Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 148 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  28 mins ago
 DWolfman:  38 mins ago
 cncparts:  2 hrs 11 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  2 hrs 57 mins ago
 Beajar:  3 hrs 16 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 19 mins ago
 agami:  4 hrs 22 mins ago
 RobertB:  4 hrs 42 mins ago
 OlafS25:  5 hrs 32 mins ago
 Bruce72:  5 hrs 33 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Time to sell...? (Pegasos2 G4)
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Tuxedo 
Time to sell...? (Pegasos2 G4)
Posted on 14-Jan-2019 21:16:56
#1 ]
Elite Member

Hi there...
I'm seriously thinking to sell my good old Pegasos2 and swtich to some standard PC...I really need some things like using Google drive/render blender projects fastly and easly, browse the net without heaaches...write an email also was a problem...

Unfortunately AmigaOS today(and yesterday too...) cant do that.

I used AmigaOS as my main system for years and also in last years I tryed to use it as much as possible, but lifes changes and new things comes...my baby, my work was every day much complex and need to manage things fastly and without lose time...

Today mostly I use my android phone or tablet to do much of that so...where's the sense of continuing with that pain?

I'm really sad for that but I've room for only one computer on my desk so mostly decided to sell the Pegasos and switch it with a quite powerfull pc to, maybe, use AmigaOS4 under emulation(I hope)...

I write here cause dont know how to ask for it:

Pegasos2 g4@1131 with 1GB RAM
Radeon9000pro 128MB
HDD 80 GB
CD/DVD burner/reader
nice case

Any help was welcome.

Again sorry guys but really cant see a future...no new "serious" software, the OS was at pole from years and noone say anythig...
The new hw projects was pretty ridiculous and/or dated(like Tabor)...still dont see the meaning of doing so crap hardware in 2018...

PS still hoping to see some sort of enanched emulator to run AmigaOS4(and maybe someone developong a better OS on top of it) like WInUAE was for AmigaOS3.9...

Profile     Report this post  
jPV 
Re: Time to sell...? (Pegasos2 G4)
Posted on 15-Jan-2019 6:05:26
#2 ]
Cult Member

@Tuxedo

Quote:

Tuxedo wrote:
Hi there...
I'm seriously thinking to sell my good old Pegasos2 and swtich to some standard PC...I really need some things like using Google drive/render blender projects fastly and easly, browse the net without heaaches...write an email also was a problem...

Unfortunately AmigaOS today(and yesterday too...) cant do that.

How about trying MorphOS on your Peg2? It has better solutions for email (Iris is a new IMAP/HTML capable client), browsing is probably little better (at least I've got the impression OWB is more stable under MorphOS and plays videos better with overlay etc). Google drive should work as well with Amiga Cloud Handlers just like on OS4, Blender probably is the same kind of experience...

It might get some extra time with your Peg, if you want to stay with an Amiga-compatible operating system still. But of course it doesn't do miracles compared to fast PCs either and cheap/free Macs would be twice the power of Peg2 for it too, but if you still like Amiga way of doing things in the OS level rather than Windozes/Linuxes...

monstercoder 
Posted on 15-Jan-2019 7:24:01
#3 ]

There's always room for one more computer
But you should sell the pegasos for around 3-400 euro.
You seems to have realized that the stuff you listed are not fun doing on amigaos or cloneOS because they simply lack the software and power to do it in a good way.
It's just a waste of time.

For the money you collect from the selling you can buy a vampire and unleash the raw power from the classic amigaos.
It will ofcourse also be a crippled experience when it comes to doing the stuff you listed but you should only do amigastuff on it and keep the windows stuff to your new computer like any sane person would do.

tlosm 
Posted on 15-Jan-2019 10:17:16
#4 ]
Elite Member

@Tuxedo

dont do that ... im cry every day because i sold my peggy...
it is a must and have to stay at your home .
For me the best NG machine done.

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

PR 
Posted on 15-Jan-2019 13:20:46
#5 ]

Side by side spanking pc for net and XE sharing the kb, monitor and mouse.

Still waiting. Could not sell as mb redone and made to run. I feel the pain as waited also too long for the proggies. A bit of an expensive hobby with 10+ retros too.

Keeper.

It would be a good earning to make the net more avail. Maybe everyone would buy. Too rich people.

IB can not be bought, DP, Drivers.. Long time ago swiched but it is good to go back and if something comes up.

Last edited by PR on 15-Jan-2019 at 01:24 PM.

Zylesea 
Posted on 15-Jan-2019 14:40:43
#6 ]
Elite Member

@Tuxedo

I would rather get a cheap laptop (I buy 2nd hand quality brands usually) additonally to you Peg2. If that laptop fully replaces the Peg2, then sell it off. But if you instead realize you still like the Peg2 you'll still have it.

For browsing and doing usual stuff a basic laptop is pretty enough. You should easily get an 8GB RAM i3/5 laptop for about 150 EUR (or 200 if you go for ssd). I usually buy from professional 2nd hand sellers.

As for the Peg2: I also suggest to run MorphOS on it to make it a bit more powerful. Odyssey on MorphOS is more stable, has a good video replay functionality and with the lastest fixes some ssl and redirection erros (google account!) are working fine again. It's easly to run as additional installation beside OS4.

pavlor 
Posted on 15-Jan-2019 15:40:40
#7 ]
Elite Member

@Tuxedo

Not worth the money.

Don´t sell Pegasos, OS4/MorphOS emulation on PC is too slooow/limited in comparison and improvement in this regard is as far as OS5. In few month, you will (highly probably) regret that decision.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 15-Jan-2019 17:23:23
#8 ]
Elite Member

@Tuxedo

Quote:
Again sorry guys but really cant see a future...no new "serious" software,

It just extremely hard to write bug free software on system without memory protection and update and working development tools. This is part of the problem. 2en problem is lack of cooperation between developers, it worked in larger teams and acted more like professionals, and we get a lot more done.

The lack of common API for Classic AmigaOS3.1.4 and AmigaOS4. was missed opportunity, they had chance to add support for large file, this allow common API for DOS.library, making it easier to port between AmigaOS3.1.4 and AmigaOS4.x

For example if AEON actually started working stuff that is useful instead trying to compete with Hyperion. If there was some cooperation between Cloanto and Hyperion regarding emulation, instead if backstabbing etch other,
If there was cooperation between AROS/MorphOS/AmigaOS for office applications, web browsers and stuff like that.

If users where not down talking etch others platforms, and instead focused on improving what they have.

The Amiga community is destructive to it self and toxic to outsiders.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 15-Jan-2019 at 08:00 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 15-Jan-2019 at 08:00 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 15-Jan-2019 at 05:57 PM.

Tuxedo 
Posted on 15-Jan-2019 19:54:05
#9 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

completely agree with you!

Amiga guys itself ik slowly killing AmigaOSes.........
And everyone "trying" to support Amiga seems to work for itself only...sure, someone have to work to make a profit, but if you made something on that platform only for profit without loving it where's the point? Really someone nowdays can live working only on Amiga?

@thread

Thank you for reply(on casual order):

- If I sell the Pegasos 2 was only because I use it really few times in a year....I switch it on probably 1/2 times ad month considering whole year...and mainly when I switch it on I load blender or CycasCAD, dont seems a bit weird?

- The only real pro program I can see on AmigaOS today was Hollywood, really GREAT program! Andreas was a superhero, but I have always less time and, btw, I can use it also on Windows.

- I already have MOS installed on my Pegasos2 I rarely use it but never get the Amiga feeling on it sorry...but yes, it was really much optimized than AmigaOS and, generally, programs looks much professional on it...btw

I'm really demotivated on Hyperion/AEON/AmiKit way of doing things...I know difficulties, I know few money resources, I know good proposal...but dont see something done for community...one lacks communication, one doing things like if only for itselfs, onre dunno...

Still hoping, as writed above, to see some nice emulator one day...something that will work at least 3 times faster than x5000, with a decent browser, some nice app to use(not only Hollywood or Tower57) and an advanced AmigaOS with loads of features...

Dreaming is free btw

EDIT: another thing...no news for ages...lets look at AmigaWorld or amigans main page...few, light and RARE news...once on main page news lines was really changed every few days, now we can have quite a month on it...AmNET was quite empty(look at stat page...), all bad things...

Last edited by Tuxedo on 15-Jan-2019 at 07:58 PM.

PR 
Posted on 16-Jan-2019 5:55:17
#10 ]

Well agreed. Still keeping the XE OS4,1 and 2 if comes out.

Reality marched in a local shop, no marmour plates there.

Two boys asked what do You wan't from the computer?

Ok so this was my time. Amigalike but compatible powerful for libre, net and some games maybe and drawing.

Rendering tower they build up for me Really Great Military Specs i7 whatever processor, loads of mem and expandable as they see the Amiga Hobby Guy knows this stuff, and the os, well Win7 was the best for all proggies and speed. Some 650e. Built forward to A1200 pcmcia et all to swap.

(Multiuso and the A1299 is hd &turboed&all that can be possible;)

Nice to these guys they seem to understand that the other one knows a lot of these too so facts at the table and no cheating. Prices are, well they discounted strait and for the service happy to pay.

Amiga NG+pc+... besides. I hate pc but it is very fast as tuned properly. Would like to up the NG.

Thai Killer Apps. No more choice as an user. Work must be done and printers to work fast.

Just My Opinion. Professional very tuned Win 7 when waiting for the AOS.. Really this plat has done serious damage to itself as fighting. How stupid is that? Don't know and in the future don't care if nothing happens.

Still buying the apps and OS, last chance from here in a very near future or money taps are closed for good.

Last edited by PR on 16-Jan-2019 at 06:07 AM.
Last edited by PR on 16-Jan-2019 at 06:04 AM.
Last edited by PR on 16-Jan-2019 at 06:00 AM.
Last edited by PR on 16-Jan-2019 at 05:56 AM.

TiredofLife 
Posted on 16-Jan-2019 20:01:45
#11 ]

@Tuxedo

I sold an A500 plus to buy an A1200 many years ago.
Always wished I could have kept both.
Recently bought another another A500 plus.

Your child will get older and you find you will have a bit more time again for hobbies.
Don't sell it unless you need the money.

Cheers

utri007 
Posted on 16-Jan-2019 22:46:12
#12 ]

Amiga is a hobby. My Amiga OS4 machine is web machine of my "retro room". I use it to download stuff for COmmodores, 64, 128, 16, 4 Plus, and Sinclair, Spectravideo, Memotech, MSX, Amstrad, etc Computers. I even donwload stuff to my NAS and copy them to my Amiga OS3.9 machines. I have 5 amigas LAN, ih my hobby room.

So I don't wait any kind of come back, but I hope that Amiga OS4 envolves and there is a new hardware for it.

Generally saying I'm very happy with my Amiga OS4 machine and I'll buy A1222 tabor when it is released.

It is all about expections.

Last edited by utri007 on 16-Jan-2019 at 10:46 PM.

PR 
Posted on 16-Jan-2019 22:57:00
#13 ]

Got a few friends that lost the Amiga and they regret it.

In this hobby A500 a few, different A1200's , XE and Amigagirls like them so much.

Never selling.

amigang 
Posted on 17-Jan-2019 10:20:13
#14 ]
Elite Member

I must admit mid 2018, I did think of selling my X1000 and having similar thoughts, my dream had always been to own a NG Amiga, and when I got it and played around with it I enjoyed it a lot getting back into the OS and just the general feeling in the community in 2012/13 there was hope, the fact x1000 sold out, Timberwolf was ported, openoffice was just down the road, other big program got updates Blender etc. But in the last few year I feel Os4 is a bit on life support, maybe it always has been (alot of people would think the whole community is on life support) and at the beginning of 2018 I was busy with work and other hobbies and so my AmigaOne X1000 didn't get turned on for nearly 6months!

When the thought pop into my head, I thought well I like a few more weeks/ months playing around with the system and make my judgement then, so I did and it made me think I will likely never sell the machine, because it is just a bit of fun/hobby machine it lets me escape windows 10 and let me step back into time to a place where things make sense, I would love an uptodate browser as I think that is the number one reason why I dont step into that world more often, but do enjoy playing around on the OS, updating my app, and playing a few classic.

So I would do the same make some time, play around with it for a week or two then if you feel the same maybe sell it. If keeping it I would suggest a micro ITX PC maybe even running linux under your monitor as it doesn't sound like you requirements are two big and linux runs much faster on low spec PC for these tasks.

Last edited by amigang on 17-Jan-2019 at 10:26 AM.

tlosm 
Posted on 17-Jan-2019 13:35:10
#15 ]
Elite Member

@tuxedo
Pm here dont work i see only white text i dont know when i make reply you see my text

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

nikosidis 
Posted on 17-Jan-2019 14:24:48
#16 ]
Cult Member

Like most say. It is a chance you will regret selling it. There is also a chance as a hobby OS there will be more fun buying a Vampire or some cheaper AROS hardware like the Laptop "DELL D520" as I have lots of fun with. As a NG platform the Pegasos2 G4 is not exactly up to many tasks required today, and will be less so in the future.
If seams to me that "Hollywood" is the only software you realy enjoy and it is as you already know on other platforms.

Last edited by nikosidis on 17-Jan-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Last edited by nikosidis on 17-Jan-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Last edited by nikosidis on 17-Jan-2019 at 02:27 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 17-Jan-2019 14:56:55
#17 ]
Elite Member

i would sell.

seriously.

take advantage of every opportunity, when you feel confident enough to get rid of some gear that only occupies place around you and holds back your attention. luckily i dont have any "amiga ng" stuff. but i have enough amiga stuff that i cant decide to let go, under excuse that i might need to test this or that. i have even decided against getting vampire, just in order not to get dragged into another addiction, except that now someone borrowed me one and i have to take care of it.. sigh..

Tuxedo 
Posted on 17-Jan-2019 19:26:17
#18 ]
Elite Member

@thread

thank you for replying guys, reading your posts I think that you missunderstood my post...The main problem was that I never liked retrocomputing...
For retrocomputing was enough a single machine with emluators...I used my AmigaOS4 machines (before A1SE and than Peg2) to do all my task till possible and used it as my main machine...
that till about 2014 after that I was really busy with my little childand work and life...and used my AmigaOS machine not so much...
I tryed to use it sometime(rarely)...the main problem was that using it rarely and connecting to Amigaland rarely...
But that was usefull to see that Amiga sites was every time with less news and posts in forums...
In 2013/2014 news was often in a week and also in forums the posts was nicely updated and the post list was full of new posts every few minutes, connecting rarely instead I get that every time few posts/news was here...
Every time less and less important news here...

The main problem was only that once I used to use AmigaOS4 for almost every thing I need, now simply wasnt possible...and I not interested in retrocmputing as stated above...only in emulating it...

Btw still hoping that AmigaOS4 will be emulated nicely and faster than on real hardware and with AmigaOS4 updates...too much dreams?

JimIgou 
Posted on 19-Jan-2019 0:03:04
#19 ]

@Tuxedo

Quote:
Btw still hoping that AmigaOS4 will be emulated nicely and faster than on real hardware and with AmigaOS4 updates...too much dreams?

Under AmigaForever? Yes, unfortunately that emulates an Amiga with a PPC card. Actually X64 isn't that great at emulating a PPC, but given some more time we may see a decent emulation of the X5000 via QEMU (also, someone targeted the SAM460 in a similar fashion a couple of years ago).

Last edited by JimIgou on 19-Jan-2019 at 12:03 AM.

Tuxedo 
Posted on 19-Jan-2019 17:56:40
#20 ]
Elite Member

@JimIgou

I know the QEM project for emulating Sam460, and also know the WinUAE CyberStormPPC emulation.
Also un WinUAE semms quite easy to put Virge support if Toni wants.

BTW no matter wich type of CPU/system we can emulate, the important thing was the speed and a decent gfx driver with pass-trough or Virge/some 3D mulation/wrapper so we can have a quite real AmigaOS4 machine emulation...

The target to achieve I think was something like Amithlon so a good cpu emulation ad a real gfx card/hw support of the machine where emulation works...

And the QEMU project seems like that...

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle