Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 142 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 blmara:  9 mins ago
 miggymac:  52 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 41 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 20 mins ago
 DWolfman:  3 hrs 29 mins ago
 cncparts:  5 hrs 3 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  5 hrs 49 mins ago
 Beajar:  6 hrs 8 mins ago
 Rob:  6 hrs 11 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  AmigaOne X1000 stability
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
bennymee 
Re: AmigaOne X1000 stability
Posted on 16-Oct-2019 12:30:59
#41 ]
Cult Member

@PR

>Sorry to hear the X1000 has problems too. In this technology boost it's kind of comical we get even slower things maybe in a few years like the tabor..

Well, mine is much more stable the my G4 XE and SAM 440, Sam 460 sofar!

Profile     Report this post  
Hypex 
Posted on 16-Oct-2019 15:51:10
#42 ]
Elite Member

@BillE

Quote:
Unfortunately I find the same. OS4/X1000 has become very flakey. It seems sometimes just clicking or moving the mouse can cause problems - USB maybe ?

At this point I may be forced to agree. It would seem I typed too soon. As soon as I say I don't recall seeing any freezes when plugging in USB devices, today I plugged in a USB stick and my X1000 froze. Sigh...

I did some debugging and the mass storage task had crashed. No grimmie. Silent crash and freeze job.

I found a spare RAM stick I had picked up somewhere in a drawer. Added it in and my X1000 now had 4GB. Hooray for Linux. But then I found later it was crashing on boot. As soon as AmigaBoot was loading it just kept resetting. Pulled the RAM thinking that was it. On again and it still crashed! Seriously.

I pulled USB devices out like my KB and mouse. Got it booting. Then plugged them back in. Still boots again. Shouldn't have to pull the KB out to boot. These random things annoy me. My KB keeps stopping even though the mouse conected to it is still working.

Quote:
I cannot say about UAE as I have not used it for a good while. Last time I did it seemed OK.

I have to use the X1000 EUAE-JIT build. All others crash in seconds. But it lacks the P96 support of the standard version and I have no RTG.

Quote:
As for Odyssey,l it often causes problems. Clicking or moving the mouse can cause a GR which seems to point to graphics library and initiates from one of Odyssey's Webcore drag routines I think. Most of the time you can click through the GR but sometimes it causes a total lock up.

It crashed on me recently. I don't think it likes YouTube. But FireFox can be unstable on there as well. Usually the system is still going. I've got a collection of crash logs for it.

Quote:
The Child error I get nearly all the time almost every time I quit Odyssey.

That's the one! I get it everytime.

Quote:
Odyssey just sits there until it decides to release the CPU.

Lack of JS-JIT, WebAssembly and most of all lack of an Intel CPU every thing is optimsed for. The modern web is coded to be slow. Doesn't look much different to what it did to me five or ten years ago. But it needs a super computer for running basic web pages now days.

Quote:
Maybe these are problems of being a port rather than a native application ?

Yep. Plus 2GB RAM limitations. Running on an OS that has no proper resource tracking. Nor virtual memory when things get tight.

Quote:
Don't get me started the boot time of the X1000 has always been an issue, I cannot understand how the devs can be so patient with it. Especially when coding parts of the OS there are bound to be system freezes now and again! Unfortunately the initial hard boot is still excruciatingly slow even after all this time.

Oh no. But you are right on those points. I've examined CFE output live when booting. I'd like to put a timer on it. But it tends to spend a second on HDD ports. Then more seconds listing empty USB devices. Given KB must be in a specific port and USB devices can't be booted from nor work in my USB ports I don't see why it is looking for anything.

Quote:
Too much!

Yep!

Quote:
OK I do run some 68k software which is LONG past its sell by date, Wordworth, TurboCalc, Money Matters, Golded etc

I also run Wordworth and TurboCalc. They are mostly stable but I have seen them crash. The system is still fine.

Quote:
The problem was "solved" when cleaning up my desk I knocked the monitor onto the floor and broke it so I am back to my old "small" size of 1980 x 1020. A rather drastic way of getting Golded to work again and not recommended!

How bizarre! I thought GoldED was still being developed? One of them was.

The Assertion failed should have stopped it crashing by catching it first. And then perhaps pulling the rug out from the programs feet. That's usually put in to aid in debugging and shouldn't be in a final version.

Quote:
The other cause of lockups is printing to an HP Photosmart C510. It is OK with just text but anything involving graphics causes a lockup with not even a GR.

I've never heard of this one!

Quote:
I did try the latest Photosmart driver but still got lockups and with text an extra page with @PCL3 written on it if I recall.

Yes it uses extra codes.

Quote:
I think you are the author of the HP Photosmart driver maybe we can fix it !

Opps sorry.

Yes it was me. I wrote it for use with a Photosmart. Or rather, modifed an existing HP driver. At first because it needed job codes sent or the printer would stall after printing. I added PCL3GUI codes later as I updated my printer and found it wouldn't accept PCL3 anymore. So I modded it to do PCL3GUI. Unfortunately it broke on some printers which didn't like the @ job commands. I may need to split the driver. Photosmart that can accept PCL3. And Deskjet that only accepts PCL3GUI. The job commands are another matter.

Last edited by Hypex on 17-Oct-2019 at 03:15 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 16-Oct-2019 21:29:42
#43 ]
Elite Member

@BillE

I create a video on youtube, have look at it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CPCo3NLDY8&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 16-Oct-2019 at 09:30 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle