Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 167 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

miggymac

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 miggymac:  4 mins ago
 Gunnar:  33 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 33 mins ago
 DWolfman:  2 hrs 42 mins ago
 cncparts:  4 hrs 15 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  5 hrs 1 min ago
 Beajar:  5 hrs 20 mins ago
 Rob:  5 hrs 23 mins ago
 agami:  6 hrs 26 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  sil 3112 - 3114 and problem
Register To Post

PosterThread
ghillo 
sil 3112 - 3114 and problem
Posted on 25-Jan-2019 20:37:28
#1 ]

Hello, even with the new HD 1Tb I was again the problem after a few days. : sbam:: sbam:
Restart the A1 from the CD of AmigaOS4.1 Final Edition, load the Live and from there in mediatoolbox I try to reinstall and repartition the HD. But nothing to do is not able to write the changes on the RDB by mistake in sector 0, I try to redo the operations but the computer crashes when I try to write or save with MediaToolBox and then unlock after several seconds (perhaps up to a minute). Snervato and inc .... to: ultraincaz: I try to pull out a sil3114 that I had taken but could not see the HD and so I had always taken from EBay the 3112 that I'm using. I insert it in place of the 3112 restart the sata HD is not seen by UBoot or UBoot does not see the Sil I do not know, I start the CD of 4.1 and I go in MTB and to my amazement I see the 3114 and also the HD, install and partition the HD without problems and install 4.1 Final from CD and then Update1, control from OS4 via UBoot settings and put all 4 channels of sil as HD and udma6. Restarting but nothing from UBoot does not let me see the HD I do not understand if it does not see the magnetic media or if it does not see the PCI card. Then reinstall the 3112 and I'm currently using it without problems (or at least I hope, text the system for a few days then we see).
In your opinion, it can be a problem of the sil all these problems of errors on block 0, missed starts of the system etc. ? I noticed that even with the 3112 on port 1 I do not see the HD instead on 0 yes. I could try on 3114 if there is also a door that works. from UBoot I saw that all the ports are active as a parameter, do you need to set something else?
Hello and I await your answers.

Profile     Report this post  
BigD 
Re: sil 3112 - 3114 and problem
Posted on 25-Jan-2019 20:48:59
#2 ]
Elite Member

@ghillo

Wasn't Sil the female alien in Species?

Quote:
I try to reinstall and repartition the HD. But nothing to do is not able to write the changes on the RDB by mistake in sector 0, I try to redo the operations but the computer crashes when I try to write or save with MediaToolBox

Nasty. I'm going to install OS3.9 on a new (old stock) SCSI drive this evening so I hope things proceed better for me. Oh well at least your not being pursued by Sil from Species

tonyw 
Posted on 25-Jan-2019 21:28:28
#3 ]
Elite Member

@ghillo

What is your machine?

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

ghillo 
Posted on 25-Jan-2019 21:50:50
#4 ]

@tonyw

AmigaOne G3 XE , 1Gb Ram, Radeon9250 256Mb, HD Pata 40Gb, HD Sata 1Tb ,Card USB2.0 and Card FireWire

BigD 
Posted on 26-Jan-2019 5:28:22
#5 ]
Elite Member

@ghillo

Sadly no my Hard Drive replacement job was not straight forward and I've just finished The replacement SCSI drive only worked reliably for the first 3 GB of a 18 GB drive. A bit disappointing but good enough for my needs I guess. I've had to low level format it three times when the formating process hung on the fourth partition every time and seemingly bricked the whole drive so OS3.9's HDToolbox couldn't even analyse it! I had to dig out my original 3.1 disks to even allow me to low level format it. Disk Salv doesn't seem to scan the scsi.device for hard drives so that was useless. On the flip side, it doesn't squeal like the old one did so it's a major upgrade on that basis!

Next time a HD dies I'll get a SCSI2SD V6 and banish these old drives permanently. Checksum errors are too common and backing up partitions becomes a chore on these slow old unreliable drives.

P.S. I also lost a case screw

... but my 'miggy is back up and running with only minimal files lost after the HD burn out.

Last edited by BigD on 26-Jan-2019 at 05:32 AM.

tonyw 
Posted on 26-Jan-2019 10:24:07
#6 ]
Elite Member

@ghillo

If you are running an XE, that would explain why some SATA cards don't work under U-Boot. The version of U-Boot in those machines did not support SATA cards, only parallel IDE (and SCSI also?).

I can't remember which cards it did recognise (sii0680ide was one), and I think one of the later experimental U-Boot versions supported SATA cards sii3112 or 3114 but it was only experimental and never released.

As you have seen, once OS4 is running, it can read the SATA bus and all your SATA devices. U-Boot can't read them, so you can't boot from them.

Last edited by tonyw on 26-Jan-2019 at 10:24 AM.

ghillo 
Posted on 26-Jan-2019 11:43:36
#7 ]

@BigD

Strange that you only see 3Gb on 18, but it may be that with 3.9 you can not see partitions or HD over 4Gb, you tried to make more 'partitions that do not exceed 4Gb, maybe so you can take advantage of more' hard disk

ghillo 
Posted on 26-Jan-2019 11:48:15
#8 ]

@tonyw

t's strange what you say, in the sense that the sata card is already a long time that I have it. And I've always booted from HD sata since I installed it, and even now I'm using as boot HD and main that sata on 3112 and I boot from there.
My UBoot is version 1.1.1 (Mar 3 2005)
maybe it's kissed from that point of view but it has always worked.

BigD 
Re: Classic SCSI Drive issues!
Posted on 26-Jan-2019 18:36:14
#9 ]
Elite Member

@ghillo

Quote:
Strange that you only see 3Gb on 18, but it may be that with 3.9 you can not see partitions or HD over 4Gb

No, I can see them and attempt to format them but the system hangs as it attempts to format my HD4 partition.

HD0 = 690 MB
HD1 = 200 MB
HD2 = 2GB
HD3 = 50 MB
HD4 = 4 to 5 GB and it fails at around 45 to 55 % complete with a soft reset the only option!

Obviously by soft resetting the system the hard drive is corrupted and I have to low level format the drive (only seems possible in OS3.1) in order to try again. The system is therefore limited to HD0, HD1, HD2 and HD3 currently.

Some Questions...
1) Am I missing a stage in OS3.9?

2) Do I have to click update in HDToolbox to get the >4GB hard drive sizes since the low level format was in OS3.1.

3) Is the problem you have to use Quick Format with >4GB drives rather than Format? I've heard Format is still limited to 4GB without file system support?

A bit confused and tired as only 4 hours sleep trying to figure this out

P.S. My other SCSI drive of the same manufacturer and similar size but different model (in the same machine) has bigger partitions and I don't remember having this problem when I partitioned and formatted that drive with partitions as big as 5 to 9 GB!

Last edited by BigD on 26-Jan-2019 at 06:40 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 26-Jan-2019 at 06:37 PM.

tonyw 
Posted on 27-Jan-2019 8:54:21
#10 ]
Elite Member

@ghillo

Well, it's a long time since I had an XE and I've forgotten the details. All that I remember is that one (or two ?) of the SiI SATA cards worked, but there was one model that didn't, as U-Boot didn't support it.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle