Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
22 crawler(s) on-line.
 150 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 miggymac:  17 mins ago
 Gunnar:  45 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 6 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 45 mins ago
 DWolfman:  2 hrs 54 mins ago
 cncparts:  4 hrs 28 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  5 hrs 14 mins ago
 Beajar:  5 hrs 33 mins ago
 Rob:  5 hrs 35 mins ago
 agami:  6 hrs 39 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Something Funny Happened to my Mirco A1
Register To Post

PosterThread
scabit 
Something Funny Happened to my Mirco A1
Posted on 24-Nov-2018 11:28:05
#1 ]

Hi Everyone,

It has been a long time since I have had a chance to post on AmigaWorld.net! Work, too much work, and two additional children since the last time I posted ... life has gotten busy!
About a year ago my oldest son decided to play with my micro A1. He was using the AmiUpdate tool to update the machine, it had been maybe a year or more since I had done any updates. The Amiupdate tool itself also needed to be updated. So he applied these updates and when he tried to reboot the machine, it would show the AmigaOs4.1 final splash screen, and go no further. Was there some sort of problem with the order in which you need to update the tool and the components?
Meanwhile, my Cr2032 battery died so I lost all my UBOOT settings. I replaced the battery yesterday and I am so Thankful that I posted so much detail in my threads in these forums...since I had to restore my Uboot settings and had not written them down since I put in the 3114 SATA controller. Anyway, after looking at some of the old threads here I figured out what UBOOT settings were missing to be able to boot from my SATA 1TB SSD drive and SATA DVD drive.
Now I am back to square one. That is, the partition that my son updated with Amiupdate cannot be booted from. If i copy the system files from my Os4.1 final CD, I hope to be able to get back to a stable point. But is there a trick to the order in which newer (post final) components need to be installed to not get into this problem again?

Thanks!

Scott

Profile     Report this post  
Hypex 
Re: Something Funny Happened to my Mirco A1
Posted on 24-Nov-2018 15:28:04
#2 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Good to see you back. So it's been so long that you've created more life in the meantime? You have been busy.

I'm not aware of any order that was needed. The only problem I recall encountering was AmiUpdate crashing if it failed to update itself. But that would be old by now.

I saved my settings from UBoot Prefs but I think it has a problem restoring settings. I also saved a dump of NVGetVar output. IIRC last time I did a battery swap I accidently left the power on to the mobo with the A1 switched off and I didn't lose my settings.

Try and bring up the early start menu. Check your drives and stuff. Make sure no USB sticks are plugged in. See if it can boot to a shell. If not then a serial cable connected to a terminal will show if it gets stuck somewhere and can be best to catch a rogue Kickstart.

scabit 
Posted on 24-Nov-2018 19:14:19
#3 ]

@Hypex

Looking good.... I commented out my user-startup and was able to boot into my OS4.1FE partition with no problems. Typing this now from my AmigaOne using IBrowse....
I ran Amiupdate and updated three items, OS4.1 FE update 1, MUI new content and MUI third party new content.
All downloaded and seem to work well.
Changes are that in my user-statup, one or more of the many dozens of assigns that I have for old (68k) programs is causing me issues. I will iteratively uncomment them and see if I can figure out what the problem might be.

So what new software is there for OS4 these days?

Scott

scabit 
Posted on 29-Nov-2018 0:42:43
#4 ]

@Hypex

It turns out that most of my problems were related to that old problem ... I needed to re-seat my memory card in the slot. Once I pulled it out and re-seated it, everything began to work fine!

So, is there any fun new OS4 software available to download? Stuff that will work on a machine without a fancy graphics card?

Scott

Hypex 
Posted on 30-Nov-2018 15:21:37
#5 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Aha. Memory issues again. Strange that was booting and working with the issues.

New software? Hmmm. There's a new relase of SketchBlock.

The AEON Enhancer packs remain popular.

The Spencer 3d game is popular. I got it loaded on my A1/XE. So it should work but I couldn't get into the game.

Bound to be lots of other stuff. But I don't take too much notice. Uness it's big.

Could check the depot for anything interesting.

Last edited by Hypex on 30-Nov-2018 at 03:22 PM.

dan.hutch 
Posted on 30-Nov-2018 16:56:51
#6 ]
Cult Member

@scabit

Welcome back!

Tower57

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle