Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 177 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Luc:  19 mins ago
 matthey:  33 mins ago
 kolla:  41 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 54 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 15 mins ago
 BigD:  3 hrs 34 mins ago
 AndreasM:  4 hrs 18 mins ago
 zipper:  4 hrs 25 mins ago
 OlafS25:  4 hrs 50 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  What future for the Amiga platform?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
AP 
Re: What future for the Amiga platform?
Posted on 17-Dec-2019 17:19:23
#81 ]
Cult Member

@kolla: "Microsoft is a business and developing an OS when there are adequate free alternatives around makes less and less sense"

Just a reality-check: Windows has still a market share of about 90% and Linux about 3%.

So from a business-perspective your assumption makes not much sense.

OSmarketshare

Profile     Report this post  
liquidbit 
Posted on 17-Dec-2019 17:50:54
#82 ]

Amiga had the opportunity to invade the mobile world with its tiny OS, still can as there are no many players in this area.

It wouldn't be difficult to convert the RISC OS to an ARM processor.

@AP personal computers are dying from day to day, there is no future there, except if the Amiga Ecosystem will be focused to business applications which I doubt that is capable today, big software companies need to invest which I don't think that will ever happen.

bison 
Posted on 17-Dec-2019 18:32:03
#83 ]
Elite Member

@outlawal2

Quote:
Can I assume you understood what I was saying or do I need to explain it to you?

No, there's no need to explain, since you're just basically off on a rant anyway. Have fun.

@AP

Quote:
Just a reality-check: Windows has still a market share of about 90% and Linux about 3%.

I think it's actually closer to 2%, assuming that you're referring to desktop market share. It's much higher on servers, of course.

Ten Years Past GNOME's 10x10 Goal, The Linux Desktop Is Still Far From Having A 10% Marketshare

Last edited by bison on 17-Dec-2019 at 06:39 PM.
Last edited by bison on 17-Dec-2019 at 06:35 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 17-Dec-2019 18:36:58
#84 ]
Elite Member

@liquidbit

for serious work tablets and smartphones are not suited

of course private users who only needs something for web browsing and playing games and watch video do not need a desktop pc or notebook

Games still have high requirements... I recently looked at some current games... 6 GB RAM, i5 and 2 GB graphic card as minimum

Last edited by OlafS25 on 17-Dec-2019 at 06:38 PM.

blakespot 
Posted on 17-Dec-2019 21:46:43
#85 ]

I have a SAM-440epFlex. I wanted a Tabor A1222. I imported a case (same one Epsilon has on his Tabor) for it and waited. A few years. I've basically lost interest at this point, sadly. I am uncertain that it will ever be released, and even if it is, it flawed from the start largely.

As Haynie said, commodity PC parts rather than PowerPC should've been used way back when, post Commodore.

I also have an A1000 and A2000 020 and have owned more Amigas than I currently have. I love the Amiga, but it's not in a great place right now...

bp

amigadave 
Posted on 18-Dec-2019 0:49:15
#86 ]

@blakespot

AmigaOS4 is not in a great place right now, but the rest of the Amiga community is in great shape! Just look at how much is happening with AROS, MorphOS, and Classic AmgiaOS for 68k, as well as the work being done on the Vampire accelerator boards, and stand alone v4.

I think your view that "Amiga" is not in a great place right now is terribly narrow, and frankly inaccurate, if you will only look around the community more broadly, to see everything that is happening. The Tabor, as you pointed out, is in many eyes, "flawed from the start", but that fact does not mean that all of the Amiga universe is in poor shape. In many ways, interest and completed projects is better now than it has been in many past years. Enjoy your A1000 and A2000 machines, and perhaps consider getting some of the other alternatives, instead of waiting any longer for the Tabor to be released. In other words, enjoy NOW, because in the bigger sense of it all, NOW is all we ever really have.

Happy Holidays!

BigD 
Posted on 18-Dec-2019 12:01:07
#87 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

I agree with 99% of what your saying. Just one point

It's called Christmas (with a Capital C)!

kolla 
Posted on 18-Dec-2019 15:28:24
#88 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Not here, happy yule.

bison 
Posted on 18-Dec-2019 15:46:53
#89 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Merry Christmas!

Rose 
Posted on 18-Dec-2019 16:03:14
#90 ]
Cult Member

@kolla

Happy Saturnalia!

"Saturnalia was a lawless, drunken time in Rome where literally anything was okay — this was the original Purge, in which laws were suspended for a brief stretch of time.

Saturn, the Roman god of agriculture, liberation and time (and parties!), was celebrated at what is perhaps the most famous of the Roman festivals, the Saturnalia, It was a time of feasting, role reversals, free speech, gift-giving and revelry. (read: gender-bending sex, drinking, telling people off, trading gifts and doing whatever you want).

After solstice, the darkest night of the year, the renewal of light and the coming of the new year was celebrated in the later Roman Empire at the Dies Natalis of Sol Invictus, the “Birthday of the Unconquerable Sun,” on December 25."

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 18-Dec-2019 16:20:10
#91 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Are all the parties ready to bury the axe of war and cooperate?

Rose 
Posted on 18-Dec-2019 16:23:36
#92 ]
Cult Member

@AmigaBlitter

Think that Hyperion is looking for new bridges to burn and partners to screw?

BigD 
Posted on 18-Dec-2019 16:29:00
#93 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

We can't even clarify that the holiday next week is called 'Christmas' without the pagans crawling out of the woodwork and mentioning worshipping Saturn or the norse Sun God / Green Man! Paganism and idolatry was something prevalent 'before' the spread of Christianity and this is not something we should return to post-reformation.

Amiga-wise, why would you think cooperation is at the top of the agenda? It would be nice if A-EON gave us a launch date for the Tabor and for Hyperion to bury the hatchet with Cloanto and for the Apollo Team and Stephen Jones to be able to license AmigaOS IP from the respective parties but in my experience all this is a pipe dream right now!

Last edited by BigD on 18-Dec-2019 at 04:29 PM.

pavlor 
Posted on 18-Dec-2019 16:37:38
#94 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Thanks for reminder, I almost forgot my annual Saturnalia celebrations!

OlafS25 
Posted on 18-Dec-2019 17:35:10
#95 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

regarding apollo the problem is not only to get a license for the kickstarts but (on the longterm) you need direct support for new features. And that will not happen

bhabbott 
Posted on 19-Dec-2019 6:52:33
#96 ]

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
you need direct support for new features. And that will not happen
A bold claim. What are are these new features that we 'need' direct support for, and why do you believe it won't happen?

fishy_fis 
Posted on 19-Dec-2019 8:44:26
#97 ]
Elite Member

I've been an angry man in recent times. Not exactly proud of it, and Im kicking myself about nearly all posts I make about anything Amiga related, but while this is written from a completely neutral perspective and not exactly positive I genuinely think it's done (Amiga).

There's just nothing to really attract anyone to the platform anymore, and it's not exactly the friendliest environment to get involved with.
It'll just continue the way it is, one option getting a little attention here and there and looking like the path to take, then it'll die down again and another option will have a bit of a spell. Rinse and repeat.

Slowly, but surely more and more people leave here and there (I dont want to put words in anyones mouths, but for the sorts of reasons I've mentioned I suspect).

With more people leaving than getting involved, the toxicity or the scene, the difficult and at times expensive cost of entry, the mostly underwhelming tech. it encompasses (to each their own, but I still think the originals are the most interesting; the hardware is unique and capable of 486-low end pentium style results (I personally loved that era,..was quite creative)), and so on and so forth.
There's just no real "pull", and plenty of resistance/obstacles.

It's in the process of treacling away to nothing in my opinion.
Doesnt stop a person enjoying what it does offer, but we're pretty much the last of it.

In the last few years I've really delved into a variety of different retro and alternative type systems.
Game collection across 18 different systems has hit close to 2000 physical titles, been getting involved in various communities, met quite a few other like minded people that I buy, sell & trade with, and just generally went headfirst into the part of the gaming and computer scene, and while it does get mentioned there, for the most part it has a real corpse type smell to the Amiga.
There are a few places that make it appear more vibrant than it is, like Indieretronews, where they report on any garbage if it's Amiga related, but the broader gaming community has near to zero interest in that sort of stuff. Worthy, Reshoot, and Reshoot R being the only pieces of software that there was any interest whatsoever in, and even they didnt receive half the attention just ports like Star Wars to the Atari Jaguar received.

Last edited by fishy_fis on 19-Dec-2019 at 08:48 AM.

KimmoK 
Posted on 19-Dec-2019 11:04:19
#98 ]
Elite Member

Article from y2015:

"AmigaOS 4 developer interview: Why it endures and what the future holds"
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3455641/amigaos-4-developer-interview-why-it-endures-and-what-the-future-holds.html

Future indeed depends on the fans of Amiga.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Rose 
Posted on 19-Dec-2019 17:17:59
#99 ]
Cult Member

@KimmoK

Quote:

KimmoK wrote:
Article from y2015:

"AmigaOS 4 developer interview: Why it endures and what the future holds"
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3455641/amigaos-4-developer-interview-why-it-endures-and-what-the-future-holds.html

From 2012, and lot of things mentioned in article are not done yet. Describes pretty well state of OS4.

Quote:
Future indeed depends on the fans of Amiga.

20 years of telling people who are not cheering to GTFO and declaring everyone with a clue
a troll has clearly helped a lot. Who would have thought that it could backfire.

Classic is doing great, there's Vampire and 3 different new 060 boards coming. For a retro platform there's healthy amount of new software too. Funnily enough only place where I see complains about lack of development is NG centric forums.

bison 
Posted on 19-Dec-2019 18:12:23
#100 ]
Elite Member

@Rose

Quote:
and 3 different new 060 boards coming.

Can you list these? I don't follow this very closely.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle