Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 106 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  26 mins ago
 amigakit:  54 mins ago
 Maijestro:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 fingus:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 48 mins ago
 amigagr:  1 hr 55 mins ago
 MagicSN:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 17 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  New video card
Register To Post

PosterThread
thinkchip 
New video card
Posted on 3-Mar-2019 14:24:46
#1 ]

I put a new video card in my AmigaOne 500. I purchased the Enhancer Graphics Upgrade. Everything seems to be working so far. I'm pretty excited about the new video card. I need to do some more testing.

This is the full description from Amazon, where I bought it: Sapphire Radeon R9 270 2GB GDDR5 DVI-I/DVI-D/HDMI/DP Dual-X with Boost and OC Version PCI-Express Graphics Cards 11220-00-20G

It takes up two slots, so I had to remove the Silicone Image 3512 SATA card that came with the computer and use the onboard SATA interface. That means I had to give up my CDROM drive because the onboard SATA doesn't support booting from the CDROM. I'd like to hook it up to the TV and see if the HDMI connector works.

Somewhere in the back of my mind is the evil thought that I should upgrade to a more "modern" motherboard like an AmigaOne 5000X. I don't know how I could justify a purchase like that because the micro and SAM I have already are mostly totally useless. At least I haven't found a use for them yet.

That isn't totally true. Occasionally I dabble in software development. I've spent so much time fiddling with my hardware problems that I haven't done anything else. Hopefully that will change now.

Last edited by thinkchip on 03-Mar-2019 at 02:58 PM.
Last edited by thinkchip on 03-Mar-2019 at 02:31 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Hypex 
Re: New video card
Posted on 3-Mar-2019 15:37:44
#2 ]
Elite Member

@thinkchip

A logical step in between would be an X1000. That of course is limited to the second hand market if indeed there are any on the open market.

But they at least have four working SATA ports and can connect up a DVD and HDD which can be booted off either. Mine has dual Blurays and two HDD. (One HDD is being rescued.) The dual Blurays making it superior to any X5000 that doesn't even have a Bluray. Cuts like a lazer.

You would also have space for your fancy new Radeon card. Though you have the upper hand at being able to pick an RX 550 and above. The R9 would work in both.

The only thing that would make the X1000 mainly inferior to a 460 or X5000 would be that slow CFE firmware. Which is some strange hybrid of CFE and OpenFirmware. CFE to the user, OF to the programmer.

Rob 
Posted on 3-Mar-2019 21:34:43
#3 ]
Elite Member

@thinkchip

A cheaper option than an X5000 would be to get a larger case with more card brackets and a PCIe flexi riser with ther'll a cable long enough to clear SATA card. Some of them have the slot right angled to the PCB so you can mount it securely in the case using stand offs. You'll probably need to drill and tap your own holes for the stand offs as unlikely that there'll be existing holes in the correct places.

thinkchip 
Posted on 4-Mar-2019 4:19:07
#4 ]

I hooked it up to my TV and it automatically set the screen to 1920 X 1080 at 32-bit color. It was really nice. I need to find out if there is a connection on the video card for sound input. That way video and sound could go through the HDMI cable. It doesn't really matter, since I could run the sound through an amp.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle