Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 103 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

Allanon,  Beamish2040

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Beamish2040:  15 secs ago
 Allanon:  1 min ago
 Hypex:  5 mins ago
 amigagr:  13 mins ago
 OlafS25:  38 mins ago
 AmigaMac:  45 mins ago
 amigakit:  53 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 Maijestro:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 Rudei:  1 hr 48 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  AmigaOne X1000 stability
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Hypex 
Re: AmigaOne X1000 stability
Posted on 19-Sep-2019 16:04:01
#21 ]
Elite Member

@Trixie

@Trixie

Quote:
The Guru Meditation certainly has cultural value: it formed part of the original Amiga identity. However, its practical value was close to zero.

It did become rather cultural. The red alert was amusing while also influenced by Eastern mysticism. I did find it was practical in informing of a crash or issue. But it was also too cryptic, the task as well as error ID would have been better to be expanded on.

Whilst it was later replaced by the more system conforming system requester it still lacked this information and remained a tool only for programmers or those who looked up the codes in the include files.

Unfortunately the Grim Reaper doesn't help in case either. It does give more information but it's still no more useful than Windows BSOD. The guru numbers are still cryptic!

Profile     Report this post  
AmeegaGuy 
Posted on 19-Sep-2019 16:05:57
#22 ]

@Hypex

Guru not really so cryptic once you understand how to read.

https://amigalove.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=500

bennymee 
Posted on 19-Sep-2019 17:35:40
#23 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

No, Ctrl-Alt-Alt does not work either.
The resetbutton is ok, the system reboots - but only when the system has not freezed.

System start to reset, the fans of the graphic cards start to spin and then screen stays black forever.

To my knowledge it has worked before, I have ordered an adapter to read the output in debug mode. Other thing is that I have 2 Radeon gfx cards installed, that could be a cause.

Last edited by bennymee on 19-Sep-2019 at 05:46 PM.

broadblues 
Posted on 19-Sep-2019 20:24:57
#24 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Hypex

To be fair I created the original bass loop for this https://open.spotify.com/track/6jFy4CQAyh1BvBDmGlOVCH

in a tracker, then fruther developed it in HDRec before finally recording it in mix od AE4 ProTools and a professional studio for the drums....

Mainly on my SAM rather than the X1000 as that has the decent terratec sound card.[quote]

lylehaze 
Posted on 21-Sep-2019 7:59:13
#25 ]

This seems a fair place to post this:
X1000: Sata cables have caused issues, and an occasional power supply replacement is a good idea.
Battery changes may also help. If your machine seems very sensitive to low batteries, changing to BR2032 will help, as it "holds up" the voltage much better over the life of the battery.

Here's a newer discovery:
I have a "driverless" extra-long USB cord, allowing my wired mechanical keyboard to be used from across the room. I think the cord is about 30 feet long.
AmigaOS has no problems with this at all, but CFE is hit-or-miss with it. When it fails, the first boot screen appears (metallic X1000), but the boot select menu never appears. This may be a problem on a cold start or full reset, but never after a warm or "quick" reboot. Since it's CFE related, I don't hold much hope for a fix. Sure a wireless keyboard would work, but my mechanical keyboard is much nicer to work with.

Another one I have had issues with, apparently with both CFE and UBoot machines, is the rather confusing selection of boot volume. Here's what it looks like as best I can tell:
When cold booting, you may select a boot volume from the list of available. Kickstart is then loaded from the volume specified, all good so far..
then AmigaOS will choose the "System" partition based on available volumes and priorities, no matter what was selected before.

This has led me to testing software with a mismatched Kickstart/Workbench on multiple occasions. It's more annoying each time it catches me off guard.

Just posing in hopes it saves someone the frustration.. Aside from these few things, My X1000 is VERY stable and reliable. Love my Amiga!

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 21-Sep-2019 11:53:31
#26 ]
Elite Member

@lylehaze

maybe there should be a version check in startup-sequence with a warning message and "ask" command, to puase it, maybe option to go to shell, or reboot.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Sep-2019 at 03:36 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 21-Sep-2019 15:06:21
#27 ]
Elite Member

@Severin

Quote:
Getting better sata cables made a big difference, my originals were a bit loose and needed a wigglle ocasionally to get drives to mount. I've had 3 or 4 pci network cards trying various chipsets and drivers, last year I had a lot of network and booting problems so finally installed a psi-e card and my system has been far more stable since then.

I think I will need to upgrade my sata cables next. Didn't have this trouble with IDE. Even though the XE didn't have the surrounding socket for the pins.

I had a random network card I acquired somewhere. I was fortunate as it had the Realtek chipset. And has worked fine ever since.

Quote:
The PSU got replaced on shedule and improved things at the time.

Mine's only about 500W and came with my case. I always thought it was a bit low and suspected it would be too weak. Even though I bought a decent enough ThermalTake case new.

Quote:
Clean your ram every six months, replace your sata cables if you have random crashes, drives not mounting, read / write erors or just if the drives seem slower than normal. Blast your heatsink with compressed air when you clean the ram to remove any dust and fluff.

I found when my XE has problems it's RAM gone dirty. Just when I don't expect it and before I know it my XE board has had some dirty, dirty RAM.

The same for my IDE board. Anything plugged in going dirty. Last time things went bad it took a week for things to totally shut down. Even pulling cards out and plugging in can help. But it's good to know dirty contacts can cause these issues so we can be aware of them.

Quote:
Basically, give it a service at least once a year, pull your boards, ram, cables, clean and replace and your system will be happier and you'll have more hair

I also took my XE out for a clean. Was looking rather dusty. I don't like that. So got the blower onto it. Almost lost my RAM as well as my hair when it blew away!

Hypex 
Posted on 21-Sep-2019 15:28:37
#28 ]
Elite Member

@AmeegaGuy

I know how to read them but to read them you need to look at programmers information. And needing to do that means that it is still cryptic to the average user. The information needs to be in the alert requester to make sense of it. Before I knew what a task ID was I had no clue what it was talking about nor why the first bunch of characters kept changing. For someone without a knowledge of hexadecimal it would look even more confusing.

The least it could have done is to display the task name to give some clue. The alerts, in particular yellow alerts, were really only of use to programmers when developing software. By itself, an alert was as useful as a paper newsletter telling people to goto a URL to read the news when they don't even have a computer.

The alert list on that site is rather old. Australia hasn't used 7 digit phone numbers for yonks. We've had 8 digit local numbers for years without prefix.

Hypex 
Posted on 21-Sep-2019 15:42:01
#29 ]
Elite Member

@bennymee

Now you say it, I do recall reading about a similar problem somewhere. Where some cards didn't like to soft reboot because they only liked to reset on a proper hardware reset. But Ctrl-Alt-Alt should perform a hardware reset. I wonder if it just does it through software rather than using a hardware register to do it.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 21-Sep-2019 15:48:23
#30 ]
Elite Member

@bennymee

the USB is part of the OS, if OS crashes and USB is crashed, then CTRL+ALT+ALT wont work.

however if it's only the graphic has frozen then its might be possible to press CTRL+ALT+ALT, frozen screen can happen if there is bug in intuition locking, or if GRIM pop up after intuition has been locked. In this case, you can open console on AUX: or SER0: and you can get crash logs and do stuff from there while the graphics is frozen. Not everyone has a serial port connected to there AmigaONE-X1000, the debug serial port was optional.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Sep-2019 at 10:24 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 21-Sep-2019 15:51:32
#31 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Yes but USB stack is not running in the background, its part of the OS, and depending on how the OS crashes, it might work or might not work.

CTRL+ALT+ALT reboots to CFE or UBOOT; while CTRL+WIN+WIN reboots just the ExecSG kernel.

Hypex 
Posted on 21-Sep-2019 15:54:54
#32 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

You know, had you not told me that, I wouldn't have been able to tell from the final mix. The rhythm sounds like any acoustic instrument. It may be backing under the the lead guitar but it has a character all of its own. The drums have a natural sound to complete it as well. Nicely done.

bennymee 
Posted on 21-Sep-2019 15:56:35
#33 ]
Cult Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Usb does not crash, they are crashes after a Grimreaper..

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 21-Sep-2019 22:32:54
#34 ]
Elite Member

@bennymee

Everything can crash, a lot of stuff can be overwritten, in AmigaOS, the memory protection in AmigaOS only stops some bugs. Many bugs can go unnoticed. Only when you test small code snippets in more secure operating systems like Linux or Windows will the bug be found in many cases talking from my own experience.

Many bugs can give strange results, bugs might show up in the wrong places sometimes to. this way when developers ask so many questions, because there are so many things that can go wrong.

nbache 
Posted on 21-Sep-2019 23:07:24
#35 ]

@lylehaze

Quote:
Another one I have had issues with, apparently with both CFE and UBoot machines, is the rather confusing selection of boot volume. Here's what it looks like as best I can tell:
When cold booting, you may select a boot volume from the list of available. Kickstart is then loaded from the volume specified, all good so far..
then AmigaOS will choose the "System" partition based on available volumes and priorities, no matter what was selected before.

This has led me to testing software with a mismatched Kickstart/Workbench on multiple occasions. It's more annoying each time it catches me off guard.
There's a CFE variable you can set to make it always boot the system from the same volume you booted from. I forgot its name (I'm still using the older method with the BootDevice modules in each KickConfig), but I know Severin knows it

Best regards,

Niels

MichaelMerkel 
Posted on 23-Sep-2019 12:37:06
#36 ]
Cult Member

@nbache

Quote:

nbache wrote:
There's a CFE variable you can set to make it always boot the system from the same volume you booted from. I forgot its name (I'm still using the older method with the BootDevice modules in each KickConfig), but I know Severin knows it

faster.

setenv os4_bootdevice auto

should be standard config imho

regards...
michael

Hypex 
Posted on 14-Oct-2019 14:25:40
#37 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

If the USB stack is gone none of the reset combos will work.

Hypex 
Posted on 14-Oct-2019 14:27:42
#38 ]
Elite Member

@MichaelMerkel

And before I found out about os4_bootdevice I was manually adding BootDevice into my Kicklayouts like a tool.

BillE 
Posted on 15-Oct-2019 13:58:31
#39 ]

@Hypex

Quote:

Whilst I've been using my X1000 as my OS4 machine full time I...
Despite the X1000 being better overall hardware than the XE, I am finding I am having some issues. Most noticeably, system freezes.

Unfortunately I find the same. OS4/X1000 has become very flakey. It seems sometimes just clicking or moving the mouse can cause problems - USB maybe ?

Quote:

Some tasks can easily trip up the X1000. UAE also freezes but the X1000 specific JIT version seems fine, just lacking P96 when I ran it with my setup. I've had Odyssey freeze the system before. It's going okay now but always closes itself on exit while leaving a child task hanging around.

I cannot say about UAE as I have not used it for a good while. Last time I did it seemed OK.

As for Odyssey,l it often causes problems. Clicking or moving the mouse can cause a GR which seems to point to graphics library and initiates from one of Odyssey's Webcore drag routines I think. Most of the time you can click through the GR but sometimes it causes a total lock up.

The Child error I get nearly all the time almost every time I quit Odyssey.

Odyssey also frequently totally hogs the CPU, especially if using the file inspector with todays non standard JS and CSS you ofen need to do just to make elements visible. Once the CPU is at 100% which it often stays for a long time you cannot do much other than swich screens and maybe very slowly use other applications. Odyssey just sits there until it decides to release the CPU.

Maybe these are problems of being a port rather than a native application ? Even so Odyssey is realistically the only useable browser on Amiga these days. Unless IB 3 (I hope) will have CSS and upto date JS support we are really stuck with insability from Odyssey

Quote:
Unlike the XE where a soft reboot could be performed, the X1000 is a hard reboot only to recover from such a crash. And this is more annoying, because unlike the XE, the X1000 takes longer to boot. More frustrating.

Don't get me started the boot time of the X1000 has always been an issue, I cannot understand how the devs can be so patient with it. Especially when coding parts of the OS there are bound to be system freezes now and again! Unfortunately the initial hard boot is still excruciatingly slow even after all this time.

Quote:

So, what is other peoples experience of the X1000 and stability? Is it stable? Or do you experience instability?

Too much!

OK I do run some 68k software which is LONG past its sell by date, Wordworth, TurboCalc, Money Matters, Golded etc. which I guess can be expecting to have problems due to being coded for cery low memory machines with 68k processors. WW7 and Golded tend to be fine, but TC and especially MM can cause GRs and lockups. MM is even worse if you do not have MM disabled from JIT in the compatibility prefs. One day I guess I'll just have to reverse engineer it and use a modern more stable version !

Golded is OK but for a brief time when I had a nice large monitor running at a high resolution it caused GRs and sometimes lockups. It worked if I reduced the Workbench resolution but that defeated the point of having a bigger monitor. It seems to be due to the following error which I could sometimes click past.

The problem was "solved" when cleaning up my desk I knocked the monitor onto the floor and broke it so I am back to my old "small" size of 1980 x 1020. A rather drastic way of getting Golded to work again and not recommended!

The other cause of lockups is printing to an HP Photosmart C510. It is OK with just text but anything involving graphics causes a lockup with not even a GR. I did try the latest Photosmart driver but still got lockups and with text an extra page with @PCL3 written on it if I recall. I have to convedrt files to PDFs and email them to the printer which is a bit of a hassle. I think you are the author of the HP Photosmart driver maybe we can fix it !

Apart from the gripes above, I love my X1000 (and the spare I have) and use it as my main everyday machine

PR 
Posted on 16-Oct-2019 12:10:59
#40 ]

The XE was in a factory over here. Cleaning dust and changing some parts. They were flaky.

Now it's waiting under the desk and using the 10 times cheaper new pc. Very sad but nothing new to run on it.

Maybe someday.

Sorry to hear the X1000 has problems too. In this technology boost it's kind of comical we get even slower things maybe in a few years like the tabor..

XE Ruled. Maybe a new OS version could be bought, (Again) And then the inspiration comes back.

Hyperion seems to go back from 4,2 to 3,1.

Last edited by PR on 16-Oct-2019 at 12:19 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle