Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
24 crawler(s) on-line.
 110 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Rob:  15 mins ago
 Maijestro:  24 mins ago
 Rudei:  37 mins ago
 OlafS25:  37 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 AndreasM:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 clint:  2 hrs 39 mins ago
 kiFla:  2 hrs 54 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 7 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga 2000 Plus video toaster
Register To Post

PosterThread
Draiman 
Amiga 2000 Plus video toaster
Posted on 7-Nov-2018 18:17:24
#1 ]

Hi guys,

Recently my father past away, and while cleaning his home out, I discovered he had an old Amiga 2000, Commadore 1084S Monitor, and some boxes for a program called video toaster. I was able to plug everything in and get a screen asking for disk, which I believe is for the workbench 2.0. This is something I have not found while cleaning.

So I figure I'd reach out to the Amiga community and try to determine if there is a way to get or make these disks. I'm a highly technical person, I just know more about modern PCs. Otherwise If it's too complicated or expensive, I may just consider selling the unit.

Let me know your thoughts

Thanks

Profile     Report this post  
Anonymous 
Re: Amiga 2000 Plus video toaster
Posted on 7-Nov-2018 18:22:01
# ]

@Draiman

to the nut house

I'm not into classic anymore, but others might be able to help.

Enjoy your stay

Report this post  
terminills 
Posted on 7-Nov-2018 19:54:14
#3 ]
AROS Core Developer

@Draiman

Make your life easier get one of these.

http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emulator/

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

g01df1sh 
Posted on 7-Nov-2018 21:34:23
#4 ]

Hi

This should be what your after. Hope you can get it working and relive what your dad did. Its true Amiga never dies.

http://amigakit.amiga.store/product_info.php?products_id=1237

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

Draiman 
Posted on 8-Nov-2018 4:43:48
#5 ]

@terminills

I'll definitely look into this, as one of the floppy disk drives has a broken eject button.

@g01df1sh

This is what I'm looking for and not too expensive. I'm not sure what he used this Amiga for, but looking inside there are 2 HDDs, a 120MB Maxtor, and Something called a Plus Hardcard 20, I'd like to see if has anything on it.

Last edited by Draiman on 08-Nov-2018 at 04:59 AM.

klx300r 
Posted on 8-Nov-2018 5:38:54
#6 ]
Elite Member

@Draiman

First and foremost I want to apologize for the lack of common courtesy shown by my fellow amigans on this thread and offer you condolences for the recent loss of your father.

secondly, welcome aboard Let us know how it goes once you get a hold of the Workbench 2.0 disks and if you get stuck anywhere just ask here & I'm sure you'll get the help you need

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

g01df1sh 
Posted on 8-Nov-2018 9:15:56
#7 ]

Lets hope the workbench disks get you up and running and you find some nice stuff to remember your farther by you never know you may even appear in a video file when you was younger. Sorry for your loss and remember gone but never forgotten.

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

Trekiej 
Posted on 9-Nov-2018 1:29:10
#8 ]
Cult Member

@Draiman

Good luck, I hope you get it running again.

John 3:16

AmigaHope 
Posted on 9-Nov-2018 3:19:23
#9 ]

@Draiman

Given that it has a Video Toaster in it (which while a breakthrough in video effects affordability at the time, was still not a cheap purchase), he probably used it for video editing. Note that the Video Toaster itself was only used for live editing, not storage -- for digital video editing you'd need an NLE card in the system (like the Newtek Flyer, VLab Motion, or DPS Personal Animation Recorder), so if there isn't one you likely won't find much in the way of video files on it. (Also if he did have one it would really need a bigger hard drive than 150 megabyes). Are you sure those were the only drives in the system?

So most likely any work he did with it would be stored on video tape using editing decks, you might want to look around for maybe some semi-pro or professional SVHS or Betacam gear and tapes around where he used it. If he had a frame-recording deck he might have built some 3D animations using it and you could find the 3D animations on the system.

The Hardcard 20 is not an Amiga card, it's an OLD ISA 20 megabyte hard-drive-on-card. The Amiga 2000 does have ISA slots (in-line with the native Amiga Zorro slots) that were used either as a simple power bus, or you could stick an IBM-compatible PC-on-a-card in them (called a "Bridgeboard") and it could then use the other ISA slots for expansion. One of the cards in your system is probably a bridgeboard with an 8088, 80286, or 386SLC on it, and it used the Hardcard 20 for storage.

Any Amiga-specific hardware in the system will probably be identifiable and listed on one of these two sites which document pretty much ALL Amiga hardware that was ever released:

http://amiga.resource.cx/

http://www.bigbookofamigahardware.com/

The fact that when you turn the system on it asks for a Workbench disk means something is probably wrong, as it would normally be configured to boot from the hard drive. That 150 megabyte hard drive is probably connected to a controller like an A2091 SCSI controller (the most common at the time). It should automatically configure on the bus and then boot from it without user intervention.

Try holding down both mouse buttons when you turn the machine on, it should kick you into an early boot menu. Since you seem to be running AmigaOS 2.0 ROMs it won't have the card diagnostic feature, but the advanced options should show all detected boot devices. If the only ones you see are DF0, DF1, etc. then it's not seeing a bootable hard disk partition, just the floppy drive (DF stands for Disk, Floppy).

Amiga floppy disks use a different track layout than MS-DOS/Windows floppies, and Amigas have a programmable MFM floppy controller built into the Paula chip. The floppy controllers built into Windows systems, USB floppy drives, etc. are not programmable and are hardwired to the MS-DOS track layout, so you will not be able to produce Amiga floppies using your Windows machine without a programmable floppy controller like the Catweasel or Supercard. That's why people have suggested that you get a Gotek floppy emulator since then you can just load floppy images from flash. (Note that the Amiga's floppy controller is programmable, so it *CAN* read and write MS-DOS-formatted disks to get data on and off, though your A2000 probably only has double-density floppy drives so you can't use high density floppies)

Anyway once you get your system booted, whether from (emulated) floppy or hard disk, you'll want to run some diagnostics to list all of the detected expansion cards, storage devices, etc. There are a lot of good utilities for this which can provide tons of detail, but a simple easy-to-use one is Sysinfo (can easily be downloaded online) which will at least let you see all configured hardware in your system on the expansion bus, etc. If a board is not showing up for some reason, then something is wrong.

If the drive is showing up but partitions are not, you can use HDToolbox (comes with the OS) to look at the drive layout but be careful not to perform any operations in it as you could easily accidentally overwrite stuff that's on it.

If all else fails, a Linux system with the appropriate kernel drivers and interface hardware can read Amiga filesystems off the hard disk to get the data off (Amiga hard disks use the RDB partition standard -- NOT the MBR/GPT standard that Windows uses). If you have RDB support and Amiga OFS/FFS filesystem drivers in the Linux kernel it should be able to read the data off the drive.

Whereabouts are you located, physically? There might be a nearby Amigan who could help you out with this.

Last edited by AmigaHope on 09-Nov-2018 at 03:23 AM.

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 9-Nov-2018 5:43:35
#10 ]
Elite Member

@Draiman

Depending on your system specs and the software you need for the Video Toaster portions can be downloaded for free from Open Video Toaster

CD-ROM & Floppy Image

http://discreetfx.com/DownloadToaster.html

Manuals

http://discreetfx.com/Manuals.html

Last edited by DiscreetFX on 28-Mar-2020 at 11:10 AM.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle