Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 100 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

zipper

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 zipper:  29 secs ago
 pixie:  8 mins ago
 bhabbott:  22 mins ago
 Birbo:  29 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 58 mins ago
 Beajar:  2 hrs 5 mins ago
 VooDoo:  2 hrs 57 mins ago
 Hammer:  3 hrs 12 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  3 hrs 31 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Developer Projects Forum
      /  AxRuntime
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
PosterThread
tygre 
Re: AxRuntime
Posted on 14-May-2020 14:22:55
#81 ]

@ferrels

Quote:
This axruntime library does nothing to improve the workflow of a coder who uses a cross compiler on Windows or Linux that targets the Amiga. The axrutime library is simply an API shim that makes porting Amiga source code to Linux easier, period, and you end up with a Linux x86 binary.

Then why are you in this thread? Please take your negativity somewhere else or, better, contribute something actually positive.

Profile     Report this post  
tygre 
Posted on 14-May-2020 14:26:00
#82 ]

@deadwood

Very cool project, thanks!
Keep up the good work

Cheers!

kolla 
Posted on 14-May-2020 20:36:47
#83 ]
Elite Member

@tygre

Quote:

tygre wrote:
@ferrels
Then why are you in this thread?

To make me look good? :)

Hypex 
Posted on 16-May-2020 17:14:38
#84 ]
Elite Member

@ferrels

Quote:
This effort is destined to fail and it hasn't even really started. I can't think of a single use-case for Linux users or even Amiga users. No one is clamoring to run Amiga apps under Linux.

Just to state the obvious, it brings Amiga apps to x86, and in an environment where it has a standard browser.

In future a small Linux build could be created where an Amiga desktop runs on top. With access to native Linux apps. Can't do much about the incompatible Linux DOS layer but same thing happened when MacOS was replaced by MacOSX.

Sure, AROS can run on x86, but I doubt that AROS apps could run as transparently as they would do when running directly on Linux itself.

sTix 
Posted on 16-May-2020 17:23:17
#85 ]

@deadwood

It's alive (sort of):

InstallerLG running on Debian

deadwood 
Posted on 16-May-2020 18:41:50
#86 ]

@sTix

Nice!

Did you noticed any more problems? How is the overall experience/ease of use?

As commented in the github ticket I'll take care of argc issues once I get network working.

Any more ports lined up? ;)

sTix 
Posted on 16-May-2020 20:28:39
#87 ]

@deadwood

Quote:

I'd say it's very easy to get going with this. It took me an hour or so to get this far. Having .deb packages is very convenient.

I haven't noticed any major problems except the argv/c problem yet, but I still have some way to go, the Amiga specific parts didn't like the transition to 64 bit (it's already a win in other words).

I did a quick test with Valgrind and there seems to be a few problems in there, leaks and use of uninitialized memory. But since I don't know the code base it's probably best to take that with a (big) grain of salt.

Quote:
Any more ports lined up? ;)

I need to get this one running properly first :)

Anonymous 
Posted on 17-May-2020 0:43:21
# ]

@ferrels

Quote:
This effort is destined to fail and it hasn't even really started.

Friend ferrels,

How has such darkness entered your soul, that you would disparage the efforts of a fellow Amigan? From whence came this superior knowledge that puffs you up? And where is the code you have written, that we may see it and judge for ourselves?

Has not one of the prophets said,
Quote:
For ye are all Children of Workbench, Brothers in Kickstart.

Friend ferrels, confess your sins, repent of your error, and come back into the glowing, effervescent aura of the Beneficent Boing Ball!

From the ambrosial litter box of

- RJ_THE_CAT

Report this post  
DiscreetFX 
Posted on 17-May-2020 2:16:23
#89 ]
Elite Member

@RJ_THE_CAT

I didn’t know cats could post on Amiga sites. Did you know Mitchy the dog by chance?

deadwood 
Posted on 17-May-2020 8:33:40
#90 ]

Quote:

sTix wrote:
@deadwood

Quote:

I'd say it's very easy to get going with this. It took me an hour or so to get this far. Having .deb packages is very convenient.

Glad to hear that :)

Quote:

the Amiga specific parts didn't like the transition to 64 bit (it's already a win in other words).

Had the same case with MPlayer. Hopefully in your case it is also mainly ULONG -> IPTR replacement.

ferrels 
Posted on 17-May-2020 8:40:35
#91 ]
Cult Member

@tygre

Quote:
Then why are you in this thread? Please take your negativity somewhere else or, better, contribute something actually positive.

Ooooo....that response took some real skill. What else do you have up your sleeve? Next thing you know you'll be telling me to "step off" or something else equally brilliant.

ferrels 
Posted on 17-May-2020 8:42:00
#92 ]
Cult Member

@kolla

Quote:
by kolla on 14-May-2020 13:36:47

@tygre

Quote:

tygre wrote:
@ferrels

Kolla, I couldn't make you look good to a dog even if I tied a pork chop around your neck!

OneTimer1 
Posted on 17-May-2020 13:17:09
#93 ]
Cult Member

@deadwood or @terminills

I'm a fan of AROS but I know how difficult it will be to move it into a up to date OS beyond AOS3 ...

AxRuntime seems to be different from hosted AROS, could someone please explain the main differences between AROS hosted and AxRuntime:

AROS hosted:
[x] own kernel running as one task on the host OS
AxRuntime:
[_] own kernel
[_] runtime with a API wrapper

AROS hosted:
[x] Grafix (RTG) generating its windows over X11, AOS3 compatible windows structures
AxRuntime:
[_] AOS3 compatible windows structures
[_] Wrapper for a limited set of AOS3 GFX calls

Last edited by OneTimer1 on 17-May-2020 at 02:57 PM.
Last edited by OneTimer1 on 17-May-2020 at 01:18 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 17-May-2020 17:20:53
#94 ]
Elite Member

@sTix

That's funny, it looks like an OS4 application running in a Linux window, a window in a window.

But if InstallerNG is Installer Next Generation, what's InstallerLG? Installer Last Generation?

tygre 
Posted on 17-May-2020 18:16:06
#95 ]

@kolla

Quote:

kolla wrote:
@tygre

Quote:

tygre wrote:
@ferrels

Indeed

tygre 
Posted on 17-May-2020 18:18:00
#96 ]

@Hypex

Quote:

Hypex wrote:
@sTix

That's funny, it looks like an OS4 application running in a Linux window, a window in a window.

But if InstallerNG is Installer Next Generation, what's InstallerLG? Installer Last Generation?

Hi Hypex!

Cool Could you post some pictures please? @Deadwood too if you have some

Cheers!

sTix 
Posted on 17-May-2020 19:51:07
#97 ]

@Hypex

Quote:

Yep, that's the plan, it's the last one. That's why it's open source. It's a scare crow, anyone who thinks it might be a fun project to reimplement the installer again will quickly change his mind after gaping into this abyss.

Hypex 
Posted on 18-May-2020 17:24:48
#98 ]
Elite Member

@tygre

sTix already posted a picture for you but here it is again.

Hypex 
Posted on 18-May-2020 17:27:51
#99 ]
Elite Member

@sTix

Ah, nice one, so it's from a lasting generation and not a previous one. I can only imagine what Installer would do to you. If you didn't speak with a lisp before writing an installer you'd certainly speak with a lisp after it!

paolone 
Posted on 21-May-2020 9:52:03
#100 ]

@ferrels

Quote:

ferrels wrote:
@NutsAboutAmiga

This effort is destined to fail and it hasn't even really started. I can't think of a single use-case for Linux users or even Amiga users. No one is clamoring to run Amiga apps under Linux.

The whole Amiga community is full of romantic-yet-pointless projects. The whole Amigaish PPC stuff - to start with - is a mere commercial operation aimed to put a bunch of crazy nostalgic guys into a dead-end technology ghetto, while no other sane guy in the real IT universe would ever buy an exotic, slow hardware for a insanely high price, just to run a obsolete operating system which has nothing in common with current mainstream ones.

My Icaros Desktop distribution suffers the same philosophical and technological limitations but, you see, as much as you wish the pointless and economically ill AmigaOS 4.x effort to continue, I would like to see AROS and other nostalgic projects to continue, although I perfectly know they will ever get nearing-to-none attention from the outside. It's getting harder and harder with time, though.

And no, please don't mention me the articles old amigans ox ex-amigans still publish, from time to time, on well established and popular websites. In the end, nostalgy - and NOT the chance to find something useful - is what drives those people to write, and people reading them will just smile for a moment, remembering how fun computing was when they had their beloved Amiga 500s with 1MB of RAM, think how much crazy we can be, and move along.

Quote:

Compiling an Amiga app via the axrutime yields nothing more than a Linux app. Linux already has a well established library of every type of app and tool imaginable and they are all more robust and feature-rich than ANYTHING that could be ported over from the Amiga.

Linux not only has the well estabilished library of every type of app and tool imaginable, it has thousands of applications no Amiga system will ever get and, guess what, that's not the best about Linux. Linux has something that Amigans forgot about : FREEDOM.

Freedom means that even if you have the well estabilished every type of libraries and apps, NOBODY stops you from writing another one. Maybe it will be basic and scarce at the beginning, but with good will and time, there is always the chance someone will find it useful and help you bringing it forward.

I love the AxRuntime idea because it can bring Wanderer, Magellan and other good Amiga things to work on Linux along with AxR-compiled Amiga and Linux-native applications. I sincerely hope to see Wanderer being compiled under AxRuntime being able to start Linux executables transparently. Or even better Magellan: I'd finally have on Linux a File Manager I really like, even with its undeniable limitations and old-style look.

Quote:

As a professional coder who loves the Amiga for what it is, I'd never even consider porting 68K or PPC Amiga apps to run under Linux or Windows. This is so ass-backwards that it's ridiculous. What the Amiga is needs is the total opposite. The Amiga needs apps ported FROM Windows and Linux, such as a decent web browser and an office suite. Porting Amiga apps TO Linux is a total waste of time and effort.

No, it's understanding and finally accepting REALITY: "it's dead, Jim".
[/quote]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle