Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
50 crawler(s) on-line.
 30 guest(s) on-line.
 4 member(s) on-line.

matthey, Hammer, bhabbott, more...

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 bhabbott:  45 secs ago
 Hammer:  58 secs ago
 cdimauro:  2 mins ago
 matthey:  4 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  38 mins ago
 gonegahgah:  44 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 Gunnar:  2 hrs 38 mins ago
 agami:  4 hrs 54 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  XMOS USB digital audio interface
Register To Post

PosterThread
Srtest 
XMOS USB digital audio interface
Posted on 20-May-2019 2:05:40
#1 ]

https://www.xmos.com/products/silicon

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/xmos-xu208-usb-bridges-the-latest-gen-has-arrived.803111/

Are those kind of devices relevant to our type of XMOS implementation?

Profile     Report this post  
JimIgou 
Re: XMOS USB digital audio interface
Posted on 20-May-2019 16:18:52
#2 ]

@Srtest

Quote:
Are those kind of devices relevant to our type of XMOS implementation?

No, your XMOS processors are much more primitive.

BUT, an XMOS based sound card design was what originally motivated me to contact Paul Gentle.
And I learned his company was one of the few were using the PA6T to build motherboards.

So, even without confirming with Paul, I had a pretty good idea who designed the X1000, before it was announced.
And the use of an XMOS device was also telling.

Paul has been facinated with those things for years.

The new bridge chips you've referenced ARE interesting, but they just extend an already unique idea.

I wish Aeon would get some breadboards out to access that slot.

There's a lot that could be done with it.

Last edited by JimIgou on 21-May-2019 at 12:29 AM.

Signal 
Posted on 20-May-2019 19:57:42
#3 ]
Cult Member

@JimIgou

Quote:

I wish Aeon would get some breadboards out to access that slot.

There's a lot that could be done with it.

Dream on.

I begged for 5 years for a usable protoboard and finally relegated the X1000 to the spare parts closet. I was told by A-eon that if I designed a board they would consider building it.
My requests for the design file for the available strip board were ignored.

Meh!

JimIgou 
Posted on 20-May-2019 20:16:10
#4 ]

@Signal

Later XMOS devices can be interfaced via a PCI-E X4 slot (or USB, although I'd prefer PCIe).

We could just design our own board to plug into a PCIe X4 slot that would use XCore 200 components (possibly more than one).
There are USB, ethernet, audio, and other interfacing projects, with multiprocessor cores that can be linked together.

Xena can't be used without pinout information.
It could provide the basic interface, but if you aren't given the info to use it...

Last edited by JimIgou on 21-May-2019 at 12:30 AM.
Last edited by JimIgou on 20-May-2019 at 08:21 PM.

Srtest 
Posted on 20-May-2019 23:16:51
#5 ]

@JimIgou

10x for the answer. If A1 can be both a platform/base and at the same time this carryall transformer which can detach part of itself for general usage we might have something in terms of integration. Current usb sound cards are kinda relics - not really endorsed by audiophiles on one hand and not really worth it for the gfx card + hdmi users who don't care about audio fidelity. This I see moving beyond usb as a quality interface and providing a very interesting hardware counterpart to all those new sophisticated audio/video solutions you can see today with laptops and really good headphones. It's worth checking out in my book because there is already a body of knowledge here and the question can it "talk" in terms of audio signals (in this case) with devices not inherently friendly to our environment. Could this be like an ad-hoc base for "streaming" into headphones and stuff? Not something that you have to prepare in advance. Maybe with some sort of virtual cable implementation which I want to check soon.

JimIgou 
Posted on 21-May-2019 0:40:22
#6 ]

@Srtest

Good response. I was pleasantly surprised by these new XMOS devices.

In particular the audio related components.

As to USB, its dated for audio, but these chips can do some remarkably things with audio input (and every once and awhile regular USB audio is useful - its the sound source of last resort for MorphOS).

But apparently Aeon and Varisys don't want to document a feature they have touted on both the X1000 and the X5000 as a selling point. Why pay for the chip if it can't be accessed? Without documentation, Xena is useless.

Since both systems, the SAM460, and X64 commodity hardware feature X4 PCIe, we could always explore that interface for XMOS.

Last edited by JimIgou on 21-May-2019 at 12:41 AM.

Trixie 
Posted on 21-May-2019 6:55:06
#7 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@JimIgou

Quote:
But apparently Aeon and Varisys don't want to document a feature they have touted on both the X1000 and the X5000 as a selling point. Why pay for the chip if it can't be accessed? Without documentation, Xena is useless.

Unfortunately, what may have been planned as a selling point has turned into a useless gimmick introduced based on the delusion that we need a custom chip to make the AmigaOne more "Amiga".

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

JimIgou 
Posted on 21-May-2019 12:28:55
#8 ]

@Trixie

Quote:
useless gimmick

It wouldn't be useless if they documented it.

I'm wondering what direction Treavor intends to take Aeon.
Varisys was bought by another company, Paul Gentle no longer works there, and NXP is not developing there PPC products any further (although they will be available for some time).

So where to go after this?

Power9 like Blackbird, or commodity X64 hardware?

And XMOS? If you want to use it, the documentation to build boards (including those that have PCIe interfaces) is on their website.

Doesn't require an X1000 or an X5000, and the newer chips are quite a bit more capable.

As to Amiga vs. AmigaOne, I'm still firmly in the NG camp.
I was in the business of building and selling 68K based systems when we lost out to inferior competition. Once was painful enough, thank you.

Now they are so far ahead, and lets face it, software can run on any platform, so a resurection of the legacy Amiga based on a hardware spec seems kind of stupid.

Signal 
Posted on 23-May-2019 12:56:54
#9 ]
Cult Member

@JimIgou

I know how the XMOS is integrated onto the X1000, and regardless of the bad opinions, it was very usable for many hobbyist projects except for the supplied protoboard.

XC, the language used to program the XMOS, is not hard to learn and very well documented.
However it does take some playing around to have a good handle on using it.

I do not know how it is integrated on the X5000. If anybody has information it will be much appreciated if they would share.

I don't think sound or video would be a proper use of the onboard chip, but rather as a gateway to external devices/systems. Just as a simple idea, install a RPi3b on the card and use opto couplers to send signals back and forth to the XMOS. Weather stations, robot control, system monitoring, alarms, etc..

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle