Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
21 crawler(s) on-line.
 119 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Troels

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Troels:  1 min ago
 Gunnar:  14 mins ago
 Rob:  19 mins ago
 zipper:  43 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 49 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 1 min ago
 Comi:  2 hrs 30 mins ago
 vox:  3 hrs 16 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Why i left the Amiga
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
AmigaBlitter 
Why i left the Amiga
Posted on 20-Dec-2018 8:15:19
#1 ]
Elite Member

I've been around this forum since 2005. Although i was checking all the Amiga news and magazine all the time even before. I was full of enthusiam.

I tried to do all my best to support the platform in some form but, i have to admit, nothing of the Amiga is remained here.
I appreciate the effort that some companies have done trying to keep up with hardware, software and updates of variuos type.
Btw, after many years i fail to see real progress, despite the effort of many.

We don't really have an "Amiga" hardware, nor software.
Amiga was something really pecualiar, unique at the time it come to the scene.
In these years i saw many opportunity faded through time (lastly the Power 9), hard to mention all of these.
The OS doesn't progress at all, we still have single core 32 bit OS and many "base" application that still missing, like a fully fledged Browser and an Office suite.

Many unfulfilled promises here and there.

The Amiga dream seems ended, lost in trials.

I was hoped for a single united platform, but we have splitted projects and community. Cooperation is a mere illusion.

I hope to that the Amiga will really have a chance to restart.

Thanks to all the friend and everyone

Profile     Report this post  
pavlor 
Re: Why i left the Amiga
Posted on 20-Dec-2018 8:44:27
#2 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

Sad to see another nice community member frustrated by misfortunes of Amiga. Don´t let the Amiga curse to overcome you! Play some good Amiga game and - in few months or years - return back with new enthusiasm. You are always welcome!

g0blin 
Posted on 20-Dec-2018 10:20:11
#3 ]
Cult Member

@AmigaBlitter

I personally stopped some times ago to ask myself the very same questions. All what you say is true, but everytime I fire up my Sam (or any legacy system via an emulator) I feel at home.

It may not be a modern one, sometimes it is a real wreck ... nonetheless, it always feels like a castle to my heart. I don't know if the Amiga will still be around 10 years from now, but I know I will.

So long, my friend. Come back when you want, you'll always be welcome here.

Last edited by g0blin on 20-Dec-2018 at 10:21 AM.

Cybersphere Page

Trixie 
Posted on 20-Dec-2018 10:59:31
#4 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@AmigaBlitter

Quote:
In these years i saw many opportunity faded through time (lastly the Power 9), hard to mention all of these.

The Power 9 was never an opportunity: a pipe-dream, more like. Having unrealistic expectations is the no. 1 reason why people get disappointed with things Amiga these days.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

BigD 
Posted on 20-Dec-2018 12:18:48
#5 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

Quote:
The Amiga dream seems ended, lost in trials.

The Amiga dream will stay alive as long as there are passionate users that love using it. Modern hardware seldom gets 'used' creatively or for fun anymore. The browser is all powerful and actually as addictive as novacane it would seem. It is actually hard to load Angry Birds or World of Goo on my 'modern' machine as bowsers are the 'go too' app these days

Boot up an Amiga and a world of fun awaits... always

You'll be back and we'll welcome you when you do. Have a great Christmas.

invent 
Posted on 20-Dec-2018 12:28:07
#6 ]

@AmigaBlitter

For me the Amiga is alive and yes while I agree with your reflective thoughts, when I open “Amiga only” software such as Brilliance 2, even if it’s via emulation I’m at home and happy.

utri007 
Posted on 20-Dec-2018 13:41:11
#7 ]

There woun't be comeback for Amiga!!!

It is hobby machine / OS and nobody shouldn't wait too much for it.

Accept it and you would be happy with Amiga again.

Alternative wouldn't be nice for amiga hobbyists. Amiga comeback would require hundreds of millions Euros and abandoning current userbase, hardware and software. Means everything we have now.

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 20-Dec-2018 14:03:11
#8 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

Best wishes and salutations, hopefully we see you around again one day in Amigaland.

BigD 
Posted on 20-Dec-2018 14:36:03
#9 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

Quote:
I hope to that the Amiga will really have a chance to restart.

It never went away! As stated already ALL current hardware, software and current users would likely have to left out in the cold to attempt something more relevant to the mainstream during a relaunch. Think Atari with Tramiel and the ST rather than a games machine or the new retro console. The Falcon hasn't been relaunched despite it having real promise in the 90s perhaps more than the A1200.

Also, Christmas is a weird time of year to give up on the Amiga as it kinda comes alive again at Christmas. 4-player adaptors, 2-player Null Modem fun, impressing family with DPaint animations or the new classic Amiga games that are STILL coming out! There's even the David Pleasance book to read or the electronic version of 'Commodore: The Final Years' Kickstarter Edition (if you backed it ).

This is FAR more activity than the Amiga could expect almost 25 years after its parent company died!

bison 
Posted on 20-Dec-2018 15:38:47
#10 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

Quote:
We don't really have an "Amiga" hardware, nor software.

No, not really. That all died in 1994. I don't really consider NG Amigas to be "real" Amigas, which is why I won't spend a lot of money on one. But I'm not opposed to them either, and hope they continue to be viable for those who enjoy them.

But Amiga as an idea, that power and simplicity can exist simultaneously in the same system, this has not died. Sometimes it is manifest in systems that are abhorrent to most Amigans, which is kind of humorous -- "not invented here" is a strong impulse.

dhr 
Posted on 20-Dec-2018 15:58:49
#11 ]

(I'm a tourist here. I never used an Amiga. But as a former Atari ST guy, I see merit in the Amiga world.)

I imagine that the value of the Amiga now is just plain fun and creativity, kind of like working on model trains. And that's plenty good enough.

It makes no sense to dream of world conquest at this point. My desktop has been Linux for about 25 years and it works well but still barely shows up in statistics about desktop usage.

Once in a while there are mass-market retro-gaming releases. Atari 2600 in a joystick, NES, C=64. I wonder if Amiga would be possible. Guess: technically, yes; Legally: very hard; marketing: too specialized? At what price-point would, say, 10,000 people be willing to buy it?

cha05e90 
Posted on 20-Dec-2018 16:17:13
#12 ]

@invent

Quote:
I’m at home and happy.

The voice of reason...

pavlor 
Posted on 20-Dec-2018 17:41:24
#13 ]
Elite Member

@dhr

Welcome!

JimS 
Posted on 20-Dec-2018 18:16:03
#14 ]

@AmigaBlitter
It seems to me that the Amiga, like the Atari ST and their 8-bit ancestors, were things of their times. In those days, owning a computer was a goal in itself, being able to do something useful with it was a bonus. These days, most everything I do with the computer centers around the tasks rather than the computer. I don't care much about the hardware or the OS so long as it can do the job. My interest in the Amiga is pure nostalgia. To make a car analogy, it's like a Model T or a 60's muscle car - glad they're sill around, and people still make parts, but not your "daily driver".
For a modern Amiga to interest me, it has to have a browser, office suite, and players for media files. Or it must offer something else that justifies it that the mainstream lacks. Just having it is no longer enough.

my 2 ˘

g0blin 
Posted on 20-Dec-2018 20:01:00
#15 ]
Cult Member

@dhr

Cool, a new member of the verge of 2019. Only Amiga makes it possible!

[Edit: an old member but with a new post! ]

Last edited by g0blin on 20-Dec-2018 at 08:14 PM.

Cybersphere Page

amigasociety 
Posted on 20-Dec-2018 20:06:56
#16 ]
Cult Member

@dhr

Quote:

dhr wrote:
(I'm a tourist here. I never used an Amiga. But as a former Atari ST guy, I see merit in the Amiga world.)

Wow, over 10 years to make your 1st post. Nice!

I too was an Atarian, since the late 70s, moving from 8 bit to ST series in early 90s. When internet started being born and I needed to get work done, I moved to Apple Mac back in the early to mid 90s, but used my Mega ST2 until mid to later 90s before selling it all off.

I was never interested in Amiga until 2010 when I heard about the X1000 from A-Eon. I have proceeded to purhase NG Amiga since and have become friends with many cool Amigans here and at Amiwest.

Amiga is part of my life now, NG Amiga that is.

I still prefer Atari in retro uses and since collected quite a bit of Atari. Tried to play with older Amiga, purchased, tried, sold off. Found the older Amiga has no pull for me since I was raised Atari.

But today I can see why the Amiga was cool, the OS well ahead of its time back then compared to Atari and others.

I enjoy my X5K and Tabor and Sam440ep today, and can say the X5K is darn close to being usable for everyday stuff. Well above what modern Atari has now since there really is no Atari equivalent to modern like the X5K from A-eon is running Amiga OS 4.1FE.

Add a good web browser and I could use it really well for many things but today is just hobby and to make friends in the Amiga scene.

Welcome to you and long live Atari... er I mean Amiga. hehe.

TJ

Last edited by amigasociety on 20-Dec-2018 at 08:09 PM.
Last edited by amigasociety on 20-Dec-2018 at 08:08 PM.

g0blin 
Posted on 20-Dec-2018 20:12:25
#17 ]
Cult Member

@thread

I'm reading David Pleasance book these days and, from that perspective, it seems to me that most american users actually abandoned the Amiga even before Commodore demise. From an European point of view, it almost seems that if Amiga is still somewhat strong today it is thanks to Europe in general, and northern Europe in particular (UK, Scandinavian countries and so on).

I'm writing from Italy, so I don't actually know if my conclusions hold some truth. I just remember buying my first Amiga at the end of 1991. Then, between 1993 and 1994, I used to live in the USA, but aside from a handful of magazines (like Amiga World) I'd never seen any Commodore computer around. I'd like to have your opinion, expecially from US users.

In the meantime, my best wishes to y'all for a very Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year!

Last edited by g0blin on 20-Dec-2018 at 08:16 PM.

Cybersphere Page

amigasociety 
Posted on 20-Dec-2018 20:52:41
#18 ]
Cult Member

@g0blin

Yeh I am in USA and for professional use, the Atari and Amiga and other non PC non Mac platforms seemed to have never become real, in my opinion, for professional use. Lots of business moved into Windows based system and graphics folks moved onto Apple Mac platform.

The Atari and Amiga quickly became just home and hobby and gaming systems. Once big games became popular on PC and Mac, then people left the Atari and Amigas too.

Pretty much it was over for Atari and Amiga in the late 80s in my opinion in USA even though I stayed Atari for as long as I could but getting real work done meant getting a PC or Mac and I chose Mac.

TJ

OldAmigan 
Posted on 20-Dec-2018 20:59:05
#19 ]
Cult Member

@AmigaBlitter

I don't often post but I lurk here often and I've always noticed your posts.

Its sad to see you so dispirited and I know how you feel because I often do myself.

However, there are products coming out, particularly the Vampire range, which, whilst they don't take the Amiga forward in an 'NG' direction, they sure take the classic line forward in terms of usability and speed.

Have a Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year and I hope we'll see you back soon when you've had a break.

Fred

AmigaOne and OS4.1
Mac LCII, G4 Powermac running OSX + Amigakit and MorphOS 3.0
Dell Mini 10 Netbook running IcAros and AmigaForever+Amikit+AmigaSys
2006 Macb

BigD 
Posted on 20-Dec-2018 21:07:06
#20 ]
Elite Member

@g0blin

Quote:
I'd like to have your opinion, expecially from US users.

The IBM PC was far more entrenched in the US than it was in Europe by 1985. Also, Americans really fell in love with consoles in a big way and for some reason pretty much idolise the NES! In Europe it was late to market and an overpriced waste of time in the late 80s when it had a presence in WHSmiths etc in the UK. Different markets I guess.

The A500 never really found the C64 niche in America as they had the NES in 1985 as opposed to 1987 here and so the C64 was replaced in many homes by NES machines rather than Amigas!! Business users saw the Amiga as a big box of graphical tricks that had no place in business where green and black screens should suffice!!!

For a forward thinking country they had no vision for multitasking or graphics. In many ways it's the iPod/iPhone mentality. They were originally inferior machines specification wise to MiniDisc players / Samsung Android phones respectively but if they 'just work' and the marketing is good then people (and especially Americans) are prepared to pay more for less. Remember that first generation iPods would have a brief pause of silence between each track and were using vastly lower quality audio files than the MiniDisc players of the time. iPhones still to this day do not have the ability to take SD cards and yet people are surprised when their phones fill up or their iCloud account is hacked

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle