Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
22 crawler(s) on-line.
 152 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  5 mins ago
 zipper:  18 mins ago
 Templario:  24 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  37 mins ago
 RobertB:  43 mins ago
 GPTNederlands:  58 mins ago
 janelancy:  59 mins ago
 -Sam-:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 52 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga never had a Keyboard Gate
Register To Post

PosterThread
DiscreetFX 
Amiga never had a Keyboard Gate
Posted on 8-May-2020 14:05:12
#1 ]
Elite Member

This week ends Apple’s 5 year keyboard drama. They sold a machines with highly reported defective keyboards for five(Ive) years. Now they have updated their last machine with this butterfly keyboard to something new thus killing butterfly. I believe this was the reason Johnny Ive left Apple. Rumors are that it was his design. Apples old Keyboard design worked great and didn’t need to be redesigned.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/4/21246223/macbook-keyboard-butterfly-magic-pro-apple-design

Full disclosure I have such a laptop from 2019 and never had a problem. All Amiga computers always came with a nice robust keyboard and never had this type of problem.

Even current Amigas like the X5000 let you add any keyboard that you want. It’s refreshing that Amiga got something right for a change.

Profile     Report this post  
Rob 
Re: Amiga never had a Keyboard Gate
Posted on 8-May-2020 14:07:28
#2 ]
Elite Member

@DiscreetFX

Quote:
They sold a machines with highly reported defective keyboards

They weren't defective defective people were just using them the wrong way.

coldacid 
Posted on 8-May-2020 14:27:50
#3 ]

@Rob

Quote:
They weren't defective defective people were just using them the wrong way.

Well, one would have to be defective to want a Mac anyway

klx300r 
Posted on 8-May-2020 15:16:22
#4 ]
Elite Member

@coldacid

indeed

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

jcassara 
Posted on 8-May-2020 23:46:21
#5 ]

@DiscreetFX

You're right. We never had a KeyboardGate, just terrible keyboards until the A3000. And if you're willing to go back further in CBM history, the original PET keyboard was loved by so very few.

kolla 
Posted on 9-May-2020 5:59:02
#6 ]
Elite Member

@DiscreetFX

You can add any keyboard you want on a mac as well, you know, the U in USB stands for ... universal. The “scandal” is just about laptops, and where is the Amiga laptop?

Everblue 
Posted on 9-May-2020 7:18:28
#7 ]
Cult Member

@DiscreetFX

Where is the Amiga laptop so we can try any keyboard? You can use any keyboard you want with non-laptop Apple computers.... you can also use an external keyboard with Apple laptops as well, for that matter.

kolla 
Posted on 9-May-2020 9:39:52
#8 ]
Elite Member

As for Amiga “keyboard gate”, how about the fact that CDTV, despite the official CDTV keyboard being an exact clone of the A3000 keyboard, only in black, and using PS/2 mini DIN as A4000 - uses different pinout - so you cannot just plug an A4000 keyboard to CDTV or vice versa. Same is case with early A2000s and their keyboards... and A1000 has RJ-plug, A1200 and A600 keyboards suffer from brittle membranes, A500 and A1200 use same, but different membranes, A500 and A2000 keyboards exist in several different types with slight compatibility issues, A600 keyboards and membranes exist in at least two different incompatible variants.... oh there is plenty to pick on here!! ;)

Last edited by kolla on 09-May-2020 at 12:36 PM.
Last edited by kolla on 09-May-2020 at 09:46 AM.

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 9-May-2020 12:48:33
#9 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

I solved the keyboard issue on my CDTV with a $3 adaptor. Then I found my original CDTV keyboard after I bought it.

kolla 
Posted on 9-May-2020 14:29:27
#10 ]
Elite Member

@DiscreetFX

Well, you have to know about the issue before you can make an adapter - never heard of anyone selling such adapter. I opened my CDTV keyboards and rewired it for use with CD32 - stupid commodore!

amigadave 
Posted on 9-May-2020 19:49:49
#11 ]

@kolla

Quote:

kolla wrote:
@DiscreetFX

Well, you have to know about the issue before you can make an adapter - never heard of anyone selling such adapter. I opened my CDTV keyboards and rewired it for use with CD32 - stupid commodore!

Very interesting and informative statements about all of the Amiga incompatibilities with different versions of keyboards. I only knew about the obvious differences between the connectors, both internal on A500/A1200/A600, and A2000/A3000 to A4000. I did not know that the CDTV keyboard was incompatible with the A4000, that is very stupid and strange. Does using a CDTV keyboard on an A4000 cause any damage to either?

Of course your statement above does not make much sense, that you opened up and rewired your CD32 keyboard for use with CD32 (but I'm guessing you meant use with your A4000).

Edit: My bad, I see that you wrote CDTV keyboard for use on CD32

Last edited by amigadave on 09-May-2020 at 07:52 PM.

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 9-May-2020 20:12:10
#12 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

Commodore did some strange things on CDTV. No standard Amiga joystick and mouse ports. No standard Amiga 2000/3000/4000 keyboard ports. I’m glad I found my CDTV keyboard. I had forgotten that I even had one. At least CDTV does have S-Video, Composite, MIDI and all the other Amiga ports. It would be cool to hunt down the rare DCTV for CDTV. I have the CDTV Genlock but it’s not very good. CDTV is my daily Amiga driver till I find my A3000 or restore my A4000 or buy a A600 or 1200.

amigadave 
Posted on 9-May-2020 21:48:39
#13 ]

@DiscreetFX

Quote:

DiscreetFX wrote:
@amigadave

Commodore did some strange things on CDTV. No standard Amiga joystick and mouse ports. No standard Amiga 2000/3000/4000 keyboard ports. I’m glad I found my CDTV keyboard. I had forgotten that I even had one. At least CDTV does have S-Video, Composite, MIDI and all the other Amiga ports. It would be cool to hunt down the rare DCTV for CDTV. I have the CDTV Genlock but it’s not very good. CDTV is my daily Amiga driver till I find my A3000 or restore my A4000 or buy a A600 or 1200.

I have the DCTV module for my CDTV. I'll check to see if I have a 2nd of it, and let you know. I have the CDTV that I bought from Carl Sassenrath during one of the AmiWest Shows several years ago. It was brand new in the box, which apparently had been sitting in Carl's basement for years along with some other Amiga gear. He finally sold all/most of it, and as I recall, he had 4 of these brand new CDTV's, and I got the last one. I had him and Dale Luck sign the inside of the case lid with silver felt tip marker, to give it even more nostalgia. The CDTV is my favorite Amiga model for looks, just wish there were more expansions for it, as it is too often over looked, because of its limited distribution. I also wish the CD drive was standard and replaceable, as even though mine has only seen very few hours of use, it is old tech, and won't last forever. I suppose I can still use it as a WHDLoad machine, even after the CD drive dies, with a few upgrades here and there. It would be cool if it had the power of a Vampire accelerator, as well as the increased number of colors, and resolution choices, but I don't think that the Vampire v500 will fit inside the CDTV case, and I don't want to hack the case, or run it without the lid installed.

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 9-May-2020 22:29:29
#14 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

Thanks for looking for that. It’s cool you got one of Carl’s CDTV’s. I wonder who got the other three of them. What software works with DCTV for CDTV? Anything special or different about Carl’s CDTV’s? He was one of the main developers on it and Irving Ghouled even loved it the ghoulish old chap.

Last edited by DiscreetFX on 09-May-2020 at 10:32 PM.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle