Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 153 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  57 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 djnick:  2 hrs 17 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 33 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  3 hrs 11 mins ago
 kolla:  5 hrs 30 mins ago
 Hammer:  5 hrs 42 mins ago
 amigakit:  6 hrs 23 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  6 hrs 26 mins ago
 pixie:  6 hrs 34 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Why I stayed with the Amiga
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
khayoz 
Re: Why I stayed with the Amiga
Posted on 22-Dec-2018 2:56:36
#41 ]

@BigD
Quote:
Merry Christmas fishy_fis and khayoz and remember that Jesus IS the reason for the season whether you acknowledge it or not.

... back on topic. I stuck with the Amiga because it really is the most logical and sensibly designed home computer that ever was. It is fun to use and MOST of the time brings together people of all world views and backgrounds.

Wasn't so hard was it? To stay on topic.

Profile     Report this post  
Snorg 
Posted on 22-Dec-2018 3:31:39
#42 ]

@fishy_fis

Quote:

fishy_fis wrote:

... one of those completely mindless religious nutjobs who believe and support everything in the bible (even though God himself is painted as an absolute twat in the bible, clowns like this are still too stupid to think for themselves

Violence in the OT is descriptive, not prescriptive, with the exception of eradicating those who practiced child sacrifice. Yes, portions of the OT law were harsh, but it was a volitional social contract formulated to deal with a brutish, violent people. For all of the criticism today, for an otherwise unfeeling populace, an eye for an eye does communicate the pain of suffering to those who perpetrate violence, rather than re-victimizing those who suffer violence with indifference. Eventually something far better came, when there grew a palpable hunger for something better.

fishy_fis, such diatribes are colorful and candid, but utterly misguided.

Happy computing, in any case.

g0blin 
Posted on 22-Dec-2018 11:04:29
#43 ]
Cult Member

@Snorg

Quote:
Happy computing, in any case.

+1

Cybersphere Page

tommysammy 
Posted on 22-Dec-2018 13:03:01
#44 ]
Cult Member

Because my Amjga600/Vampire 2 rocks. Best Amiga i ever used

Hypex 
Posted on 22-Dec-2018 16:04:30
#45 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
You just took Christ out of Christmas

In reference to "Merry Xmas" I met a Christian recently who acually considers this season of the year to be Xmas. An abomination of Christmas. Because it isn't the time frame that Jesus was born in. Since this would be considered to be in the spring time when shepherds were tending to flocks outside.

I've come across a few who don't acknowledge it at all. And are most annoyed at Christmas decorations in church. Fair enough with the pagan origins. Jesus wasn't born in a pine tree.

I'm rather annoyed the exact date is unknown. Since the "begat" dating system may have been acceptable back then but we are more picky these days. I know I am. Couldn't they have just written down the date on a tablet or something? So yes, there can be disputes as to celebrating the bitrh of Jesus on the 25th of December (and 24th in some parts), but it has become the industry standard. It's been described to me as being like the Queen's birthday. Because, we don't celebrate the Queen on her actual birthday, we celebrate it on another date.

Hypex 
Posted on 22-Dec-2018 16:08:25
#46 ]
Elite Member

@Trekiej

Quote:
Merry Christmas.

Merry Christians!

Arnie 
Posted on 22-Dec-2018 16:57:53
#47 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

Quote:

Couldn't they have just written down the date on a tablet.

I don't think Ipads or Android devices were around in those days .

Anyway enough religion rubbish and to answer the question of the thread, as per the other thread to why I left Amiga. I am in a kind of limbo so haven't really stayed or left. So I'm in the spooky paradox of the in between world.

broadblues 
Posted on 22-Dec-2018 17:02:52
#48 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Hypex

"We" don't even know what year he was born let alone what date of the year. Mathew and Luke are both inetrnally and externallly contradictory and also make cliams which ciontradict fairly established roman history (Romand being quite good at beauricracy the year of emperers, loal kings, cenuses (or not) are well documented).

A long read but kind of ineteresting if you are ineterested.

https://www.drabruzzi.com/when_was_jesus_born.htm

PS I've stayed with AmigaOS as I like the way it feels and have been able to extend the available software to suit my needs.....

Snorg 
Posted on 22-Dec-2018 20:41:06
#49 ]

@broadblues

I've read to exhaustion on the subject, and such sweeping statements are, themselves, false - or perhaps misleading would be a more fair way to put it. However, such conversations can be productive if we maintain a measure of both skepticism and open-mindedness ... in another forum.

Back on topic please allow me to say that, many moons ago I co-owned an A500, I then owned an A2000, and finally an A1200. Except for the A500, they were second-hand machines and by then "obsolete."

After the A2000, I used a PC not because I liked it, but because I could afford a *cheap* clone while working my way through university. I've followed the Amiga all these years, off and on, hoping that the untapped potential could somehow be realized. More and more I see that hope in the rear-view mirror. One might say I'm on the fence, but I'm not: I have no expectations, but there yet remains some good. That's one reason why I decided this year to participate in these conversations - because, as we've seen, if we work together amazing things can happen. If we continue to disparage one another, we undermine all that has and all that could be accomplished.

Lastly, I've developed software for many, many years. I would like to be able to justify a time and financial investment in the Amiga but, for me, I have other commitments which must take priority. Still, I say this to encourage you all to appreciate and enjoy what you have. I'm not an Amiga user, but I will always be an Amigan.

Barana 
Posted on 23-Dec-2018 0:11:57
#50 ]
Cult Member

@broadblues

That subject has been studied and chronologised quite a bit, as demonstrated effectively in the Chronological gospels, He was born during the feast of Tabernacles, and the date was changed by the sun worshipping roman emperors.... If you can't beat em, marry em. Everything else is dead traditionalism that belongs with dead atheism.

@tommysammy

Do you have an NG PPC Amiga? How does it rate against ppc? Im interested to know!

@fishy fizzer
you really need to apologise for your severely inappropriate abuse. You are out of line.and have a filthy little mouth,Mexican. (An Australian cultural reference, indicating I too am Aussie,and I have 'his number')
I wonder where you got such a filthy mouth from? Probably from kissing your bosses/greens/labour bum.

Seriously you need to apologise.

P.s. I need to apologise also, I see that you are the politically correct type, I may have assumed your gender as at last count there's something like 63 genders according to the party line! It is a confusing doctrine, so I just apologise for assuming your gender.

PPS Note that I Don't follow Political Correctness, as it is a construct invented by Chairman Mao of the Chinese atheist Communist party.I know my gender,I know Yehovah,and don't waste time in political atheist religion.

Last edited by Barana on 23-Dec-2018 at 01:24 AM.
Last edited by Barana on 23-Dec-2018 at 01:21 AM.
Last edited by Barana on 23-Dec-2018 at 01:20 AM.
Last edited by Barana on 23-Dec-2018 at 12:44 AM.
Last edited by Barana on 23-Dec-2018 at 12:35 AM.
Last edited by Barana on 23-Dec-2018 at 12:28 AM.

I serve King Jesus.
What/who do you serve?

Barana 
Posted on 23-Dec-2018 0:25:14
#51 ]
Cult Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
No one knows when Jesus was born.

https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/questions/when-was-jesus-born/

Dear respected nuts about Amiga, I believe that education trumps traditionalism. Often that traditionalism is what people swallow without researching, many atheists swallow the party line without researching and asking 'yes, but is it true?' Many Christians do this, and also catholics do it too.
As you can see here, we do know (if we can count) Jesus birth.
https://www.luziusschneider.com/Papers/JesusDateOfBirth.htm
Both atheists and Christians have a hard time counting in many realms, including easter, the pagan festival , in the English speaking world created to replace passover.....
Now I come to think of it, how DO we get three days and three nights from easter Fri to easter sun?
Traditionalism mate, on both sides of the fence, will kill.

Last edited by Barana on 23-Dec-2018 at 12:26 AM.

I serve King Jesus.
What/who do you serve?

Barana 
Posted on 23-Dec-2018 1:17:57
#52 ]
Cult Member

Last edited by Barana on 23-Dec-2018 at 01:18 AM.

I serve King Jesus.
What/who do you serve?

simplex 
Posted on 23-Dec-2018 3:36:07
#53 ]
Cult Member

@Fellow followers of Christ

Quote:
You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your heavenly Father, for he makes his sun rise on the bad and the good, and causes rain to fall on the just and the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what recompense will you have? Do not the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet your brothers only, what is unusual about that? Do not the pagans do the same? So be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect.

In another place,

Quote:
Always be ready to give an explanation to anyone who asks you for a reason for your hope, but do it with gentleness and reverence, keeping your conscience clear, so that, when you are maligned, those who defame your good conduct in Christ may themselves be put to shame.

In another,

Quote:
Whoever is not against us is for us.

Before you hit "publish," think really hard about whether the words you type reflect these injunctions, and whether someone unfamiliar with the faith would conclude that you lived your life according to these passages.

Really hard.

Barana 
Posted on 23-Dec-2018 4:15:01
#54 ]
Cult Member

@simplex

Its been said , simplex that self criticism is effective only in context.

I serve King Jesus.
What/who do you serve?

kolla 
Posted on 23-Dec-2018 13:11:12
#55 ]
Elite Member

Merry (pagan, christian, whatever... ) Yule to everyone!

(I am so happy that our (Scandinavian) word for this holiday season doesn't have any religious connection - I recommend for everyone else to adopt the word "Yule" and be done with it)

Hypex 
Posted on 23-Dec-2018 15:34:46
#56 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

A problem I see with this kind of in depth study is that there are as much experts with a website claiming the bible is historically inaccurate as there are other experts claiming it is historically accurate. So where do you draw the line? You ether have to place your trust somewhere along those lines or become a scholar yourself and not trust anyone. I favour the later but I lack the time. So the next best thing is finding historians who are regarded as reliable. After all, it's "his story."

Hypex 
Posted on 23-Dec-2018 15:42:49
#57 ]
Elite Member

@Arnie

Quote:
I don't think Ipads or Android devices were around in those days .

LOL!

I must respond in kind.

Hypex 
Posted on 23-Dec-2018 16:19:50
#58 ]
Elite Member

@khayoz

Quote:
Thats how I'm rollin, if it was up to me then I would cancel all religious holidays!

Really? So you would be happy working rather than taking the day off?

To give my answer is going to be hard to summarise in a short manner. Because every story I starts tends to blow up in size.But it's late, I should be in bed, I'll give it a shot.

So, I had my A1200 almost ten years, spent $2,500 inclusive on it and almost had nothing to show for it. I was left with an Amiga with a 40Mhz 030, AGA only and a drive tower for HDD and CD drives. It was slow, I should have upgraded to a BlizarrdPPC when they were on special. But it needed a tower to complicate it. And I just stuck with it while waiting for something to happen with the Amiga after Commodore died.

Well as it turns out they played handball with the Amiga technology and gave it the run around to the point they left it too late to bring back. So I had to give up on a fantastic new Amiga being released and instead waited on the hope of some new Amiga inspired machine coming into being.

This turned out to be the AmigaOne XE. I weighed up the pros and cons. Should I buy into it or leave and convert to a Mac? I agreed with Gordon Harwood's that the closest to the Amiga was a Mac, not only in the OS, but because it was already on the NG PowerPC CPU. The XE was close to an eMac, similar specs. Should I buy an eMac? An eMac was $1,500 and all integrated. An XE setup would cost me $2,000. but would be expandable.

I decided on the XE. I had unfinished business on the Amiga. I had waited for so long. Why should I give up all my Amiga projects and intellectual property contained in my Amiga data files and join the in crowd? It wasn't on. The XE would allow me to continue my Amiga programming and interest in Amiga music.

So I setup an XE to take the place of my A1200. As my Amiga A1200 is the last real Amiga I actually have it can never be replaced. But my king needed to step down from his throne and pass the crown on. He had served his time well.

The X1000 soon came along. And I began the jouney again with another AmigaOne machine. IIRC it cost $2,500 to setup so lacked the price/performance the XE gave. It's only this year it has become my full time A1. The XE lasted so long and served me well, but it was getting slow and I was forced to decommission it when it played up badly in one week. It would proably still be number one if it didn't play up. So the X1000 has taken it's place. My XE is taking a holiday so doesn't consider itself replaced.

Why I stayed? I liked the Workbench. It has the familiar look and Amiga feel. I can continue my work. I beleive we should have a choice in these matters. Over time, the machines last, and for an extended period you can get your moneys worth.

In future I hope the PPC laptop comes to fruition and that Talos becomes a new business partner for AEON.

* All dollars in AUD.

Last edited by Hypex on 23-Dec-2018 at 04:29 PM.

AdvancedFollower 
Posted on 23-Dec-2018 16:53:00
#59 ]

I'm enjoying the Amiga for what it is today, a retro-computer just like the C64, Atari ST etc. I got caught up in the hype of the AmigaOne, OS4 and other "next-gen" systems, but progress is too slow and unreliable. So I continue to use my Win10 PC for gaming, audio production, browsing the modern web etc. but occasionally I like to fire up an old Amiga game and pretend it's still the early 90's.
The only new Amiga related hardware that's interesting to me is the Vampire V4, especially the stand-alone. That will be like having a brand new "ultimate" 68k Amiga, with enough performance for all classic Amiga stuff and no worries about bursting caps or dying IC's.

Trekiej 
Posted on 24-Dec-2018 3:34:31
#60 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

I like it. That is cool.

John 3:16

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle