Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 120 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 agami:  1 hr ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 Seiya:  3 hrs 54 mins ago
 matthey:  4 hrs 16 mins ago
 Rob:  5 hrs 26 mins ago
 vox:  5 hrs 30 mins ago
 kolla:  6 hrs 24 mins ago
 mbrantley:  6 hrs 26 mins ago
 pixie:  6 hrs 49 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Unstable X5000
Register To Post

PosterThread
amigasociety 
Unstable X5000
Posted on 23-Dec-2018 0:27:53
#1 ]
Cult Member

I am guessing Enhancer 1.4 and its many add-ons could be a culprit but can't say for sure.

I have a fairly fresh Amiga OS 4.1FE install on my X5K and did all the Enhancer 1.4 on top of it. Guessing quite a few Amigans do the same since the purchase of the X5K from some dealers comes with the Enhancer. I normally have Candi running.

I seem to get frequent lock-ups when I do the following...

Turn on X5K... launch Wookie or AmIRC, launch AmigaAmp 3.23, and as music starts I grab AmigaAmp window to reposition on my screen, and as I move the app the system freezes. Music still plays but I lose control of doing anything else.... no cursor, nothing. Only a hard reboot takes care of it.

I can get the same thing to happen in TuneNet 2.9 also.

Most the time I use only a few apps after turning on my X. Wookie, Odyssey, and music from either AmigaAmp or TuneNet.

Anyone else experience this kind of issue?

I may do a new install and NOT install Enhancer and see if I can get the same music related crash but before I do so, figured it would not hurt to ask here.

TJ

Last edited by amigasociety on 23-Dec-2018 at 01:01 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
amigasociety 
Re: Unstable X5000
Posted on 23-Dec-2018 3:23:35
#2 ]
Cult Member

May have answered my own question. Appears to be Wookie that is the culprit for my issue. Was the common app that I always ran.

Testing going well. Switching between AmigaAmp and TuneNet... move all around with Odyssey, AmIRC running. So, if it keeps like this, could be Wookie will finally be over for me. Have used it for years. Only change I can think of is on-board ethernet versus NIC. Had been on NIC until about 2 months ago when the on-board ethernet became available. Switched to on-board and things did get unsettled but got worse. Maybe coincidence. Right now appears Wookie is it and why I would lock up when using these apps in question.

TJ

tonyw 
Posted on 23-Dec-2018 5:30:14
#3 ]
Elite Member

@amigasociety

Isn't that always the way? You wrack your brains for days over a problem and finally decide to ask the world if they've seen it before.

Five minutes after posting the question, you find the answer and fix it, feeling foolish.

Happens to me all the time.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

amigasociety 
Posted on 23-Dec-2018 7:32:19
#4 ]
Cult Member

@tonyw

Indeed.

Wookie of course, as well as AmIRC, are quite old but both have always worked for me. Wookie was my preferred. Seldom used AmIRC but always have on my drive.

Could have swore I tested AmIRC before and had the same lock up but maybe since it happened so much it was a fluke.

Glad I went back to switching to a different app to see.

Looks like it may be time for Wookie to be laid to rest for use on my systems.

TJ

amigakit 
Posted on 23-Dec-2018 8:59:50
#5 ]
Amiga Kit

@amigasociety

The Enhancer Software 1.4 is stable and mature software. It is used widely by many hundreds of users here and improvements are made frequently and quickly.

amigasociety 
Posted on 23-Dec-2018 18:49:29
#6 ]
Cult Member

@amigakit

Can AmigaKit please tell us owners of the X5K what exact model sound card you are selling and recommend for 100% compatibility with Amiga OS 4.1 that comes shipped with our X5Ks?

If I can start at the exact base AmigaKit recommends would make my life easier.

Regards

TJ

Trixie 
Posted on 23-Dec-2018 19:06:45
#7 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@amigasociety

Quote:
Can AmigaKit please tell us owners of the X5K what exact model sound card you are selling and recommend for 100% compatibility with Amiga OS 4.1

I don't know what AmigaKit are shipping with their pre-built systems, but I use the ESI Juli@ PCI soundcard in my X5000, and it works wonders. The sound is crisp and clear, and the signal/noise ratio is very good. The card has flexible I/O configuration: you can either use unbalanced RCA (cinch) connectors, or you can flip the card's detachable I/O socket and use balanced TRS connectors. I feed the card's output into a TASCAM LM-8S line mixer using balanced connection, and my Amiga never sounded better.

Unfortunately, the PCI Juli@ is now discontinued. There is a PCI-e version, the Juli@ XTe, but I have no idea if or how it works in the X5000.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle