Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 89 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  19 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 kiFla:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 46 mins ago
 kriz:  2 hrs 15 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  2 hrs 23 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 38 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 49 mins ago
 Karlos:  2 hrs 50 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Video problem Amiga 500 Rev.5
Register To Post

PosterThread
Orion 
Video problem Amiga 500 Rev.5
Posted on 20-Oct-2018 4:11:59
#1 ]

Using workbench 1.3 Super Dinise. Workbench video is good. When I try to play some Amiga games I get diagonal lines across the screen games like F117 or Dugeon Master or any type of game like that. I have tried different monitors but no difference. Any suggestions would sure help.

Alan

alanhooper@yourlink.ca

Profile     Report this post  
Arnie 
Re: Video problem Amiga 500 Rev.5
Posted on 20-Oct-2018 9:58:54
#2 ]
Cult Member

@Orion

The first thing to try is to re-seat all the chips in sockets Denise being the main one for graphics, it is even worth cleaning them with IPA but do take cautions against static as you don't want to zap them. If your A500 has a battery on a memory expansion then that will have leaked by now and will need removing immediately again cleaning the effected area with IPA.

Edit. When I say IPA please use Isopropyl alcohol don't use Indian Pale Ale.

Last edited by Arnie on 20-Oct-2018 at 10:06 AM.

BigD 
Posted on 20-Oct-2018 10:56:26
#3 ]
Elite Member

@Orion

Have you tried switching it on and off again?

Seriously though that sounds annoying. Resetting the chips is a good start. At least the custom chips were quite hardy and didn't overheat like modern GPU chips

Orion 
Posted on 20-Oct-2018 18:34:54
#4 ]

@Arnie

Thanks for the reply, I have had all the custom chips out and cleaned all the pins to no avail.
II last used this computer in 1995, I decided to dig it out and fire it up. It fired right up, I was amazed
It has a 500 Meg HD and all my old games were still there and all worked. I replaced the clock battery
with a lithium 3 volt cell and that all works well, but I still have this video problem .

Orion 
Posted on 20-Oct-2018 18:36:30
#5 ]

@BigD

Thanks for the reply, I have had all the custom chips out and cleaned all the pins to no avail.
II last used this computer in 1995, I decided to dig it out and fire it up. It fired right up, I was amazed
It has a 500 Meg HD and all my old games were still there and all worked. I replaced the clock battery
with a lithium 3 volt cell and that all works well, but I still have this video problem .

scuzz 
Posted on 22-Oct-2018 0:13:22
#6 ]

@Orion

Can you give more detail on the hard drive. Internal , external and type. How is it mounted. What if any board is in the machine etc etc. Often it is a case of stripping the machine back to basics and seeing if something else is causing the problem. What monitors are you using, how are you connecting. Also have you checked the compatibility of the games. Sometimes they need a little tweeking. Also they may have been set up to run on a certain monitor. What monitor did you use to have and how was that set up.

Sounds like a dodgy modulator connector but I don't know how you are connecting to a monitor or TV.

PS I really wouldn't mess around too much with chips and the like cus you may damage tracks and joints and the like. Best to focus on the things you know and works backwards. I would be checking video connectors and peripherals, cables etc. For example there may be a loose wire in the actual connector that plugs into the port. I have a couple of dodgy connectors that can create a similar problem. Also not all monitors will work with certain games.

Just don't have enough information.

scuzz

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle