Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 121 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

kolla

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  3 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  50 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 kiFla:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 kriz:  1 hr 58 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  2 hrs 6 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 22 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 32 mins ago
 Karlos:  2 hrs 34 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  SCSI CD Drive Not Showing On Workbench
Register To Post

PosterThread
spudmiga 
SCSI CD Drive Not Showing On Workbench
Posted on 7-Oct-2019 22:54:28
#1 ]
Cult Member

Hi guys.

I have just acquired a Squirrel and an external SCSI drive from eBay after I seen them going for a fair price. Now I have not had any joy with Squirrels in the past (I posted here four years ago with a similar issue with a different setup and never got anywhere), and going even further back to my first A1200 I could never get the Squirrel/CD to talk to Workbench... but I am back to have another go hoping that some more wisdom may help alas I am still struggling. This time I have managed to get some screenshots from my miggy so hopefully it will be easier for folks to have a look and see what the problem could be.

My set up is fairly straight forward... A1200, 8mb Ram expansion (limited to 4mb to avoid pcmcia conflict), cf card, pcmcia reset patch is running, Squirrel SCSI interface installed, OS 3.1, 4gb internal flash drive, Yamaha external 16x10x40 SCSI CD RW.

The drive was intiially set to unit 3 on the back, but I have since changed it to unit 0 because the SCSI Mounter as part of the Squirrel software seems to identify it as unit 0 so I thought it would be best for it to match that.

Note that the status is "not ready". When I insert an Amiga Format cover CD into the drive it spins up then slows down, and the yellow light goes to a steady orange on the drive and no icon pops up on Workbench.

If I try accessing the CD from the shell I get the following messages:

I have read nothing but bad things about the built in Commodore CD file system so tried AmiCDFS from Aminet as the other filing systems such as CacheCDFS, Allegro and AsimCDFS seem impossible to find - but still no joy. Though there is something working as the CD Player program that comers with AmiCDFS whilst it does not read or play any disc will eject the drive if I push the eject button.

Below is a screenshot of the CD0 file from Ed:

and the CD0 information from Workbench, does it all look right? It does to me...

Any ideas guys what can make that magical CD0 icon appear on my Workbench?

Thanks in advance guys.. any help appreciated before I give up and just go the IDE route.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I have fitted a SCSI terminator to the back of the device but that has made no difference.

A flummoxed Spud.

Last edited by spudmiga on 07-Oct-2019 at 11:25 PM.

Night Operations

A1200 020/28MHz + 64Mb / 4Gb CF / OS 3.1.4.1 / 1438S
A500+ / 2Mb
A600

Profile     Report this post  
BigD 
Re: SCSI CD Drive Not Showing On Workbench
Posted on 8-Oct-2019 7:46:49
#2 ]
Elite Member

@spudmiga

I swear by AsimCDFS as it just works once you select the 'atapi' device and unit number. Got a bit confused with all the CD music requirements only being supported by certain drives etc but other than that it wasn't black magic for me.

P.S. I've never worked out why devices have confusing names like scsi devices being controlled by the 'atapi' device etc. Maybe that's just on the built in SCSI on the A4000T?

Last edited by BigD on 08-Oct-2019 at 07:54 AM.

thomas 
Posted on 8-Oct-2019 12:57:22
#3 ]

@spudmiga

You should not edit the Commodore CD0 file but rather replace it by the one which comes with AmiCDFS. There is a Control line in it which gives you control over various options. You should play around with direct-SCSI and disk change options.

Device names are case sensitive. Is squirrelscsi.device correct? Could it be SquirrelSCSI.device?

spudmiga 
Posted on 9-Oct-2019 23:07:30
#4 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@spudmiga

I swear by AsimCDFS as it just works once you select the 'atapi' device and unit number. Got a bit confused with all the CD music requirements only being supported by certain drives etc but other than that it wasn't black magic for me.

I have read a lot of good comments about this filesystem but it seems impossible to find. After doing research it seems to be a commercial product that is no longer available.. if anyone knows where I can find this (legally) let me know.

Last edited by spudmiga on 09-Oct-2019 at 11:07 PM.

Night Operations

A500+ / 2Mb
A600

spudmiga 
Posted on 9-Oct-2019 23:16:03
#5 ]
Cult Member

@thomas

According to the manual it is all lowercase.
I have moved the Commodore CD0 file to storage and replaced the one in Devs/Dosdrivers with the AmiCDFS one, there is no tool types on the information icon this does not seem right?

I have edited the AmiCDFS CD0 file to the correct device of squirrelscsi.device and unit number but still no joy. What is frustrating is that when I first start up tI can hear the drive come to life, the busy light starts flashing then it just comes to a halt and I get the steady orange light again.

Edit: Cd0 information has been edited to the following

ACTIVATE=1
DEVICE=squirrelscsi.device
UNIT=0

Still nothing.

Last edited by spudmiga on 09-Oct-2019 at 11:18 PM.

Night Operations

A500+ / 2Mb
A600

thomas 
Posted on 10-Oct-2019 8:05:08
#6 ]

@spudmiga

Like I said you should play with the options in the Control card. Enable or disable Direct-SCSI, enable or disable disk-change interrupts, change the disk change polling interval.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle