Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
29 crawler(s) on-line.
 41 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

pixie

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  2 mins ago
 BigD:  22 mins ago
 chloeneelson:  30 mins ago
 VooDoo:  31 mins ago
 agami:  56 mins ago
 jakiv:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 jPV:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 pavlor:  2 hrs 20 mins ago
 Gunnar:  2 hrs 53 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  amiga xe
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
rob_d 
amiga xe
Posted on 26-Mar-2020 20:00:23
#1 ]

after about 5 years i dug out my amiga xe and actually installed 4.1 which i bought a few years back changed coin battery and all seemed fine was wondering if this a list of cards that can be used and is the radeon 9250 still the best card for it
i have not had dma fix on machine was thinking of sata cars and any info on best wifi devices for it

thanks for any help

Profile     Report this post  
pavlor 
Re: amiga xe
Posted on 26-Mar-2020 20:30:52
#2 ]
Elite Member

@rob_d

9000 Pro should be the fastest, but it may be hard to find one with 128 MB GFX RAM. Any 128 bit R200 card should be fine (if working of course).

OldAmigan 
Posted on 27-Mar-2020 19:06:33
#3 ]
Cult Member

@rob_d

I've always had mixed results with my XE. I've never successfully managed to get any graphics card working in either the AGP or 2x speed PCI slot and usually ended up back with a Radeon 7000 PCI in one of the normal slots.

I've been through quite a few PATA HDs and even a DOM SSD module.

OWB repeatedly hangs up and necessitates a hard reset

I've also got a new PSU just in case!

Recently I discovered that the thermal past needs replacing on the processor and I wonder if that is a big part of the problem.

For wi-fi I use a small wifi range extender/bridge from Vonets, which I then just plug in to the ethernet port.

Last edited by OldAmigan on 27-Mar-2020 at 07:08 PM.

AmigaOne and OS4.1
Mac LCII, G4 Powermac running OSX + Amigakit and MorphOS 3.0
Dell Mini 10 Netbook running IcAros and AmigaForever+Amikit+AmigaSys
2006 Macb

rob_d 
Posted on 27-Mar-2020 19:26:35
#4 ]

9250 seems to work fine i am having issues with random freezing when i try and ope an old amiga active cd and i cant seem to register the os 4.1 software will not accept my serial code for some reason

will check thermal paste now you have mentioned it

Last edited by rob_d on 27-Mar-2020 at 07:29 PM.

tonyw 
Posted on 27-Mar-2020 22:06:29
#5 ]
Elite Member

@rob_d

It is many years now since I had an XE, but the ThermalTake heatsinks were IIRC attached with a piece of double-sided sticky (heat-conductive) pad.

I seem to remember Alan Redhouse warning that some machines were accidentally assembled without removing the protective tape over the sticky pad. So if the heatsink comes off easily, that could be the problem.

On the other hand, if it won't come off easily, leave it alone.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

rob_d 
Posted on 31-Mar-2020 20:15:49
#6 ]

ive got my amiga xe up and running with 4.1 final but having trouble with ahi config
and i still cant seem to register on hypereons website

any tips on ahi would be usefull

dirkzwager 
Posted on 1-Apr-2020 10:27:35
#7 ]

@rob_d

Quote:

rob_d wrote:
ive got my amiga xe up and running with 4.1 final but having trouble with ahi config

any tips on ahi would be usefull

What is your problem with AHI?
I've also had AHI issues with my Sam460.
These have now been resolved.
I just had a "test" sound the "Beep".
Otherwise I had no sound.
1) I got problems with this after installing enhancer software. I have installed os4.1 again, and with the enhancer software at prefs I did not check the module "sound" during the installation.
2) At os4.1 Prefs / AHI I have under the tab music unit / unit 1 / unit 2 /
unit 3 / unit 4 all frequnties set at 48000 HZ. So all the same.
3) After this it was solved for me

Link: https://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=43582&forum=32#830485

Last edited by dirkzwager on 01-Apr-2020 at 10:32 AM.

Powerbook 17" and MorphOS 3.13
PowerMac G5 2.3 MP and MorphOS 3.13
Sam 460 with Amiga os 4.1 and checkmate 1500
www.sitedesign.be

rob_d 
Posted on 1-Apr-2020 20:36:09
#8 ]

@dirkzwager

thanks will try that later

Is there a pci to pcie card that can be used on amiga to install a better graphics card that the 9250 as it seems warp3d nova does not support my card

sorry for all the questions but its actually about 5 6 years since i messed around with an amiga

Last edited by rob_d on 01-Apr-2020 at 08:37 PM.

cap 
Posted on 1-Apr-2020 21:40:35
#9 ]

@rob_d

Read this thread to follow about the XE and newer graphics cards.
https://www.amigans.net/modules/xforum/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8194&forum=4

OS4.1 latest update.
1ghz Radeon Club3d 9250
Usb/Dma fixed.

rob_d 
Posted on 2-Apr-2020 18:42:42
#10 ]

sorted sound problems out and got my sata card to work now just going through my old cds trying to remember how i got playback to work years ago lol

didnt realise i had so many cds all afcd all cucd and aa cds

and variuse other bits and pieces aura sound card for 1200 loads of midi interfaces going to take ages to sort through it all

Hypex 
Posted on 3-Apr-2020 17:57:09
#11 ]
Elite Member

@rob_d

I recall some thread where a PCI to PCIe or some such card lke the popular PEX model was working with some better PCIe card or something. I forget which. But it needed a UBoot script to write values to the PCI bus to enable it working. Trivial once set up but it was hard coded to one PCI slot. However, I don't recall if OS4 was able to use the extra card, it may have only been Linux.

There should be an easily reachable site by now with SATA and other supported hardware listed. IntuitionBase.com used to be a resource but now that's broken. There is the Documentation in OS4.

For SATA you have a choice of Sil 3112, Sil 3512 or Sii 3512 Silicon Image controllers. Some have two ports, others four. According to UBoot Prefs all are bootable. I've not used SATA in an XE so I can't confirm they are.

For WiFi I agree with the suggestion to use a Vonets extender. There is a Prism driver for some 11G PCI cards but you'd need to locate one with the right chipset. Then fiddle around installing drivers.

rob_d 
Posted on 3-Apr-2020 20:03:20
#12 ]

@Hypex
got sil up and running but just one hdd and one dvd there is 4 ports on it my try to see if they work

Did read about and atheros drive for wifi

SAM 440-FLEX AND SAM 440EP
At this stage I would recommend that Sam 440-flex users to get either a Radeon HD 4350 PCI, or get a PEX 8112 based PCI-to-PCIe bridge card and a low-profile Radeon HD 4650** if they wish to upgrade to a Radeon HD card. It is faster than older cards, and offers all of the capabilities of the Radeon HD 4000 series. If you want to get a Radeon X1000 series card, then the Radeon X1550 has the best performance.

** NOTE: I say "low-profile" because a PCI-to-PCIe plus a low-profile Radeon HD card should be able to fit into a full-size slot, whereas plugging a full-size

AMIGAONE-XE (WITHOUT THE DMA FIX) AND THE AMIGAONE-SE
My recommendations for these motherboards are the same as for the Sam 440-flex.

did come across this at
http://hdrlab.org.nz/projects/amiga-os-4-projects/radeonhd-driver/radeonhd-card-recommendations-for-amigaos-4-x/

but the fun is trying to get software to work it seems all xes have there own little way of working

Hypex 
Posted on 4-Apr-2020 16:21:57
#13 ]
Elite Member

@rob_d

That's good. I don't know if there are any boot device limitations on SATA ports but it works in anycase. If you haven't done it the nexty step is to enable UDMA. Easiest from UBoot Prefs on OS4. From "IDE Ports" tab pages at top you can select what card you have. Then change the "Transfer mode" for units used to UDMA mode. You can work top down. If the drive doesn't support it will drop the speed down. Then best to do a read/write test to make sure it is stable. For example on a test partition.

I'm familiar with the page you referenced. Which is funny as it had the info on the PCIe bridge. I had forgotten about it. Well that's good then. Just need some compatible hardware.

I wonder if the XE will offer more space. Since you can use the PCI slot adjacent the AGP slot. But can't use both slots at once.

Is your 9250 AGP or PCI? And how much RAM do you have?

Does the 3d software you wish to run need Nova? If it does then you'll need a better card in there. Software that uses MinlGL or supports it should work. Spencer is supposed too but the demo version just crashed on my A1, and posts reminding me that MiniGL is supported didn't help when it is unplayable.

Regarding registration, I take it you have an account you logged into from the left on this website, chose Product Registration from USER MENU, clicked Register a product and it failed to accept the serial number?

https://www.hyperion-entertainment.com/index.php/product-registration

Last edited by Hypex on 04-Apr-2020 at 04:56 PM.
Last edited by Hypex on 04-Apr-2020 at 04:37 PM.

rob_d 
Posted on 4-Apr-2020 19:24:24
#14 ]

@Hypex

my 9250 is agp

and as to software still experimenting on what works and what does not get a guru on clickbooms quake
but got octamed sound studio to work but its just trial and error like the old days when i had my amiga 1200 with ppc and bvision and various other bits and pieces added to it

yes i am registerd since i reg 0s 4.0 but it will not accept serial number for 4.1 or 4.1 fe

keeps saying invalid serial number and yes i have checked i am trying to register for right machine
but with whats going on at the moment seems a good time to tinker with my miggy
is the paralel point similar to original amiga as i have a few gadgets that connected to it for sound ripping was wondering if that was still possible

Hypex 
Posted on 5-Apr-2020 16:51:50
#15 ]
Elite Member

@rob_d

There's a few Quakes on OS4Depot that eliminates the need for a cranky old 68K version.

For OctaMED have you this to get sound working?
http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/TheMaestrix

With the registration you might want to contact them here:
https://forum.hyperion-entertainment.com/viewforum.php?f=28

The XE parallel port should be rather compatible with the Amiga parallel port. But the XE has by comparison a modern ECP/EPP port, where as the Amiga has an old style SPP port since Commodore didn't like to update Amiga devices.

But be careful, even if you can plug it in, you need software that can read it. Most sampling software I'm aware of hit the hardware and this may crash the XE. Even if not it won't work. I've avoided plugging Amiga devices into my XE in case it did break something.

In any case, your sound card should be able sample from the line in, which will be better quality anyway. In this case it will be handled by AHI. So you will need an AHI sampler to do it. Such as AHIRecord.

http://os4depot.net/?function=showfile&file=audio/record/ahirecord.lha

Last edited by Hypex on 05-Apr-2020 at 04:52 PM.

rob_d 
Posted on 5-Apr-2020 19:23:18
#16 ]

@Hypex
Still waiting for acceptance to join forum before i can post but have read through and most seem to have tried registering the wrong version

still picking up software from os4 and aminet

is there a newer uboot mines from about 2005

Hypex 
Posted on 15-Apr-2020 17:45:08
#17 ]
Elite Member

@rob_d

Is that one of those acceptance emails? The registration shouldn't take long. Somethings take a few minutes to appear in my inbox and I'm findng some emails disappear into spam.

The last offical UBoot is v1.1.1. There was at least one after it but it was in beta Yeah it's really old now!

Last edited by Hypex on 16-Apr-2020 at 02:24 AM.

rob_d 
Posted on 17-Apr-2020 20:18:57
#18 ]

@Hypex

3 weeks ive been waiting for a response from hypereons forum all i get is this message every time i try to log in

The specified username is currently inactive. If you have problems activating your account, please contact a board administrator.

and as you cant post how to you contact board administrator

still cannot register 4.1 or 4 .1 fe think it was part of the reason i put my amiga away aftert i bought the original 4 ,1 lack of help or support from hyperion
sorry just my opinion

the main reason for reason for registering my software i read thats theres an update for 4,1 fe and as my system freezes sometimes but never did under 4,1 i thought that might cure the issues i get

Last edited by rob_d on 17-Apr-2020 at 08:26 PM.

rob_d 
Posted on 17-Apr-2020 20:23:49
#19 ]

on another note is it worth getting enhancer software and radeon drivers for an xe will my old system benefit from it

Trixie 
Posted on 18-Apr-2020 7:00:08
#20 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@rob_d

Quote:
on another note is it worth getting enhancer software and radeon drivers for an xe will my old system benefit from it

I don't think the Radeon HD/RX drivers will help your old system very much. The gfx cards for your PCI slot are not supported by these drivers. I don't know if a PCI-e adaptor would enable your XE to host Radeon HD/RX cards, or if such a solution would work at all - UBoot may be the problem here. (Sam440 users have reported success stories but I'm not sure about XE users.)

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle