Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
23 crawler(s) on-line.
 92 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  49 mins ago
 fordprefect:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 redfox:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 Karlos:  3 hrs 1 min ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 2 mins ago
 RobertB:  3 hrs 28 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 32 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 38 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  3 hrs 39 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  Odyssey Privacy credentials
Register To Post

PosterThread
ggw 
Odyssey Privacy credentials
Posted on 24-Mar-2020 15:23:47
#1 ]

With Odyssey 1.23 (25.12.2013) I cannot get my password field for Amigaworld.net to be autofilled with my current password. I would like suggestions about how to figure out what the problem is.

It may be that I am paying too much attention to what I am shown by AmigaWorld.net when my Login fails. I get the "incorrect login!" page which devotes a page to allowing me to try again. Well, that is also a form which is already autofilled and does have the correct password, and so I can rather trivially get around this problem which has been with me for several years.

Thanks to COVID-19 STAY AT HOME orders for the public here in Austin, TX, I have the pleasure of Amiga activities instead of being at work. So, this Odyssey | AmigaWorld.net problem has risen to a the top of the stack of things wanting attention.

I have tried a number of variations of simple actions, none of which results in changing the "autofilled" contents of the password field for intial login page of AmigaWolrd.net.
In all situations I have the Odyssey > Settings > Preferences > Privacy with these values (which exhausts the options on that page)
o Session Restoration [Disabled]
o [X] Save session
o [ ] Delete session at exit
o Cookie Policy [Accept]
o [X] Save cookies to database
o [X] Enable local storage
o [X] Save form credentials
o [X] Enable form autofill
o [X] Save history
o Histories Entries [1000]
o History Age in Days [60]

1) I present Odyssey with "https://amigaworld.net/", The initial page comes up with URL of "https://amigaworld.net//"
The amigaworld.net page is shown with the correct Nickname and the Password filled with 9 dots (which happens to be the length of my correct password).
With the window selected, move the mouse cursor onto Login, press the left mouse button [LMBC Login]
The screen flashes with "incorrect login!" which is superceded by a URL of "https://amigaworld.net/user.php" and is a separate User Login page.
That page is autofilled correctly, but If I clear out the password and put in a false one, I am berated and the form is replaced with what is again the properly autofilled content.
[LMBC login] in that page does log me in.
2) Repeat 1) but instead of [LMBC Login] in the initial page, I delete the Password. I am at a loss of how the get the field again autofilled.
I can by hand type in my Nickname, and TAB to password does not refill it. I can fill password in by hand and that works.
3) Repeat more of 1) to again get the login page on the right hand side of the screen. As I have mentioned THAT autofill is correct.
Something has changed that password on the left, because I can [LMBC Login] one the *left* and I am logged in.
4) To further test 3). This time I erased the right hand Password, but again on the left side [LMBC Login] and I am logged in.
5) To further test 3). This time I erased the right hand Password and LMBC Login] on the right side and login FAILED.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
So, 5) shows that the right hand Login is definitely not programmed to be identical to a choice to LMBC Login on the left.
However, the right page has at that point does not have the proper password, but some action of that Odyssey right hand side's original creation acts as if it changed what is in the LEFT page password field to the correct thing.

All of that points to improper initial autofill of the left password. The only way I have found to get it changed without me typing in the correct thing is to allow the login failure so that the right hand side login page *appears*. Then the lefthand side DOES have the proper contents.

Odyssey|Amigaworld.net expected login did used to work. I am puzzled by what is going on. I don't need all of it explained. I suspect that if I could cause autofill to forget it had ever captured anything for THAT left hand side password, then I could bring up AmigaWorld, enter my password by hand and *magically* get it captured for autofill, and life would be less aggravating.

What else might I do? (I did put in a bogus password for the left screen to no avail. I am guessing that the "login" must succeed for a (re)capture for autofill).

..effects of civilization upon...nature, the growing gap between what education was supposed to accomplish and what it consisted of, the national debt and...high taxes, the problem of the excess cost of medical care -- Philip Wylie, 1951

Profile     Report this post  
bennymee 
Re: Odyssey Privacy credentials
Posted on 24-Mar-2020 17:50:49
#2 ]
Cult Member

@ggw

Kas1e is compiling new version of the browser:

https://www.amigans.net/modules/xforum/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=8179&viewmode=&order=ASC&type=&mode=0

Maybe that is also a start ?

Draby 
Posted on 25-Mar-2020 10:30:15
#3 ]

@ggw

Hi, go to right menu / windows / passwords, and "remove" the URL with the problem, so you can store it again.

Just had to do this myself.
Draby

ggw 
Posted on 25-Mar-2020 16:58:29
#4 ]

@Draby

That was the hint I needed. That was the 1st time I *ever* looked in the Windows menu (well, maybe when the 1st version came out I might have gone through the options). I always mess with Settings .. which has a lot.

Yet, it was not straight forward to get things correctly setup. It was after convincing myself I had started from nothing for passwords for amigaworld.net and had waited patiently for each thing I put in to be accepted, Ctrl+LAmiga+RAmiga, start again. If I did *anything* different, to be patient, not judgemental, and keep up with the Ctrl+LAmiga+RAmiga so that I would not be fooled by any form of cache references ... it works.

In other browsers if I change a password, *I* don't have to clear out anything .. a popup has noticed that I made a change and asks if I want to accept the change as an update.

I guess I got spoiled to the point of not suspecting I might be expected to proactively seek out getting rid of the old password in such a way.

Thank you again!

..effects of civilization upon...nature, the growing gap between what education was supposed to accomplish and what it consisted of, the national debt and...high taxes, the problem of the excess cost of medical care -- Philip Wylie, 1951

Xenic 
Posted on 25-Mar-2020 18:36:07
#5 ]

@ggw
Everyone should be aware that Odyssey doesn't obscure or encrypt passwords stored in "passwords.db". Anyone familiar with Amiga can read the passwords in the passords file with a Hex reader.

Draby 
Posted on 26-Mar-2020 9:52:07
#6 ]

@Xenic

Hi, actually it's easier than that, move the mouse to the row with the column titles, a right click brings up a menu with a "show all" item.
Draby

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle