Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 156 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  37 mins ago
 DWolfman:  46 mins ago
 cncparts:  2 hrs 19 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  3 hrs 6 mins ago
 Beajar:  3 hrs 25 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 27 mins ago
 agami:  4 hrs 31 mins ago
 RobertB:  4 hrs 50 mins ago
 OlafS25:  5 hrs 40 mins ago
 Bruce72:  5 hrs 42 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Gaming
      /  Spencer now out on the Nintendo Switch
Register To Post

PosterThread
BigD 
Spencer now out on the Nintendo Switch
Posted on 19-Oct-2018 15:38:15
#1 ]
Elite Member

The platformer Spencer is now out on the Nintendo Switch. I guess the huge success it achieved on the AmigaOne platform gave them reason to role it out to other platforms? That or they are trying to recoup the cost of development

https://ticgamesnetwork.com/reviews/review-spencer-switch/

... either way I'll stick to Sonic Mania and look forward to buying Cuphead shortly Although my Mac is a let down for games (and will worsen now that Apple have officially given upon OpenGL/OpenCL etc ) at least I can dual boot into Windows for games and Steam/GoG etc.

Last edited by BigD on 19-Oct-2018 at 03:38 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
outrun1978 
Re: Spencer now out on the Nintendo Switch
Posted on 19-Oct-2018 15:50:03
#2 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

Its also available on the Xbox One Store. Entwickler-X release on other platforms anyway as a way to subsidize development for the platform we love the most and have done for a while.

Having seen the demo on Xbox One, i think it only goes to demonstrate just how good the AmigaOS version really is and what Warp3D Nova can be capable of.

With Spencer and Tower 57 being released this year and both of these games playing really well on the AmigaOne machines, i think it goes to show that given the right types of game, the Amiga can still have some relevance as a games platform.

Sadly the problem is convincing other users to see what is going on and ultimately jump on board....

BigD 
Posted on 19-Oct-2018 16:05:46
#3 ]
Elite Member

@outrun1978

Nice sentiment, but although Tower57 is awesome Spencer is hardly a killer app IMHO. Just as 'Tales from Heaven' was technical impressive but not the Mario 64 killer the Amiga needed in 1998!

outrun1978 
Posted on 19-Oct-2018 16:23:45
#4 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

You're right Spencer isn't a killer app, its just a simplistic pick up and play in a similar way to what Rainbow Islands was back in the day, but there still is a market for these type of games, personally when i play a lot of Xbox One games, i don't want to be spending 30 minutes running through some crappy video tutorial either, which a lot of games now seem to be like.

Spencer is simply eye candy and for those used to an old fashioned view of what Amiga gaming looked like, it will turn heads or at least change perceptions of the Amiga. The sad thing is that people who may buy the Switch or Xbox One versions may not actually realise this came out on AmigaOS first, but in Amiga world we kind of rely on word of mouth for a lot of things.

Hopefully they get some sales on the other platforms to subsidize some more Warp3D Nova goodies.

BigD 
Posted on 19-Oct-2018 16:32:17
#5 ]
Elite Member

@outrun1978

Really, you compare this to Rainbow Islands? Does it have the playability, catchy music, great boss battles etc to warrant that comparison? Are you just saying that because it is cute?

Versus

BigD 
Posted on 19-Oct-2018 16:36:46
#6 ]
Elite Member

I mean yes great shadows and modelling but personality, characters and a memorable game? Is it? Any deficiencies can be forgiven if the playability is great but the Switch review says the following:

Quote:
Spencer is a very run-of-the-mill type of platformer. You have to find a number of coins in a compact maze-like level before searching for the exit. There are 16 levels in each of the 5 worlds, and no level will take longer than two minutes to beat. I managed to get through the game in about an hour and a half. It can be a little enjoyable to move around and collect things, and the game gives you abilities like a double jump, a punch, and collectible power-ups like invisibility to work with. It’s not a game that’ll blow your socks off but I do think the game could pass off as a tolerable casual title.

The revamped Superfrog also got bad reviews for level design (which I love in the original) so it's not a given they are right but I'm just saying Rainbow Islands is a high bar for quality (age of game aside).

Last edited by BigD on 19-Oct-2018 at 04:37 PM.

imagodespira 
Posted on 19-Oct-2018 16:38:50
#7 ]

The releases of our games for the other platforms (xbox, Steam, Switch) are very important for us.
This year, we had to focus on these platforms. So not much AmigaOS news from us.

But with Spencer, our engine (inclusive 3D part) is now ported to our supported platforms and we can now go forward.

Spencer was our first 3D game, so the reviews may not as good than we want (we are learning with every project, step by step) :) Supporting 3D was a big thing for us. The whole engine was built from scretch and in my part (graphics and levels) i had to find ways to bring it to a final game.

I started to work with Blender around 2 years ago. Before i just knew Cinema4D ;) It was very hard and a time wasting experience. So the graphics style had to be simple (need much enemies, Spencer, animations, levels...). Building the Levels was also not easy. We needed 80 Levels, 30minutes for each (if nothing goes wrong) ... another time waster.

You see, it is a big task for only two people. Our focus in every project is to finish it. So we have to be careful how big a game should be...

Here some work in progress images of two new projects. Our plan is to bring it to AmigaOS. But as there are many more polygons and maybe effects, it may another big task to get good framerates :) Next releases will be Warp3D Nova only, we have to go a bit forward...

imagodespira 
Posted on 19-Oct-2018 16:44:28
#8 ]

@BigD

Quote:
Really, you compare this to Rainbow Islands? Does it have the playability, catchy music, great boss battles etc to warrant that comparison? Are you just saying that because it is cute?

The closest gameplay is "Quak" from Team17 on Amiga. Collecting items, enemies captured within these items etc.

Our first 3D game had to be so simple (see my other post). And we know that is not a killer app but it is not easy for us to make it and we have room for improvement in future. But it needs time we only can go step by step (if not, we never had released a game... see much other devs and prototype which are not finished). Knowing our skills and bounds is imporant to make games, they may not be perfect but with every project we try to get a little bit more (learning for better skills, gameplay, technics).

regards,
Thomas

imagodespira 
Posted on 19-Oct-2018 16:45:55
#9 ]

@BigD

... would be nice to see a game from you. Maybe you get a better result :) Just start doing, as we did it some day ago... also without knowing before how to make games.

outrun1978 
Posted on 19-Oct-2018 16:48:24
#10 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

Ok, Spencer is missing end of level bosses that you find Rainbow Islands, but Spencer's tune is repetitive, hummable and sticks in your head in the same way Rainbow Islands does, Spencer does all sorts of weird noises and there are some cool effects so this is some ways this is kind of an improvement.

Gameplay wise there are some definite similarities, both games have repetitive type levels, With Spencer when you collect all the special (S) disks and activate Ghost time, it is similar to ending a level on Rainbow Islands where you collect the extras.

There is quite a lot of bouncing to climb up and reach different platforms which this shares with Rainbow Islands, so yes I think there is some comparison.

Rainbow Islands was and still is a classic of its time and was very much considered eye-candy across the Amiga, Atari ST and C64 formats when it was released such was the quality of the game. Spencer is very much eye candy of the AmigaOne era.

outrun1978 
Posted on 19-Oct-2018 17:02:19
#11 ]
Cult Member

@imagodespira

I've never played Qwak before but its handy to know the inspiration, I will check this out later on today and well done on Spencer, I know from showing it off to non-Amiga users they have been quite impressed with it.

Great screenshots of the new projects too, the 3D isometric one looks quite interesting as they have a JRPG look about them

Lou 
Posted on 19-Oct-2018 17:09:41
#12 ]
Elite Member

@imagodespira

My hat is off to you, sir! Congrats!
Hopefully you enjoy some sales success and can grow your team and eventually re-invest in the Amiga community at some point!

Rob 
Posted on 19-Oct-2018 17:37:30
#13 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
I guess the huge success it achieved on the AmigaOne platform gave them reason to role it out to other platforms?

It the opposite really. They need to develope for other platforms in order to be able to work on games full time.

@outrun1978

Quote:
I've never played Qwak before but its handy to know the inspiration

Qwak is a real gem. I'd love to see the PC version appear on OS4, the gameplay and pace is quite insane.

http://www.qwak.co.uk/

Jamie also did the code from Team17's ATR and I think he may also retain the rights to that.

kyle 
Posted on 19-Oct-2018 18:24:34
#14 ]
Cult Member

@imagodespira

The first of your new project is Ugh in 3D

BigD 
Posted on 19-Oct-2018 22:06:35
#15 ]
Elite Member

@imagodespira

Quote:
... would be nice to see a game from you. Maybe you get a better result :) Just start doing, as we did it some day ago... also without knowing before how to make games.

Not knocking you or your efforts but you'd be the first to admit the team at Taito did not create the classic Rainbow Islands on their first try! Nor did they have to prioritise new tech and learning new software techniques over old fashioned game design.

I like Deluxe Paint and have dabbled with Blitz Basic 2 but no I could not achieve what you have. It is just unfortunate that there have been two recent platform games; Sonic Mania and Cuphead, that have caught my eye as killer apps. Spencer is not on the same level but is an impressive achievement none the less. Thank you for your work.

SinanG 
Posted on 26-Oct-2018 21:32:22
#16 ]

@imagodespira

Great to see Spencer on new consoles. I will buy another copy soon.

By the way, Spencer stalls after title screen when run on A1222.

I also tried with new ReadonHd drivers and Warp3D Nova with SPE support enabled.

I can help with finding the problem if you wish.

Thanks.

Amiga A1222 2GB Radeon RX 550
Sam 460 2GB RadeonRX 550

Epsilon 
Posted on 27-Oct-2018 2:17:43
#17 ]

@imagodespira

I bought Spencer first for my AmigaOne X1000 when it was released and really enjoyed playing it. Thanks for writing it.

I also recently bought Spencer for the Nintendo Switch, mainly to support your ongoing development efforts. When I played it on the switch it made me realise just how good the AmigaOS4 version really is. Both versions look and play (in my mind) almost identically. No offense but I'll keep playing the AmigaOS4 version, now on my new X5000!

It is nice to know that with the new Warp3D Nova functionality and modern graphics card support being used in games for AmigaOS4, we can have truly new modern games on AmigaOne. For that I am really grateful.

I really want to see more games for AmigaOS4 using Warp3D Nova!

I am also glad to see the screenshots of your upcoming game - can't wait to try it on AmigaOS4.

I have seen and played many of Entwickler-X's games on AmigaOS4 over many years (and all covered in my blog). They have continued to develop for AmigaOS4 throughout my ownership of my X1000 starting in 2012 - Swamp Defense 1 and 2, Balance Blox, Tap Jewels, Bubble Shooter DX, Quartet, MACE, and many more.

Thanks for supporting AmigaOS4 and keeping new games coming to our NG Amiga platform in 2018 and beyond.

Catcha,
Epsilon

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle