Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 167 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

miggymac

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 miggymac:  3 mins ago
 Gunnar:  31 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 31 mins ago
 DWolfman:  2 hrs 40 mins ago
 cncparts:  4 hrs 13 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  5 hrs ago
 Beajar:  5 hrs 19 mins ago
 Rob:  5 hrs 21 mins ago
 agami:  6 hrs 24 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Flavour of Amiga OS
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Poll : Flavour of AmigaOS
Amiga OS3.9
Amiga OS 3.5
Amiga OS3.1
Amiga OS 3.1.4
Morphos
Aros
Amithlon

PosterThread
Hypex 
Re: Flavour of Amiga OS
Posted on 10-Feb-2019 15:32:11
#61 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
So what is orginal and what is clone? ;)

In this case AmigaOS is original and AROS/MorphOS are the clones. Since the poll implies AmigaOS 68K only.

Profile     Report this post  
Hypex 
Posted on 10-Feb-2019 15:42:46
#62 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

The main power of OS3.1.4 is in the ROMs. Bug fixes and being able to boot off a 64-bit partition finally. It lifts the 4GB barrier.

However, they ruined the insert disk screen by replacing the nice disk inserting anim with some old fashioned boing ball that predates OS3 in the 80's. So I'm not keen on it. OS4.1 FE boot screen also has a older fashioned logo than OS4.1.

Srtest 
Posted on 10-Feb-2019 16:39:46
#63 ]

The real os brand missing from this poll is AW's ComplainimigaOS 2.0 (1.0 of course having been beta tested elsewhere).

samo79 
Posted on 10-Feb-2019 17:09:40
#64 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
The work was basically done by two developers with signed NDA ...

Where did you get this information from ?
The programmers involved in that update was more than only two

Quote:
And what fantastic software did Hyperion exactly besides 4.x ...

It is however much more than the absolute nothingness of Cloanto ..

Quote:
The fight between Cloanto and Hyperion is basically a fight about the classic market where you can still make some money in opposite obviously the NG market so we will see how it ends.

Taking into account that we can not know the exact numbers of the NG market compared to the classic one, this is anyway a problem of the Amiga community, if we want an evolution of the platform there is no reason to continue to support the old AmigaOS3
also because no one forces users to move to AmigaOS4, there are also other modern alternatives like MorphOS and AROS

Quote:
You are not really neutral either I assume ;)

it is not a matter of being neutral or not
I'm just trying to figure out what's best for the evolution of our system
Cloanto does not seem to have the will to further develop the system (but happy to be denied of course)

At the moment the logic tells us that the ownership of AmigaOS3 that they claim will only serve to sell the old romset (and the old operating system) on their Windows's emulator ... nothing that can bring any real benefit to the evolution of our platform

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

Zylesea 
Posted on 10-Feb-2019 17:24:35
#65 ]
Elite Member

@samo79

The update was done by ThoR and Olsen. Maybe with a few other contributions. But 3.1.4 is their baby.
Just look to the accroding threads on amiga.org.

3.1.4 is technically nice and i appreciate the work by olsen and thor, but it was a mistake to sign the nda and publish via Hyperion.
I mean THEY had the product and hence were in charge to dictate the conditions... Well shot in the knee!

Zylesea 
Posted on 10-Feb-2019 17:29:06
#66 ]
Elite Member

@samo79

Quote:

samo79 wrote:
@BigD

Honestly i can understand all that happiness about Cloanto, sure it's a glorious Amiga name, but In latest 20 years I can't remember any single program (for Amiga) developed by them, except for an Amiga emulator for Windows based to UAE ...

They released the 3.X roms which are another 3.x development branch. Latest 3.X release is from 2016.
https://www.amigaforever.com/kb/16-125

OlafS25 
Posted on 10-Feb-2019 17:52:15
#67 ]
Elite Member

@Trixie

It is a legal battle between two companies with economic interests, not more not less

nobody here can predict how it will end and who will win. I can only assume that Cloanto thinks they have good chances otherwise they would not act like this. The only thing I explained is that I prefer Cloanto because to me it looks like they act more open than Hyperion, The rest has to be seen...

sorry if I have generalized...

OlafS25 
Posted on 10-Feb-2019 17:55:39
#68 ]
Elite Member

@Zylesea

yes that was what I know too and I see no reason not to believe Thomas

there were some more people involved, mainly for testing

But development was only those two

Last edited by OlafS25 on 10-Feb-2019 at 05:57 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 10-Feb-2019 18:02:01
#69 ]
Elite Member

@samo79

your system is not mine system ;)

I personal could not care less about 4.X

you do what many do they think their own thinking is what everyone thinks but that is a misunderstanding. Of course the same is true for me.

And if Cloanto would get the rights for 3.X they could open the sources and that would help to f.e. optimize Aros 68k for amiga hardware. And it would perhaps offer the chance to have hardware with "Amiga" on it.

BTW what evolution of 4.X? ;)

Last edited by OlafS25 on 10-Feb-2019 at 06:03 PM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 10-Feb-2019 at 06:02 PM.

ne_one 
Posted on 10-Feb-2019 19:00:03
#70 ]
Cult Member

@samo79

Quote:
It is however much more than the absolute nothingness of Cloanto ..

Let's be fair: Cloanto had the foresight to secure a license 20 years ago and have consistently maintained the product for which it was intended.

Hyperion was contracted to do work on the OS by Amiga and then A-EON.

Big difference.

samo79 
Posted on 10-Feb-2019 19:40:05
#71 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
your system is not mine system ;)
I personal could not care less about 4.X

Well. yours statement explains a lot about the mentality of some Amiga users, and also because it is so difficult for the community to make the Amiga world evolve like other worldwide systems
The truth is that many people think like certain stadium supporters, for or against a certain Amiga company, rather than thinking about the common good
AmigaOS4 is not only "Hyperion" but is also the result of the work of many members of the historical Amiga community. as well as MorphOS and AROS by the way
You expected improvements on OS3, but what is AmigaOS4 if not a modern evolution of the old AmigaOS3?
Today the Amiga is an ecosystem and every new incarnation is the result of the passion of what remained of the historical Amiga community

Quote:
And if Cloanto would get the rights for 3.X they could open the sources

Sure, they sued Hyperion in order to gift you the sourcecode ... comeon boy, be realistic ;-D

Last edited by samo79 on 10-Feb-2019 at 07:40 PM.

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

Srtest 
Posted on 10-Feb-2019 21:03:54
#72 ]

@samo79

Cloanto are like Disney - a buyer of rights and licenses. Only once upon a time Disney created something whereas Cloanto only used what others have done to create a profit. I don't think Hyperion are leaders of industry by any stretch of the imagination only they have done certain things which helped Amiga survive and be here with us in 2019. Cloanto has taken steps to secure its own profitabilty and then when a major company in Amigaland went there (3.1.4) to try and provide some income while providing an improvement to classic users (as evident by their own admissions), all they could do was enter into a legal standoff to protect their investment into other companies and peeps work. You can throw any legalities on this matter and the underlying situation remains - the law allows holding rights to IP without doing anything to add to said IP. As an Amigan that is a travesty to anyone who ever developed this platform or these platforms as a derivatie to the original inspiring one. Only as an Amigan I'm also not a cynic because I appreciate what it has given me so youy won't find me lurking around and trying to push my own agenda. I wish everyone here who does what he can to add something to succeed.

Then you have some stadium supporters as you refer to them who need to point the blame to divert from practically accomplishing what Cloanto had accomplished. Everything is available to produce success. There's an open sourced code base which isn't attached to 1982 design or hardware and yet somehow Hyperion is the one responsible for those shortcomings as well.

BCP 
Posted on 11-Feb-2019 2:36:58
#73 ]

@g01df1sh

My vote would have been for Amiga OS 4.1 Update 1 if it was on the list.

Amiga Response Crew Users Group
Indianapolis, IN USA

Nonefornow 
Posted on 11-Feb-2019 2:58:44
#74 ]

@Srtest

Quote:
Cloanto are like Disney - a buyer of rights and licenses. Only once upon a time Disney created something whereas Cloanto only used what others have done to create a profit.

I do not fully understand this analogy.

Disney bought brands and companies like Marvel, Pixar, and Lucasfilm (amongst others). As a result the movie industry is enjoying a large productions of films based on the characters created by those companies.

Cloanto only has released various upgrades of the amiga forever product.
Not that there is anything wrong with that approach.

But the two companies you are referring to are operating in extremely different environments.

Srtest 
Posted on 11-Feb-2019 15:47:06
#75 ]

@Nonefornow

Like I said, Disney at some point created its own mix of characters which although being controversial had something to offer for kids and maybe some grown kids.

Cloanto didn't go through that phase and skipped directly to Disney's current status as a buyer of IP rights for stuff which doesn't add anything beyond their bank accounts.

At the same time at least Hyperion produced additions which added something to the original and were instrumental in its survival if not in its prosperity. Amiga went from hero to zero like David Pleasance puts it so I guess some tried to not let it go away after the proverbial ground zero effect while others saw an opportunity for its leftovers as a source of income. For whatever reason the ones who didn't let it disappear entriely or be put out there as a strickly nostaliga-based product are the villains. No one said they are the heroes only if there are villains in this story they are those who sit on an IP and add nothing beyond exploitation.

If the law supports the latter then the law is irrelevant and I support breaching of said rights. Amiga doesn't belong to anyone in 2019. It belongs first and foremost to all the crazies who still try to support and can still see the merit in its design and those are not your IP rights holders. No law can explain the machine-human connection that Amiga entailed and which results in us having these arguments in 2019.

Trixie 
Posted on 11-Feb-2019 19:30:01
#76 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@samo79

Quote:
what is AmigaOS4 if not a modern evolution of the old AmigaOS3?

Of course it is a modern evolution of OS3.x, and a very significant one. This must be clear to everyone who has actually used and/or programmed for OS4.

In 2011 my Sam440ep (more precisely: its graphic chip) died. After ACube failed to repair it, or at least return the faulty board to me (thus effectively stealing it), I lost a lot of hope and decided to go the emulation route instead of buying new OS4 hardware. I bought a speedy PC, installed Amiga Forever, configured OS3.9 to my liking... and I gave up after two months. I just couldn't do it, the system felt so backwards, so under-developed compared to OS4. So many programming resources were unavailable, it was basically Stone Age! Luckily someone was selling his Sam440ep-Flex for a good price, so I bought my way back... and never regretted it.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

Hypex 
Posted on 13-Feb-2019 14:40:54
#77 ]
Elite Member

@Srtest

Quote:
Only once upon a time Disney created something whereas Cloanto only used what others have done to create a profit.

@Nonefornow

Quote:
Cloanto only has released various upgrades of the amiga forever product.

This is not so. Cloanto realesed various Amiga software up until Personal Paint and then gave up. After that Cloanto rebranded UAE with ROMs and media extras in the form of Amiga Forever.

Dave73 
Posted on 27-Feb-2019 17:11:02
#78 ]

@g01df1sh

2.05 on an unexpanded A600. 2.1 on a stock A3000 before that.

Waiting for the Vampire V4 Standalone to find out what all the fuss is about with 3.1.4!

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 27-Feb-2019 18:09:14
#79 ]
Elite Member

@Trixie

Absolutely true, but users don't get this, they just won't run their old programs and games form late 80's and mid 90's they don't get way most buy so expensive computer, when they emulate 68k system and run whdload games on a raspberry pi. This is the problem we have if where are going to get people to upgrade there are two options the AmigaONE needs to be more Amiga in design, provide classic chipset onboard (paula, ciaa, ciab, joystick ports) or more classic software need to be ported over to AmigaOS4.x.

In the end users will go where the software is.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 27-Feb-2019 at 08:16 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 27-Feb-2019 at 06:10 PM.

thinkchip 
Posted on 28-Feb-2019 18:23:09
#80 ]

@g01df1sh

Is Amiga OS 3.1.4 a thing? I never heard of it. I use Amiga OS 4.1FE. When I use any of my classic computers, I use 3.1 if they have AGA and 2.1 if not. It depends on the hardware. Maybe I should take this opportunity to praise Amiga OS. I use Windows 10 almost exclusively. But I really like the look and feel of Amiga OS 4 (or any other version) and it's simplicity. I like the transparent way that drivers are implemented. I would use it if it had the software I need. That's a tall order since I mostly use Lightwave 18 and Photoshop Elements and Microsoft Office. Then there are all the games I play.

Last edited by thinkchip on 28-Feb-2019 at 06:30 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle