Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
33 crawler(s) on-line.
 84 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 agami:  25 mins ago
 miggymac:  43 mins ago
 Dragster:  53 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  2 hrs 29 mins ago
 matthey:  4 hrs 35 mins ago
 kolla:  5 hrs 20 mins ago
 rzookol:  6 hrs 6 mins ago
 Rob:  6 hrs 48 mins ago
 Lazi:  6 hrs 56 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Poseidon under OS4.1FE and X5000
Register To Post

PosterThread
Acill 
Poseidon under OS4.1FE and X5000
Posted on 17-Oct-2018 21:58:03
#1 ]

With MorphOS on the X5000 its got me thinking after doing some testing with USB keyboards I have and cant get working well or even at all on 4.1FE on my X5000 but work fine under MorphOS and the Poseidon USB stack it uses. One keyboard in particular is a nice plain Cherry MX with no fancy MM keys or anything. Its just a simple standard keyboard. It works 100% n MorphOS. On OS4.1 it mostly works but it causes some strange issue with the mouse when this keyboard is in use. Its as if I have the left button clicked and held. It draws selection boxes as you move and selects icones and suck. This isnt with only one mouse, its with any mouse i try. It doesnt do this on MorphOS.

I know in OS4.1FE Classic I can install Poseidon, but can you do it under OS4.1FE on the X5000 and if so will it detect the USB hardware? Does a device driver exist for the X5000 hardware that works on 4.1? If so can I disable the built in stack somehow?

I am asking this because of all the keyboards I have the only one working with enough trouble free use is a old crappy HP thateven at times I need to remove and plug in again to get it responding proplerly.

Profile     Report this post  
Trixie 
Re: Poseidon under OS4.1FE and X5000
Posted on 17-Oct-2018 22:04:25
#2 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Acill

Quote:
of all the keyboards I have the only one working with enough trouble free use is a old crappy HP thateven at times I need to remove and plug in again to get it responding proplerly.

Logitech keyboards always worked well for me (Sam440ep, Sam440ep-Flex, X5000).

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

Acill 
Posted on 17-Oct-2018 22:15:45
#3 ]

@Trixie

I hear they do, but I would really like to get a good keyboard with Cherry MX switches in it working. Do any exist? I am getting sick of moving keyboards back and forth and them being so personal using the one that I feel best at typing on is key. I'd even go as far as getting Logitech’s G610 if I can get word its tested and working okay. My Corsair crashes 4.1FE and the Generic MX keyboard has that mouse issue I mentioned.

Back to the question at hand, does Poseidon work with OS4.1FE at all on the X5000?

Last edited by Acill on 17-Oct-2018 at 10:18 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 17-Oct-2018 22:22:14
#4 ]
Elite Member

@Acill

i dont think so. you need device drivers for your usb hardware. there are poseidon 68k device drivers supplied by vendors for their amiga hardware, which makes it possible to use them under emulation on os4, albeit without dma, as far as i remember.
on the other hand aros and morphos have their own device drivers respectively open or closed source, but i doubt there is drivers for os4 ppc hardware, especially that os4 employs different mechanisms for library interfaces as far as im informed.

rzookol 
Posted on 18-Oct-2018 0:17:15
#5 ]

@wawa

Someone with OS4 can try ArakAttack with some nec usb pci card. It may work as it supports openpci.

Acill 
Posted on 18-Oct-2018 1:01:57
#6 ]

@rzookol

Thats an idea. I have an Amiga compatible NEC USB card as well as an Elbox Spider I can try.

outrun1978 
Posted on 18-Oct-2018 6:04:18
#7 ]
Cult Member

@Acill

I find with OS4 it’s best to have the keyboard and mouse in the lowest two USB ports from the top, on the back on the X5000. I am using a Ducky Zero DK2108 model and that new usb mouse from Amigakit with the Amiga tick logo.

If I plug these items into a USB hub then I can experience a few issues like the mouse not moving or unable to use the keyboard which only resolved itself once I unplug and then plug back in again. This doesn’t seem to occur under MorphOS.

However I do find the Poseidon stack under MorphOS a little less compatible with some of my own perhipherals compared to OS4. Yes you can run things like official Xbox One controllers in MorphOS but I find my Logitech F310 doesn’t work, my IPhone 8 isn’t recognised and can’t transfer any photos off it even when I try to bind it to the ptp.class. Some 3rd party Xbox 360 controllers also refuse to work either.

nikosidis 
Posted on 18-Oct-2018 7:58:44
#8 ]
Cult Member

With Poseidon on AROS I never found a keyboard, mouse wired or wireless that did not work.

Last edited by nikosidis on 18-Oct-2018 at 08:06 AM.

wawa 
Posted on 18-Oct-2018 8:41:03
#9 ]
Elite Member

@nikosidis

neither i can recall anything i had a problem with poseidon on my a4000, but then i used a genuine amiga keyboard, wasnt constantly swapping mouses and other than that used it actually almost exclusively for mass storage. but this was really working great, fast and very stable.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle