Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 165 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  31 mins ago
 pixie:  50 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 DWolfman:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 cncparts:  3 hrs 12 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  3 hrs 58 mins ago
 Beajar:  4 hrs 18 mins ago
 Rob:  4 hrs 20 mins ago
 agami:  5 hrs 23 mins ago
 RobertB:  5 hrs 43 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  24 years of PowerPC Amiga
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
ppcamiga1 
24 years of PowerPC Amiga
Posted on 4-Nov-2019 7:03:44
#1 ]
Cult Member

Twenty four years ago Petro Tyschtschenko announce that Amiga choose PowerPc

http://www.cucug.org/amiga/aminews/1995/at951104.html

http://www.cucug.org/amiga/aminews/1995/at951106.html

http://www.cucug.org/amiga/aminews/1995/at951111.html

Profile     Report this post  
kolla 
Re: 24 years of PowerPC Amiga
Posted on 4-Nov-2019 12:14:29
#2 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

Twenty four years ago Petro Tyschtschenko announce that Amiga choose PowerPc

Ah yes, the early days of what would evolve into an everlasting line of questionable announcements :)

tlosm 
Posted on 4-Nov-2019 14:43:01
#3 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

I remember really well that ages full of hope . And i remember my first A4000D with CybStorm 604e 150 mhz ad cybervision 3D It was 1997 if my mind work right.

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

kolla 
Posted on 4-Nov-2019 14:55:14
#4 ]
Elite Member

@tlosm

Quote:

tlosm wrote:
@kolla

I remember really well that ages full of hope . And i remember my first A4000D with CybStorm 604e 150 mhz ad cybervision 3D It was 1997 if my mind work right.

Yes, it was. I got my CSPPC in November of 1997, so it is now 22 years old - and still running :)

Last edited by kolla on 04-Nov-2019 at 02:55 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 4-Nov-2019 19:10:44
#5 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

Wow! 22 years of Candy Factory; you must have some creations from all that PPC power? That and have mastered Wipeout2097 and Payback! Was that about it for PPC only software?

Zylesea 
Posted on 4-Nov-2019 20:50:07
#6 ]
Elite Member

@ppcamiga1

Back in the days it was quite an announcemet! And the quickly followed failure of Escom was really a pity. They started out pretty nicely, but Escom itself was growing to fast and finally busted. Really a pity. Still, Phase5 kind of fullfilled AT's vision (before folding, too). And I really liked my BlizzardPPC. But I also was disappointed many years, that the ppc was not used that much.
When I first run a ppc operating system on it (MorphOS 0.4) I felt like finally it was delivering (some of) the promises.
When, in 2002 I got my Pegasos (first batch) I thought now it will become all good - the old promise of AT's transition to ppc got finally fullfilled. But then 1st OS4 messed up things and 2nd, a bit later, Apple left the ppc scene and left ppc in the void.

Today, conveniently accomondated within the ultra niche, my hopes are on mainstream hardware. MorphOS using Apple kit (Got my G4 mini more than 10 years ago!) is still doing well, but I count the days until I will replace my ppc kit with a current x64 machine.

BigD 
Posted on 4-Nov-2019 21:13:30
#7 ]
Elite Member

@Zylesea

People talk like x64 will sort everything out but comparing to how it worked out for the console the PS4 is very dull compared to the PS3 (I know it caused headaches for developers). Take SingStar as an example; on the PS3 even the non-PS2 compatible models could read the PS2 SingStar discs? They added value with the SingStore and sharing of user generated content and then they switched to the x64 architecture, dropped the ball and the SingStore servers shut down on the 31st January 2020! There are far more important factors at play than just CPU / ISA type.

Plus just selling hardware units does not mean the market is necessarily healthy; the PS4 was a runaway success because Microsoft fumbled the XBox One launch and the Wii U was a Tonka toy of a console.

ppcamiga1 
Posted on 4-Nov-2019 23:21:30
#8 ]
Cult Member

x64 will sort everything is something like biggest AROS followers lie that x86 will sort everything.
Nvidia makes closed source drivers only for win, osx, lnx, bsd.
Open source drivers for nvidia cards noveau used in AROS are worth nothing crap.
AROS on fast PC is slower than MOS on G5.

Last edited by ppcamiga1 on 04-Nov-2019 at 11:22 PM.

Zylesea 
Posted on 4-Nov-2019 23:59:44
#9 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Of course x64 will not sort everything out. But noone claimed it would.
What it actually does sort out is availability of powerfull, rather new and cheap hardware.
Another thing it will sort out is the code base of webkit.
I am fine with the ultra niche MorphOS provides now, my only two concerns for the coming years are:

- powerful and available hardware
- a rather up to date browser

And these things x64 wil get sort out. Currently MorphOS serves me well, but hardware-wise it is at the edge as is Odyssey (both still do their jobs surprisingly well, but it doesn't get easier). Beefy hardware and a well maintained webkit code base x64 will improve things on exact these both sites.

I neither expect masses to join MorphOS nor do I expect "killer" apps. As I know the MorphOS scene pretty well I may give that educated guess that _most_ MorphOS users will gladly do the switch to x64, hence community will not get weaker after the switch but at least stay rather stable.

Thing is: PPC is dead. If this is a good or bad thing may be debatable (I once was a great ppc supporter and so on), but the fact remains: it's pretty much dead. there are a few niches still , but at least on the desktop it vanished completely. And this is since Apple left ppc. I remember well the uncertainy and fear at the freescale seminars I was participating during the Apple departure. The end of ppc was clear back then - immediatly for the desktop and probably in general!

Nevertheless I will happily keep my 4 ppc machines and maybe even add a 5th (I lack a 64 bit system). But then I will gladly close that chapter after about a quarter of a century years. For good I guess.
And yet MorphOS is not there. May still take a while.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 5-Nov-2019 4:05:43
#10 ]
Elite Member

@ppcamiga1

That's a very creative piece of writing there.

Quote:
x64 will sort everything is something like biggest AROS followers lie that x86 will sort everything

Nope. Flat out lie. No-one said that. Ever. Point to a single instance of that happening.

Quote:
Open source drivers for nvidia cards noveau used in AROS are worth nothing crap

And yet, it has the highest number of supported cards, highest and most advanced feature set, best image quality, and offers best speed in the Amiga-verse.
AROS also doesn't just support NVidia.
If that's worth "nothing crap", then your opinion of OS4 and OS4 drivers much be appalling.

Quote:
AROS on fast PC is slower than MOS on G5

No. Just no.
Reality doesn't twist to will.
AROS on a faster Core2 (a microarch released 12 years ago) destroys anything PPC most of the time, let alone anything remotely new.

Have to wonder why someone would constantly post such drivel. You know it's crap, everyone else knows it's crap, so what's the end game?
To appear stupid and unstable? That's kinda weird dude.

kolla 
Posted on 5-Nov-2019 10:51:04
#11 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
Was that about it for PPC only software?

No, you missed MorphOS, Linux/APUS, NetBSD/AmigaPPC, OS4 an OS4.1FE.

BigD 
Posted on 5-Nov-2019 11:01:17
#12 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

So again the 'software' that you consider of importance to use on a PPC Amiga are actually just more operating systems?!

I don't know about you but I don't jump out of bed for the opportunity to move around a few windows, backup my Workbench partition or tweak the HD Toolbox Boot priority settings but hey each to their own

For the record; simply using AmigaOS, MorphOS, AROS etc will NEVER be enough to justify a new computer IMHO. Heck I can't even be bothered to re-partition my OSX iBook G4 to 'try' MorphOS. It's the Amiga programs that are of value not
'Show all files'
'Snapshot All'
... which by the way sucks. Is there a way to default bloody 'SHOW ALL FILES' in Workbench?

Hypex 
Posted on 5-Nov-2019 12:51:24
#13 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
So again the 'software' that you consider of importance to use on a PPC Amiga are actually just more operating systems?!

It was more than software. It was what the hardware could do. The Amiga was stalled on 68K. Apple had moved on and Intel was moving ahead. It was the next big thing that wasn't Intel. PowerPC gave the Amiga a chance to catch up with realistic speeds like 160 and 233Mhz. Combined with RTG cards it also gave it chance to play modern games and leave those chunky to planar blues behind. With 3d hardware acceleration coming around the same time.

Sure, it was at first only a co processor. And we had the kernel wars. But it opened up possibilities. I regret not buying that BlizzardPPC 160 when it was on special for my A1200. I was setup on my desktop and this neded a tower. But I soon felt the restriction of having an 030 with only AGA.

A good point is full OS, like MorphOS and later OS4. Even if that was late to the game.

Quote:
Heck I can't even be bothered to re-partition my OSX iBook G4 to 'try' MorphOS. It's the Amiga programs that are of value

You don't need to re-partition it. Just burn it to a CDR/W . Reset it boot the CD. Easy. Boots fairly fast.

Quote:
. Is there a way to default bloody 'SHOW ALL FILES' in Workbench?

Yeah I'm sure if you show then snapshot the window it should save it. But need to test that. I see what you are saying. It's annoying when inserting a USB drive and you have to do it. But then it looks crap. Anything without Amiga icons looks crap and tends to still look disorganised when you show all.

Last edited by Hypex on 05-Nov-2019 at 12:55 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 5-Nov-2019 13:19:51
#14 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
Anything without Amiga icons looks crap and tends to still look disorganised when you show all.

But that's just what happens when using PC files / Mac files from work etc. It is a shame that we can't just assume that not all USB stick / disks are going to use Amiga .info files in this day and age and update the system to act accordingly displaying the non .info files the best it can!

Last edited by BigD on 05-Nov-2019 at 01:27 PM.

kolla 
Posted on 5-Nov-2019 15:23:01
#15 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

You make a drawer, you open it, you select “show all files” “show as name” or whatever you want, and the snapshot the drawer and save the associated drawer.info as envarc:sys/def_drawer.info - now this is the default behavior for drawers that lack .info.

With MorphOS Ambient this is much easier.

Last edited by kolla on 05-Nov-2019 at 03:25 PM.

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 5-Nov-2019 15:54:05
#16 ]

@BigD

So, you have an iBook G4 gathering dust when you could browse the web with Odyssey, check your mails with Iris or playback a movie. 'Cause I can confirm for a fact that Safari on OSX is as good as IB 2.5 when it comes to modern web technologies, TenFourFox is a monolithic piece of software that halts every now and then and you get more frequent crashes of vlc/qtime than on an Amiga with Frogger. It's not bad admitting that you have no idea how to properly configure and use an Amiga OS: download some Amiga Formats PDFs from middle to late 90s and check all the major software that was released, track it down and install it. Chances are it work under API friendly on MorphOS too. Consequently you can start building an impressive 68k compatible software library. Then move on to PPC native software. Then head back and browse Aminet for new 68k commands-libs / WrapOS / RTG games (even the ports specially geared to Vampire work on MorphOS too since most need RTG/AHI).

My system partition alone, features more than 8GB of applications/tools/utilities/libs/commands/whatever (excluding the SDK). Can you guess the length of compatible software library, bearing in mind the relative small size of the apps?

Work:Games outputs 60GB (including whdload collection smoothly integrated on the OS via double clicking on the slave and/or through iGame/e-uae jit).

TBH, I think you should refrain from posting on matters that you hardly qualify.

BigD 
Posted on 5-Nov-2019 19:35:18
#17 ]
Elite Member

@Cool_amigaN

Wow You certainly told me

As previously mentioned the ibook G4 is in regular use as a scanner terminal. And your PPC software collection should be judged on quality not quantity. I still don't think things really progressed past Candy Factory and Wipeout 2097!

BigD 
Posted on 5-Nov-2019 23:33:01
#18 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

Quote:
You make a drawer, you open it, you select “show all files” “show as name” or whatever you want, and the snapshot the drawer and save the associated drawer.info as envarc:sys/def_drawer.info - now this is the default behavior for drawers that lack .info.

Thanks for this. I've given it a go and hopefully that will save some annoyance.

Ironically, despite my comments about not switching on an Amiga to mess around with windows and icons I have had fun with the 'Glow Icons Collection 2' package which has some really nice icons including finally a good Dune 2 Trooper icon!!!!

... it feels like I've come full circle having edited a 4 colour Trooper icon back in the day!

Hypex 
Posted on 6-Nov-2019 15:22:01
#19 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
But that's just what happens when using PC files / Mac files from work etc. It is a shame that we can't just assume that not all USB stick / disks are going to use Amiga .info files in this day and age and update the system to act accordingly displaying the non .info files the best it can!

It should be able to tell from filesystem. Or even default when no known files like .info exist. Of course OTOH those .info fies can look funny in Linux, for example.

More than a show all is needed. The layout needs to be clean. As well as hiding the PC/Mac/Linux trash and other junk it puts on there making another mess on an Amiga system. I do like the idea of a thumbnail cache building a set of icons from images.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 6-Nov-2019 22:02:02
#20 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
I still don't think things really progressed past Candy Factory and Wipeout 2097

Based on what? Your complete lack of experience with using ppc?
How very scientific and thorough.

Doesnt matter what you believe, youve demonstrated complete and utter cluelessness time, time and time again over the years.
Seems to be a trend with you. Absolute belief based on nothing.

Simple fact of the matter is you're wrong. Very, very wrong.
There's entire OSes and software bases that use PPC. How did you possibly miss that?
OS4, MOS, AROS, Mac OS, .... all usable on ppc "amigas", along with more quality software than 680x0 could dream of.

But hey, if you repeat the phrase "Candy Factory and Wipeout 2097" enough it must be true right?

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle