Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 95 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  7 mins ago
 kolla:  7 mins ago
 amigakit:  16 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  19 mins ago
 Gunnar:  57 mins ago
 Frank:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 MickJT:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 A1200:  2 hrs 7 mins ago
 outlawal2:  2 hrs 41 mins ago
 AndreasM:  2 hrs 43 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  Amiga Ireland - January 17&18, 2020
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
BigD 
Re: Amiga Ireland - January 17&18, 2020
Posted on 21-Jan-2021 10:42:57
#61 ]
Elite Member

@Trixie

Quote:

Trixie wrote:
@BigD

Quote:
Looks like it's stuck in Beta with none of his expenses being covered!

One can't seriously expect that people will start donating when he hasn't presented a new public beta in almost five years.

Ok, then it's a dead project then! And I reinterate:

WE ARE OVERDUE AN UPDATE ON LIBRE OFFICE!

All that Trevor said in his Amiga Ireland slot was that the focus would be more on software going forwards but this is't a good start to be honest i.e. no information regarding a key piece of software before a hardware launch! If there is no news on this then I suppose I'm sniffing fairy dust talking about a Wings Remastered AmigaNG release huh? Blender and Hollywood here we come and all for £500 = bargain

Last edited by BigD on 21-Jan-2021 at 10:48 AM.
Last edited by BigD on 21-Jan-2021 at 10:44 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
BigD 
Posted on 21-Jan-2021 10:54:08
#62 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

To be fair Rob's probing on my motivation to buy an A1222Plus got me pondering what software WOULD make me buy one! I guess I'm still hankering for my favourites to be updated:

TurboPrint
PageStream
DeluxePaint (I animate and would like to use the Lightboard etc without worrying about memory!)
DrawStudio
Photogenics

Do these have any chance of being updated? Probably not. Therefore, am I going to buy the A1222Plus for 4K video, the chance to open and close windows on AmigaOS4.x, the chance to learn Blender and Hollywood and to play Tower57 (which is great but I own it on the Mac)! Probably not I'm afraid

Hang on there's Spencer to play!

More importantly we get to help Matthew and Trevor who we all want to see succeed - truthfully!

But I could get busy learning Dreams by investing in a PS5 since I'm still getting nowhere with Blitz Basic 2! AND I'd get £15.02 change from a £449.99 PS5 and £34.99 copy of Dreams from my £500 Tabor fund!

Last edited by BigD on 21-Jan-2021 at 11:00 AM.

Trixie 
Posted on 21-Jan-2021 13:52:51
#63 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@BigD

Quote:
Ok, then it's a dead project then!

I don't know about that, perhaps something is going on behind the scenes. All I'm saying is that the author should not be surprised that people won't send him any donations if Cinnamon Writer hasn't shown any signs of life in such a long time.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

BigD 
Posted on 21-Jan-2021 14:36:16
#64 ]
Elite Member

@Trixie

And similarly, we shouldn't have too much hope about Libre Office if the last A-EON update was in 2018!

Rose 
Posted on 21-Jan-2021 16:17:37
#65 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@Trixie

And similarly, we shouldn't have too much hope about Libre Office if the last A-EON update was in 2018!

"ports of FireFox and OpenOffice are close to bearing fruit."

Trevor 19th June 2010

And ton of "Just around the corner" comments since that. What makes you think that any comment now about status would be any closer to reality?

BigD 
Posted on 21-Jan-2021 16:29:20
#66 ]
Elite Member

@Rose

Quote:
And ton of "Just around the corner" comments since that. What makes you think that any comment now about status would be any closer to reality?

Because he needs to help AmigaKit to sell out the X5000 inventory and make a success of the A1222Plus launch (that's what he said in the Amiga Ireland slot) so now is the time to come clean. Of course if there's no exciting software from Hyperion/A-EON to coincide with the launch other than the OS update itself and the Enhancer software then I can't see how they expect to achieve their hardware sales aims!?!

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 21-Jan-2021 16:50:55
#67 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

DeluxePaint is open source but has license that prohibit improvements to the code,
you can make changes for your own use, but not distribute changes in source code, it also prohibits new versions of the binary, its however possible write patches, that be applied to the source code, but once you have done that you cannot distribute patched code.

The idea behind license is to allow developer to read code as it was written originally, preserved as time capsule in time.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Jan-2021 at 04:51 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 21-Jan-2021 17:01:22
#68 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

I use Deluxe Paint V on my Classic and have previously stated that I use it for animation. That feature wasn't added until version 3 and I remember that all my school friends had version 3 with their A500s (while I struggled with Canvas on the Atari ST at the time). That was the version that everyone raved about as I remember. Deluxe Paint 1 is a curio at best but it is of no interest to me other than for its legacy.

Rose 
Posted on 21-Jan-2021 18:01:40
#69 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@Rose

Quote:

Because he needs to help AmigaKit to sell out the X5000 inventory and make a success of the A1222Plus launch (that's what he said in the Amiga Ireland slot) so now is the time to come clean. Of course if there's no exciting software from Hyperion/A-EON to coincide with the launch other than the OS update itself and the Enhancer software then I can't see how they expect to achieve their hardware sales aims!?!

Doesn't have to be reality based for that, promises have worked great so far.

BigD 
Posted on 21-Jan-2021 18:06:04
#70 ]
Elite Member

@Rose

Quote:
Doesn't have to be reality based for that, promises have worked great so far.

If he just wants the people 'upgrading' their Sams and Eyetech AmigaOne machines then that is the strategy he should continue. If he wants to grow the market he needs to come clean about the upcoming software!

Last edited by BigD on 21-Jan-2021 at 07:32 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 21-Jan-2021 18:26:01
#71 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

The software you talked about have many different owners, some software changed owners, some of it the web pages are running but has not been updated in 10 years, who knows if the developers are active or not, but speed of development most be pretty slow, anyway AmigaOS market is tiny, supporting only AmigaOS is bad idea, you need to support AROS, and MorphOS, and maybe classic Amiga, then maybe you have market, its lot of work, and depending on what shape the code is in, is assembler, is blitz, is pascal, or something else, replacing old code with new code takes time, and require lot knowledge about code, how works. There also other interesting open-source paint programs around that might be updated, but work is pretty big, can be easier to start over. And are developers motivated? The Amiga community was known for pirating more programs, then buying software.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Jan-2021 at 06:27 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 21-Jan-2021 19:41:57
#72 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
The Amiga community was known for pirating more programs, then buying software.

Which was quite scandalous considering that I don't remember spending more than £50 on TurboPrint 5, Photogenics 5 or DrawStudio 2 back in the day! Photoshop by comparison even then was £200+! Maybe Scala400 was a bit more and obviously Lightwave was more but rightly so!

Amiga owners didn't know what they had IMHO. My closest A500 owning friend thought a hard drive was a PC thing and couldn't even envisage upgrading his hardware even with an external floppy drive. He couldn't even consider actually buying a legal copy of Worms and he must have copied the copy protection out by hand or at least 2 of the black shiny Team17 copy protection tables so that it loaded 1/4 of the time!

Last edited by BigD on 21-Jan-2021 at 07:44 PM.

Rob 
Posted on 21-Jan-2021 19:54:25
#73 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
Looks like it's stuck in Beta with none of his expenses being covered!

I am looking for pre-alpha testers for Cinnamon Writer (CW). CW is a word-like WYSIWYG editor made for the amiga from the ground up. This version (1.0) will feature DOCX (load/save) compatibility, spell checking, images, textboxes, export to PDF and more.

I am looking for a dedicated and patient team to help me in with the testing. If you would like to apply, you can pm me here or comment in the thread.

However:

You should not sign up if:
- You just want to see the progress of CW - Pre-alphas are on purpose not end-user friendly. Better to wait until the pre-release versions are available
- Patience is not your virtue. (With a full-time job and two kids some bugs will probably not be fixed the same day they are reported)

You should definetely sign up if:
- You think it could be fun
- You use word, or similar, daily and you are used write and use complex documents - You have access to a mac. I develop on my laptop mac, which has much better portability, developer tools and raw CPU power than my amiga

Source.

As you can see it's still being worked on but progress is slow due to Claus having limited time to spend on it these days. By the way, did you notice the MacOS screenshot on the main page?

The situation could be quite different if A-EON had offered Claus money and some extra pairs of hands to work on CW and not bothered with Libre at all.

Rob 
Posted on 21-Jan-2021 20:15:16
#74 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
Do these have any chance of being updated? Probably not. Therefore, am I going to buy the A1222Plus for 4K video, the chance to open and close windows on AmigaOS4.x, the chance to learn Blender and Hollywood and to play Tower57 (which is great but I own it on the Mac)! Probably not I'm afraid

I still think that you should should try running OS4 under emulation. Obviously there are limitations campared to dedicated hardware but it gives you the opportunity to explore the OS and the wealth of software avialble from OS4 Depot and other sources.

I've pointed you in the direction of people that will be able to help you with setting it up if you need in the past.

BigD 
Posted on 21-Jan-2021 21:03:09
#75 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

Quote:
I still think that you should should try running OS4 under emulation.

Wouldn't it just be easier to dabble on a machine at an Amiga meet when all this pandemic is over? I respect you for providing an open community mindedness as that has always been the strong point of the Amiga. You are however banking on me getting sucked into the old Amiga feeling and nostalgia of a similar system brought slightly more up to date!

However, I really need some proper software to get stuck into! It's taken me ages to get to grips with Deluxe Paint but it's been fun. Scala was the most intuitive software that I've used (even better than iMovie) but it's dead on the Amiga and not coming back now

Unless I catch the coding bug on Blitz Basic/AmiBlitz I can't see myself investing in such an underdeveloped platform unless the A1222Plus can operate like a fully upgraded Classic with all the software akin to the likes of TurboPrint and the other software packages I mentioned available as modern upgraded versions! I mean everyone says Personal Paint 'IS' the modern equivalent of Deluxe Paint but due to a bad experience with an old magazine cover CD version I never gave it a second chance! Maybe I'm just not able to put up with the compromises and also-ran software that we'll inevitably have to use as replacements for the software houses/coders that are never coming back

Thanks anyway for your comments and I am honestly interested in the A1222Plus though I'm not quite sure why other than I want it to succeed! I use virtual machines to use old software on the Mac and emulate an Atari ST to play Blue War III (a favourite from childhood that didn't get an Amiga conversion)....
... but it doesn't make me want to buy an Atari ST again. I just like the software that I like, however old it is and whatever hoops I need to jump through to use it! I guess I like the 'hoop' of owning old classic Amiga hardware but emulation loses a little of the magic as does shelling out £500+ on new-ish hardware just to "keep the party going" when the party promises few software breakthroughs from what I can see!

Last edited by BigD on 21-Jan-2021 at 09:12 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 21-Jan-2021 at 09:10 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 21-Jan-2021 at 09:06 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 22-Jan-2021 9:29:19
#76 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

... TVPaint seemed the 2D drawing package with the most potential for the future when Commodore died and the company is still alive! Have they been approached for an ongoing Amiga version?

sinisrus 
Posted on 22-Jan-2021 10:11:07
#77 ]

@BigD

I did it personally and got an answer
They dropped the Amiga for a long time ...

BigD 
Posted on 22-Jan-2021 10:40:31
#78 ]
Elite Member

@sinisrus

Good job, at least you tried. Would they reconsider now that we have a machine lined up for 2021 that has mass market appeal! A machine for "the masses and not the classes"!

No not the Raspberry Pi4, the A1222Plus of course!

Why would TVPaint Developpement SARL not leap at the chance?

Seriously though, would we have any chance of a port in the future?

Rose 
Posted on 22-Jan-2021 14:28:18
#79 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

Quote:
Seriously though, would we have any chance of a port in the future?

Even if they would by some miracle to manage sell 10000 instead of 100 it's not considered much of market outside of Amiga forums.

BigD 
Posted on 22-Jan-2021 16:03:08
#80 ]
Elite Member

@Rose

I read the other day that the Phase 5 PPC boards made it to around 10,000 users! That seems a lot considering how expensive and complex they were! Maybe 10,000 A1222Plus is technically possible?

Quote:
Note: In an interview with Amiga Active in July 2000, Ralph Schmidt estimated that around 10,000 people used the PowerPC Phase 5 accelerator cards.

Source

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle