Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 123 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hypex:  8 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 52 mins ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 24 mins ago
 Hammer:  5 hrs 14 mins ago
 Rob:  5 hrs 52 mins ago
 billt:  6 hrs ago
 amigang:  6 hrs 11 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  6 hrs 13 mins ago
 agami:  6 hrs 37 mins ago
 matthey:  6 hrs 43 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Development
      /  Beginning Hollywood Programming
Register To Post

PosterThread
amigadave 
Beginning Hollywood Programming
Posted on 28-Apr-2020 21:40:09
#1 ]

Hello everyone interested in beginning to learn how to program using the Hollywood programming language! I'm finally setting up a schedule in my busy life, to make time to learn how to program using the Hollywood language, and Designer Amiga gui tool, as well as all the great plug-ins that have been created to complement Hollywood over the years. After buying my first version of Hollywood v2 many years ago, I have decided to force myself into setting aside the required time to read and begin coding with Hollywood. For any of you in a similar situation, or really anyone who would like to do a bit of coding on an Amiga/Amiga-Like system, I invite you to join me in this journey. Everyone knows we need more programmers, and we are unlikely to get many new programmers from outside our tiny community, so lets join together, and grow some new programmers from within.

I have had some experience with scripting programming in the past using a proprietary language for my work, prior to my retirement, so I'm at least not starting from zero understanding about programming, but with my failing memory, who knows if that prior experience will be of any benefit to me now.

I have also found an experienced programmer, who has offered to help me through any of the tough parts, if I get stuck learning any particular programming principal or theory, which has encouraged me even more to get started. I encourage any of you interested in joining me in learning how to program using Hollywood, to purchase the latest version, Hollywood v8, and Designer v5, or upgrade your earlier versions to these versions, before we begin, so all of us will be using the same version (and also to support the great work of the author of Hollywood & Designer).

I don't expect us to discuss our efforts to learn Hollywood here on these forums much, as it would be more efficient and practical to use the official forum for Hollywood, but just wanted to place this invitation here, for any of you that might be interested in joining me in learning how to use Hollywood.

Profile     Report this post  
klx300r 
Re: Beginning Hollywood Programming
Posted on 28-Apr-2020 21:50:57
#2 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

good for you & have fun while you're learning

btw, here's the Hollywood forum link

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

amigadave 
Posted on 28-Apr-2020 21:58:39
#3 ]

@klx300r

Thanks for the encouraging reply. I knew the link for the Hollywood forums, but did not want to violate any AW.net posting rules, in case there were any prohibiting steering users away to another forum site.

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 28-Apr-2020 22:35:33
#4 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

Maybe ask MEGA_RJ_MICAL for some programming tips. He did code Intuition all those years ago after all. He may have some guidance for you if asked nicely.

Templario 
Posted on 29-Apr-2020 10:55:04
#5 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave
The good news will be someone or among several write one book like there are other books for AmiBlizt, etc. with easy examples to cheeeer people up to use Hollywood and Designer.

amigadave 
Posted on 29-Apr-2020 15:02:01
#6 ]

@Templario

Quote:

Templario wrote:
@amigadave
The good news will be someone or among several write one book like there are other books for AmiBlizt, etc. with easy examples to cheeeer people up to use Hollywood and Designer.

The name of that book is: Hollywood Documentation

I've never seen or heard of any other Amiga program that has nearly as much excellent documentation, as Hollywood has. I don't remember the exact page count, but I believe it is well over 1,000 pages of documentation by now. There are also many, many tutorials, and examples to help beginners like me out, so I am hopeful that I won't have much trouble creating my first simple programs, using Hollywood.

@DiscreetFX,

I don't believe that Mega_RJ_Mical is who you think he is, or has written any part of the original AmigaOS, but I suppose I could be wrong.

Templario 
Posted on 30-Apr-2020 10:35:20
#7 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave
You don't understand me, yes, there are good Hollywood documentation, PDF, guide, html, web site online documentation, but with a book Hollywood cans look as other programming languages like C, HTML, etc. more proffesional and when you speak that you use this language to the people they ask you what is this Hollywood? One book help them to know this language, for example I bough the two MorphOS books.

LarsB 
Posted on 30-Apr-2020 11:01:52
#8 ]

@amigadave

The problem is not the volume of the the docs. The examples are sometimes too compressed and not that easy to understand. But indeed you can do it this way. Forum, docs. It good to go from the easy start to more complex things because it has method. The first "Hello World" then more complex things. Sprites, windows, requester, sound. You imigination is the limit. But withour practice you cant reach anything.

BigD 
Posted on 30-Apr-2020 11:31:36
#9 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

A noble aim to get stuck in learning Hollywood. I have Zeb and Chris Forrester's edited and improved version of the Blitz Basic 2.1 manual to get into during the lock down and you've motivated me to give it a look shortly. Also the LightWave Power Guide is winking at me

jPV 
Posted on 30-Apr-2020 12:53:03
#10 ]
Cult Member

@Templario

Quote:

Templario wrote:
@amigadave
You don't understand me, yes, there are good Hollywood documentation, PDF, guide, html, web site online documentation, but with a book Hollywood cans look as other programming languages like C, HTML, etc. more proffesional and when you speak that you use this language to the people they ask you what is this Hollywood? One book help them to know this language, for example I bough the two MorphOS books.

I don't think having a book would make such a difference nowadays anymore. A good online documentation and forums beat them hands down.

Books get obsoleted when new versions of the language have been released, but online documentation can be updated in real time. And isn't it much easier to point out online content to people than telling that they should buy or lend a book?

I, for example, did learn Lua and Python in recent years by using their own online documentation and didn't need anything else. It didn't even cross my mind that I'd looked some books about them, I just don't care that kind of media for learning stuff anymore, because it's much easier to click links in function references etc. than start finding correct pages from a book.

And as said, Hollywood has a marvellous documentation and examples! We are privileged to have such a comprehensive documentation with it on the same price with the program. You really don't need anything else to learn the language and it would be waste of time for someone to write a book with practically the same content that's already available... and it would be outdated already within couple of years.

bison 
Posted on 30-Apr-2020 17:07:39
#11 ]
Elite Member

@jPV

Quote:
I, for example, did learn Lua and Python in recent years by using their own online documentation and didn't need anything else.

I do the same. I went from books almost exclusively in the 90s to online documentation. My favorite way to learn a new language is to copy over a program that I've written in a similar language, comment out the entire program, and then work from the top down, searching Stack Overflow as I go to figure things out.

What would be helpful in this situation is a Darek Banas Youtube video: Learn Hollywood in One Video. "Hello Internet..."

amigang 
Posted on 1-May-2020 6:26:04
#12 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

I to want to get better at coding in general and at Hollywood it is a great program/package.

Hollywood designer is also a great program, I like programs that let you build thing in a WYSIWYG way.

I wish more programs would give that helping hand in building things.

I will follow and hope some tutorials or least examples come out of this to help me and others to get better at it.

Plexus 
Posted on 3-Jul-2020 19:39:21
#13 ]

@All
Remake of exploding fist 2 with Hollywood
Fist3
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=brNWQsFwlD8
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hb_d5Frh6_k

Two more weeks! 😁

Last edited by Plexus on 03-Jul-2020 at 07:53 PM.

AmigaOne X5000, AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition Update 2 special super 2 cores prepared super edition v75 christmas speciale uniqe quadro prepared AmigaOS... TWO MORE YEARS IS NOTHING IF YOU BEEN WAITING SINCE 1994..

Samurai_Crow 
Posted on 4-Jul-2020 1:23:16
#14 ]
Elite Member

@Plexus

Cool!

@thread

Let me know when and where you want to start! I will be happy to give a hand!

Templario 
Posted on 4-Jul-2020 9:55:09
#15 ]
Elite Member

@Plexus
Congratulations for your game! You have got that I believe is possible make games with Hollywood besides of programs and board games.

AmigaOldskooler 
Posted on 4-Jul-2020 13:06:16
#16 ]

@Plexus

Nice! Looks great so far!

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle