Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 173 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

CosmosUnivers

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 CosmosUnivers:  3 mins ago
 pixie:  7 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  33 mins ago
 AmigaPapst:  33 mins ago
 RobertB:  38 mins ago
 jPV:  52 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  58 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 42 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 41 mins ago
 djnick:  4 hrs 1 min ago

/  Forum Index
   /  MorphOS Software
      /   Public Release of MorphOS 3.12
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
PosterThread
outrun1978 
Re: Public Release of MorphOS 3.12
Posted on 14-Oct-2019 15:48:57
#101 ]
Cult Member

@ASiegel

Some of us are still running version 3.11 here 😉 So congratulations on updating your website with this small but very important detail I am sure it will help anyone still left who interested in using your platform despite its many flaws and limitations many of which I have kindly highlighted for you. Booting from a USB is pretty much de-facto across any platform nowadays so am surprised it took you guys so long to make it well known to others. The lack of any specific X5000 related troubleshooting on your website is pretty bad too. In short it needs sorting, pronto matey!

Having tried to be objective and present positive projections of your “work” it’s time to redress things and also insert a dose of reality for anyone else interested in spending their hard earned cash and yes unless you plan on rummaging EBay for a cheap X1650 for a 2nd hand card and plan to run it full time, 79 Euro would be better off spent elsewhere. As much as you appear to revel in the adulation of your work, criticism and constructive criticism at that, is something you appear to struggle with big time.

If this was a magazine review I’d rate the system 6/10 with a X1650 card. Good solid performance with lots of room for improvement particularly in areas of customer support.

The score will drop to 2/10 if using an X5000 with a series 4000-5000 card. Summarised as very limited choice of software options and very extensive work required on bringing drivers up to date, combined with the aforementioned bad support and concerns about its long term future.

But you kind of knew that already right. 😉

Profile     Report this post  
ASiegel 
Posted on 14-Oct-2019 16:07:09
#102 ]

@outrun1978

Quote:
Some of us are still running version 3.11 here

I guess you mean "still NOT running".

Quote:
But you kind of knew that already right.

Well, I do know that MorphOS is a really, really bad fit for anybody who buys a 2,000+ EUR PowerPC machine for the primary purpose of playing 3D games on it and who would rather use an iPad than said machine for writing blog posts.

I genuinely wished you had figured out MorphOS was not for you before you bought a keyfile and while testing the free demo version. The level of bitterness expressed in your posts here is quite painful to read.

outrun1978 
Posted on 14-Oct-2019 16:15:33
#103 ]
Cult Member

@ASiegel

You know what I may just get round to doing a few more Amiga posts for my blog, thanks for helping to write much of the necessary wording for it too with your postings, they have been insightful as always 😉 and means I don’t have to do much of the work.

Thanks for being such a good interviewer in such a short number of questions it, was quite eye-opening and the Amiga community really appreciates it.

Quote:
I genuinely wished you had figured out MorphOS was not for you before you bought a keyfile and while testing the free demo version.

From my blog post

https://amigax5000.wordpress.com/2018/07/

After spending a few weeks with a Mac Mini G4 testing out MorphOS, I decided this was indeed worth the hassle, so I went on eBay to locate a Radeon X1550 graphics card which I ended up picking up off there for the “Buy It Now” price of £7.00.

I believe the official term for your behaviour thus far is something that rhymes with lolling? 😉

Cheers for the motivation sunshine!

Last edited by outrun1978 on 14-Oct-2019 at 04:26 PM.

TRIPOS 
Posted on 14-Oct-2019 18:40:20
#104 ]

It turns out that supporting the X5000 was not only pointless, it was obviously an outright mistake. I think the support for it should be removed in the next release, all three users should be refunded, and then MorphOS should stay way clear of any “OS4 hardware” from A-Eon in the future so that these “special people” can be contained in their “special environment”.

outrun1978 
Posted on 14-Oct-2019 19:50:28
#105 ]
Cult Member

@TRIPOS

Quote:
It turns out that supporting the X5000 was not only pointless

How is increasing the number of potential licences sold for your platform pointless? Money sold from licences brings in revenues, it can help fund further development in other areas after all that port you showed off at Amiga 34 to AMD 64 costs time and money. More people bring other people along with them, they tell others, they in turn bring new people along and new money and new investment.

Insulting the very people who have actually made a number of very positive blog posts about your platform when no one else is willing to give your team any free publicity is not exactly good business sense neither is insulting them on online forums .

Zylesea 
Posted on 14-Oct-2019 20:31:55
#106 ]
Elite Member

@TRIPOS

If I twist my mind a bit I may understand what you could want to say. But eventually the logic is twisted. Removing support is no way forward or productive or somehow positive. MorphOS on Cyrus+ runs stable and good, hence there is no reason to remove it.

Just dont care and enjoy. Dunno how any Cyrus+ MorphOS users there are. Not many, as with the G5 you have the even more powerful option for a fraction of the price and the number of commercially used/retailed MorphOS machines is probably rather little to say the least. hence for most Cyrus+ customers the main reason to get such a machine is OS4 (OS4 has no hardware alternative) - no wonder these customers focus on OS4. but providing support for Cyrus+ is not bad per se - and there are a few Cyrus+/MorphOS users which should not get excluded, Cyrus+ is one of the many supported platforms. Not better nor worse than the others.

Anyway, in a few few years we can close the ppc chapter and move on.
Gladly.

Zylesea 
Posted on 14-Oct-2019 20:42:17
#107 ]
Elite Member

@outrun1978

I think your use case for MorphOS on Cyrus+ is not that bad. Eventually you may have saved the 79 EUR for registering, but the good thing on your purchase is that the MorphOS key is (more or less at least) valid eternally.
You experienced good and bad things with MorphOS - currently your view on the Cyrus+ is a bit more on the negative side, which may or may not change again in the future.
If you put away MorphOS now - 79 EUR with not that much reward but also not none. And if you decide later on to give it another try, you are prepared -you have the hardware, you have the key. I mean, i could imagine are worse cases...

Eventually this is primarily for having fun.

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 14-Oct-2019 21:21:10
#108 ]
Elite Member

@ASiegel

If I can help with testing to get better support for MorphOS on the X5000 please let me know. I’d like to help improve the situation for others.

outrun1978 
Posted on 14-Oct-2019 21:32:30
#109 ]
Cult Member

@Zylesea

Thanks for the more conciliatory tone, it is appreciated in amongst the more radical heads. It should be noted that at no point since I interjected myself into this thread did I come out and asked specifically for my existing graphics card to be supported.

I was well aware of what the requirements and expectations. Regular readers to my blog will know I tried it out first with a Mac Mini G4 and I have tried different cards, but I also been quite honest with myself with my gripes or lack of support on forums, people who are being asked to pay for a product will have the right to do this and form an opinion and sometimes it will not always be rosy or what you want to hear.

I’ve tried to be constructive here and this is no different to the advice I’ve even given out to one individual on a MorphOS forum who enquired about buying an X5000 just to use MorphOS.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12702&forum=11

Quote:
To use MorphOS to its fullest potential and have 3D gaming on the X5000 it will mean using a 2nd hand Radeon X1650 which is about 14 years old and you will probably be stuck with VGA output. Just make sure it is a PCI Express version and you will be fine. . A 2nd hand series 4000 card won’t give you 3D gaming but I think is preferable over a series 5000-6000 card because of hardware overlay. I have tested a few cards and found the HDMI output can be a little suspect. Never really encountered any issues with USB, DVD drive or sound cards. The only odd issue I’ve found is with the Internet using a 8168 network card where you have to reset the machine sometimes to connect to the internet.

Or on a Hyperion forum even!

http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=4294

quote]have all three OS's installed on their X5000, but in honesty you will need to decide what is important to you when using the machiine on a day to day basis and where. If 3D is important on Amiga OS then make sure you are using a Southern Islands graphics card (Radeon 7750 or R7 260/270) and forget about Linux or MorphOS at least for the time being. As Christian as pointed out, you can use Linux but you won't be able to benefit from Hardware acceleration. I haven't tried the two graphics card solution he has suggested, however, MorphOS will not support running from a 2nd graphics card. If you want to use MorphOS, AmigaOS and Linux on the same machine, then consider using either a Radeon 1650 card or a Radeon series 4000,5000 or 6000 series card. Each has their benefits and flaws which I will lay out below: Use of a Radeon 1650 card will mean you have 3D and TinyGL support in MorphOS and hardware accelration. Support for hardware acceleation is possible in Linux, however as the card only supports up to Open GL 2.0, you will struggle to play 3D games in Linux that require OpenGL 3.0 and above (Super Tux Kart). On AmigaOS 4 forget about any 3D and due to the age and specs of the card, video playback won't be fantastic through MPlayer or Emotion although it is acceptable if you tweak some settings. Use of a Series 4000 card will mean no 3D support in MorphOS, but you will get 2D hardware acceleration and Overlay, this is important if you like to run emulators or anything than needs an upscaling of the screen from the size of a postage stamp to display in full screen or need to play back any video without serious tweaking. You also lose out TinyGL support in MorphOS which mean that a lot of games that require this will not run. in Linux this should work fine and support hardware acceleration. OpenGL support is up to 3.3 on these types of cards so should run most 3D stuff. Use of a series 5000 or 6000 card will be the best option for Linux in terms of 3D games performance and video playback. In MorphOS you will lose the overlay which mean that you will struggle to play stuff like PC Engine emulators Hu-Go, Dgen or anything else that requires overlay to display in fullscreen. The use of all three OS's will require some compromise and again this is down to personal choice about what you will want to use your system for on a daily basis. It would be nice if all three could support the same graphics card some day and to the same level, but the setups are how they are at the moment until support comes along. Please do check out the alternative options and decide for yourself if that is something you want to keep, for me it is very much about personal preference and needs rather than one over the other. [/quote]

The people who post such things seek guidance, advice and support, you all need to treat them as someone special. Do you know why? because keep them happy and they will tell someone else and follow you on that journey. Without those people your plans and journey will come to an end. The ultimate insult to a band of talented artists is to play to an empty house.

I was actually at Amiga 34 this weekend and spent quite a bit of time listening to various people talking and showing off their hardware. One person from the Vampire Team really impressed me because he let me play around with one of the stand-alone vampires. I’m not sure if I will buy one, but he still let me play around with it anyway. He asked me what type of things I used my Amiga for and told him I had an X5000 and a MIST. We had a discussion about emulation and how sometimes AGA software isn’t emulated so well and gave him examples of how Virtual Karting 2 doesn’t display too well under emulation or on the MIST. I asked if I could try it on the Vampire and it was pretty much the same story. But you know what he thanked me for showing him what didn’t work on his platform, because he said that kind of stuff is invaluable, it lets us know what people do want and what we can try and do to fix things.

It was quite an achievement to see you running MorphOS running on a Ryzen machine on your stall, but I’ll be honest it was really sad and disheartening not to see an X5000 being shown on your table, neither was it nice to see all the Do Not Touch signs. You had an A4000 running MorphOS I remember right? I never realised that MorphOS was running on that machine and it would have been nice to see what it could do on such hardware.

Last edited by outrun1978 on 14-Oct-2019 at 09:51 PM.

bennymee 
Posted on 8-Feb-2020 10:20:35
#110 ]
Cult Member

@all

3.12 is obsolete, 3.13 is ready:

https://www.morphos-team.net/releasenotes/3.13

Templario 
Posted on 8-Feb-2020 13:59:17
#111 ]
Elite Member

@bennymee
Wellll!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle