Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
23 crawler(s) on-line.
 97 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 MagicSN:  6 mins ago
 pixie:  19 mins ago
 Hypex:  25 mins ago
 matthey:  34 mins ago
 amigakit:  41 mins ago
 amigang:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 fingus:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 wakido:  1 hr 32 mins ago
 Swisso:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 zErec:  2 hrs 11 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Why I stayed with the Amiga
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
NutsAboutAmiga 
Re: Why I stayed with the Amiga
Posted on 21-Dec-2018 16:28:50
#21 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

I think its time for you to read this:

http://freya.theladyofthelabyrinth.com/?page_id=397

Profile     Report this post  
BigD 
Posted on 21-Dec-2018 17:06:55
#22 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Heathen Yule!? Why would I want to read about that? Why don't I travel to Stonehenge today for the Winter Solstice and take up Morris Dancing while I'm at it? That's why December was chosen to celebrate Jesus' birthday to eclipse all this pagan mumbo-jumbo. Seriously, you'd think the so called enlightenment and it's children would love to drag us all back into pagan ritual and idolatry rather than explore our Christian heritage

I suggested a sensible book looking at the facts behind the claims made by Jesus and the early Christian Church and you come back with this?! I'd rather read Commodore: The Final Years that is sitting on my hard drive thank you.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 21-Dec-2018 17:09:31
#23 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

No one knows when Jesus was born.

https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/questions/when-was-jesus-born/

There are other people worth celebrating.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/89934/6-great-scientists-who-were-born-christmas-day

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Dec-2018 at 05:15 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 21-Dec-2018 17:19:21
#24 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

interesting subject, but off topic. now,if you ask me if i stayed with amiga? i did. because i dint moved to ng. or rather embraced the only ng option that allows me to stay with amiga at the same time: aros-m68k.

Daedalus 
Posted on 21-Dec-2018 17:42:45
#25 ]

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@Daedalus

Great! If you're a man of logic then this can be your Easter reading:

Biased much? Bear in mind that many people manage to be convinced of the myth of the resurrection, including your good self of course. Just because one follows logic and reason, doesn't mean that anything that sounds vaguely like logic is reasonable or correct. And, of course, basing the majority of the research on a mediaeval story book of dubious historical accuracy is hardly an sound, objective basis from where to start. Given how prolific both graverobbing and bribery were at the time, it seems utterly bizarre to simply write that off as a simple explanation, especially given Jesus' celebrity status at the time, and instead substitute a magical resurrection and ascension, naturally without leaving any physical evidence or reliable witnesses.

But I can definitely recommend this for your Christmas reading.

Quote:
Heathen Yule!? Why would I want to read about that?

Because studying every aspect of a topic is a much better way of understanding it than blindly following the one aspect into which you've been indoctrinated as a child.

Quote:
Why don't I travel to Stonehenge today for the Winter Solstice and take up Morris Dancing while I'm at it?

Indeed, why don't you? After all, it's the winter solstice that has been celebrated as the middle of winter for many cultures before it was taken over by Christianity. Besides, it's not all that different from you expecting us all to meet up every Sunday in a stone temple to recite ancient incantations and express our submission to an invisible overlord, guided like sheep by one of his "shepherds".

Quote:
That's why December was chosen to celebrate Jesus' birthday to eclipse all this pagan mumbo-jumbo.

Whatever happened to unconditional love and acceptance? Steamrolling one set of mumbo-jumbo out of the way for another set of even less relevant mumbo-jumbo, often with the threatening or use of extreme violence, hardly sounds very Christian now does it?

Quote:
Seriously, you'd think the so called enlightenment and it's children would love to drag us all back into pagan ritual and idolatry rather than explore our Christian heritage

And what makes Christian idolatry more valid than Pagan idolatry? The fact that your parents said so?

Quote:
I'd rather read Commodore: The Final Years that is sitting on my hard drive thank you.

And there's the crux of the issue, utter denial and close-mindedness.

Last edited by Daedalus on 21-Dec-2018 at 05:43 PM.

Arnie 
Posted on 21-Dec-2018 17:49:53
#26 ]
Cult Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Maybe the whole holiday thing should be moved to the 12th February and then just say merry Dawin day. At least his story is based on facts and truth rather than myths and hearsay.

@wawa

Isn't the whole thread of topic

wawa 
Posted on 21-Dec-2018 18:13:02
#27 ]
Elite Member

@Arnie

Quote:
Isn't the whole thread of topic

save for me.

BigD 
Posted on 21-Dec-2018 18:44:21
#28 ]
Elite Member

@Arnie

Quote:
At least his story is based on facts and truth rather than myths and hearsay.

And yet it isn't. The pseudo scientists involved started from the position of assuming an 'old Earth' and then followed their assumptions backwards to try and force their hypotheses to make sense. Pompous assumptions are backed up with more assumptions by professors who should know better at peer review of these 'pseudo-scientific' biological HISTORY journals!

Evolution has not been proved and all genetics tells is that DNA degrades when it mutates and has never been seen to create entire new species that can't reproduce with itself in controlled experiments. A mutating virus is not an equivalent. Natural selection regarding finch beaks again is not an equivalent. Assumptions built on assumptions trying against everything to be a proper scientific method based science and yet all it is the study of Biological HISTORY and does not resemble any repeatable scientific method 'science' that I've ever studied. Hypothesis based on tertiary sources are all that is available to evolutionary 'historians', unless they'd like to ask God what happened at the creation of man!

An A500+ is an evolution of an A500 because the 'creator' in that case Commodore, decided to evolve the design. No mechanism for the evolution of humans has been found (and definitely none found for a Platypus or Bombardier Beetle). I'll repeat genetic mutations bring weakness, cancer and death not superpowers or new species!!! Fa-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la

Last edited by BigD on 21-Dec-2018 at 07:15 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 21-Dec-2018 at 06:48 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 21-Dec-2018 at 06:48 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 21-Dec-2018 at 06:46 PM.

ribdevil 
Posted on 21-Dec-2018 19:46:22
#29 ]

@wawa

Aros? it sounds to me, is not that bad clone made with Intel platform? Is that an AMIGA ? If you say so.

Feliz Navidad y prospero año nuevo a todos, en especial a los "excepticos.

Merry Christmas and prosperous new year to all, especially to the exceptes.

Virginio

Last edited by ribdevil on 21-Dec-2018 at 07:48 PM.

amigang 
Posted on 21-Dec-2018 21:55:26
#30 ]
Elite Member

Well its a shame the AmigaNG markets arent quite working out (I still have hope unlike some) but there still plenty to enjoy and do on what we currently have now, and one great community. Amiga Forever!

klx300r 
Posted on 21-Dec-2018 22:04:09
#31 ]
Elite Member

still enjoying and having fun with my miggies (classic & NG)

Merry Christmas to all amigans

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Trekiej 
Posted on 21-Dec-2018 22:51:38
#32 ]
Cult Member

Merry Christmas.

John 3:16

Rose 
Posted on 21-Dec-2018 23:16:17
#33 ]
Cult Member

@Daedalus

You are trying to reason person who believes that he's opressed by nanny state because it says that he can't smack his kids.

BigD 
Posted on 21-Dec-2018 23:28:31
#34 ]
Elite Member

@Rose

I don't know what oppressive part of the world you live in but reasonable discipline of children with smacking is very much still legal in United Kingdom whatever the Welsh Assembly would have you believe. I know fake news is rife at the moment but making up British legislation is really going some!

I guess you just tell the kids that they'll be put on an imaginary Coca-Cola mascot's naughty list if they cause Mom and Pop grief during the holidays? I don't personally find lying and bribery the best tools to base a parenting strategy on but each to their own.

I've also bought them both Amiga games for Christmas if that makes you feel better? I find that if they risk their own lives by making a dash for the road or by attempting to shove their fingers in the mains power sockets then a smack really is the best option so that they survive into adulthood. However, you might take the view that my children should be raised by the state in a kinda communist commune where they are protected from loving parents at all costs?

Last edited by BigD on 21-Dec-2018 at 11:32 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 21-Dec-2018 at 11:31 PM.

bison 
Posted on 21-Dec-2018 23:54:44
#35 ]
Elite Member

@Daedalus

Quote:
Whatever happened to unconditional love and acceptance?

That's Oprah, or... someone. A lot of people seem to think Jesus preached this, but it's really hard to make that case convincingly, since he said so many things to the contrary.

@thread

Merry Christmas!

I guess it's time to change my avatar.

Last edited by bison on 21-Dec-2018 at 11:56 PM.

QuikSanz 
Posted on 22-Dec-2018 1:18:55
#36 ]

@bison,

Nah, wait till my birthday, the 26th to change it back.

BigD 
Posted on 22-Dec-2018 1:24:11
#37 ]
Elite Member

@QuikSanz

Quote:
Nah, wait till my birthday, the 26th to change it back.

There's 12 days of Christmas mate! To get just a partridge and two turtle doves 'aint no Christmas at all

Daedalus 
Posted on 22-Dec-2018 1:48:55
#38 ]

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@Rose

I don't know what oppressive part of the world you live in but reasonable discipline of children with smacking is very much still legal in United Kingdom whatever the Welsh Assembly would have you believe. I know fake news is rife at the moment but making up British legislation is really going some!

Yikes... Do you have fond memories of being beaten as a child? As I've asked you before, define "reasonable"? Is reasonable physical punishment that which doesn't leave a physical mark?

Quote:
I guess you just tell the kids that they'll be put on an imaginary Coca-Cola mascot's naughty list if they cause Mom and Pop grief during the holidays? I don't personally find lying and bribery the best tools to base a parenting strategy on but each to their own.

But you tell your kids they'll burn in eternal damnation because they were born sinners?

Quote:
I find that if they risk their own lives by making a dash for the road or by attempting to shove their fingers in the mains power sockets then a smack really is the best option so that they survive into adulthood.

Jesus, I just hope my kids don't become friends with your kids. Because explaining beatings to my children and why some children don't get them while others do is actually a little tricky. I guess because their daddy doesn't love them as much will have to do, though I would never deny my kids friends based on their parents' beliefs.

Quote:
However, you might take the view that my children should be raised by the state in a kinda communist commune where they are protected from loving parents at all costs?

Ah, again with the extremism. You brought up God when there was no need, and now you're bringing up communism. What the actual f***?

Last edited by _Steve_ on 25-Dec-2018 at 12:37 PM.

Daedalus 
Posted on 22-Dec-2018 1:51:38
#39 ]

@bison

Quote:

bison wrote:
@Daedalus

Quote:
Whatever happened to unconditional love and acceptance?

That's Oprah, or... someone. A lot of people seem to think Jesus preached this, but it's really hard to make that case convincingly, since he said so many things to the contrary.

Indeed, it was a loaded question for BigD, who I'm sure will be happy to provide an answer...

BigD 
Posted on 22-Dec-2018 2:15:49
#40 ]
Elite Member

@Daedalus

Quote:
guess because their daddy doesn't love them as much will have to do

I think the reverse is true (quite obviously because your world view is on its head compared to mine). I'll have to explain to my kids that parents who don't love their kids as much don't think discipline is necessary. Trendy lefty types think they can stop children under six from running out into a road or playing with electricity with a diagram and a bag of sweets. More dangerously they like to tell Christians to shut up about Jesus' good news for humanity while telling good parents how they should be doing it and would have no issue with them being locked up and their children being taken into care for giving them a clip on the leg for running off!

Have a Happy Christmas 'ya filthy liberal (this is a Home Alone reference before you report me to the SNP / Thought Police).

If other news; Kid is brought up in a loving home, gets a smack when they were a danger to themselves or others, learns their boundaries and leads a productive life respecting authority - SHOCK!

Seriously though, do you listen to the news? The main problem in this society is parents not caring! The stories of abuse and neglect out of parental selfishness are flooding the press and it probably gets worse at Christmas. Generally as a rule, if you are smacking your children because you are lazy and want time to yourself or you couldn't care less why your child is crying but want them just to shut up then you don't deserve children period. A smack is to train your child not to be a danger to themselves or other people NOT to make a parent's life easier. It is a last resort but used in loving homes across the UK and even in some supermarkets and shopping centres because that's where cars are located and they are dangerous especially to a disobedient or pouting toddler or infant!

I hope that's clear before you escalate this again for your own amusement

Last edited by BigD on 22-Dec-2018 at 02:27 AM.
Last edited by BigD on 22-Dec-2018 at 02:24 AM.
Last edited by BigD on 22-Dec-2018 at 02:20 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle