Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 134 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  16 mins ago
 DWolfman:  26 mins ago
 cncparts:  1 hr 59 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  2 hrs 45 mins ago
 Beajar:  3 hrs 4 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 7 mins ago
 agami:  4 hrs 10 mins ago
 RobertB:  4 hrs 30 mins ago
 OlafS25:  5 hrs 20 mins ago
 Bruce72:  5 hrs 21 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Network Share
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
DFergFLA 
Network Share
Posted on 20-Apr-2020 12:47:46
#1 ]

Is it possible for Amiga OS 4.1 FE to connect to a network share? The Shared drive is formatted NTFS. But I can change that if needed.

Profile     Report this post  
pvanni 
Re: Network Share
Posted on 20-Apr-2020 14:28:29
#2 ]

@DFergFLA

yes, it's possible, you must use smbfs from OS4Depot
http://os4depot.net/index.php?function=search&tool=simple&f_fields=smbfs

of course it must be a Samba share

Last edited by pvanni on 20-Apr-2020 at 02:29 PM.

elwood 
Posted on 20-Apr-2020 20:26:58
#3 ]
Elite Member

@pvanni

does it still work with recent Windows like Win10?

Amiga Translator Organisation

nbache 
Posted on 20-Apr-2020 22:38:50
#4 ]

@elwood

Only if you are able to tell Windows10 that the protocol SMB1 (?) must be allowed.

The same goes for a NAS or other SMB server.

Best regards,

Niels

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 21-Apr-2020 7:15:58
#5 ]
Elite Member

@DFergFLA

Last time I tried smbfs, it was painfully slow, and I had issue like system freezes, when if did not find the PC, or something else happened.

I normally use Filezilla on the PC, and use Dopus5 to connect to it, that worked ok.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Apr-2020 at 01:19 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Apr-2020 at 07:16 AM.

pvanni 
Posted on 21-Apr-2020 9:16:31
#6 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

did you tried the last version (2.22 from https://os4welt.de)?

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 21-Apr-2020 13:13:53
#7 ]
Elite Member

@pvanni

No, as Nils says you need to lower the security in windows10 to use it, the samba protocol its already a security problem without doing that.

I feel we need something new, something that works, where you install a client on the PC to enable it, instead of install hacks on AmigaOS.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Apr-2020 at 01:21 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Apr-2020 at 01:16 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Apr-2020 at 01:15 PM.

Anonymous 
Posted on 5-May-2020 7:58:53
# ]

AMIGA computer community forum is designed for the true sites for the field. All the computer experts and top 10 essay writing services are visited for the ranking of the site. AMIGA community is ensured for the facilities and all chips or the communed items or the field.

Report this post  
Petah 
Posted on 5-May-2020 8:55:54
#9 ]

Quote:
I feel we need something new, something that works, where you install a client on the PC to enable it, instead of install hacks on AmigaOS.

What you are looking for already exists. It's called Envoy, and it's generally regarded as a very well working AmigaOS networking service adapted for streamlined integration within the Workbench environment. Version 3 works in parallell with a TCP/IP services such as Roadshow. On top of that, it is fully compatible with OS 4.1. Here's an article describing what it looks like, and how it works.

Skateman 
Posted on 5-May-2020 18:16:35
#10 ]

@DFergFLA

How about setting up ZitaFTP server on your OS4FE machine.
Then dump the files you need on you Amiga using FTP.

Not quite what you asked but then again... it might help you.
There is a trial version on the link below

ZetaFTP Server

Last edited by Skateman on 05-May-2020 at 06:17 PM.

eliyahu 
Posted on 5-May-2020 20:36:40
#11 ]

@Petah

Is there a good tutorial on setting up Envoy 3.1 on AmigaOS 4? I'm looking for documentation of any little things needed to get it working well on my X5000 and A1222.

-- eliyahu

Petah 
Posted on 5-May-2020 21:22:35
#12 ]

Quote:
Is there a good tutorial on setting up Envoy 3.1 on AmigaOS 4? I'm looking for documentation of any little things needed to get it working well on my X5000 and A1222.

It's a good question. I'd be happy to write one myself as soon as I get my hands on the Amiga Tabor, but since you're looking for something right now I'm afraid you have to look for something existing. Please report back in case you find something of interest. By the way - I was under the impression that the most recent version of Envoy is 3.0?

eliyahu 
Posted on 5-May-2020 21:51:17
#13 ]

@Petah

Looks like Heinz Wrobel made an update back in 2003. You can find it over on Aminet: http://aminet.net/package/comm/net/Envoy3_1Update

-- eliyahu

kolla 
Posted on 6-May-2020 5:26:47
#14 ]
Elite Member

@Petah

And how do you integrate Envoy on your NAS?

If only there was open source Envoy server implementation for other relevant operating systems, and not just Amiga. Also, Envoy has UIDs reversed compared to old un*x which is the base for TCP stacks on Amiga, with "nobody" being uid 0 and "administrator" on UID 65535, iirc, this cause some weird issues when running together with AmiTCP or Roadshow etc.

Envoy really is to Amiga what NetBIOS was for Windows and AppleTalk was to old Mac.

Personally I would prefer an open implementation of the Amiga NetFS server - http://aminet.net/package/comm/net/NetFS-revised - I even contacted the author a couple of years ago and got the protocol specifications, with the goal of implementing it in python. But then stuff happened in my life, and it has been put on the ever-growing todo list.

Hypex 
Posted on 6-May-2020 16:36:57
#15 ]
Elite Member

@Petah

Quote:
What you are looking for already exists. It's called Envoy, and it's generally regarded as a very well working AmigaOS networking service adapted for streamlined integration within the Workbench environment.

Does that mean there is a working client that supports Windows? And is it compatible with Windows 10?

OldAmigan 
Posted on 6-May-2020 18:41:18
#16 ]
Cult Member

@eliyahu

The trouble for most of us is that Envoy was a paid for application and what Heinz Wrobel posted to Aminet was an update, not the whole package.

I don't know if it is still available but it would be interesting to find out.

Amiga Forever contains AmigaExplorer for real Amigas and sets up the PC for Windows Explorer to connect to it

AmigaOne and OS4.1
Mac LCII, G4 Powermac running OSX + Amigakit and MorphOS 3.0
Dell Mini 10 Netbook running IcAros and AmigaForever+Amikit+AmigaSys
2006 Macb

eliyahu 
Posted on 6-May-2020 23:12:03
#17 ]

@OldAmigan

Quote:
The trouble for most of us is that Envoy was a paid for application and what Heinz Wrobel posted to Aminet was an update, not the whole package.

I don't know if it is still available but it would be interesting to find out.

My copy came from an old Amiga Developer CD. Does anyone have current contact information for Heinz?

-- eliyahu

janero101 
Posted on 15-Apr-2021 2:28:34
#18 ]

So it's possible for Amiga OS 4.1 FE to connect to a network sharThey are doing the best job for the past 25 years consistently. I hope it will also work for us lets trying to do it now.  

ealdrinsu20 
Posted on 5-Jun-2023 3:48:40
#19 ]

@DFergFLA

Sure, Amiga OS 4.1 FE should be able to connect to a network share with the right configuration, though NTFS might pose a challenge due to compatibility issues. On a side note, if you have a website or online platform discussing such topics, consider looking into local SEO optimization services. It can help improve your visibility to those seeking solutions for similar technical issues within your local area.

olsen 
Posted on 5-Jun-2023 16:00:00
#20 ]
Cult Member

@kolla

Quote:

kolla wrote:
@Petah

And how do you integrate Envoy on your NAS?

If only there was open source Envoy server implementation for other relevant operating systems, and not just Amiga.

As far as I know, the protocol of the original Envoy is no longer compatible with the Envoy 3.0 protocol (not sure about Envoy 2). This is one issue. The other being that there is no convenient "leak" of the Envoy 1.x source code available.

Quote:
Also, Envoy has UIDs reversed compared to old un*x which is the base for TCP stacks on Amiga, with "nobody" being uid 0 and "administrator" on UID 65535, iirc, this cause some weird issues when running together with AmiTCP or Roadshow etc.

Envoy "steals" ARP and IPv4 datagrams like it's trying to build a complete collection, even if these datagrams are not intended for its use. This will collide with any TCP/IP stack in no time at all This was the case even with the original Envoy, with the typical workaround involving reconfiguring the Ethernet frame types for IPv4 and ARP. You changed IPv4 from 2048 to 2049 (making it "X.75 Internet") and ARP from 2054 to 2055 (making it "XNS Compatability"). Unless you ran your own X.25 or Xerox network at home, you were safe

Stealing the ARP and IPv4 datagrams was a "feature" of the original Envoy implementation, but it seems that even though Envoy 2 and 3 made use of the SANA-II packet filter option, they still ended up stealing those frames anyway.

Quote:

Envoy really is to Amiga what NetBIOS was for Windows and AppleTalk was to old Mac.

Well, there is the similarity of solving similar problems by similar means, of course I would say that Envoy was designed around a core functionality (discovery, data exchange, authentication) to be as small as possible: it provides a platform. Everything else builds upon this core. I know too little about AppleTalk and NetBIOS to compare them against Envoy, though. Given what I've seen of NETBIOS during smbfs development, I'm probably biased now

Quote:

Personally I would prefer an open implementation of the Amiga NetFS server - http://aminet.net/package/comm/net/NetFS-revised - I even contacted the author a couple of years ago and got the protocol specifications, with the goal of implementing it in python. But then stuff happened in my life, and it has been put on the ever-growing todo list.

I still like the idea behind Envoy, if only you could make it work robustly. Envoy worked decently well using ARP and UDP in its original form as long as you did not try to share the same Ethernet link with regular TCP/IP traffic. What did not work so well back then was UDP and ARP datagram retransmission. That was in the days when you would use 10BASE2 Ethernet or maybe ARCNET, which were somewhat brittle. Drop a frame and Envoy would stall forever. At time this was ridiculously easy to trigger. I reckon it could be done better with more research and effort. The original Envoy never got its chance to evolve and mature. It could have been really impactful for the Amiga.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle