Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 130 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

sibbi

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 sibbi:  42 secs ago
 vox:  11 mins ago
 kolla:  21 mins ago
 Mr_DBUG:  22 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 retrofaza:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 saimo:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 54 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Why I stayed with the Amiga
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
khayoz 
Why I stayed with the Amiga
Posted on 20-Dec-2018 23:25:41
#1 ]

Because it rocks! Merry Xmas (or what or not you're celebrating) & A Happy New Year to all Amiga users out there!

Profile     Report this post  
NutsAboutAmiga 
Re: Why I stayed with the Amiga
Posted on 20-Dec-2018 23:56:39
#2 ]
Elite Member

@khayoz

Despite lack of SDK updates, lack of SMP or improvements to AmigaOS4.1 it has more or less what I need, to write software, not happy with web browser issue, but there is nothing I can do about that, but I have PC do most facebook / youtube surfing.

As there is no real options, memory protection is not any better on AROS or MorphOS, or Classic Amiga, there really is no other system to go to. Sure there might few bugs or some newer port of something on other systems (but this will always change), the FPGA Amiga systems look fun, but they are slow compared to AmigaONE systems. AmigaOS4.1 is far ahead on 3D graphics, even it looks a bit unfinished, I'm sure it will be great, I see Kas1e, Hanz and other working on it almost dally on this and this suggest to me as developer, that things is getting better, at least in some areas.

So I stick with AmigaOS and will be continuing to write software for the platform.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Dec-2018 at 12:19 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 20-Dec-2018 at 11:58 PM.

khayoz 
Posted on 21-Dec-2018 0:13:19
#3 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Yeah i hear you, the real Xmas present would be Hyperion relesing AmigaOS 4.1FE upd2,
but that aint gonna happen any time soon.

In the long run the Amiga community is gonna fix this anyway as always, you know why? Because we are Amiga and we survive!

My desktop setup right now is - X5000 as main computer, Amiga 500 rev 8a.1 WB1.3, Amy/416D79 rev1.4 prototype Vampire 500+ WB3.1, Ultimate 64 rev1.2.

So I got it all covered!

BigD 
Posted on 21-Dec-2018 0:41:50
#4 ]
Elite Member

@khayoz

Quote:
Because it rocks! Merry Xmas (or what or not you're celebrating) & A Happy New Year to all Amiga users out there!

You just took Christ out of Christmas and then pretentiously attempted not to offend atheists and religious people by the mere suggestion that you acknowledge Christmas will take place again this year!

That my friend is taking political correctness way way way too far!

Why do you feel able to wish us Happy New Year without a caveat that you hope that the Chinese will forgive you assuming that we all use the Anno Domini ("The year of our Lord") calendar system? I expect a complete retraction or else the internet isn't the safe space I thought it was

... and come to think of it to wish only 'Amiga' users a Happy New Year is downright Atari-phobic!

BigD 
Posted on 21-Dec-2018 0:50:38
#5 ]
Elite Member

@khayoz

.. oh yeah, and I stayed with the Amiga for the free spirited community who weren't afraid to call an egg an egg. They chose not to follow the crowd and always spoke their mind even when the rest of the world kept telling us all how to think. Hopefully that isn't changing.

khayoz 
Posted on 21-Dec-2018 0:50:55
#6 ]

@BigD

Thats how I'm rollin, if it was up to me then I would cancel all religious holidays!
I'm a man of no beliefs(except Amiga) total atheist!

But then again - Merry Xmas (or what or not you're celebrating)
& A Happy New Year to all Amiga users out there!

khayoz 
Posted on 21-Dec-2018 1:00:25
#7 ]

@BigD

Well for you I make an exception- Merry Now!
There is nothing but now! Finite.

BigD 
Posted on 21-Dec-2018 1:02:28
#8 ]
Elite Member

@khayoz

Quote:
Thats how I'm rollin, if it was up to me then I would cancel all religious holidays! I'm a man of no beliefs(except Amiga) total atheist!

Don't pretend to be so all inclusive then if you are going to be blasphemous ('Xmas' and not 'Christmas') and in complete denial about how bland your ridiculous political correct 'Seasons Greetings' type message is to the majority of people. By all means water Christmas down to a pagan celebration on par with Saturnalia but don't attempt to pay lip service to it by taking the 'Christ' out of Christmas and then pretending the concept it is STILL offensive to people!!

I get it; Christ is offensive to non-believers; being reminded that we are all sinful is a bitter pill to swallow, but to seemingly suggest that the majority are easily offended with WHY we are celebrating this time a year is ridiculous! Get off the fence or you'll get a sore bum.

Jesus' birth is a joyous event and some acknowledge and others do not but that is why we have a public holiday at this time of year ...that is just common sense. Whether or not you believe he came into the world to die for your sins or not is up to you but don't muddy the basics of history and tradition please.

Where is the apology to the Chinese?

... and the Atari ST users

Last edited by BigD on 21-Dec-2018 at 01:06 AM.

khayoz 
Posted on 21-Dec-2018 1:20:01
#9 ]

@BigD

Your'e a funny guy! I didn't specify when the new year is, so the chinese guys are safe!
Atari guys naah, let them have the shit they always had and wished for an Amiga. :)

khayoz 
Posted on 21-Dec-2018 1:28:42
#10 ]

@BigD

I'll think I stay to FESTIVUS for now...
SERENITY NOW, SERENITY NOW!!!!

And sorry for THE off topic folks!
Amiga Rocks!

Last edited by khayoz on 21-Dec-2018 at 03:34 AM.
Last edited by khayoz on 21-Dec-2018 at 03:33 AM.

Trixie 
Posted on 21-Dec-2018 7:41:33
#11 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@BigD

Quote:
Don't pretend to be so all inclusive then if you are going to be blasphemous ('Xmas' and not 'Christmas') and in complete denial about how bland your ridiculous political correct 'Seasons Greetings' type message is to the majority of people. By all means water Christmas down to a pagan celebration on par with Saturnalia but don't attempt to pay lip service to it by taking the 'Christ' out of Christmas

Nice crusade you're taking here, but you're misinformed. Writing Christmas as 'Xmas" has nothing to do with today's political correctness, or blasphemy, or attempts to get the name of Jesus Christ out of the way. Actually, the letter X - which stands for "Ch" in the Greek alphabet as well as symbolizes the Holy Cross - was used as a shorthand for Christ more than a thousand years ago, in perfectly religious and non-derogatory contexts. The Oxford English Dictionary first records the use of the form "Xmas" in 1551. Hardly a modern invention of the secular man.

May I suggest you take a look at the "Origins of the Specious: Myths and Misconceptions of the English Language" by O'Connor and Kellerman? It could make a nice Xmas present, by the way.

Also, lecturing people about things you apparently have no ground for is not the way to create a festive atmosphere in our favourite forums. So let's stay civil and celebrate, Christ or no Christ.

And, yes... let's get back on topic

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

Deniil715 
Posted on 21-Dec-2018 9:34:47
#12 ]
Elite Member

I stayed with Amiga because, simply, there is no alternative.

Here I have everything where I want it and how I want it. I can script things. One or two-line arexx scripts makes the difference between Amiga and the rest. I have all my tool and utilities I have written over the years. Can't port all of these. All music, all pictures, videos. Convertions tools at a click of a DOpus-button.

I tried changing to Linux at some point around the launch of the first AmigaOne, but I just got frustrated. If I would use Linux it would be because I hate windoze, not because I like Linux. MacOS? No thanks. So what's left? winsuck? Yeah, to get things done, and typically pretty fast. Then what? No fun. File structure sucks, eternal rebooting because of updates. Programs without options. Installing, polluting, gets slower over time. What kind of OS is that, really?

Sure there are things I miss with the Amiga, like uptodate browser and MP so small bugs don't take down the entire machine. Have to live with that until something better comes around.

Long live the Amiga!

Daedalus 
Posted on 21-Dec-2018 9:52:06
#13 ]

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:

By all means water Christmas down to a pagan celebration on par with Saturnalia but don't attempt to pay lip service to it by taking the 'Christ' out of Christmas and then pretending the concept it is STILL offensive to people!!

Christmas is still a useful name for the celebration of the end of the year. Meanings can and do move on - just look at how the days and months are named after other, equally valid gods.

Quote:
I get it; Christ is offensive to non-believers;

Ummm, nope. Why would somebody be offended by something they don't believe even exists? That's like being afraid of monsters hiding under your bed.

Quote:
being reminded that we are all sinful is a bitter pill to swallow,

LOL

Quote:
but to seemingly suggest that the majority are easily offended with WHY we are celebrating this time a year is ridiculous!

Ah, I think I see what's going now... I think you're confusing people who don't care with people who are offended by silly little things. You should recognise that there's a very important distinction between the two.

Quote:
Jesus' birth is a joyous event

I'm sure it was for his parents

Quote:
and some acknowledge and others do not but that is why we have a public holiday at this time of year

Not sure of the relevance here, but public holidays can and do occur for events of other religions, non-religions, and simply traditional days off. At this stage, having days off at Christmas has nothing whatsoever to do with religion, and is simply the tradition of celebrating another successful orbit of the sun with friends and family.

Quote:
but don't muddy the basics of history and tradition please.

Ah yes, the history and tradition of the end of year celebrations that predate Christ?

Anyway, back on topic: I'm staying with the Amiga because I really enjoy using it as it is now. While updates, new releases and new hardware would be nice, I don't sit around waiting for them to happen, because that might be a bit of a wait or end in disappointment. Instead, I'll enjoy the great systems I have now, using them most days as a breath of fresh air from a world dominated by Windows.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 21-Dec-2018 11:41:29
#14 ]
Elite Member

@khayoz

Merry Xmas to you too

[other content of message removed]

Last edited by _Steve_ on 16-Jan-2019 at 09:15 PM.
Last edited by _Steve_ on 25-Dec-2018 at 12:32 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 21-Dec-2018 12:34:49
#15 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

Quote:
He'll also constantly twist and contort everything you say to support his delusions.

Quote:
The f***w** even started an anti gay thread on this very website.

So I'm the one that twists and contorts the truth when you've just confused a pro-marriage thread (which I didn't start) with an anti-gay thread And you're trying to claim I'm misinformed and blinkered

If people get offended by the mere suggestion that the majority of people celebrate Christmas (and hence require your constant clarification of '...or whatever YOU celebrate / whatever's good for you) then the debauched festivals of drinking too much; St Patrick's day and Oktoberfest will soon swing round again . Those or maybe the celebration of the occult that we now market to our children as "just a bit of harmless fun" called Halloween seems to be tolerated just fine with enlightened individuals by yourselves with no caveats . For some reason your reserve your vitriol for Christian celebrations because you'd prefer to not have to grapple with the truths of Jesus Christ at all.

Merry Christmas fishy_fis and khayoz and remember that Jesus IS the reason for the season whether you acknowledge it or not.

... back on topic. I stuck with the Amiga because it really is the most logical and sensibly designed home computer that ever was. It is fun to use and MOST of the time brings together people of all world views and backgrounds. Sadly, people can appear tolerant and enlightened until they are confronted with world views different to their own (and in particular the teachings of Jesus Christ) and then intolerance and hypocrisy is revealed.

@fishy_fis
If you think that your language is suitable for use on this thread you are mistaken. You don't have a monopoly on free thought and rational thinking.

... again the main point is the Amiga is about community and Christmas should also be about bringing people together while also taking a fresh look at the Christmas message.

Last edited by BigD on 21-Dec-2018 at 12:47 PM.

Daedalus 
Posted on 21-Dec-2018 13:06:31
#16 ]

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:

If people get offended by the mere suggestion that the majority of people celebrate Christmas

Yes, in this part of the world. but while most people are aware of the Jesus element, very few these days actually celebrate Christmas for that reason.

Quote:
Those or maybe the celebration of the occult that we now market to our children as "just a bit of harmless fun" called Halloween seems to be tolerated just fine with enlightened individuals by yourselves with no caveats .

And what's the difference? Both are traditions based around the myths of the ancient past.

Quote:
because you'd prefer to not have to grapple with the truths of Jesus Christ at all.

Haha, "truths".

Quote:
remember that Jesus IS the reason for the season whether you acknowledge it or not.

When was Jesus' birthday again?

Quote:
Christmas should also be about bringing people together

Indeed, and it is widely taken as that by people of different faiths and of none.

Quote:
while also taking a fresh look at the Christmas message.

Unconditional love? Acceptance? Charity? Recycling your used packaging? Whose message, exactly?

BigD 
Posted on 21-Dec-2018 13:37:14
#17 ]
Elite Member

@Daedalus

Quote:
Whose message, exactly?

Luke 2 verses 1-20 covers the birth of Jesus. Isaiah 7:14 predicts his arrival over 400 years previously so that's worth a look.

I mean the general reason God the Father sent him to earth is nicely summed up in:
1 John 5:11-13

"And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life."

John 3:16 indicates that God sent Jesus because he loved us.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

It is also pointing out that there is no other way to God other than Jesus. So yeah, if you're short of time those verses should suffice for starters.

Daedalus 
Posted on 21-Dec-2018 15:33:29
#18 ]

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:

[snip]

It is also pointing out that there is no other way to God other than Jesus. So yeah, if you're short of time those verses should suffice for starters.

As it happens, I'm already familiar with them, but thanks for sharing. The various different versions of the Bible make for fascinating reading, but bear very little on the modern world.

What I don't have is any reason to take an arbitrary set of rules from a mediaeval story book over common sense and good morals. I'm also missing that need to be reminded that I'm a bad person according to those arbitrary rules, either by apocryphal stories in a thousand year old text, or by preachers who frequently have very little knowledge of the subjects of their lectures themselves. And I'm totally at a loss for any reason whatsoever to accept this book of stories as proof of anything other than the thirst for power of various leaders in the middle ages.

While I'm sure there's a certain amount of truth behind it all (Jesus probably did exist), any reasonable application of logic will show that most of the explanations given are simply borne of a lack of understanding at the time, much of which has been eliminated over the centuries.

BigD 
Posted on 21-Dec-2018 16:13:07
#19 ]
Elite Member

@Daedalus

Quote:
any reasonable application of logic will show that most of the explanations given are simply borne of a lack of understanding at the time

Great! If you're a man of logic then this can be your Easter reading:

Frank Morrison: Who Moved the Stone

Last edited by BigD on 21-Dec-2018 at 04:14 PM.

g0blin 
Posted on 21-Dec-2018 16:13:18
#20 ]
Cult Member

@all

May I just say Happy HOLYdays .... I'll take it back ... Happy vacation time to anyone?

Nonetheless, long live the Amiga!

Cybersphere Page

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle