Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 130 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  9 mins ago
 t0lkien:  14 mins ago
 amigakit:  34 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  48 mins ago
 Troels:  1 hr 49 mins ago
 Gunnar:  2 hrs 4 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 9 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 33 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  3 hrs 39 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 51 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  Is this the end for using YAM and SimpleMail as an email client?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Hypex 
Re: Is this the end for using YAM and SimpleMail as an email client?
Posted on 31-Oct-2019 16:17:20
#21 ]
Elite Member

@Xenic

Quote:
Over a year ago my ISP informed me that they were switching IMAP and the POP3 server would be deactivated. They did provide the option of switching to a secure POP3 port.

Sounds like they went back on their word. Telling you POP3 would be deactivated then giving another POP3 option.

Quote:
I switched to the secure POP3 port and set YAM to use SSL/TLS which has been working ever since. I switched POP3 ports at GMail & Yahoo and started using YAM SSL/TLS. Only the latest dev version of YAM works because it supports the latest AmiSSL

Ah yes, another YAMism. Only the dev version works. I've also set it up to receive Yahoo and GMail. But not to send with it. Actually after having a looks YAM looks too complicated to setup that way. User settings in one window. Email config in another section. SMTP in another tab. Makes it hard to define one account with all these settings you can pick from.

This is funny. YAM just crashed in the background. I tried to test a server but it didn't respond. Closed the window and thought that was that. Now it tells me there is a seever error and crashes on thread 2. Clean up in thread 2.

Quote:
At that time both GMail and Yahoo had email settings to allow email from unrecognized email clients which they considered insecure. The problem was that everytime I used the GMail & Yahoo servers with YAM I got a warning email stating that a suspicious email was received. Since Verizon bought Yahoo the email settings no longer even have a setting to allow suspicious emails to be downloaded in your email client.

So that's what happened to that. I made use of that for a while. No wonder it broke.

Quote:
I think YAM will become useless if the devs don't stop focusing on minor changes to the MUI libraries that YAM uses and focus on implementing IMAP and possibly spoofing as accepted email clients. I currently have no problems sending emails to GMail addresses.

I just sent myself an email. Both plain and with RTF. It marked both as spam. I won't be able to email myself a Gmail. Yahoo still works. But either way I can't send emails from another address.

One major problem YAM has is the inability to look at pictures. They should be displayed with the email. Instead it gives you a list. The list is useless. Double clicking a picture just gives an error that MultiView can't be opened. I thought MUI supported images.

It also needs HTML. Almost every email looks crap. HTML is a type of Multipurpose Internet Mail Extension. YAM has never supported it. It's a mail extension by definition, text/html. There is no escaping any longer.

Just because my ISP web mail doesn't even know what HTML is, even though it is written using HTML, is not an excuse for YAM to not know it. Seriously it doesn't display them by default, I have to click on he HTML attachment.

Quote:
P.S. If you google 'RTF mime' you will find that there are several MIMES in use for RTF. You might try manually setting a different MIME for RTF in YAM (such as text/rtf).

Okay thanks. Just tried. GMail stil rejects it. But it doesn't like me.

Profile     Report this post  
Hypex 
Posted on 3-Nov-2019 14:46:16
#22 ]
Elite Member

@jacadcaps

Good work. So what is the source for Iris? If it needed ObjC and a MUI framework to function.

Xenic 
Posted on 3-Nov-2019 16:19:50
#23 ]

@Hypex

Quote:
One major problem YAM has is the inability to look at pictures. They should be displayed with the email. Instead it gives you a list. The list is useless. Double clicking a picture just gives an error that MultiView can't be opened. I thought MUI supported images.

It works for me. Check out your YAM Configuration/MIME settings. Here is what I have for the default viewer (bottom of MIME page): SYS:Utilities/Multiview PUBSCREEN Internet "%s".
If you have replaced Multiview with Multiviewer then your setting should be the path to Multiviewer.

Quote:
It also needs HTML. Almost every email looks crap. HTML is a type of Multipurpose Internet Mail Extension. YAM has never supported it. It's a mail extension by definition, text/html. There is no escaping any longer.

It would be nice to have HTML built in but I run YAM & Odyssey on a seperate 'Internet' screen and have my YAM MIME settings send the HTML to Odyssey if I double-click the HTML in an email message. My text/html MIME 'Viewer' setting looks like this: OpenURL FILE T:html.html `copy *>NIL: QUIET %s T:html.html`. Note the hash marks around the copy part. AmigaDOS executes that before calling Odyssey. I have openurl.library installed and have the openurl command in C: but URLOpen might work too.

I temporarily changed my GMAIL setting to accept messages from unknown clients (I think GMail calls them 'unsecure') and sent a message to my GMail address and and was able to D/L it with YAM (along with some warning messages from Google). I think Linux Thunderbird messages might be accepted so it could be interresting to check what Thunderbird has for client ID in a raw email and try editing a raw email in YAM and change the client settings to those used by Thunderbird. (At your own risk of course )

kolla 
Posted on 4-Nov-2019 6:13:36
#24 ]
Elite Member

Would think this could be used...

http://aminet.net/package/dev/mui/MCC_HTMLview-13.4

But heads up - HTML emails may have inline links to remote resources, and this can be used against you

jacadcaps 
Posted on 4-Nov-2019 8:30:34
#25 ]

@Hypex

Quote:
So what is the source for Iris? If it needed ObjC and a MUI framework to function.

MUI.framework was designed to make Iris possible.

Iris is a fully native application written entirely by me (50k+ lines of code and over 300 classes) in ObjectiveC++.

That said, making it possible required modifying intuition, MUI (reference counting, UTF-8 support), the SDK (to enable objc), Odyssey (stripping it down to leave just a plain webview), porting vmime (by Nicho), writing cryptostorage.library (by Piru).

Hypex 
Posted on 5-Nov-2019 14:17:37
#26 ]
Elite Member

@Xenic

Quote:
It works for me. Check out your YAM Configuration/MIME settings. Here is what I have for the default viewer (bottom of MIME page): SYS:Utilities/Multiview PUBSCREEN Internet "%s".If you have replaced Multiview with Multiviewer then your setting should be the path to Multiviewer.

Thanks. I took another look. I have MultiViewer installed but still like to use MultiView. By default YAM has the "%s" first which is fine. But I found a problem with the PUBSCREEN setting. It was set to YAM when I had called the screen Email. If it had told me that instead of telling me there was an 8009 error running MultiView I would have spotted it straight away. I hate those cryptic errors.

I found PNG isn't set up nor GIF. So set that up. Strangely JPG as set so it had the extension htm.

Quote:
It would be nice to have HTML built in but I run YAM & Odyssey on a seperate 'Internet' screen and have my YAM MIME settings send the HTML to Odyssey if I double-click the HTML in an email message.

I already had a text/html set up from somewhere. It actually worked. Set to use MultiView.

Quote:
I temporarily changed my GMAIL setting to accept messages from unknown clients (I think GMail calls them 'unsecure') and sent a message to my GMail address and and was able to D/L it with YAM (along with some warning messages from Google). I think Linux Thunderbird messages might be accepted so it could be interresting to check what Thunderbird has for client ID in a raw email and try editing a raw email in YAM and change the client settings to those used by Thunderbird.

I can actually unspam myself and so I can email myself. If I want to be a nomad no mates emailng to myself. But I didn't bother because it doesn't help when emailing other people. Sure I can tell them to check the spam folder but it isn't always obvious and they still might not see it.

Could be interesting to see what Thunderbird uses. Was always interested where all those ID numbers came from. The most hacking I've done is to change the From field in YAM.

OneTimer1 
Posted on 5-Nov-2019 17:22:59
#27 ]
Cult Member

@Rose

Quote:

Rose wrote:
@Hypex

RTF has been used as attack vector for nearly decade.

http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2010-3333 was probably first one in the wild.

Great example of "If you think that something is safe, it doesn't mean that it is."

Read again in the link you presented us.

Quote:

Stack-based buffer overflow in Microsoft Office XP SP3, Office 2003 SP3, Office 2007 SP2, Office 2010, Office 2004 and 2008 for Mac, Office for Mac 2011, and Open XML File Format Converter for Mac ...

The problem is Microsoft not RTF, they are all using the same code and all have the same problems.

Rose 
Posted on 5-Nov-2019 17:41:27
#28 ]
Cult Member

@OneTimer1
Quote:

Quote:

Stack-based buffer overflow in Microsoft Office XP SP3, Office 2003 SP3, Office 2007 SP2, Office 2010, Office 2004 and 2008 for Mac, Office for Mac 2011, and Open XML File Format Converter for Mac ...

The problem is Microsoft not RTF, they are all using the same code and all have the same problems.

Yeah, I get that reading is hard. Look it again also Mac is vulnerable. And that was just a list at time when vulnerability was found.

jacadcaps 
Posted on 5-Nov-2019 18:34:07
#29 ]

@Hypex

Trying to "spoof" as Thunderbird will not help with GMail - what really matters is how you authenticate. Your client would need to support OAuth2 for those problems to really go away.

Last edited by jacadcaps on 05-Nov-2019 at 06:34 PM.

K-L 
Posted on 5-Nov-2019 20:07:59
#30 ]

@jacadcaps

SimpleMail has no problem with Gmail. I'm using it daily

Hypex 
Posted on 6-Nov-2019 14:53:25
#31 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

Quote:
Would think this could be used...

Looks promising. But left to gather dust. Description is strange. Replaces MCC_TextEditor? Really? I replace the TextEditor with this HMTL viewer and all my YAM HTML problems go away?

Hypex 
Posted on 6-Nov-2019 14:59:30
#32 ]
Elite Member

@jacadcaps

Wow that is some major work. Amazing to think how much work goes into an application like an email client. But today is a complicated world.

Is Iris fairly tied to MorphOS? Or are ports to other Amiga flavours possible in the future?

Hypex 
Posted on 6-Nov-2019 15:07:59
#33 ]
Elite Member

@OneTimer1

Quote:

I was copying some text from a PDF and pasting it into Word. I needed to retain formatting so used paste special. It listed RTF as the one with the formatting intact. So, internally, even Microsoft uses RTF.

I wonder if I could infect Windows by copying a corrupt text and pasting it as RTF? Are all stylised text in danger of being corrupted? Don't open that email. Don't even look at it. And for Microsake don't copy and paste any text, it could contain a virus, it could be RTF.

Hypex 
Posted on 6-Nov-2019 15:11:53
#34 ]
Elite Member

@K-L

Is there a migrating from YAM to SimpleMail guide around? I might need it. Installed on my X1000 but I'm still being a fan of YAM.

K-L 
Posted on 6-Nov-2019 17:43:28
#35 ]

@Hypex

I don't think so unfortunately...

ktadd 
Posted on 7-Nov-2019 4:12:55
#36 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

Quote:
Is there a migrating from YAM to SimpleMail guide around?

Sorry, can't help with a guide but see kt_scripts for AREXX scripts that let you view html email in Odyssey at the press of a key with SimpleMail. A couple other scripts as well.
kt_scripts at OS4Depot link

jacadcaps 
Posted on 7-Nov-2019 21:50:14
#37 ]

@Hypex

Quote:
Or are ports to other Amiga flavours possible in the future?

I think it's unlikely that there'd be anyone willing to port it given the extensive list of dependencies.

Hypex 
Posted on 19-Jun-2021 16:58:32
#38 ]
Elite Member

@Alll

So I just got Yahoo working with YAM again. I'm sticking with an old 2020 version as I tried the latest nightly and it crashed. But it still has other bugs. I had disabled an old account and set up Yahoo in all the settngs and made Yahoo the only active one. The POP3 and SMTP settings work on the server. But when I tried to send an email it is using the old server I disactivated! I can see I will need to delete it all as YAM ignores it. So annoying. I don't know what are in all those nightly updates are as YAM hardly looks different and always has some bug. Perhaps a feature freeze would be best and fix all bugs until futher notice would work better.

A1200 
Posted on 19-Jun-2021 19:21:43
#39 ]
Elite Member

Just buy a PC already. Why torture yourself?

AmigaMac 
Posted on 20-Jun-2021 13:36:54
#40 ]

@A1200

Quote:

A1200 wrote:
Just buy a PC already. Why torture yourself?

That’s also considered torture to some people

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle