Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 164 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 dirkzwager:  9 mins ago
 clint:  15 mins ago
 vox:  21 mins ago
 Gunnar:  25 mins ago
 pixie:  33 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  37 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 Templario:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 GPTNederlands:  1 hr 53 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Development
      /  Warp3D Nova Tutorials Book Released
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Hans 
Warp3D Nova Tutorials Book Released
Posted on 30-May-2019 1:46:58
#1 ]
Elite Member

The Warp3D Nova tutorials on my blog have gotten buried so, at Jamie's suggestion (thanks Jamie), I've collected them, added a few more tutorials and put them into a book. This is the first book on Warp3D Nova.

It's available now on Kindle and in paperback. Click here for more details.

Hans

P.S., This really should be posted as a news item, but I've posted it as a forum thread because the introductory discount is only available for 48 hours (i.e., it needed to be posted ASAP).

Last edited by Hans on 30-May-2019 at 01:48 AM.
Last edited by Hans on 30-May-2019 at 01:48 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
Trixie 
Re: Warp3D Nova Tutorials Book Released
Posted on 30-May-2019 4:21:21
#2 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Hans

The links on your page are dead but I've managed to order the paperback edition from Amazon.co.uk. Thanks for publishing this highly useful stuff!

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

Hans 
Posted on 30-May-2019 7:35:22
#3 ]
Elite Member

@Trixie

Sorry about that. Something appears to be going wrong with the CMS my website is running on. I already fixed the links a few times, so I'm rather annoyed that they still ended up wrong.

They're fixed now.

Hans

billt 
Posted on 30-May-2019 14:34:52
#4 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

I could not use the links last night either, but was able to search Amazon to find the Kindle version. I could not get to a paperback at all last night. (USA EDT, GMT-4)

Today your links do seem to work, and I can also get to the paperback by following your link. Searching on Amazon still only shows Kindle, it does not seem to have paperback available under "Other Formats and Editions". If I follow your link, I do get to the paperback. Odd that just a search cannot find that, or that being on the Kindle one does not let me change to paperback for same title...

Also, Amazon is not indicating discount, as it does on other things, so I can't tell if what I see is the discount price or the full price. Currently says US$27.19 for paperback and US$5.94 for Kindle.

Order placed. :)

Last edited by billt on 30-May-2019 at 05:28 PM.
Last edited by billt on 30-May-2019 at 02:37 PM.

L8Knight 
Posted on 31-May-2019 1:47:40
#5 ]

@Hans

Same experience here (Amazon US site) last night. Found Kindle version but no paperback. Just searched again and both paperback and kindle were available. Ordered a paperback copy from the link on your page. Keep up the great work!!

--Barry Steenbergh

BoingBear 
Posted on 31-May-2019 2:17:22
#6 ]

@Hans

Great work! A new Amiga programming book I can buy and hold in my hands. Who would have thought it would be possible to buy new Amiga programming books in 2019!

Keep up the great work Hans.

Trixie 
Posted on 31-May-2019 5:59:44
#7 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@BoingBear

Quote:
A new Amiga programming book I can buy and hold in my hands. Who would have thought it would be possible to buy new Amiga programming books in 2019!

Which reminds me I should finally get to finishing my OS4 GUI programming primer

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

SinanG 
Posted on 31-May-2019 8:59:46
#8 ]

@Hans

Thanks..I have just bought the Kindle version from Amazon USA

Amiga A1222 2GB Radeon RX 550
Sam 460 2GB RadeonRX 550

Hans 
Posted on 31-May-2019 12:12:22
#9 ]
Elite Member

@all

Thanks everyone.

@billt

Yesterday I could see the Kindle version on Amazon.com via my laptop, but not the print book. On my phone, the book simply wasn't there, and this morning I could see the print book via my phone, but not the Kindle version. Amazon seems to be rather slow in adding the book's versions to the search engine on all of its servers.

Quote:
Also, Amazon is not indicating discount, as it does on other things, so I can't tell if what I see is the discount price or the full price. Currently says US$27.19 for paperback and US$5.94 for Kindle.

Yes, that's the discounted price. Amazon won't let me show a discount. Some time on Sunday the price will go up.

@Trixie

Quote:
Which reminds me I should finally get to finishing my OS4 GUI programming primer.

Yes you should. Having another book for modern AmigaOS development available would be great. GUI programming is another challenging area...

Hans

Trixie 
Posted on 31-May-2019 15:33:27
#10 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Hans

Quote:
Yes you should. Having another book for modern AmigaOS development available would be great.

Looking at my project folder I can see that I have already written three chapters; I'll see if I can do something about it later this year.

Rob 
Posted on 31-May-2019 15:43:27
#11 ]
Elite Member

@BoingBear

Quote:
Who would have thought it would be possible to buy new Amiga programming books in 2019!

https://amiga.net.pl/index.php?kwt=4018&lng=eng

They have more books planned too.

nbache 
Posted on 31-May-2019 20:48:34
#12 ]

@Trixie

Quote:
Looking at my project folder I can see that I have already written three chapters; I'll see if I can do something about it later this year.
Yes, please .

I'd be snatching that one up as soon as it were out.

Oh, and don't forget to make good and frequent backups of your work until then! (I guess you know that, but so many great projects have failed because the work was lost in a HD crash or similar.)

Best regards,

Niels

BoingBear 
Posted on 1-Jun-2019 3:07:31
#13 ]

@Rob

Who is "Adam Zalepa", and have you purchased any of his books? I would like to read some reviews of his books, as well as the books from other authors that are selling books on that linked website you provided. Since the English language might not be the native language of Mr. Zalepa, and other authors who are advertising books for sale on that site, I am reluctant to purchase any of those books, until I am sure that the translation to English is understandable by myself and most other native English speaking people.

It is great to see so many books being written. One of the worst things that could happen to this tiny community, is to have much of the knowledge that long time users and developers have "NOT" be passed on to newer and younger users and developers. I'm sure we have already lost a lot of valuable expertise, over the past 10 to 15 years.

Amigo1 
Posted on 1-Jun-2019 11:13:07
#14 ]

@Hans

Thanks for the book,

bought the Kindle version because I can't take drag the paper version around with me atm.
I'll buy the paper version too later on.

An Apple-Books version would be very welcome, I installed kindle just for this book.. ;)
Wouldn't mind buying a second copy at all, just to get rid of 110 MiB on my phone! :D

edit: typo

Last edited by Amigo1 on 01-Jun-2019 at 11:13 AM.

Rob 
Posted on 1-Jun-2019 20:24:08
#15 ]
Elite Member

@BoingBear

Quote:
Who is "Adam Zalepa", and have you purchased any of his books?

I haven't purchased any of the books so far myself but I'm waiting for NG programming books which according to an email exchange I had will hopefully be available by the end of the year.
I'd assume that whoever is responsible for translation is competent at the job since I've seen no complaints. Amiga On The Lake currently stock one of their books and have sold another in the past so it might be worth contacting them for their opinion regarding readability.

Hans 
Posted on 2-Jun-2019 4:14:38
#16 ]
Elite Member

@Amigo1

Quote:

Amigo1 wrote:
@Hans

An Apple-Books version would be very welcome, I installed kindle just for this book.. ;)
Wouldn't mind buying a second copy at all, just to get rid of 110 MiB on my phone! :D

edit: typo

I might release it on Apple Books too if there's enough interest. I took a quick look, and all the instructions I found said you needed to use iBooks Author...

EDIT: Not sure if it helps, but I'll also release a PDF version later.

Hans

Last edited by Hans on 02-Jun-2019 at 04:15 AM.

Amigo1 
Posted on 2-Jun-2019 8:05:13
#17 ]

@Hans

Thanks for considering! :)

In case there will be enough interest, here you can find info on publishing to Apple Books:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208716

You don't need an Apple device, as you can use iCloud (kind of google docs) for this too.

Going back to my Sunday's reading now! ;)

Hans 
Posted on 6-Jun-2019 2:30:38
#18 ]
Elite Member

@all

Quick update: I found time to create the PDF version, so the book is now also available in PDF format, which has the bonus that you can read it on AmigaOS (we have PDF viewers, but no Kindle).

Click here to get it.

Hans

Daedalus 
Posted on 6-Jun-2019 8:50:50
#19 ]

@Hans
Congratulations! It really is great to see books like this appearing.

@BoingBear
Quote:

BoingBear wrote:

Who is "Adam Zalepa", and have you purchased any of his books? I would like to read some reviews of his books, as well as the books from other authors that are selling books on that linked website you provided. Since the English language might not be the native language of Mr. Zalepa, and other authors who are advertising books for sale on that site, I am reluctant to purchase any of those books, until I am sure that the translation to English is understandable by myself and most other native English speaking people.

I have one of his books (the Blitz Basic one), and the language is clunky and clearly translated by a non-native English speaker - most likely the author himself as no other name is given. Having said that, it's functional and there's nothing in it that isn't understandable, so as a technical or reference book it's not a huge problem that it sometimes doesn't flow smoothly.

As regards the content in general, to me it felt a little thin and mechanical, going through certain subjects with little in the way of discussion beyond a synopsis of a keywords arguments, for example. Personally I much prefer the older style of programming books from the Amiga's time, such as the ones by Future Publishing, which had some discussion about background details that helped to develop a better overall understanding of the subject. I know I'm probably not the target audience for it since it seems to be aimed at absolute beginners, but I feel something beyond that might have been a good idea to include too to help the beginners as they start to develop their new abilities.

Anyway, that's my short review, for what it's worth.

Last edited by Daedalus on 06-Jun-2019 at 08:52 AM.
Last edited by Daedalus on 06-Jun-2019 at 08:51 AM.

Trixie 
Posted on 6-Jun-2019 10:22:10
#20 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Daedalus

Quote:
Personally I much prefer the older style of programming books from the Amiga's time, such as the ones by Future Publishing, which had some discussion about background details that helped to develop a better overall understanding of the subject.

I absolutely agree with you. However, writing such a book needs time, experience and writing skills; we simply don't have many people left who would have all of this. Plus, the Amiga market is quite small, so the publisher of such a book would have to be a huge fan doing this for the cause, not for profit.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle