Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 86 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  20 mins ago
 amigakit:  48 mins ago
 Maijestro:  1 hr 1 min ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 fingus:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 amigagr:  1 hr 49 mins ago
 MagicSN:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 11 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Hyperion Fires Team Lead and Core Developer
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 )
PosterThread
BigD 
Re: Hyperion Fires Team Lead and Core Developer
Posted on 29-Mar-2019 12:51:41
#221 ]
Elite Member

@Trixie

Quote:
And if you take a look at my post, I addressed "all the SMP/AMP/BMP posters". By this I mean "all" of them, including Steven. The problem indeed deserves its own thread, so feel free to start one, anybody.

At this point the need for the Tabor and worldwide availability of the A.L.I.C.E. laptops is more important than SMP/AMP/BMP etc. The X5000 is too expensive and a Raspberry Pi port (I know its got an ARM CPU) despite being a sensible 'pipe dream' is not likely in the current climate of litigation. Therefore, let's salute Solie for being a good public face / spokesman for the developer team and beg Hyperion / A-EON to overcome the remaining driver issues between them and ship the Tabor machine already!

In regards to the A.L.I.C.E. machines why why why can't AmigaKit become a UK reseller? Can't the Americans responsible train up UK staff to load up the PeeCee laptops in the same way and charge them a small licensing fee for the pleasure?

Last edited by BigD on 29-Mar-2019 at 12:53 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Srtest 
Posted on 29-Mar-2019 14:24:42
#222 ]

@BigD

Peeps buy overexpensive stuff every day of their lives. What they are supposedly saving on their pc (cheap strictly because of market conditions), they spend on their phones and tvs. It's a matter of choice. You can choose to buy a X5000 with AOS4.1 instead of something else. That entire debate should be about that only then the entire premise of many here would be null and void.

BigD 
Posted on 29-Mar-2019 14:33:40
#223 ]
Elite Member

@Srtest

The ONLY way I could afford a X5000 would be if I sold my Classics and risked a row with my wife. I don't have my own smartphone (although I have a work one) and my disposable income goes on my kids. What could I play around with on a X5000 Amiga software wise that I can't on my Classics? Blender? Hollywood? It's not really worth the investment for my time in life.

PacMania / Deluxe PacMan, Tanks Furry, Worthy, Xtreme Racing, Blitz Bombers and Deluxe Paint V / PageStream are really all the Amiga programs the kids are going to be interested in for the next 5 years IMHO! And if I fail to garner an interest they'll become Nintendo Switch fanboys or mobile phone obsessives!

.... pray that I don't fail

Last edited by BigD on 29-Mar-2019 at 02:34 PM.

Signal 
Posted on 29-Mar-2019 15:58:53
#224 ]
Cult Member

@Trixie

Quote:

Trixie wrote:

[quote]And if you take a look at my post, I addressed "all the SMP/AMP/BMP posters". By this I mean "all" of them, including Steven. The problem indeed deserves its own thread, so feel free to start one, anybody.

Hey Man, I tried. MEH!

AmeegaGuy 
Posted on 29-Mar-2019 16:41:04
#225 ]

@BigD

Quote:

What could I play around with on a X5000 Amiga software wise that I can't on my Classics?

What about special new NG Amiga processor unit "X"?

Nonefornow 
Posted on 29-Mar-2019 18:15:54
#226 ]

@BigD

Quote:

In regards to the A.L.I.C.E. machines why why why can't AmigaKit become a UK reseller? Can't the Americans responsible train up UK staff to load up the PeeCee laptops in the same way and charge them a small licensing fee for the pleasure?

but what are you concerns in respect to ordering directly from Rabbit Hole https://store.inertialcomputing.com/category-s/108.htm

Price + import duties?

Rose 
Posted on 29-Mar-2019 18:28:07
#227 ]
Cult Member

@Nonefornow

Other than hilarious pricing? And would you buy from a company that sells Asus with a picture of Acer.

Correction, model number is actually Acer in picture but maybe calling it Asus makes asking price seem more reasonable. On other note newer version of said Acer is $329 on Amazon.

Last edited by Rose on 29-Mar-2019 at 06:33 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 29-Mar-2019 18:49:20
#228 ]
Elite Member

@AmeegaGuy

XMOS chip is signal IO chip to control the XZorro slot, it's not usable for anything else.

I guess think about AmigaONE-X1000, is it ability have classic software, taking advantage of native power libraries, it gives good speed bust, for programs that are system friendly. it more about quality then quantity of classic software. as most classic software is horribly written without any consideration about upgrades like sound cards and modern graphic cards. the ability to run system frendly program also extends to lots of useful command and tools, not just big applications, it easy to ignore that.

AmeegaGuy 
Posted on 29-Mar-2019 19:50:30
#229 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
XMOS chip is signal IO chip to control the XZorro slot, it's not usable for anything else.

I never said it was.

But it something one can play with on A-Eon NG hardware that one cannot play around with on classic hardware. Supposed to be programmable. True or no?

My reply to BigD was sarcasm anyhow. Not serious. :D

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 29-Mar-2019 20:32:16
#230 ]
Elite Member

@AmeegaGuy

it's basily a MPU not a CPU, so it's basically processor has has its own ram, flash internally. and yes it's programabol. I think its dual core, but it clocked a low clock frequency. the PA-SEMI or P5020 / P5040 runs circles around it.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 29-Mar-2019 at 08:33 PM.

Rose 
Posted on 29-Mar-2019 20:46:34
#231 ]
Cult Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Is there native dev kit for it yet or do you still need to do it on x86?

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 29-Mar-2019 21:44:15
#232 ]
Elite Member

@Rose

I know there are some test programs that be started from workbench, that can blink some leds etc... I think you need Linux to develop for it, I think there was a few videos about it on youtube.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 29-Mar-2019 at 09:45 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 29-Mar-2019 23:16:16
#233 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
I know there are some test programs that be started from workbench, that can blink some leds etc

SOLD!! £1,800 for the ability to program some blinking LEDs, where have you been my whole life!

lylehaze 
Posted on 29-Mar-2019 23:18:45
#234 ]

@Rose

The SDK for the XMos chips is controlled by XMOS, and will run on X86 Win or x86 Linux only.
There is one individual in the XMOS community who has begun a PPC based compiler, but his
project (as far as I recall) is a basic C compiler without support for the unique IO structures
that make the XMOS chip unique.
That same user also provided code that was ported to AmigaOS that allows loading pre-compiled XMOS programs from a shell, as well as monitoring the XMOS chip. Those tools were made available to all X1000 owners, and I believe have been ported to the X5000 as well.
I did the X1000 port, but I don't have an X5000, so I'd have to ask someone else for more details.

I did manage a compiler workaround that set up a windows box as a "compile server", accepting jobs by EMail, saving all output while compiling XMOS code, then archiving the results and returning by email reply. Complete with an AmigaOS "back end", it allowed a user to edit/compile/install/run/repeat completely from an AmigaOS shell, but it was not at all elegant.

Frankly, it was a horrible "hack" and a security nightmare, but getting it up and running was an accomplishment all the same. I will NOT develop on a windows machine, but I used that environment for quite a while, and I still have the old XP based netbook that it ran on.

Just details. I know. Lots of trivial little details of the journey so far..

I have "passed the XMOS torch" now, and I never speak of other developers projects, so that's all I can offer.

Signal 
Posted on 30-Mar-2019 14:59:26
#235 ]
Cult Member

Lyle did a terrific job getting the Xmos chip to the point of usable on the X1000, and then A-eon dropped the ball by not supplying a proper prototyping board for the Xorro slot. When I begged them for one they said I should design a board and they would build it. What is so difficult about a board full of holes, especially when they have the design files already?

That was years ago. Now, due to their attitude, my X1000 sits in the closet. I have not purchased any software, hardware, anything.
So, as far as a team lead developer and myself....... develop what? For who?

Do I blame Hyperion or the developers and dedicated individual programmers that do such a fantastic job? Not at all.

Oh, well. I should mention I used the Xmos software on x86 Linux, for 2 1/2 years.

Lyle. Thanks for all of your help and the long hours you put into everything you do.

ppcamiga1 
Posted on 30-Mar-2019 18:17:49
#236 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

Amiga NG has better graphics. Even R200 works without problems in native resolutions of modern LCD.
Still hard to get on classics.

cdimauro 
Posted on 30-Mar-2019 18:26:15
#237 ]
Elite Member

@Trixie Quote:
Trixie wrote:
@cdimauro

Quote:
it was Steven that talked SEVERAL times about "multicore support" (is *still* a priority). Why didn't you complained before?

Two reasons. First: because at that point, the thread hadn't yet derailed into a complete off-topic one. Second: Steven only mentioned multicore several times because he was repeatedly forced to defend his opinion that multicore is a priority.

And if you take a look at my post, I addressed "all the SMP/AMP/BMP posters". By this I mean "all" of them, including Steven. The problem indeed deserves its own thread, so feel free to start one, anybody.

Fair enough.

number6 
Posted on 30-Mar-2019 18:44:24
#238 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Just a reminder that a spinoff thread for multicore already exists:

Multicore Amiga. A discussion

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle