Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
44 crawler(s) on-line.
 57 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

Hammer,  cdimauro

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 cdimauro:  2 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 mins ago
 bhabbott:  7 mins ago
 matthey:  11 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  45 mins ago
 gonegahgah:  51 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 Gunnar:  2 hrs 45 mins ago
 agami:  5 hrs 1 min ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  2019 AmigaOS 4.x Graphics Card Survey
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
gonegahgah 
Re: 2019 AmigaOS 4.x Graphics Card Survey
Posted on 1-Jun-2019 1:39:53
#61 ]

@Hans

I tried the old HD6570 that came with my X1000 and it connects to my monitor okay via HDMI.
I stuck in the GV-RX560GAMING and nothing! I'm guessing it isn't booting also?

I haven't updated my X1000 for quite a while.
Do none of the updates fix what appears to be the same problem that you're describing?

Profile     Report this post  
Hans 
Posted on 1-Jun-2019 1:49:52
#62 ]
Elite Member

@gonegahgah

Quote:

gonegahgah wrote:
@Hans

I tried the old HD6570 that came with my X1000 and it connects to my monitor okay via HDMI.
I stuck in the GV-RX560GAMING and nothing! I'm guessing it isn't booting also?

That's exactly what happened to me. You can look at the hard-disk LED to see if it's booting.

Quote:
I haven't updated my X1000 for quite a while.
Do none of the updates fix what appears to be the same problem that you're describing?

No. The problem is CFE, the X1000's firmware/BIOS. It doesn't know how to handle graphics cards with UEFI firmware. The AmigaOS drivers cannot help here, because this all happens before the OS boots.

Sounds like you need to find a Southern Islands graphics card for the X1000. It's a real shame that the firmware can't handle it.

Hans

Last edited by Hans on 01-Jun-2019 at 01:50 AM.

gonegahgah 
Posted on 1-Jun-2019 7:25:03
#63 ]

@Hans

At https://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/UserDoc:BIOS it says:

The firmware will generally not be updated very often. The reason for this is because the hardware itself is not changing. The firmware's job is to initialize the hardware to a pointer where the operating system can take over and nothing more.

Is it possible that A-Eon will update the X1000 firmware?

K-L 
Posted on 1-Jun-2019 8:43:40
#64 ]

@gonegahgah

No, since they haven't got the firmware's source.

Amigo1 
Posted on 1-Jun-2019 11:16:14
#65 ]

@K-L

@K-L

so basically, because A-EON has not received the firmware, the x1000 sadly is a little more "obsolete" than "vintage" already...

Aren't we living in a fast pacing society, I bought the X1000 as a new system little less than 5 years ago and there is already more support for the 68k-Amigas than for CG..

pavlor 
Posted on 1-Jun-2019 12:20:43
#66 ]
Elite Member

@Amigo1

Quote:
and there is already more support for the 68k-Amigas than for CG

You mean you can run 68k Amiga with anything newer than Radeon 9250 (or even Voodoo 3/4/5 if we count 3D)?

Amigo1 
Posted on 2-Jun-2019 8:16:04
#67 ]

@pavlor

Of course not. What I meant is, there appear to exist more fixes, hardware add-ons, etc out there to max out the 68k hardware, than there are for the CG.

Don't you think it's a pity that the X1000 as a capable and fairly new machine is hold back to unfold its capability by the fact that the contracting body does not have access to the firmware to correct a couple of annoying and known bugs?

pavlor 
Posted on 2-Jun-2019 9:54:40
#68 ]
Elite Member

@Amigo1

Of course it is unfortunate. No doubt. However, comparison to 68k world is flawed. Even the latest GFX generation you can use is enormous achievement: full 2D and 3D with support for recent 3D standards. 68k world is talking about Vampire/Apollo as their ultimate expansion board, but this one doesn´t even support basic 3D (or improved 2D like compositing).

gonegahgah 
Posted on 2-Jun-2019 10:09:04
#69 ]

@Amigo1

Maybe that is a question we can make to Hyperion in the interview thread?
They've already developed the UEFI drivers on the X5000.
Can it be that much more difficult to port them to the X1000?

I will be left a little disappointed otherwise

Rob 
Posted on 2-Jun-2019 13:02:19
#70 ]
Elite Member

@gonegahgah

A-EON are the hardware provider so it would be up to them whether or not to update the BIOS. The X1000 was discontinued a number of years ago now and drivers were made available for SI cards while they were readily available to buy new. I see very few people with an SI card wanting to swap it out for an RX card just for the sake of it and those with an older HD card probably in the minority. Even if an updated BIOS was a paid upgrade there would be so few people willing to buy it that it wouldn't justify the costs.

If you have an X1000 and want hardware 3D acceleration then just get an SI card there are probably some good bargains on the second hand market.

gonegahgah 
Posted on 2-Jun-2019 21:48:45
#71 ]

@Rob

What I have is a GV-R7360OC-2GD that never worked because it didn't get supported.
Now I have a GV-RX560GAMING that isn't supported by the boot rom.

I can't buy a brand new (and pre-finFET) Southern Islands card because they are ancient now and no one supplies them.
Instead I would have to risk buying a second hand one (and it still won't be finFET).

I've been waiting for something useful to use my X1000 for such as Libre Office; but that hasn't arrived.

I purchased it to help support the Amiga market and hopefully get some use out of it but all those promises have so far fallen through.

I even just bought the new book by Hans with the renewed hope that it may be possible for me to work out how to do 4D stuff on it that I'm trying to develop.

So I guess I just continue to leave my X1000 where it is as the paperweight it has been over the last many years and keep using my useful (if sucky) Windows 10 laptop...

Guess I should have waited for the second generation...

Maybe I'll still learn something from Han's book that will be useful to use on the PC?

Hans 
Posted on 3-Jun-2019 4:26:11
#72 ]
Elite Member

@gonegahgah

Quote:

gonegahgah wrote:
@Rob

What I have is a GV-R7360OC-2GD that never worked because it didn't get supported.
Now I have a GV-RX560GAMING that isn't supported by the boot rom.

Yeah, sorry about that. We currently have just one person working on graphics drivers (me), so we had to skip a few generations to keep up with cards that are readily available.

Quote:
I can't buy a brand new (and pre-finFET) Southern Islands card because they are ancient now and no one supplies them.
Instead I would have to risk buying a second hand one (and it still won't be finFET).

Maybe someone here could help you get a decent Southern Islands card?

Quote:

I've been waiting for something useful to use my X1000 for such as Libre Office; but that hasn't arrived.

I purchased it to help support the Amiga market and hopefully get some use out of it but all those promises have so far fallen through.

Sorry to hear that, and thanks for your support. My X1000 has been used well, thanks in large part to me being the guy writing the graphics drivers. It's a shame that LibreOffice still hasn't been released. Having a Southern Islands card would definitely make the machine more interesting to you.

Quote:
Maybe I'll still learn something from Han's book that will be useful to use on the PC?

The GLSL shader code is transferable. If you want something you can directly use on the PC, then have a look at my OpenGL ES tutorials (also available in paperback and on the Kindle).

Hans

Hans 
Posted on 8-Jun-2019 5:21:20
#73 ]
Elite Member

@all

The results have been published.

Hans

Hypex 
Posted on 5-Apr-2020 5:35:15
#74 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

Just noticed this.

Quote:
Actually, because you have an X1000 you may want to put the card in first, to test that it works. I couldn't get my X1000 to even boot with a Radeon RX 550 plugged in. These cards have UEFI firmware instead of VGABIOS, and the X1000's firmware seems to have difficulty with that.

Does the serial output give any useful information?

And, that does mean if a modern Rx card was placed in a computer with only a classic BIOS, it wouldn't boot up either?

I didn't know UEFI had taken off. Most recent computers I have used still have an old looking BIOS. Even this Lenovo laptop I have, that surely support UEFI, still presents an BIOS interface. It will be years before PC firmware catches up with the colourful red pointer in a 25 year old Kickstart. Even though the software is there they slow to take it up.

kolla 
Posted on 5-Apr-2020 6:03:22
#75 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Latest servers I've dealt with at work no longer have legacy option - only UEFI.

Legacy BIOS and MBR is not really an option when disk sizes beyond 4TB now becomes common.

As for PC firmwares catching up... sheesh, look on firmwares on Intel NUCs for example - more feature rich than Amiga OS can hope for.

Last edited by kolla on 05-Apr-2020 at 06:07 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle