Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 132 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 BigD:  25 mins ago
 OlafS25:  27 mins ago
 kolla:  47 mins ago
 amigakit:  55 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  58 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 Frank:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 MickJT:  2 hrs 22 mins ago
 A1200:  2 hrs 46 mins ago
 outlawal2:  3 hrs 20 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  I messed it up - Amiga OS 3.1.4 on a real A2000HD with GVP Impact A2000-HC+8 Series II SCSI controller
Register To Post

PosterThread
R5D4 
I messed it up - Amiga OS 3.1.4 on a real A2000HD with GVP Impact A2000-HC+8 Series II SCSI controller
Posted on 27-Jan-2019 2:20:05
#1 ]

Hi there,
Guess I got in a little bit over my head trying to format, partion, and install Amiga OS 3.1.4 on a real A2000HD with GVP Impact A2000-HC+8 Series II SCSI controller. The drive is the original SCSI (about 400MB or so) I just wanted to do a POC and see if I could do a clean install of AmigaOS on the existing drive.

So after I installed the 3.1.4 kickstart rom I changed HDToolbox icon info to GVPSCSI.Device on the install adf (gotek drive) and my harddrive showed up. I partitioned the drives and saved my changes but after rebooting all I get is an error "Not a DOS disk in device DH0". and I can't seem to get back to the install disk to finish installing.

I've undoubtedly buggered something up and was hoping some of you fine folks might be able to point me in the right direction please?

I'm also googling but if you can help I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by R5D4 on 27-Jan-2019 at 02:20 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
SnkBitten 
Re: I messed it up - Amiga OS 3.1.4 on a real A2000HD with GVP Impact A2000-HC+8 Series II SCSI controller
Posted on 27-Jan-2019 3:42:18
#2 ]

@R5D4

After partitioning it have you formatted the partitions? Partition, reboot off df0: with the install disk, format dh0: and then run the install. Make sure you also tagged dh0: as bootable

R5D4 
Re: I messed it up - Amiga OS 3.1.4 on a real A2000HD with GVP Impact A2000-HC+8 Series II SCSI controller
Posted on 27-Jan-2019 3:58:31
#3 ]

@SnkBitten

Hi, i set DH0 as bootable before I applied the changes but on reboot it doesn't go back to the install disk it just seems to try to boot the unformatted partition. Maybe it's because I'm using a gotek drive for the install.adf?

I could try switching it back to a regular drive (think i still have a working one) and reboot again. Also just wondering if I'm better off just bitting the bullet and buying the SCSI TO SD ADAPTER ahead of schedule and installing os 3.1.4 using uae to the SD card.

TBH though I'd like to get the existing drive working if i can first though as just getting another "drive" won't solve anything if I can't figure out how to do this right

AlexC 
Posted on 27-Jan-2019 8:07:58
#4 ]

@R5D4

It sounds like the boot priority of the DH0: partition set in HDToolbox is higher than the boot priority of the floppy/gotek install disk.

Solution: hold the right and left mouse buttons while rebooting to gain access to the boot menu, and from there select the boot device needed to finish your installation and adjust the boot priority of DH0: (IIRC Floppies and CDs default to 5 so setting the priority to 0 would allow booting off the HDD when no removeable media is present.

AmigaOne XE/X1000/X5000/UAE-PPC OS4 laptop/X-10 Home Automation

R5D4 
Posted on 27-Jan-2019 14:58:16
#5 ]

@AlexC

OK well that helped! i was able to get through the installation successfully. Now the issue is that the harddisk isn't always being found on bootup (sometimes it's present other times it isn't). Would I be correct in assuming that this is a sign that the old gal is ready for retirement? Or is it more likely my SCSI controller? I hear a kind of repetitive almost beeping noise when it's trying to startup and if it goes past 8 "beeps" I know that the drive isn't being found and it's going to drop me to the kickstart screen.

Least now I'm more confident that I can get through the installation on a new device

Thanks for the assistance.

AlexC 
Posted on 28-Jan-2019 8:04:08
#6 ]

@R5D4

It may help to find the source of the beeps, is it the drive or the controller?

Just in case there's a bad contact somewhere, the easiest steps to take are to reinsert the controller and cables, and perhaps brush/blow off any dust which could short some ICs pins.

In my experience, when a drive makes such sounds it comes from the motor not being able to start spinning the platters.
The cause generally is a dried out bearing, or sometimes, insufficient amperage on the 12v supply.

The way I would force it to spin, typically to back up the drive, is by setting the drive on its side, which reduces the friction on the bearing, and by using a dedicated power supply.

It is worth pointing out that once the drive does spin, it should be possible to reboot at will as the drive would keep spinning so if you get the failure after a successful boot, the issue is elsewhere.

On the controller side, besides looking for bloated capacitors, the only diagnostic I can think of is to try with another drive and see if the symptom persists, in which case the controller is most likely faulty (assuming the 5v and 12v supply line are good).

AmigaOne XE/X1000/X5000/UAE-PPC OS4 laptop/X-10 Home Automation

g01df1sh 
Posted on 28-Jan-2019 14:31:35
#7 ]

Hi

This video might help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo3j-fknCQs&feature=youtu.be

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle