Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 135 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hypex:  10 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 34 mins ago
 amigakit:  5 hrs 6 mins ago
 Hammer:  5 hrs 56 mins ago
 Rob:  6 hrs 34 mins ago
 billt:  6 hrs 42 mins ago
 amigang:  6 hrs 53 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  6 hrs 55 mins ago
 agami:  7 hrs 19 mins ago
 matthey:  7 hrs 25 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Using Amiga OS 4 Daily
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Severin 
Re: Using Amiga OS 4 Daily
Posted on 31-Jul-2019 2:17:23
#21 ]
Elite Member

@Trekiej

I've been using Amigas daily (well almost) since 1985 when I started with an A1000, now I still use an A1000 (NG). it's my main machince, I have a couple of macs that I've not turned on for around 18 months, an android set top box that I use for video and torrents and a Raspberry Pi 4 for the stuff I can't do on the Amiga, mainly a few websites and office software.

I've even got my HP wifi all-in-one printer to scan via odyssey, pity I can't print on it though so printing is done via the Pi.

Visit the Official OS4 Support Site for more help.

It may be that your sole purpose is to serve as a warning to others.

Profile     Report this post  
remotenemesis 
Posted on 31-Jul-2019 4:47:03
#22 ]

@Trekiej

I was finally able to set mine up this week.

Every day... no, but as often as I can for programming right now. I'm planning on porting a Mastodon (federated social media client) that I half-finished in AROS and MUI over to AOS4 and Reaction (mostly for the excellent docs). I might build a gopher client on the way too. I'm also tempted to build an XMPP chat client at some point. Both gopher and XMPP are making a small comeback and I want to be able to use them from an Amiga!

I have VNC working so I can connect to various Raspberry Pis I have, for reasons.

I have a basic development tool chain with gvim, gcc, and sgit connecting to a gitea repository on one of my pis.

I haven't achieved 100% success with mounting a shared Samba drive... I managed to achieve read-only at least but that has become a background project at the moment.

MPlayer is still exploding on me. I really want to want mp4 movies (from the Samba share). I'd like to get FLAC support running too (and maybe .ogg so I can listen to all of music collection.

I don't see the state of web-browsing improving too much to be honest. The modern web-browser with Javascript is a really complex beast and we just don't have the resources to get anywhere close. I think NetSurf is probably our best bet for having a serviceable browser for light duty.

Maybe I'll try e-mail too.

So I think AOS4 could shine with nice old-skool desktop apps.

Trekiej 
Posted on 31-Jul-2019 5:04:43
#23 ]
Cult Member

@remotenemesis

I downloaded Odyssey, it seems to be better than Origin, in some way.
I needed to see if my downloads are finished.

I was not able to get Simple Mail going.
I did download a Zelda game by HunoPPC.

Maybe next year.

John 3:16

ktadd 
Posted on 31-Jul-2019 5:16:42
#24 ]
Cult Member

@Trekiej
Quote:
I was not able to get Simple Mail going.

Are you trying to use SimpleMail with gmail? I wasn't able to get that going either.
It does work well with Yahoo Mail. I use the pop3 mail server because I like to have more control of my email.

Trekiej 
Posted on 31-Jul-2019 5:35:09
#25 ]
Cult Member

@ktadd

Yup, grin, Yahoo, I have not tried.
Also, I have not tried MSN yet.

Trixie 
Posted on 31-Jul-2019 7:12:02
#26 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@remotenemesis

Quote:
I'd like to get FLAC support running too (and maybe .ogg so I can listen to all of music collection.

Why not use AmigaAMP, which supports both FLAC and OGG (on top of other formats)? I use it every day to listen to my collection, which I've grabbed from CDs using ADRipper.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

utri007 
Posted on 31-Jul-2019 8:06:28
#27 ]

@Severin

Quote:

I've even got my HP wifi all-in-one printer to scan via odyssey, pity I can't print on it though so printing is done via the Pi.

Why? What is problem? I have also a HP's all-in-one device and printing works just fine. All HP's lasers works with Laserjet 4 driver.

ktadd 
Posted on 31-Jul-2019 8:25:59
#28 ]
Cult Member

@Trekiej @All

I played around again tonight and managed to get receiving gmail emails with SimpleMail working. The key thing is to get the setting right, then you have to go into your gmail account and set it to allow less secure connections. Once I had things set up I received an email from gmail telling me that an unknown system tried to access my gmail account. I followed the link in the email so I could tell gmail it was me that was trying to login. Then I had to go set my setting to allow less secure connections.

Here are the critical setting for gmail in my SimpleMail config:

Add an account and give it an account name. (Anything you want.)
Under user: Give yourself a Name and use your gmail address in the E-Mail and Reply Address fields.

Under Receive Section:

Type: Pop3
Active: Checked
Server: pop.gmail.com
Port: 995
Security: TLS
Fingerprint: (Leave blank. It will get filled in at first connect. You may be asked to accept.)
Login: (your gmail address)
Password: (your gmail password)
Ask: not selected.
APOP: Don't Try
Avoid duplicated: Checked
Delete mails: Unchecked (select check if desired but I haven't tried that.)

Receiving emails should work with these settings. I haven't been able to get Send to work so replying to emails with your gmail account won't work either. For replies just change the account at the top of the reply with the dropdown.

CAUTION!
Once it started working it downloaded every email I've ever received via gmail. Fortunatly it was only about 250 emails (~8MBytes) because I don't really use gmail very much. After that it only receives new emails. Just had to do some deleting.

ktadd 
Posted on 31-Jul-2019 8:34:23
#29 ]
Cult Member

@Severin

Quote:

Have you tried connecting the printer to your X1000 via USB? That's the way I have my HP Photosmart 5520 connected and it prints fine using the photosmart driver from OS4Depot.

Last edited by ktadd on 31-Jul-2019 at 08:40 AM.

remotenemesis 
Posted on 31-Jul-2019 15:22:22
#30 ]

@Trixie

Thanks!

How do did you get AmigaAMP to support FLAC and OGG? Do I need to install anything extra. It's real nice otherwise!

ADRipper fails to start complaining "Unable to find or create image!" :(

Last edited by remotenemesis on 31-Jul-2019 at 03:49 PM.

remotenemesis 
Posted on 31-Jul-2019 15:50:52
#31 ]

@Trekiej

Odyssey seems to support the web the best for my needs with NetSurf 3.9 coming in second.

cha05e90 
Posted on 31-Jul-2019 16:23:29
#32 ]

@Severin

Huh? Why not? I'm printing happily through network with HP-All-In-One-Printer. Even with my trusty A2000s. Using HP Laserjet or Postscript driver plus lpr. or netprinter.device. Works with all my AmigaOS systems.

amigadave 
Posted on 31-Jul-2019 17:05:29
#33 ]

@cha05e90

Quote:

cha05e90 wrote:
@Severin

Huh? Why not? I'm printing happily through network with HP-All-In-One-Printer. Even with my trusty A2000s. Using HP Laserjet or Postscript driver plus lpr. or netprinter.device. Works with all my AmigaOS systems.

I've not heard from many Amiga users that say they can print to modern printers without any problems. Do your prints from Classic Amiga systems and old 68k software turn out exactly as shown on the monitor?

I've got a brand new HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw printer that I would love to be able to use with my X1000, as well as my A1200/060 and A4000/060 Video Toaster systems.

rzookol 
Posted on 31-Jul-2019 21:00:28
#34 ]

@amigadave

HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw has Postscript3 emulation so You can use Pagestream for printing.

klx300r 
Posted on 31-Jul-2019 21:09:53
#35 ]
Elite Member

@Trekiej

my X1000 is used every day. My PC is used mainly for AutoCAD.

Be great if we got an update for TimberWolf as I loved it when it was working great up with all Firefox addons until Update 1 FE came out

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

ktadd 
Posted on 1-Aug-2019 0:11:55
#36 ]
Cult Member

@amigadave
Quote:
I've got a brand new HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw printer that I would love to be able to use with my X1000, as well as my A1200/060 and A4000/060 Video Toaster systems.

This printer supports HP Postscript Level 3 so it should work with the Postscript driver.
If nothing else you can connect it to your X1000 via the USB port.

Also, check out netprinter.device from aminet for printing over the network.

Last edited by ktadd on 01-Aug-2019 at 12:21 AM.

Trekiej 
Posted on 1-Aug-2019 1:52:48
#37 ]
Cult Member

@thread
I hear a lot of cool stuff.

I want to dedicate a laptop to running AOS4.1FE.
Portability would be nice.

Trixie 
Posted on 1-Aug-2019 6:52:57
#38 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@remotenemesis

Quote:
How do did you get AmigaAMP to support FLAC and OGG? Do I need to install anything extra.

No, both FLAC and OGG work right out of the box.

Quote:
ADRipper fails to start complaining "Unable to find or create image!"

If you look at the OS4depot ADRipper download page more carefully, or if you take a look at the program documentation, you'll see that AISS is mentioned as a requirement. So you'll need to download AISS from here and install it. (You'll need it for many other OS4 programs, by the way.)

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

cha05e90 
Posted on 1-Aug-2019 10:13:31
#39 ]

@amigadave

Quote:
I've not heard from many Amiga users that say they can print to modern printers without any problems. Do your prints from Classic Amiga systems and old 68k software turn out exactly as shown on the monitor? I've got a brand new HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw printer that I would love to be able to use with my X1000, as well as my A1200/060 and A4000/060 Video Toaster systems.

...and I never understood the "problems".

I'm printing via netprinter/lpr.device since ages and I'm using exactly your HP model since last year. The printer before this was a networked HP LaserJet with Postscript and PCL as well. Of course the printout looks as it should look, the printer just prints PCL x - so you can happily use the LaserJet 4 driver (regardless of OS version - here 3.9 and 4.1u1).

tonyw 
Posted on 1-Aug-2019 11:14:40
#40 ]
Elite Member

@all

I have one of every NG model here, I use them for testing my stuff on every platform before release. They are arranged in pairs, with a serial cable connecting each pair for debug output capture. Each is connected to the LAN, which also has a NAS box for archival and an HP printer. My wife has her PCs (three of them) in her room, all LAN connected, but one is by wireless. All other machines are connected via Ethernet.

My main machine, on which I perform all my development, is an X-1000. It is paired with the X-5020, with which it shares a desk. The others are:
An A-1222 Tabor, paired with a Sam 440 EP in a portable case (I would like to build the Tabor into a laptop one day, but it might remain a dream at the rate I am going).
A Sam 440 Flex, paired with either the Sam 460 EX or the X-5040 (run out of monitors and desk space after that).

I also have a Linux box running Ubuntu, which I use only for those websites which I can't reach using Oddity, but just have to read.

All the machines run the latest OS4 components, including those that I am currently working on. All use the "lpr.device" to connect to the printer and all run Samba to connect to each other. Samba connections are all read-only so that a rogue machine can't infect or damage any of the others.

I must admit to having an old PC here. It runs XP and used to belong to a friend who died, but not before his son got it infected with all sorts of stuff. I can't connect it to the LAN because it "takes over" and prevents anything else from working. I only use it to run the ICC compiler for the Motorola HC11 that I use in many of my embedded toys^H^H^H^Hprojects. For any other Microsoft task, I have to borrow one of my wife's machines.

The X-1000 runs YAM, Oddity, TuneNet, etc, etc. It is my main machine, which is why I don't do much testing on it. It is on the air 12-16 hours a day.

Last edited by tonyw on 01-Aug-2019 at 11:15 AM.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle