorphOS 3.10. The subsequent release of MorphOS 3.11 featured a big update that greatly improved compatibility with modern web standards. You can read about it here: morphos.de/releasenotes/3.11 (You need to scroll down to the Odyssey section.)

monstercoder 
Posted on 5-Oct-2018 14:26:34
#15 ]

@nikosidis

My philosophy is simple - be the best you can be.
And the vampire is the best at being amiga (and will be even better with the standalone).
Where is aros the best?
I see it as just an limiting toy with boring ports that can be used so much better on other platforms, or do you know any aros exclusive software that is worth mentioning?
There is some nice ammx enhanced software comming to the vampire but it's not really needed or worth mentioning, just an extra bonus.

nikosidis 
Posted on 5-Oct-2018 15:31:33
#16 ]
Cult Member

@monstercoder

AROS is no less good than any other OS in many things. Emulators, SDL ports of GraphX 2, Milkytracker, many games and more.
We have ZuneView that is a great native image viewer with thumbnail support, editing and effects. We have other apps. like DOpus Megellan and first of all the great Amiga like OS that is nice and easy to use. With powerfull hardware and SSD Amiga like OS is a joy to use and what I prefer compared to other operative systems.

The use is not so limited. It is hell of a lot to play with if you like. To me it is much more easy to use Amiga 68k emulator in AROS than in Android or Linux where it is to me a hell to configure and install games or roms.

If you like Amiga 68k programs that require some CPU power, Vampire is far from the best you can be. It is way slow compared to emulated on a mothern PC.

ASiegel: I did not know about that update. Does that bring inn all Google services for MorphOS like Google docs. And does it work perfect?

Last edited by nikosidis on 05-Oct-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Last edited by nikosidis on 05-Oct-2018 at 03:32 PM.

ASiegel 
Posted on 5-Oct-2018 15:52:35
#17 ]

@nikosidis

Quote:
I did not know about that update. Does that bring inn all Google services for MorphOS like Google docs. And does it work perfect?

I have not tested every single feature Google provide so I can hardly confirm whether something works "perfectly". Claiming otherwise would be quite presumptuous.

When I last ran it in early August, the core functionality of Google Docs seemed to work fine at least.

nikosidis 
Posted on 5-Oct-2018 16:24:51
#18 ]
Cult Member

@ASiegel

Good to hear :) Google Docs was first of all what I was thinking of.

Last edited by nikosidis on 05-Oct-2018 at 04:25 PM.

nikosidis 
Posted on 5-Oct-2018 16:30:40
#19 ]
Cult Member

@rzookol

Thx :) Good to know. Audio support would be nice also in AROS version.

Last edited by nikosidis on 05-Oct-2018 at 04:31 PM.

terminills 
Posted on 5-Oct-2018 18:34:43
#20 ]
AROS Core Developer

@monstercoder

Okay you do realize that AROS is SOFTWARE and the Vampire is HARDWARE right? Seriously since you seem to confuse them your opinion holds zero water. =\

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle